Problems starting up and with hardware fault

marsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002

Hi, I think I have two problems but think they may be related. Sometimes my
pc will not boot up, it either doesn nothing, beeps like crazy or goes into
the BIOS with a message about 'during your last bootup your system hung for
an improper CPU spped.....'. Then I can get it going but each time it says
'found new hardware' this being a Multimedia Audio Controller. This then
starts to find the software but says it was unable to install due to an
error. I have no idea what this is all about and know only very basic
actions on the PC. Please can anyone give simple help?
Thanks

I think it is the constant beeping means a virus , but an improper CPU
speed could mean the jumpers on the motherboard or the Bios are set
incorrectly and possibly something else .
My Bios would not give me a message but a Blue Screen referred to as a BSOD
, Blue Screen of Death would , but the problem may not necessarily be a big
problem .
Which motherboard do you have in the computer .

"marsh" wrote:

> Hi, I think I have two problems but think they may be related. Sometimes my
> pc will not boot up, it either doesn nothing, beeps like crazy or goes into
> the BIOS with a message about 'during your last bootup your system hung for
> an improper CPU spped.....'. Then I can get it going but each time it says
> 'found new hardware' this being a Multimedia Audio Controller. This then
> starts to find the software but says it was unable to install due to an
> error. I have no idea what this is all about and know only very basic
> actions on the PC. Please can anyone give simple help?
> Thanks

marsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for your reply. I have scanned the h/d with no sign of a virus. I have
had the computer for 3 years without this problem. This morning the computer
wouldn't boot. However, when I opened the cd drive the computer booted up and
went into the bios giving the message about cpu speed. I saved the default
and exited and it worked fine. I know that if I switch it off, I will have
the problem again. My motherboard is a Asus A7A266-E.

"marsh" <marsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. I have scanned the h/d with no sign of a virus. I
> have
> had the computer for 3 years without this problem. This morning the
> computer
> wouldn't boot. However, when I opened the cd drive the computer booted up
> and
> went into the bios giving the message about cpu speed. I saved the default
> and exited and it worked fine. I know that if I switch it off, I will have
> the problem again. My motherboard is a Asus A7A266-E.

Your symptoms are those that would point me to a failing power supply. The
beeping during post does NOT have anything to do with a virus. It is a
hardware warning and there are different beep codes for different problems.
Most are for no video card (or bad one) and memory problems. Both can also
happen if the power supply is going haywire. What points me to the power
supply are the "no boot" and other problems going on. Fortunately, PSUs are
not a major expense if you can power down, unplug AC, unplug and replug in
your MB and peripherals yourself. If you have a shop do it, it can be
expensive. There are usually only 4 screws to remove and it should take an
hour or so. Make sure you get some tie-wraps to secure the wires neatly so
that you don't hinder airflow through the computer. If you already know all
this, I apologize.

Ed