CD player problem, HELP!

Doesn't anybody have any suggestions?

My CD player/burner has stopped working.
When I put a CD in the mouse pointer changes to a CD for a few seconds than
back to the regular pointer.
When I go and view the contents on the CD in Explorer there is nothing there
(no files). I have tied many different CD's (data, music & games) all with
the same results.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the CD player, no help.
I purchased a new CD player/burner and have the same results.
I think all my problems started back when I updated Media Player.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
P.
8 answers Last reply
More about player problem help

    Just a thought.... have you enabled Auto Start on the drive? What are the
    other settings when you click hardware? Best of luck to you
    Ron J

    "MXZRenegade7" wrote:

    > Doesn't anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    > My CD player/burner has stopped working.
    > When I put a CD in the mouse pointer changes to a CD for a few seconds than
    > back to the regular pointer.
    > When I go and view the contents on the CD in Explorer there is nothing there
    > (no files). I have tied many different CD's (data, music & games) all with
    > the same results.
    > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the CD player, no help.
    > I purchased a new CD player/burner and have the same results.
    > I think all my problems started back when I updated Media Player.
    >
    > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    > P.

    I think auto start was enabled, but I can't find the settings. Where would I
    check?
    Under the Hardware tab (properties) there are four other tabs: General,
    Properties, Volumes and Details.
    In the General tab, it states that the drive is enabled and working
    properly.
    Where else could I look?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Pete

    "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just a thought.... have you enabled Auto Start on the drive? What are
    > the
    > other settings when you click hardware? Best of luck to you
    > Ron J
    >

    > "MXZRenegade7" wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't anybody have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> My CD player/burner has stopped working.
    >> When I put a CD in the mouse pointer changes to a CD for a few seconds
    >> than
    >> back to the regular pointer.
    >> When I go and view the contents on the CD in Explorer there is nothing
    >> there
    >> (no files). I have tied many different CD's (data, music & games) all
    >> with
    >> the same results.
    >> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the CD player, no
    >> help.
    >> I purchased a new CD player/burner and have the same results.
    >> I think all my problems started back when I updated Media Player.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    >> P.

    Hey Pete,
    Sorry it took so long to post back. I just got in.
    Ok, To check if Auto Start is on =Start>My computer>
    Choose CD drive>click on Auto Play, 2nd choice on right in XP Pro> Click on
    the drop down folder and make your choice> Under Actions click Select Action
    To perform> you will see a choice depending on your fav. player etc, I use
    windows 10 works well and no troubles with it. > If you plan on using the CD
    drive the same way much of the time, I would leave the Prompt me each time
    option off, it can get to be a real pain> The hardware tab has a trouble
    shoot option that I find pretty good and you can also check your drivers> If
    you want this drive to record> click on Recordings> click enable CD recording
    on this drive> click the drop down window arrow> chose a drive for windows to
    store an image of the CD to> click the second drop down arrow> chose the
    best speed for your drive > tip: fastest is not always bestest > I prefer to
    click on the Auto eject afer writing, that is up to you> click apply> click
    Ok > cross fingers and put a CD in drive.! If it does not start> double
    click on Auto Start> sometimes I have to jump start my drive but after that
    it runs well for some time. I hope this was the info you were looking for
    Pete. Best of luck to you.
    Ron J

    enegade7" wrote:

    > I think auto start was enabled, but I can't find the settings. Where would I
    > check?
    > Under the Hardware tab (properties) there are four other tabs: General,
    > Properties, Volumes and Details.
    > In the General tab, it states that the drive is enabled and working
    > properly.
    > Where else could I look?
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Pete
    >
    > "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just a thought.... have you enabled Auto Start on the drive? What are
    > > the
    > > other settings when you click hardware? Best of luck to you
    > > Ron J
    > >

    > > "MXZRenegade7" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Doesn't anybody have any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> My CD player/burner has stopped working.
    > >> When I put a CD in the mouse pointer changes to a CD for a few seconds
    > >> than
    > >> back to the regular pointer.
    > >> When I go and view the contents on the CD in Explorer there is nothing
    > >> there
    > >> (no files). I have tied many different CD's (data, music & games) all
    > >> with
    > >> the same results.
    > >> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the CD player, no
    > >> help.
    > >> I purchased a new CD player/burner and have the same results.
    > >> I think all my problems started back when I updated Media Player.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    > >> P.

    Ron,
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I tried everything you suggested and still the system will not recognize
    anything in the CD player.
    I even rebooted a couple of times after making changes.
    I think I'm going to have to clear the hard drive and reload XP Home.
    It was my last resort, but I guess that's what I will need to do.
    Thanks again for your help,

    > Hey Pete,
    > Sorry it took so long to post back. I just got in.
    > Ok, To check if Auto Start is on =Start>My computer>
    > Choose CD drive>click on Auto Play, 2nd choice on right in XP Pro> Click
    > on
    > the drop down folder and make your choice> Under Actions click Select
    > Action
    > To perform> you will see a choice depending on your fav. player etc, I
    > use
    > windows 10 works well and no troubles with it. > If you plan on using the
    > CD
    > drive the same way much of the time, I would leave the Prompt me each time
    > option off, it can get to be a real pain> The hardware tab has a trouble
    > shoot option that I find pretty good and you can also check your drivers>
    > If
    > you want this drive to record> click on Recordings> click enable CD
    > recording
    > on this drive> click the drop down window arrow> chose a drive for windows
    > store an image of the CD to> click the second drop down arrow> chose the
    > best speed for your drive > tip: fastest is not always bestest > I prefer
    > click on the Auto eject afer writing, that is up to you> click apply>
    > click
    > Ok > cross fingers and put a CD in drive.! If it does not start> double
    > click on Auto Start> sometimes I have to jump start my drive but after
    > that
    > it runs well for some time. I hope this was the info you were looking
    > for
    > Pete. Best of luck to you.
    > Ron J
    >

    > enegade7" wrote:
    >

    >> I think auto start was enabled, but I can't find the settings. Where
    >> would I
    >> check?
    >> Under the Hardware tab (properties) there are four other tabs: General,
    >> Properties, Volumes and Details.
    >> In the General tab, it states that the drive is enabled and working
    >> properly.
    >> Where else could I look?
    >> Thanks for the reply.
    >> Pete
    >>
    >> "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Just a thought.... have you enabled Auto Start on the drive? What
    >> > are
    >> > the
    >> > other settings when you click hardware? Best of luck to you
    >> > Ron J

    Don't be so drastic.
    First, remove the player from the system first via Device manager, buy or
    borrow a couple of replacement leads, the let XP find the drive again.

    --

    johnf

    > Ron,
    > Thanks for all the advice.
    > I tried everything you suggested and still the system will not recognize
    > anything in the CD player.
    > I even rebooted a couple of times after making changes.
    > I think I'm going to have to clear the hard drive and reload XP Home.
    > It was my last resort, but I guess that's what I will need to do.
    > Thanks again for your help,
    > Pete
    >
    > "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Hey Pete,
    >> Sorry it took so long to post back. I just got in.
    >> Ok, To check if Auto Start is on =Start>My computer>
    >> Choose CD drive>click on Auto Play, 2nd choice on right in XP Pro>
    >> Click on
    >> the drop down folder and make your choice> Under Actions click Select
    >> Action
    >> To perform> you will see a choice depending on your fav. player etc, I
    >> use
    >> windows 10 works well and no troubles with it. > If you plan on using
    >> the CD
    >> drive the same way much of the time, I would leave the Prompt me each
    >> time option off, it can get to be a real pain> The hardware tab has a
    >> trouble shoot option that I find pretty good and you can also check
    >> your drivers> If
    >> you want this drive to record> click on Recordings> click enable CD
    >> recording
    >> on this drive> click the drop down window arrow> chose a drive for
    >> windows to
    >> store an image of the CD to> click the second drop down arrow> chose
    >> the best speed for your drive > tip: fastest is not always bestest > I
    >> prefer to
    >> click on the Auto eject afer writing, that is up to you> click apply>
    >> click
    >> Ok > cross fingers and put a CD in drive.! If it does not start>
    >> double click on Auto Start> sometimes I have to jump start my drive
    >> but after that
    >> it runs well for some time. I hope this was the info you were
    >> looking for
    >> Pete. Best of luck to you.
    >> Ron J
    >>

    >> enegade7" wrote:
    >>

    >>> I think auto start was enabled, but I can't find the settings. Where
    >>> would I
    >>> check?
    >>> Under the Hardware tab (properties) there are four other tabs:
    >>> General, Properties, Volumes and Details.
    >>> In the General tab, it states that the drive is enabled and working
    >>> properly.
    >>> Where else could I look?
    >>> Thanks for the reply.
    >>> Pete
    >>>
    >>> "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I will give this a try John but first I will need a little more info. (I'm
    not too technically orientated),
    I can uninstall the player with device manager (no problem),
    can you explain a little further about the replacement leads?
    Thanks,
    Pete

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > Don't be so drastic.
    > First, remove the player from the system first via Device manager, buy or
    > borrow a couple of replacement leads, the let XP find the drive again.
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> Ron,
    >> Thanks for all the advice.
    >> I tried everything you suggested and still the system will not recognize
    >> anything in the CD player.
    >> I even rebooted a couple of times after making changes.
    >> I think I'm going to have to clear the hard drive and reload XP Home.
    >> It was my last resort, but I guess that's what I will need to do.
    >> Thanks again for your help,
    >> Pete
    >>
    >> "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Hey Pete,
    >>> Sorry it took so long to post back. I just got in.
    >>> Ok, To check if Auto Start is on =Start>My computer>
    >>> Choose CD drive>click on Auto Play, 2nd choice on right in XP Pro>
    >>> Click on
    >>> the drop down folder and make your choice> Under Actions click Select
    >>> Action
    >>> To perform> you will see a choice depending on your fav. player etc, I
    >>> use
    >>> windows 10 works well and no troubles with it. > If you plan on using
    >>> the CD
    >>> drive the same way much of the time, I would leave the Prompt me each
    >>> time option off, it can get to be a real pain> The hardware tab has a
    >>> trouble shoot option that I find pretty good and you can also check
    >>> your drivers> If
    >>> you want this drive to record> click on Recordings> click enable CD
    >>> recording
    >>> on this drive> click the drop down window arrow> chose a drive for
    >>> windows to
    >>> store an image of the CD to> click the second drop down arrow> chose
    >>> the best speed for your drive > tip: fastest is not always bestest > I
    >>> prefer to
    >>> click on the Auto eject afer writing, that is up to you> click apply>
    >>> click
    >>> Ok > cross fingers and put a CD in drive.! If it does not start>
    >>> double click on Auto Start> sometimes I have to jump start my drive
    >>> but after that
    >>> it runs well for some time. I hope this was the info you were
    >>> looking for
    >>> Pete. Best of luck to you.
    >>> Ron J

    Well, replace the 40 or 80 lead you're currently using - (it's easy to see
    the difference between a 40 & an 80 = same width but more wiires) but FIRST
    make sure the original is fully plugged in B4 you do that (test to see if
    that rectifies the problem - (reboot)
    If that doesn't help, borrrow & replace all flat cables to the drive -
    possibly a faulty cable which I doubt, it's callled a 'sequentuel process
    of elimination'

    Next step if that fails is to borrow any oll CD drive, try that & let's know
    what happens then

    --

    johnf

    >I will give this a try John but first I will need a little more info.
    > (I'm not too technically orientated),
    > I can uninstall the player with device manager (no problem),
    > can you explain a little further about the replacement leads?
    > Thanks,
    > Pete
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Don't be so drastic.
    >> First, remove the player from the system first via Device manager, buy
    >> or borrow a couple of replacement leads, the let XP find the drive
    >> again.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> Ron,
    >>> Thanks for all the advice.
    >>> I tried everything you suggested and still the system will not
    >>> recognize anything in the CD player.
    >>> I even rebooted a couple of times after making changes.
    >>> I think I'm going to have to clear the hard drive and reload XP Home.
    >>> It was my last resort, but I guess that's what I will need to do.
    >>> Thanks again for your help,
    >>> Pete
    >>>
    >>> "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thank you.
    I will give this a try and report the results.

    > Well, replace the 40 or 80 lead you're currently using - (it's easy to see
    > the difference between a 40 & an 80 = same width but more wiires) but
    > FIRST make sure the original is fully plugged in B4 you do that (test to
    > see if that rectifies the problem - (reboot)
    > If that doesn't help, borrrow & replace all flat cables to the drive -
    > possibly a faulty cable which I doubt, it's callled a 'sequentuel process
    > of elimination'
    >
    > Next step if that fails is to borrow any oll CD drive, try that & let's
    > know what happens then
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >>I will give this a try John but first I will need a little more info.
    >> (I'm not too technically orientated),
    >> I can uninstall the player with device manager (no problem),
    >> can you explain a little further about the replacement leads?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Pete
    >>
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >>> Don't be so drastic.
    >>> First, remove the player from the system first via Device manager, buy
    >>> or borrow a couple of replacement leads, the let XP find the drive
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

Pointer Burner CD-Rom Windows XP