Non-standard hard drive connectors in Dells?

I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open it
up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the power
and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
data connectors use far fewer pins.

What are these connectors, and are these typical on large HD's or a Dell
proprietary connector? Are there any adapters available should I wish to
install a "standard connector" HD or mount the Dell HD in a different machie
to retrieve data?
6 answers Last reply
More about standard hard drive connectors dells

    They're likely SATA drives. Pretty much all new machines have SATA drives.

    Why not get a new drive under warranty?

    As for other drives, you can get an adapter to connect an 'traditional'
    drive (PATA) to your SATA connector. You can also get a PCI SATA card for
    other machines.

    Tom
    "DesignGuy" <dontbother@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open
    >it
    > up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the
    > power
    > and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
    > Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
    > data connectors use far fewer pins.
    >
    > What are these connectors, and are these typical on large HD's or a Dell
    > proprietary connector? Are there any adapters available should I wish to
    > install a "standard connector" HD or mount the Dell HD in a different
    > machie
    > to retrieve data?

    Did you order a Serial ATA hard disk for your computer?

    Ted Zieglar

    "DesignGuy" <dontbother@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open
    >it
    > up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the
    > power
    > and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
    > Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
    > data connectors use far fewer pins.
    >
    > What are these connectors, and are these typical on large HD's or a Dell
    > proprietary connector? Are there any adapters available should I wish to
    > install a "standard connector" HD or mount the Dell HD in a different
    > machie
    > to retrieve data?

    "DesignGuy" <dontbother@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open it
    >up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the power
    >and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
    >Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
    >data connectors use far fewer pins.

    Could this be SATA (Serial ATA) connections?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

    In article <uyHCd.751789$mD.167808@attbi_s02>, dontbother@nowhere.com
    says...

    > I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open it
    > up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the power
    > and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
    > Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
    > data connectors use far fewer pins.

    <snippety>

    Welcome to the Wonderful World of SATA drives.

    In other words, Serial ATA.

    Sorry... I still prefer SCSI.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    DesignGuy wrote:
    > I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I
    > open it up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold
    > both the power and data connectors are ones I've never seen before.
    > Usually they have a Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable
    > connector. But these new data connectors use far fewer pins.
    >
    > What are these connectors, and are these typical on large HD's or a
    > Dell proprietary connector? Are there any adapters available should I
    > wish to install a "standard connector" HD or mount the Dell HD in a
    > different machie to retrieve data?

    Probably a SATA drive - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

    Eventually these will replace PATA drives (the new name for the old IDE
    drives with the molex and ribbon cable).

    HTH,

    Pete.

    "DesignGuy" <dontbother@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I had a hard drive fail on a Dell Dimension, less than 1 year old. I open
    it
    > up to remove the failed 160GB hard drive - and lo and behold both the
    power
    > and data connectors are ones I've never seen before. Usually they have a
    > Molex power connector and a 40-pin ribbon cable connector. But these new
    > data connectors use far fewer pins.
    >
    > What are these connectors, and are these typical on large HD's or a Dell
    > proprietary connector? Are there any adapters available should I wish to
    > install a "standard connector" HD or mount the Dell HD in a different
    machie
    > to retrieve data?

    Thanks to all who posted. After reading the Wikipedia entries and looking at
    the photos, the drive is a SATA unit. I'd never seen one before, which is
    what threw me for a loop.

    Thanks again.

Dell Hard Drives HD Computers