Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Symantec virus protection window turned off pop up window ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 7:59:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Security Alert.

Virus Protection is turned off.

Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.


Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
Alerts. (Recommended)

Box with OK :) 


What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?

Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
Antivirus when i play games and stuff.

This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
Norton system works.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 7:59:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

See if this helps:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...

"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:f8b6311amg977dtpaq3605lbv0tqqolj88@4ax.com...
>
>
> Security Alert.
>
> Virus Protection is turned off.
>
> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>
>
> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
> Alerts. (Recommended)
>
> Box with OK :) 
>
>
> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>
> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>
> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
> Norton system works.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 8:31:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Server wont let me see it :( 


Got another link or somthing.


For the moment iam just leaving the box on screen.



On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:10:34 +0100, "José Gallardo"
<jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:

>See if this helps:
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...
>
>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:f8b6311amg977dtpaq3605lbv0tqqolj88@4ax.com...
>>
>>
>> Security Alert.
>>
>> Virus Protection is turned off.
>>
>> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>>
>>
>> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
>> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
>> Alerts. (Recommended)
>>
>> Box with OK :) 
>>
>>
>> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>>
>> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
>> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>>
>> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
>> Norton system works.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 8:31:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This?
http://tinyurl.com/64e7s

"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:bad631humm7sohv686tsoqe7grs7rfu1on@4ax.com...
>
>
> Server wont let me see it :( 
>
>
> Got another link or somthing.
>
>
> For the moment iam just leaving the box on screen.
>
>
>
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:10:34 +0100, "José Gallardo"
> <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:
>
>>See if this helps:
>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...
>>
>>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:f8b6311amg977dtpaq3605lbv0tqqolj88@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>
>>> Security Alert.
>>>
>>> Virus Protection is turned off.
>>>
>>> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>>>
>>>
>>> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
>>> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
>>> Alerts. (Recommended)
>>>
>>> Box with OK :) 
>>>
>>>
>>> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>>>
>>> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
>>> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>>>
>>> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
>>> Norton system works.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 8:31:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"José Gallardo" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>This?
>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s

That's the same page you gave a link to earlier. It addresses the
specific situation of a one-time alert, but the OP has a recurring
alert.

I have a similar one, and it's annoying: "Norton Anti-Virus is
Disabled" (or similar) -- it lasts about a second and then slides
down too quickly for me to read the text. I check in Norton and
it's enabled -- in fact the background scan display updates while I
watch.

I've gor NAV Full Version 9.0.0.338, according to "Help: About". I
wish I could get rid of that POS, but my college requires it as a
condition of connecting a personal machine to the network.


--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 9:03:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Error: Unable to find site's URL to redirect to.

UMM it no worky still.




On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:35:29 +0100, "José Gallardo"
<jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:

>This?
>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>
>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:bad631humm7sohv686tsoqe7grs7rfu1on@4ax.com...
>>
>>
>> Server wont let me see it :( 
>>
>>
>> Got another link or somthing.
>>
>>
>> For the moment iam just leaving the box on screen.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:10:34 +0100, "José Gallardo"
>> <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:
>>
>>>See if this helps:
>>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...
>>>
>>>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:f8b6311amg977dtpaq3605lbv0tqqolj88@4ax.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Security Alert.
>>>>
>>>> Virus Protection is turned off.
>>>>
>>>> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
>>>> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
>>>> Alerts. (Recommended)
>>>>
>>>> Box with OK :) 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>>>>
>>>> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
>>>> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>>>>
>>>> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
>>>> Norton system works.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>>
>>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 9:03:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You should try the first link I gave you. It's from Symantec. In any case, if you can go here:
http://www.symantec.com/index.htm
go to Knowledge Base and find your issue there.

"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:v6f631tcnao0cp704a20g6b6oev3mfe9df@4ax.com...
>
> Error: Unable to find site's URL to redirect to.
>
> UMM it no worky still.
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:35:29 +0100, "José Gallardo"
> <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:
>
>>This?
>>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>>
>>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:bad631humm7sohv686tsoqe7grs7rfu1on@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>
>>> Server wont let me see it :( 
>>>
>>>
>>> Got another link or somthing.
>>>
>>>
>>> For the moment iam just leaving the box on screen.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:10:34 +0100, "José Gallardo"
>>> <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>See if this helps:
>>>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...
>>>>
>>>>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:f8b6311amg977dtpaq3605lbv0tqqolj88@4ax.com...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Security Alert.
>>>>>
>>>>> Virus Protection is turned off.
>>>>>
>>>>> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
>>>>> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
>>>>> Alerts. (Recommended)
>>>>>
>>>>> Box with OK :) 
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
>>>>> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>>>>>
>>>>> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
>>>>> Norton system works.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>>>
>>>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 9:03:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"José Gallardo" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>You should try the first link I gave you. It's from Symantec. In any case, if you can go here:
>http://www.symantec.com/index.htm
>go to Knowledge Base and find your issue there.

Tried it -- I couldn't find anything that related to my problem.

I'd like to murder the idiot who thoughf up self-disappearing
notifications. I can't even give the exact wording of the message
because it doesn't stay around long enough for me to grab a pencil
and copy it.

It pops up a couple of times a day, with no particular pattern
relating to what programs I'm running or whteher I'm connected to
the Net.

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 7:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Stan Brown wrote:
> "José Gallardo" wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>
>>This?
>>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>
>
> That's the same page you gave a link to earlier. It addresses the
> specific situation of a one-time alert, but the OP has a recurring
> alert.
>
> I have a similar one, and it's annoying: "Norton Anti-Virus is
> Disabled" (or similar) -- it lasts about a second and then slides
> down too quickly for me to read the text. I check in Norton and
> it's enabled -- in fact the background scan display updates while I
> watch.
>
> I've gor NAV Full Version 9.0.0.338, according to "Help: About". I
> wish I could get rid of that POS, but my college requires it as a
> condition of connecting a personal machine to the network.
>
>

Hi,

I have been puzzled by a similar msg that slides past in the right
bottom corner of the screen which APPEARED to say that Norton was
disabled. I checked out all settings for my Systemworks Premier 2005 but
everything seemed o.k.

On reflection: could it be that when you disable XP's native firewall,
it will give you this msg becuase it doesn't realise you have Nortons
product installed?

Cheers,
L.M.Huesch
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 7:12:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Lutz Huesch" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>I have been puzzled by a similar msg that slides past in the right
>bottom corner of the screen which APPEARED to say that Norton was
>disabled. I checked out all settings for my Systemworks Premier 2005 but
>everything seemed o.k.
>
>On reflection: could it be that when you disable XP's native firewall,
>it will give you this msg becuase it doesn't realise you have Nortons
>product installed?

It could be, except that I have XP's native firewall enabled. :-)

After posting my rant, I kept pencil and paper next to my computer.
The exact message is
Symantec Antivirus
Auto-Protect is Disabled

I searched at Symantec's site; nada. I Googled the Web and the
newsgroups; nada. Last night I posted a query to alt.comp.anti-
virus with the message as subject line. I'll report back here if I
gat any useful replied.



--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 12:24:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Symantec Knowledge Base
We're Sorry ...

An error has occurred in the Symantec Knowledge Base.

This error will occur if you try to open a document for a discontinued
product.

For discontinued enterprise products, click here.
For discontinued consumer products, click here.

This error can also be due to a temporary problem with our servers.
Please try again later.

If you you are trying to access a document from the Symantec
Fax-On-Demand system, it is temporarily unavailable.




Thats what the first link gives me.

Thats no help to me.






On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:32:37 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>"José Gallardo" wrote in
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>This?
>>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>
>That's the same page you gave a link to earlier. It addresses the
>specific situation of a one-time alert, but the OP has a recurring
>alert.
>
>I have a similar one, and it's annoying: "Norton Anti-Virus is
>Disabled" (or similar) -- it lasts about a second and then slides
>down too quickly for me to read the text. I check in Norton and
>it's enabled -- in fact the background scan display updates while I
>watch.
>
>I've gor NAV Full Version 9.0.0.338, according to "Help: About". I
>wish I could get rid of that POS, but my college requires it as a
>condition of connecting a personal machine to the network.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 12:24:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I copy/paste from my first link:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing XP Service Pack 2
Situation:
After you run LiveUpdate, install Windows® XP Service Pack 2, or install a Norton 2005 security product, a Symantec Security Alert appears.


Solution:



Before you begin: This page is about one specific situation: You see a Symantec Security Alert immediately after you run LiveUpdate, install Windows® XP Service Pack 2, or install a Norton 2005 security product. You will see this type of Symantec Security Alert one time only and the first line of text is "Your computer security is monitored by:."

If you see a Symantec Security Alert later and first line of text is "Your computer is at risk in the following area," read A Symantec Security Alert states that "Your computer is at risk. . ."


More specifically, when does this alert happen?
You are using Windows XP and one of these lines is true:
You are running Service Pack 2 and LiveUpdate downloads and installs the current Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) for a Norton 2002/2003/2004 security product. The security product could be Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003/2004, Norton Internet Security 2002/2003/2004, or Norton Personal Firewall 2002/2003/2004.
You are running Service Pack 2 and you install a Norton 2005 security product.
You install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2004 or 2005 security product installed.

Read the section for the products that you have installed.



Norton 2002/2003/2004 products
The Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) is available for Norton 2002/2003/2004 security products. This is an updated version of the Norton WMI that was released previously.

When the updated version is installed on a Windows XP computer running Service Pack 2 (whether or not the WMI was previously installed)

or

You install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2002/2003/2004 product installed

the following dialog box displays:



Notes:
This picture shows what you would see if you have Norton Internet Security 2004 (which includes Norton AntiVirus) installed. If you have only Norton AntiVirus installed, you will not see the words "Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall."
If you see a security alert that differs from what is shown here, you may not have the current version of the Norton WMI Update. Run LiveUpdate and download all available updates. Continue running LiveUpdate until there are no other updates available.

When the Symantec Security Alert appears after installation or upgrade as mentioned above, you will see one or both of the following check boxes:


To prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing Norton product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security Center alerts. (Recommended).

If you leave this box checked (which we recommend) it will suppress duplicate security status alerting from the Windows Security Center. The Norton software will rely on its own security status alerting to provide details on the security status of your Norton security software.
If you uncheck this box, security status alerts from the Windows Security Center will appear in addition to alerts from your Norton security products.


Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall. (Recommended)

This turns off the Windows firewall and allows Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to provide your firewall protection. (It is not necessary nor recommended to run two software firewalls on the same computer at the same time.)


Norton 2005 products
The Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) is included in Norton 2005 security products. When you install a Norton 2005 security product on a Windows XP computer running Service Pack 2, or you install Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2005 security product installed, the following dialog box displays
When the Symantec Security Alert appears after installation or upgrade as mentioned above, you will see one or both of the following check boxes:

Do not share Norton security status with other products (Recommended)
Checked: When this option is checked, Symantec is responsible for reporting on the status of the Norton security programs installed on your computer.
Unchecked: When this option is unchecked, you do not receive Symantec Security Alerts to alert you when your Norton programs are disabled or out of date.

Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall. (Recommended)

This turns off the Windows firewall and allows Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to provide your firewall protection. (It is not necessary nor recommended to run two software firewalls on the same computer at the same time).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviusly, the displays are not shown.

"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:c658315fq7s8i21o9nufb1ht6c2pv8sh6s@4ax.com...
>
>
>
> Symantec Knowledge Base
> We're Sorry ...
>
> An error has occurred in the Symantec Knowledge Base.
>
> This error will occur if you try to open a document for a discontinued
> product.
>
> For discontinued enterprise products, click here.
> For discontinued consumer products, click here.
>
> This error can also be due to a temporary problem with our servers.
> Please try again later.
>
> If you you are trying to access a document from the Symantec
> Fax-On-Demand system, it is temporarily unavailable.
>
>
>
>
> Thats what the first link gives me.
>
> Thats no help to me.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:32:37 -0500, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>"José Gallardo" wrote in
>>microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>>This?
>>>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>>
>>That's the same page you gave a link to earlier. It addresses the
>>specific situation of a one-time alert, but the OP has a recurring
>>alert.
>>
>>I have a similar one, and it's annoying: "Norton Anti-Virus is
>>Disabled" (or similar) -- it lasts about a second and then slides
>>down too quickly for me to read the text. I check in Norton and
>>it's enabled -- in fact the background scan display updates while I
>>watch.
>>
>>I've gor NAV Full Version 9.0.0.338, according to "Help: About". I
>>wish I could get rid of that POS, but my college requires it as a
>>condition of connecting a personal machine to the network.
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 2:44:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Does that give you a headache reading that? Or is it just me ?


I don;t realy understand it i can't find a way to stop the box coming
up when i turn off my virus protection :( 




On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:42:01 +0100, "José Gallardo"
<jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote:

>I copy/paste from my first link:
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing XP Service Pack 2
>Situation:
>After you run LiveUpdate, install Windows® XP Service Pack 2, or install a Norton 2005 security product, a Symantec Security Alert appears.
>
>
>Solution:
>
>
>
>Before you begin: This page is about one specific situation: You see a Symantec Security Alert immediately after you run LiveUpdate, install Windows® XP Service Pack 2, or install a Norton 2005 security product. You will see this type of Symantec Security Alert one time only and the first line of text is "Your computer security is monitored by:."
>
>If you see a Symantec Security Alert later and first line of text is "Your computer is at risk in the following area," read A Symantec Security Alert states that "Your computer is at risk. . ."
>
>
>More specifically, when does this alert happen?
>You are using Windows XP and one of these lines is true:
>You are running Service Pack 2 and LiveUpdate downloads and installs the current Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) for a Norton 2002/2003/2004 security product. The security product could be Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003/2004, Norton Internet Security 2002/2003/2004, or Norton Personal Firewall 2002/2003/2004.
>You are running Service Pack 2 and you install a Norton 2005 security product.
>You install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2004 or 2005 security product installed.
>
>Read the section for the products that you have installed.
>
>
>
>Norton 2002/2003/2004 products
>The Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) is available for Norton 2002/2003/2004 security products. This is an updated version of the Norton WMI that was released previously.
>
>When the updated version is installed on a Windows XP computer running Service Pack 2 (whether or not the WMI was previously installed)
>
>or
>
>You install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2002/2003/2004 product installed
>
>the following dialog box displays:
>
>
>
>Notes:
>This picture shows what you would see if you have Norton Internet Security 2004 (which includes Norton AntiVirus) installed. If you have only Norton AntiVirus installed, you will not see the words "Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall."
>If you see a security alert that differs from what is shown here, you may not have the current version of the Norton WMI Update. Run LiveUpdate and download all available updates. Continue running LiveUpdate until there are no other updates available.
>
>When the Symantec Security Alert appears after installation or upgrade as mentioned above, you will see one or both of the following check boxes:
>
>
>To prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing Norton product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security Center alerts. (Recommended).
>
>If you leave this box checked (which we recommend) it will suppress duplicate security status alerting from the Windows Security Center. The Norton software will rely on its own security status alerting to provide details on the security status of your Norton security software.
>If you uncheck this box, security status alerts from the Windows Security Center will appear in addition to alerts from your Norton security products.
>
>
>Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall. (Recommended)
>
>This turns off the Windows firewall and allows Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to provide your firewall protection. (It is not necessary nor recommended to run two software firewalls on the same computer at the same time.)
>
>
>Norton 2005 products
>The Norton Windows Management Instrumentation Update (WMI) is included in Norton 2005 security products. When you install a Norton 2005 security product on a Windows XP computer running Service Pack 2, or you install Service Pack 2 on a computer that already has a Norton 2005 security product installed, the following dialog box displays
>When the Symantec Security Alert appears after installation or upgrade as mentioned above, you will see one or both of the following check boxes:
>
>Do not share Norton security status with other products (Recommended)
>Checked: When this option is checked, Symantec is responsible for reporting on the status of the Norton security programs installed on your computer.
>Unchecked: When this option is unchecked, you do not receive Symantec Security Alerts to alert you when your Norton programs are disabled or out of date.
>
>Use my Norton Internet Protection instead of Windows Firewall. (Recommended)
>
>This turns off the Windows firewall and allows Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to provide your firewall protection. (It is not necessary nor recommended to run two software firewalls on the same computer at the same time).
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Obviusly, the displays are not shown.
>
>"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:c658315fq7s8i21o9nufb1ht6c2pv8sh6s@4ax.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> Symantec Knowledge Base
>> We're Sorry ...
>>
>> An error has occurred in the Symantec Knowledge Base.
>>
>> This error will occur if you try to open a document for a discontinued
>> product.
>>
>> For discontinued enterprise products, click here.
>> For discontinued consumer products, click here.
>>
>> This error can also be due to a temporary problem with our servers.
>> Please try again later.
>>
>> If you you are trying to access a document from the Symantec
>> Fax-On-Demand system, it is temporarily unavailable.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Thats what the first link gives me.
>>
>> Thats no help to me.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:32:37 -0500, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>>"José Gallardo" wrote in
>>>microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>>>This?
>>>>http://tinyurl.com/64e7s
>>>
>>>That's the same page you gave a link to earlier. It addresses the
>>>specific situation of a one-time alert, but the OP has a recurring
>>>alert.
>>>
>>>I have a similar one, and it's annoying: "Norton Anti-Virus is
>>>Disabled" (or similar) -- it lasts about a second and then slides
>>>down too quickly for me to read the text. I check in Norton and
>>>it's enabled -- in fact the background scan display updates while I
>>>watch.
>>>
>>>I've gor NAV Full Version 9.0.0.338, according to "Help: About". I
>>>wish I could get rid of that POS, but my college requires it as a
>>>condition of connecting a personal machine to the network.
>>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 19, 2005 1:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Stan Brown" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>After posting my rant, I kept pencil and paper next to my computer.
>The exact message is
> Symantec Antivirus
> Auto-Protect is Disabled
>
>I searched at Symantec's site; nada. I Googled the Web and the
>newsgroups; nada. Last night I posted a query to alt.comp.anti-
>virus with the message as subject line. I'll report back here

And unfortunately I got no useful replies there either.

I wish I could uninstall Symantec and install a better product, but
my college?s IT department insists on Symnatec. Sigh.

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 2, 2005 12:43:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm getting the same thing on my laptop. I've got the same version of NAV
2003 Professional Edition running under Windows XP Pro SP2.

After installing SP2, I needed to reinstall NAV because my subscription had
expired. This occurred on both my desktop and laptop. After reinstalling
and running liveupdate on them, Norton pops up and asks if you want to use
their security alerts (recommended). I made sure to uncheck that box on my
desktop and think I did the same on the laptop. However, several weeks ago,
the Security Alert started popping up on the laptop. I've tried finding
where to change this but haven't been able to. I've gone to the Windows
Security Center and clicked on "Change the way Security Center alerts me". I
noticed that the check mark next to the Virus notification was missing so I
checked it and the Norton Security Alert was replaced by the normal Windows
alert. This only lasted until the next reboot, then it reverted to the
Norton Security Alert and the checkmark disappeared.

I've read the Symantec knowledgebase article and it basically says nothing!
I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling NAV. Same thing happens. I've
scanned the Symantec knowledgebase for this and found nothing but the article
that Jose suggested.

If anyone else has had this problem and fixed it, let me know!

Thanks,

ClemP

"Plasma BOY" wrote:

>
>
> Security Alert.
>
> Virus Protection is turned off.
>
> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>
>
> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
> Alerts. (Recommended)
>
> Box with OK :) 
>
>
> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>
> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>
> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
> Norton system works.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2005 9:54:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Plasma BOY" wrote:

>
>
> Security Alert.
>
> Virus Protection is turned off.
>
> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>
>
> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
> Alerts. (Recommended)
>
> Box with OK :) 
>
>
> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>
> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>
> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
> Norton system works.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2005 9:58:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Plasma BOY" wrote:

>
>
> Security Alert.
>
> Virus Protection is turned off.
>
> Open your Norton Product to Reslove these issuses.
>
>
> Tick box. To Prevent duplicate security status alerts, use my existing
> Norton product alerts and turn off redundant windows. Security centre
> Alerts. (Recommended)
>
> Box with OK :) 
>
>
> What does this mean. If i click on it just comes back ?
>
> Where woudl i turn this off. I turn off auto protect for Norton
> Antivirus when i play games and stuff.
>
> This box has never poped up before. Untill i did a live update of my
> Norton system works.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2005 7:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am getting the exact same annoying alert and it is starting to tick me
off royally.

I have no idea where to go to turn it off and Norton has also told me
that my AGV anti-virus is out of date (we don't want to spend more
money on it. Their Internet Security cost $100). Reliable and the best
computer protection? HA!! Give me a break.

Why do we have to spend money on a TOLL FREE number? We want HELP. It's
bad enough that one CD cost $100 and that it doesn't protect the
computer 100%.

Not only that, I have to disable Norton's security in order to post on
a forum I frequent. Can someone tell me why? I've nearly had it with
Norton.


--
Miss Carlos
!