Greetings I need help with my mono green deck

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Deck Name: The Last Stand

Deck List:

Lands: - 20
1x Tree of Tales
19x Forests

Creatures: -23
1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
1x Rootbreaker Wurm
1x Ancient Ooze
1x Krosan Groundshaker
1x Living Hive
1 x Primeval Force
1x Ageless Entity
2x Silklash Spider
2x Spitting Spider
2x Symbiotic Wurm
2x Plated Slugwurm
4x Vine Trellis
4x Wood Elves

Spells: - 22
1x Call of the Wild
1x Claws of the Wirewood
1x Squall
1x Predator's Strike
1x Overrun
2x Vernal Bloom
2x Decree of Savegery
2x Explosive Vegetation
3x Stream of Life
4x Rampant Growth
4x Giant Growth

This deck is created for casual play I don't intend to play in any
tournaments. The Last Stand is maybe slow at the first look but when the
forest starts to grow more bigger creatures come into play. The only problem
is that sometimes I can't get them out from the library in time. I've fixed
the mana flow with V. Trellis, R. Growth, Expl. Vegetation, V. Bloom and W.
Elves, I have plenty of forests for Wurms, Elementals and other creatures
but they often come later in game. I'm wandering how to find them when I
need them. Friend suggested that I splash in some other color to back them
up, but I want to play mone green, I don't want to play the ''standard'' Elf
or Beast deck.Can you give me some pointers, advices how to impoove this
deck because I love my little wurms and don't want to see them left out from
the Last Stand. Deck suffers against weenie decks(Elf's, Wizard's I haven't
played against Goblins but I presume they woud crush me also :O)).

Thanks in advance.

YT. Samurai
--
''Thusfar thou have been adrift in the sheltered harbour of my patience...
and now, a storm is coming...''

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

First, if you're going to run mana-fixers, you need to run 4.

I have a "elf-core" that I like to use for a nice mana base. It gets big
pretty fast, and can hold its own against other weenies all right:
4 - Llanowar Elves (the classic, if you don't have 4 go buy 4)
4 - Wellwisher (they help boost the life and draw fire away from your
mana producers)
4 - Wirewood Channelers (These guys can PUMP mana with a few elves out,
and it's any color too, a nice bonus)
4 - Timberwatch Elves (These guys are for defense, but they also play well
with your nasties, and can take the place of giant growth or other boosters)

That's the core for me. I like to toss in Wirewood Hivemaster, just cuz
he's fun, and sometimes Caller of the Claw in case my elves get smooshed by
some other vicious mage. But those 4 are the core.

I don't know if this is "typical" elf, but it's what I use.

A couple of other cards that are especially synergistic:
- Wirewood Lodge (allows you to untap an elf, to double-mana, double-life,
or double-boost...)
- Elvish Guidance (an extra G *for each Elf* whenever you tap enchanted
land)

Another thing to look at would be Cloudposts. These go from 1 to 4 to 9 to
16, which is a LOT of mana, and you can fetch them with Sylvan Scrying (1G),
which effectively doubles your chances. Another one would be the Urzatron,
but you only get 8 total mana when it's all put together, which is clearly
less than 9, and you only get *2* when it's not put together, as opposed to
the 4 with Cloudposts.

These have done well for me and are pretty speedy in a casual atmosphere.
Peter

"Samurai" <npaut@inet.hr> wrote in message
> Deck Name: The Last Stand
>
> Deck List:
>
> Lands: - 20
> 1x Tree of Tales
> 19x Forests
>
> Creatures: -23
> 1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
> 1x Rootbreaker Wurm
> 1x Ancient Ooze
> 1x Krosan Groundshaker
> 1x Living Hive
> 1 x Primeval Force
> 1x Ageless Entity
> 2x Silklash Spider
> 2x Spitting Spider
> 2x Symbiotic Wurm
> 2x Plated Slugwurm
> 4x Vine Trellis
> 4x Wood Elves
>
> Spells: - 22
> 1x Call of the Wild
> 1x Claws of the Wirewood
> 1x Squall
> 1x Predator's Strike
> 1x Overrun
> 2x Vernal Bloom
> 2x Decree of Savegery
> 2x Explosive Vegetation
> 3x Stream of Life
> 4x Rampant Growth
> 4x Giant Growth
>
> This deck is created for casual play I don't intend to play in any
> tournaments. The Last Stand is maybe slow at the first look but when the
> forest starts to grow more bigger creatures come into play. The only
problem
> is that sometimes I can't get them out from the library in time. I've
fixed
> the mana flow with V. Trellis, R. Growth, Expl. Vegetation, V. Bloom and
W.
> Elves, I have plenty of forests for Wurms, Elementals and other creatures
> but they often come later in game. I'm wandering how to find them when I
> need them. Friend suggested that I splash in some other color to back them
> up, but I want to play mone green, I don't want to play the ''standard''
Elf
> or Beast deck.Can you give me some pointers, advices how to impoove this
> deck because I love my little wurms and don't want to see them left out
from
> the Last Stand. Deck suffers against weenie decks(Elf's, Wizard's I
haven't
> played against Goblins but I presume they woud crush me also :O)).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> YT. Samurai
> --
> ''Thusfar thou have been adrift in the sheltered harbour of my patience...
> and now, a storm is coming...''

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

First you need to grow your number of land at 45 spells cards you need
certainly around 27-30 lands.
You don't have enough life gaining spells to use with Ageless Entity.
Add some nourrish (GG, gain 6 lifes).

Carl

Samurai wrote:

>Deck Name: The Last Stand
>
>Deck List:
>
>Lands: - 20
>1x Tree of Tales
>19x Forests
>
>Creatures: -23
>1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
>1x Rootbreaker Wurm
>1x Ancient Ooze
>1x Krosan Groundshaker
>1x Living Hive
>1 x Primeval Force
>1x Ageless Entity
>2x Silklash Spider
>2x Spitting Spider
>2x Symbiotic Wurm
>2x Plated Slugwurm
>4x Vine Trellis
>4x Wood Elves
>
>Spells: - 22
>1x Call of the Wild
>1x Claws of the Wirewood
>1x Squall
>1x Predator's Strike
>1x Overrun
>2x Vernal Bloom
>2x Decree of Savegery
>2x Explosive Vegetation
>3x Stream of Life
>4x Rampant Growth
>4x Giant Growth
>
>This deck is created for casual play I don't intend to play in any
>tournaments. The Last Stand is maybe slow at the first look but when the
>forest starts to grow more bigger creatures come into play. The only problem
>is that sometimes I can't get them out from the library in time. I've fixed
>the mana flow with V. Trellis, R. Growth, Expl. Vegetation, V. Bloom and W.
>Elves, I have plenty of forests for Wurms, Elementals and other creatures
>but they often come later in game. I'm wandering how to find them when I
>need them. Friend suggested that I splash in some other color to back them
>up, but I want to play mone green, I don't want to play the ''standard'' Elf
>or Beast deck.Can you give me some pointers, advices how to impoove this
>deck because I love my little wurms and don't want to see them left out from
>the Last Stand. Deck suffers against weenie decks(Elf's, Wizard's I haven't
>played against Goblins but I presume they woud crush me also :O)).
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>YT. Samurai
>--
>''Thusfar thou have been adrift in the sheltered harbour of my patience...
>and now, a storm is coming...''

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

He's got a lot of mana sources in the deck. Wild Growths, Rampant Growth,
Wood Elves, Vine Trellis, Explosive Vegetation, and Vernal Bloom. You could
add in Birds of Paradise for a more explosive start. Turn one Forest, Birds
of Paradise. Second turn Forest, Wood Elves, Forest, Wirewood Symbiote
(explanation more below). Return Wood Elves back to your hand at the end of
your opponent's turn. Third turn, Explosive Vegetation. Six mana sources on
turn three. That can pretty much win you the game from that point on...

Something I would suggest is getting Wirewood Symbiote because of its
synergy with Wood Elves. What do I mean? Put out Wood Elves, put in a forest
into play UNTAPPED. Then attack recklessly with one of your fatties with a
Symbiote in play. When they decide to attack you, use Symbiote's ability to
return the Wood Elves back to your hand and untap the fattie to block it.
You get to use Wood Elves again and again with Symbiote, thin out your deck
and untap fatties.

So add in:
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Wirewood Symbiotes

For what to take out, I have no idea right now. It's up to you and what you
want to do. I would go with more superior fatties, like Darksteel Colossus
and Sundering Titan. They make for some really fun games.

// Ed Pham

"Carl Joly" <palomides@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
Elf
> >or Beast deck.Can you give me some pointers, advices how to impoove this
> >deck because I love my little wurms and don't want to see them left out
from
> >the Last Stand. Deck suffers against weenie decks(Elf's, Wizard's I
haven't
> >played against Goblins but I presume they woud crush me also :O)).
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >YT. Samurai
> >--
> >''Thusfar thou have been adrift in the sheltered harbour of my
patience...
> >and now, a storm is coming...''

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Very nice thank you for the advice. But here where I live it could be a
problem to acquire 4 birds of paradise but I like the way you think. This
shall be nice when I get BoP and Wirewood Symbiotes. hehehe thanks again

Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

"Samurai" <npaut@inet.hr> wrote in message news:<c8g781$n2c$1@sunce.iskon.hr>...
> Deck Name: The Last Stand
>
> Deck List:
>
> Lands: - 20
> 1x Tree of Tales
> 19x Forests
>
> Creatures: -23
> 1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
> 1x Rootbreaker Wurm
> 1x Ancient Ooze
> 1x Krosan Groundshaker
> 1x Living Hive
> 1 x Primeval Force
> 1x Ageless Entity
> 2x Silklash Spider
> 2x Spitting Spider
> 2x Symbiotic Wurm
> 2x Plated Slugwurm
> 4x Vine Trellis
> 4x Wood Elves
>
> Spells: - 22
> 1x Call of the Wild
> 1x Claws of the Wirewood
> 1x Squall
> 1x Predator's Strike
> 1x Overrun
> 2x Vernal Bloom
> 2x Decree of Savegery
> 2x Explosive Vegetation
> 3x Stream of Life
> 4x Rampant Growth
> 4x Giant Growth
>
> I'm wondering how to find them when I need them.

You could tutor for them:

Fierce Empath
2G, Creature Elf 1/1, Scourge Common
When Fierce Empath comes into play, you may search your library for a
creature card with converted mana cost 6 or more, reveal it, and put
it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Or you could shrink your deck for more consistent draws:

Lose Ageless Entity, Stream of Life, Squall.

Or you could add some more cyclers and cantrips to your deck to
increase your draw power:

Replace Tree of Tales with Tranquil Thicket.
Work in Krosan Tusker, Primal Boost, Wirewood Guardian, Elvish
Aberration.
Yavimaya Elder, Heart Warden cycle from play.
Wall of Blossoms, Aggressive Urge, Vivify seem to fit.

mypetrock

"Risser Family" <news@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<G0Oqc.3650$Uq1.2983@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> First, if you're going to run mana-fixers, you need to run 4.
>
> I have a "elf-core" that I like to use for a nice mana base. It gets big
> pretty fast, and can hold its own against other weenies all right:
> 4 - Llanowar Elves (the classic, if you don't have 4 go buy 4)
> 4 - Wellwisher (they help boost the life and draw fire away from your
> mana producers)
> 4 - Wirewood Channelers (These guys can PUMP mana with a few elves out,
> and it's any color too, a nice bonus)
> 4 - Timberwatch Elves (These guys are for defense, but they also play well
> with your nasties, and can take the place of giant growth or other boosters)

Just a thought--Priest of Titania would also work very well here.

Priest of Titania
Elf
1G
1/1
Tap: Add one green mana to your mana pool for each elf in play.

I hope that helps.

Scott

"Samurai" <npaut@inet.hr> wrote in message news:<c8gonl$2a4$1@sunce.iskon.hr>...
> Very nice thank you for the advice. But here where I live it could be a
> problem to acquire 4 birds of paradise but I like the way you think. This
> shall be nice when I get BoP and Wirewood Symbiotes. hehehe thanks again

I love mono green - My Fave! Bops are always hard to get and
expensive. If you have access to some older commons, you might look
for Fyndhorn Elves (or Elders) from Ice Age. Elders are in 8th also,
but they cost 2G. Elves on Steroids, we called 'em.

Mike McC

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > Deck Name: The Last Stand

Considering the name of the deck I think there are only three cards
you need.

Last stand
Panoptic Mirror
Viridian Joiner (Fifth Dawn card)

Tons of saprolings for you! Maybe add another Kamahl to get the
multiple Overrun action flowing:)

zelf_gale@yahoo.com (zelf gale) wrote in message news:<d22e8440.0405221626.41008d9d@posting.google.com>...
> > > Deck Name: The Last Stand
>
> Considering the name of the deck I think there are only three cards
> you need.
>
> Last stand
> Panoptic Mirror
> Viridian Joiner (Fifth Dawn card)
>
> Tons of saprolings for you! Maybe add another Kamahl to get the
> multiple Overrun action flowing:)

Isn't Viridian Joiner from Mirrodin?

-Viridian Joiner 2G
-Elf Druid

(T)Add an amount of (G) to your mana
pool equal to Viridian Joiner's power.
1/2

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Isn't Viridian Joiner from Mirrodin?

My bad, I meant to say Joiner Adept.

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Heheh thanks Zelf i shall try to find another Kamahl :O)
Now with this one i have a leader of this forsaken forest. And this weekend
i defeated my friends elf -beast deck 4:1 :O) Kamahl did a nice job of
giving power to wurms and elementals :O)
thanks for the advice again