How do you uncompress a disk that's compressed???

King

I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to know how
can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on the disk with
windows XP.

King wrote:
> I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to
> know how can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on
> the disk with windows XP.

Uncompress the data with the same application you used to compress it..
What did you use?

--
<- Shenan ->

King

I used Windows 98 and I don't have that anymore I have XP what do I do??

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> King wrote:
> > I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to
> > know how can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on
> > the disk with windows XP.
>
> Uncompress the data with the same application you used to compress it..
> What did you use?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

King

How can I do that if I have windows xp and I don't have windows 98 any more?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> King wrote:
> > I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to
> > know how can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on
> > the disk with windows XP.
>
> Uncompress the data with the same application you used to compress it..
> What did you use?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

You have to "mount" the compressed disk using the same operating system that
you used to compress it. Then you can copy the files to a folder in an
uncompressed state. After that, do what is necessary.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"King" <King@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to know how
> can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on the disk with
> windows XP.

If you used Drivespace to compress the drive, then you need to use
DriveSpace to uncompress.. DriveSpace is incompatible with XP.. you will
have to re-install Win 98 to recover the drive back..

Uncompressing will also render the drive back to its original size.. XP, SP2
and whatever else may not fit too well..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"King" <King@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to know how
> can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on the disk with
> windows XP.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"King" <King@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a disk that I compressed when Windows 98 was out. I want to know
>how
> can I uncompress that disk or how can I retrieve the data on the disk
> with
> windows XP.

Do you have another computer running Windows 98 so you can uncompress
that drive? Otherwise, you'll have to do something like create a new
primary partition (you may need to use PartitionMagic or similar to
resize the current partitions to create a new primary partition), make
it the *active* primary partition, install Windows 98 to that new
partition, use it to decompress, and then delete that partition and
resize the others to use the now empty disk space, and make your Windows
XP partition the active one in the next reboot.