Trying to make a playable White Weenie equipped

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, All!
I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

Here is what I have in mind right now:

Creatures:

1-drop:
4xAuriok Glaivemaster
4xSuntail Hawk
4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
two more)
4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

2-drop:
4xLeonin Den-Guard
4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

3-drop:
Skyhunter Cub?
4xRazor Golem

4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

Equipment:
4xBonesplitter
4xSkullclamp
4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
Gauntlets?)
?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

Land:
How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
Are 20 Lands enough?

Other:
4xRaise the Alarm
1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)
Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)
Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -
well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
Soldier Replica?
4xArrest?
?xWing Shards (I have 3)?

Regards,
Arkady.
13 answers Last reply
More about trying make playable white weenie equipped
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b20d61$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
    > Hello, All!
    > I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
    > my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
    > from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
    > in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.
    >
    > Here is what I have in mind right now:
    >
    > Creatures:
    >
    > 1-drop:
    > 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
    > 4xSuntail Hawk
    > 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
    > two more)
    > 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)
    >
    > 2-drop:
    > 4xLeonin Den-Guard
    > 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
    > ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
    > ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)
    >
    > 3-drop:
    > Skyhunter Cub?
    > 4xRazor Golem
    >
    > 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
    > I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?
    >
    > Equipment:
    > 4xBonesplitter
    > 4xSkullclamp
    > 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
    > those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
    > Gauntlets?)
    > ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)
    >
    > Land:
    > How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
    > Are 20 Lands enough?
    >
    > Other:
    > 4xRaise the Alarm
    > 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
    > concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
    > Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)
    > Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)
    > Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
    > Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -
    > well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
    > Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
    > Soldier Replica?
    > 4xArrest?
    > ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Arkady.

    Greetings!

    Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
    reasonably well:

    4x Raise the Alarm
    4x Silver Knight
    4x White Knight
    4x Mobilization
    4x Shared Triumph
    4x Auriok Steelshaper
    4x Bonesplitter
    4x Leonin Scimitar
    2x Vulshock Morningstar
    2x Leonin Sun Standard
    2x Deftblade Elite
    22x Plains

    Most of these are common or uncommon cards. Mobilization and Shared
    Triumphs are rares that aren't played that much, so you should be able
    to pick them up easily. The Sun Standards are a rather inferior
    alternative to Glorious Anthem, so you should be able to get them
    without much trouble, either. (Though if you can get Glorious Anthem,
    go with them instead.) The Steelshapers are a pretty good card--they
    go well with a solder or knight based deck, and are excellent if
    you're running heavy equipment--so you might want to track those down.

    Other than that, about the only thing I can tell you is to grab some
    of the better equipment--Skullclamp, Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of
    Light and Shadow, etc--if you can. I also haven't gotten around to
    putting a sideboard together--this is mostly a deck I play for fun,
    though it can be tournament worthy if I were to work on it a little
    more.

    Most deck run 24 lands, unless you have several low casting cost
    spells. In a typical weenie deck, I run anywhere from 18-20 land.
    The extra lands in this deck are there for pumping up the Mobilization
    and Sun Standard.

    I hope that helps.

    Scott
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    I forgot to add I have 2xPurge - should I look for more?
    And another question (please don't laugh) - is Healing Salve any good?

    AZ> Hello, All!
    AZ> I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into
    AZ> Magic to
    AZ> my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White
    AZ> Weeney deck
    AZ> from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from
    AZ> a pile
    AZ> in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

    AZ> Here is what I have in mind right now:

    AZ> Creatures:

    AZ> 1-drop:
    AZ> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
    AZ> 4xSuntail Hawk
    AZ> 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able
    AZ> to pick
    AZ> two more)
    AZ> 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

    AZ> 2-drop:
    AZ> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
    AZ> 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
    AZ> ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
    AZ> ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

    AZ> 3-drop:
    AZ> Skyhunter Cub?
    AZ> 4xRazor Golem

    AZ> 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
    AZ> I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

    AZ> Equipment:
    AZ> 4xBonesplitter
    AZ> 4xSkullclamp
    AZ> 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are
    AZ> great with
    AZ> those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up
    AZ> using the
    AZ> Gauntlets?)
    AZ> ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

    AZ> Land:
    AZ> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
    AZ> Are 20 Lands enough?

    AZ> Other:
    AZ> 4xRaise the Alarm
    AZ> 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get
    AZ> more or
    AZ> concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
    AZ> Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at
    AZ> all)
    AZ> Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another
    AZ> one)
    AZ> Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
    AZ> Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too
    AZ> scary -
    AZ> well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
    AZ> Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
    AZ> Soldier Replica?
    AZ> 4xArrest?
    AZ> ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b20d61$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
    > Hello, All!
    > I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
    > my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
    > from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
    > in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.
    >
    > Here is what I have in mind right now:
    >
    > Creatures:
    >
    > 1-drop:
    > 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

    Honestly, kind of bland. They just don't get _better enough_, you
    know? Savannah Lions are just better, if you have them.

    > 4xSuntail Hawk
    > 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
    > two more)

    Fantastic in this deck. One cute trick is to slap on Fireshrieker.
    That way, they can deal damage during the first strike step, then you
    can activate their ability so damage during the regular step is
    prevented. Probably too mana-intensive here, though.

    > 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

    Strictly sideboard.

    > 2-drop:
    > 4xLeonin Den-Guard
    > 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
    > ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
    > ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

    Some mix of these. Probably not more than 12 2-drops. Den-Guard isn't
    all that good. Remember, you want them to still be strong and
    aggressive even when not equipped. Equipment can get destroyed, and
    you won't generally have enough on the table to equip all you men. 1/3
    with no chance at evasion is not nearly aggro enough for this deck.

    > 3-drop:
    > Skyhunter Cub?
    > 4xRazor Golem

    Golem is a must. Cub is an unfortunate necessity.

    > 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
    > I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

    Nah. I'd skip 'em, myself. Maybe if they had higher power, but as it
    is, they don't stop you creautres from getting killed, they don't
    prevent Molder Slug...doesn't do enough for you.

    > Equipment:
    > 4xBonesplitter
    > 4xSkullclamp

    Yes to both.

    > 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
    > those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
    > Gauntlets?)

    Gauntlets are great when they get going, but really, really bad
    otherwise. When not on a Golem, they slow down your assault, or are
    extremely mana-intensive. I'd skip them, or at least drop to 1 or 2.

    > ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

    Yes. Critical. This is why you play with evasion creatures. Hawk, Cub,
    Skyhunter, pro-red or black. Mask is simply amazing.

    If you have (or can get) Leonin Shikari, then you run Lightning
    Greaves as well. Otherwise, not so much.

    > Land:
    > How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
    > Are 20 Lands enough?

    I'd run 19 Plains, 3 Secluded Steppe. You don't want any in your
    opening hand, certainly not more than one. Blinkmoth Nexus, if you
    have them, replace Steppes, not Plains.

    > Other:
    > 4xRaise the Alarm

    If you are playing with Auriok Steelshapers, then run Raise the Alarm.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't.

    > 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
    > concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)

    Too intensive for the deck. Anthem is great.

    > Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)

    Again, Anthem provides a permanent boost that's better here that a
    surprise.

    > Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)

    Might be interesting in the sideboard as a way to get around decks
    with better blockers. Tooth and Nail, for example.

    > Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)

    Too narrow, I think. Again, Anthem does the same job.

    > Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -

    and RG Beast Land D. If it gets played, I'd run them.

    > Guilded Light? (I have none yet)

    Doesn't do much for you, really.

    > Soldier Replica?

    ....maybe with Steelshaper...nah.

    > 4xArrest?
    > ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?

    Arrest is better. You want to remove blockers, not attackers.

    > Regards,
    > Arkady.

    Good luck!

    --
    Justin
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Hello, Scott!
    You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:13:32 -0700:

    SV> Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
    SV> reasonably well:

    SV> 4x Raise the Alarm
    SV> 4x Silver Knight
    SV> 4x White Knight
    SV> 4x Mobilization
    SV> 4x Shared Triumph
    SV> 4x Auriok Steelshaper
    SV> 4x Bonesplitter
    SV> 4x Leonin Scimitar
    SV> 2x Vulshock Morningstar
    SV> 2x Leonin Sun Standard
    SV> 2x Deftblade Elite
    SV> 22x Plains

    Well, you don't have that many 1-drops - only 2 Deftblade Elites. What
    is your experience with that? Isn't the deck too slow?

    Leonin Scimitar - too weak IMHO, although Deftblade Elite can benefit
    from it before Leonin Sun Standard is out: killing Goblin
    Warchiefs/Piledrivers while surviving itself is a good thing. Anyway,
    I'll run my Skullclamps in that slot :)

    You don't have any fliers - is it intentional or there are no weenie
    fliers in your collection?

    You have enough equipment but no Den-Guards - again, is that
    intentional? It's a Soldier (although it doesn't benefit more from
    Mobilization when equipped).

    And why no Razor Golems? They are great in White!

    4xAuriok Steelshaper is out of question for me right now - as I said, my
    wife will not like the money I need to spend for them - unless I manage
    to trade my other cards for it. If I do, I'll remove the Suntail Hawk
    (a Bird, not a Soldier) and maybe Razor Golem (although it's amazing as
    it is even not being a Soldier/Knight). But then my 2-drop slot becomes
    too crowded - maybe relegate White Knights to the sideboard?

    Grafter Headgear from the Fifth Dawn (cost: 3, equip: 0, +3/+2, destroy
    equipped creature if ~ stops equipping it) looks like a nice enough
    equipment for White Weenie - I'll consider adding it to the deck once it
    becomes available.

    Regards,
    Arkady.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Hello, Justin!
    You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:43:49 -0700:

    >> 1-drop:
    >> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

    JS> Honestly, kind of bland. They just don't get _better enough_,
    JS> you
    JS> know? Savannah Lions are just better, if you have them.

    Only one :( Tundra Wolves in the meantime, maybe?

    And thanks for the advice!

    Regards,
    Arkady.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, All!
    > I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
    > my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
    > from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
    > in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

    I'm working on a white weenie deck too. I've been looking at some Fifth
    Dawn stuff that could make the cut... Leonin Squire is a decent weenie and
    he can bring back Bonesplitters and Skullclamps if they get destroyed.
    Stasis Cocoon looks great against affinity, it's basically a Disenchant for
    artifacts. That 1/1 flying double-striker could be pretty cool with a
    Bonesplitter slapped on, though Slith Ascendant might work just as well. If
    you happen to have any, Exalted Angels and Akroma's Vengeances are pretty
    nice though expensive to buy. Worship and Dawn Elemental are nice too, again
    if you already have them. Pulse of the Fields is pretty nutty at times.
    Story Circle and CoP: Artifacts are uncommons and would be good to have
    around, maybe Story Circle maindeck, then sideboard them out for CoP:A
    against artifact decks. And Loxodon Warhammers can be a nice thing to be
    swinging with too. Sun Standards seem too mana-intensive to me but maybe
    you'll have better luck. Might be worth using Karma in your sideboard if
    you're expecting black players, though Story Circles should do the job too.
    These are all cards I'm either using or considering using, my deck's in flux
    right now. Good luck with it!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b24a14$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
    > Hello, Scott!
    > You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:13:32 -0700:
    >
    > SV> Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
    > SV> reasonably well:
    >
    > SV> 4x Raise the Alarm
    > SV> 4x Silver Knight
    > SV> 4x White Knight
    > SV> 4x Mobilization
    > SV> 4x Shared Triumph
    > SV> 4x Auriok Steelshaper
    > SV> 4x Bonesplitter
    > SV> 4x Leonin Scimitar
    > SV> 2x Vulshock Morningstar
    > SV> 2x Leonin Sun Standard
    > SV> 2x Deftblade Elite
    > SV> 22x Plains
    >
    > Well, you don't have that many 1-drops - only 2 Deftblade Elites. What
    > is your experience with that? Isn't the deck too slow?

    Actually, it does reasonably well. I'm usually dropping an equipment
    on the first turn. After that, though, the pace picks up quite a bit.

    > Leonin Scimitar - too weak IMHO, although Deftblade Elite can benefit
    > from it before Leonin Sun Standard is out: killing Goblin
    > Warchiefs/Piledrivers while surviving itself is a good thing. Anyway,
    > I'll run my Skullclamps in that slot :)

    Good choice.

    > You don't have any fliers - is it intentional or there are no weenie
    > fliers in your collection?
    >
    > You have enough equipment but no Den-Guards - again, is that
    > intentional? It's a Soldier (although it doesn't benefit more from
    > Mobilization when equipped).

    Like I said in a previous email, this is a fun deck--I threw together
    in the course of about an hour for a casual game. I just haven't
    gotten around to tweaking it.

    > And why no Razor Golems? They are great in White!

    Once again, not enough tweaking.

    > 4xAuriok Steelshaper is out of question for me right now - as I said, my
    > wife will not like the money I need to spend for them - unless I manage
    > to trade my other cards for it. If I do, I'll remove the Suntail Hawk
    > (a Bird, not a Soldier) and maybe Razor Golem (although it's amazing as
    > it is even not being a Soldier/Knight). But then my 2-drop slot becomes
    > too crowded - maybe relegate White Knights to the sideboard?
    >
    > Grafter Headgear from the Fifth Dawn (cost: 3, equip: 0, +3/+2, destroy
    > equipped creature if ~ stops equipping it) looks like a nice enough
    > equipment for White Weenie - I'll consider adding it to the deck once it
    > becomes available.

    I haven't seen that one yet. It might actually work out in my deck.

    > Regards,
    > Arkady.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Hello, Chris!
    You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 00:12:49 GMT:

    CW> Story Circle and CoP: Artifacts are uncommons and would be good
    CW> to have
    CW> around, maybe Story Circle maindeck, then sideboard them out for
    CW> CoP:A
    CW> against artifact decks. And Loxodon Warhammers can be a nice
    CW> thing to be
    CW> swinging with too.

    Unfortunately, Story Circles are rare (at least in 8th Edition) - I'll
    see what I can do about them. In the mean time I have a couple of
    CoP:Red for my sideboard.

    I do have 2 or 3 Loxodon Warhammers although they seem a little bit too
    mana intensive for a weenie deck. Would it be right to include 2-3
    Leonin Abunas along with 2-3 Warhammers?

    About Slith Ascendant: I have one right now and getting a few more
    should not be a problem, but I'm afraid it won't live long enough to
    become that big and 1/1 flier for 3 isn't that attractive. Besides, I'm
    thinking of using fliers primarily for Mask of Memory and Suntail
    Hawk/Leonin Skyhunter/Skyhunter Cub (if I end up playing the latter)
    seem to be enough to me.

    I'll assemble what I can this week and start playtesting. I can post
    the results here if anybody's interested...

    Regards,
    Arkady.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:28:44 -0400, "Arkady Zilberberg"
    <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I forgot to add I have 2xPurge - should I look for more?
    >And another question (please don't laugh) - is Healing Salve any good?

    I typically find one-shot lifegain spells to be not that helpful. It's
    a delaying tactic. Recurring lifegain, though ... that rocks. :)

    I have a pretty strong Soldier deck on Online It runs

    Daru Warchief (pumper, reduces soldier costs)
    Gustcloak Harrier (flier)
    Longbow Archer (first strike, blocks as though flying)
    Deftblade Elite (provoke!)
    Intrepid Hero (rare, hard to find, tap to kill big critters)
    Catapult Squad (tap two untapped soldiers: deal 2 dmg to attacking or
    blocking creature. Works well with the Provoke ability)

    It also splashes green to run some Mirari's Wake to power
    Mobilization, but Wakes are not "budget" cards so you may not need
    that. It also runs Aura Shards to pick off all the popular artifacts
    of the day. :)

    You run a LOT of equipment, which if you run into a creature removal
    deck, will sit there with very little to attach to. I'd say whittle
    that down some and add some useful instants like Pacifism or Arrest,
    or Shelter. If you don't have Aura Shards, you need some way to get
    rid of enchantments or artifacts.

    Loxodon Warhammer is great to run with Soldiers, because with the
    Warchiefs, your creatures typically have pretty good toughness ... all
    the need is a power boost. Life gain and trample doesn't hurt. :)

    Not sure that Skullclamp is going to the big winner in this deck,
    since white prefers to keep creatures from going to the graveyard, not
    finding ways to get them there.

    Mobilization is a wonderful card for Soldiers if you can find them
    (Your soldiers don't tap when attacking, and you can make 1/1 Soldier
    tokens for 2W). Daru Encampments are nice too.

    You might consider Soldier Replicas in the sideboard, to run against
    decks that have pro-white.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Hello, Mark!
    You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 09:36:06 -0500:
    ML> I have a pretty strong Soldier deck on Online It runs

    ML> Daru Warchief (pumper, reduces soldier costs)
    A little overcosted to my taste, although very strong in multiples.

    ML> Gustcloak Harrier (flier)
    ML> Longbow Archer (first strike, blocks as though flying)
    I forgot to mention I wanted a Type 2 legal deck...

    ML> Deftblade Elite (provoke!)
    ML> Intrepid Hero (rare, hard to find, tap to kill big critters)
    Precisely that - hard to find.

    ML> You run a LOT of equipment, which if you run into a creature
    ML> removal
    ML> deck, will sit there with very little to attach to.
    That's why Skullclamp is there - at least I'll draw a few cards to help
    recover.

    Regards,
    Arkady.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    > Unfortunately, Story Circles are rare (at least in 8th Edition) - I'll
    > see what I can do about them. In the mean time I have a couple of
    > CoP:Red for my sideboard.

    They were uncommon in Masques. A pretty popular uncommon, but it
    shouldn't be too hard to get some.

    > I do have 2 or 3 Loxodon Warhammers although they seem a little bit too
    > mana intensive for a weenie deck. Would it be right to include 2-3
    > Leonin Abunas along with 2-3 Warhammers?

    I don't see how 3 mana would be too intensive since you don't mind
    running other 3 mana cards like Skyhunter Cub. I know it's a weenie deck,
    but come on, 3 lands isn't hard to arrange. :) I think the Abunas doesn't
    really do enough since artifact destruction won't stop your creatures
    anyway, it'll just make them smaller by smashing their equipment. Up to you
    though.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    White weenies, my favorite type of deck.

    > 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

    I personally like this one. With a bonesplitter or scimitar or
    skullclamp in the early game and there is a chance for some serious
    fun especially if your opponent doesn't pull his creature removal.

    > 4xSuntail Hawk
    > 4xDeftblade Elite

    Both wonderful picks, the hawk for its evasion, the elite for the
    provoke and it "gaseous form" ability to stop big attackers and pull
    big blockers in the end game.

    > 4xFoothill Guide

    So not even worth it. This needs to be a cleric tribal deck for this
    card even to be considered. If you have to have another one drop you
    could sideboard the Leonin elder against affinity.

    > 4xLeonin Den-Guard

    I love this card. Maybe its just the fact he can be a 6/6 that
    doesn't tap to attack with the Vulshok gauntlets. Major meat to put
    up against rush decks and I'm still be able to attack with him.

    > 4xSilver Knight
    > ?xWhite Knight

    I don't like these cards, but they are pretty good. Probably should
    run two of each and side board the four others.

    > ?xLeonin Skyhunter

    Wonderful card, makes me smile, run Four please.

    > Skyhunter Cub?

    I like the cub but it is a little pricey sometimes. Run a few, maybe
    four if you have plenty of equipment.

    > 4xRazor Golem

    Yes, no, maybe? It's a good card but it has drawbacks. It's an
    artifact for one which means that its got a ton of removal effects
    aimed at it. Second it's not a soldier or a knight. Third it doesn't
    have any extra bonus from being equiped. I think this card is more
    mediocre than people realize.

    > 3 Leonin Abunas

    This can be a great card in the right type of deck. If you do run the
    golem consider this card to help protect it. Comboed with the Leonin
    Shikari and Lightning greaves and you have a removal effect denial
    system that is pretty sturdy plus an extra theme, I love themed
    decks:) Honestly not a bad pick for an equipment deck.

    > 4xBonesplitter
    > 4xSkullclamp

    Almost absolute necessities, both good picks for obvious reasons.

    > 4xVulshok Gauntlets

    I like this card but it may be to pricey for Standard play. Keep it
    or lose it for better equipment.

    > ?xMask of Memory

    Could be critical in some situations but honestly not my favorite
    card. I wouldn't play it but you might ought to keep it.

    > How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
    > Are 20 Lands enough?

    18-22 lands are about right for a weenie deck, secluded steppes is
    alright but don't run all four.

    > 4xRaise the Alarm

    If you don't run Steelshaper, Daru Warchief, or Glorious Anthem your
    wasting your time for these. If you need clamp fodder try to trade
    for Moblization.

    > 1xLeonin Sun Standard

    Glorius Anthem is better (You might just want to buy the 8th ed white
    preconstruct for it) but a place to spend extra mana could be useful.
    My equipment deck spends most of its mana though on moving equipment
    around from attackers to blockers.

    > Roar of the Kha?

    No, not without Ischron scepter.

    > Blinding Beam

    Good but I would skip them for more creatures and equipment. Maybe
    add some whipcorders or Leonin bolas.

    > Hallow?

    No, not maindecked at all. Maybe sideboarded against red
    burn/control. Very pretty against a hard casted Slice and Dice though
    :)

    > Sacred Ground?

    Sideboarded against LD only.

    > Guilded Light?

    Probably none, although very fun. Perhaps Ivory Mask instead?

    > Soldier Replica?

    No, If you are worried about pro-white go with the Razor Golem.

    > 4xArrest?

    Hit or Miss on this one. Especially with all the sacrifice mechanisms
    today and the skullclamp it has pretty limited effectiveness. Against
    the unprepared casual combo deck it can be deadly but here its almost
    worthless.

    > ?xWing Shards

    This is a card, I Love to Hate when playing against it. If there was
    one card That almost any white deck could benefit from it would be
    this one would be it. You are going to be in the control position for
    the first couple of turns whether you like it or not against goblins
    and affinity usually. This card can easily put them back in place for
    a while. Consider not putting blockers out if you draw this in your
    opening hand to get a large card advantage by having them attack with
    creatures that would ussualy set on the sideline.

    Really a pure white weenie deck is probably not going to work.
    Affinity, goblins, and even elves are just going to be better at
    rushing with the skullclamp. The white "weenie" deck is really the
    midrange creature deck, a lot of bear and elephant sized creatures
    with a few larger ones sitting between the goblins and elves vs. the
    dragons and beasts. Equipment and global pumping is supposed to give
    the edge over other weenies while keeping the deck faster than the Big
    creature decks. There are a couple of themes that you should
    consider.

    Global pumping: Leoning Sun Standard, Glorious Anthem, Shared Triumph,
    Auriok Steelshaper, Aven brigadier, Daru Warchief, Roar of the Kha

    Equipment: Loxodon Punisher, Auriok Steelshaper, Skyhunter cub,
    Leoning Den-Guard, Steelshaper Apprentice, Auriok Glaivemaster, Golem
    Skin Gauntlets

    Cannot be targeted: Leonin Abunas, Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk
    cloak, Leonin Shikari, Ivory Mask, Gilded Light

    Double strike and combat damage abilities: Fire shrieker, Raksha
    Golden Cub, Skyhunter Skirmisher, Slith Ascendant, Banshee blade,
    Sword of light and Shadow, Sword of Fire and Ice, Loxodon Warhammer,
    Specter's Shroud, Spirit Link

    Soldier and Cleric tribal abilities/damage prevention/life
    gain/attacker removal/tapping effects/pacifism effects/ pro-color
    abilities

    Other good cards to consider are Golden Myr (mana acceleration is
    wonderful), Auriok Bladewarden, Blinding Angel, Test of Faith, Holy
    day, Ischron Scepter, Surestrike Trident, Gustcloak savior, Catapult
    Master, and Wrath of God (A reset button can be a powerful thing.)

    I have built three recent white weenie decks recently. The one that
    wins the most is a tribal soldier deck with global pumping and
    catapult master. The one that is the most fun to play is an equipment
    deck with a double strike theme and a whisper silk cloak to protect my
    big creatures at the end. The last one has cannot be targeted abilies
    and holy day and blinding angel and is the most involved. The thing
    to remember is that you are not going to win a straight up "race" vs.
    most other weenie decks. Your creatures either need to be bigger and
    not tap to attack so they can repeatedly block or you need life gain,
    damage prevention, pacifism or tapping effects to curb your life loss.
    Use the themes of white protection to pull yourself out of the
    control position to agressively dominating your opponent in the
    midgame. White is about taking a "losing" board and coming back for
    the win. I know a lot of these cards may seem out of your price range
    but I bet you'll find some of them floating around the trading table.
    I also having problems justifying purchases of magic cards so I ask
    for them for Christmas and birthday presents.
    I hope this all helps and I hope you dominate your local metagame.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    On 26 May 2004 21:02:01 -0700, zelf_gale@yahoo.com (zelf gale) wrote:

    >White weenies, my favorite type of deck.
    >
    >> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
    >
    >I personally like this one. With a bonesplitter or scimitar or
    >skullclamp in the early game and there is a chance for some serious
    >fun especially if your opponent doesn't pull his creature removal.
    >
    >> 4xSuntail Hawk
    >> 4xDeftblade Elite
    >
    >Both wonderful picks, the hawk for its evasion, the elite for the
    >provoke and it "gaseous form" ability to stop big attackers and pull
    >big blockers in the end game.
    >
    >> 4xFoothill Guide
    >
    >So not even worth it. This needs to be a cleric tribal deck for this
    >card even to be considered. If you have to have another one drop you
    >could sideboard the Leonin elder against affinity.
    >
    >> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
    >
    >I love this card. Maybe its just the fact he can be a 6/6 that
    >doesn't tap to attack with the Vulshok gauntlets. Major meat to put
    >up against rush decks and I'm still be able to attack with him.
    >
    >> 4xSilver Knight
    >> ?xWhite Knight
    >
    >I don't like these cards, but they are pretty good. Probably should
    >run two of each and side board the four others.
    >
    >> ?xLeonin Skyhunter
    >
    >Wonderful card, makes me smile, run Four please.
    >
    >> Skyhunter Cub?
    >
    >I like the cub but it is a little pricey sometimes. Run a few, maybe
    >four if you have plenty of equipment.
    >
    >> 4xRazor Golem
    >
    >Yes, no, maybe? It's a good card but it has drawbacks. It's an
    >artifact for one which means that its got a ton of removal effects
    >aimed at it. Second it's not a soldier or a knight. Third it doesn't
    >have any extra bonus from being equiped. I think this card is more
    >mediocre than people realize.
    >
    >> 3 Leonin Abunas
    >
    >This can be a great card in the right type of deck. If you do run the
    >golem consider this card to help protect it. Comboed with the Leonin
    >Shikari and Lightning greaves and you have a removal effect denial
    >system that is pretty sturdy plus an extra theme, I love themed
    >decks:) Honestly not a bad pick for an equipment deck.
    >
    >> 4xBonesplitter
    >> 4xSkullclamp
    >
    >Almost absolute necessities, both good picks for obvious reasons.
    >
    >> 4xVulshok Gauntlets
    >
    >I like this card but it may be to pricey for Standard play. Keep it
    >or lose it for better equipment.
    >
    >> ?xMask of Memory
    >
    >Could be critical in some situations but honestly not my favorite
    >card. I wouldn't play it but you might ought to keep it.
    >
    >> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
    >> Are 20 Lands enough?
    >
    >18-22 lands are about right for a weenie deck, secluded steppes is
    >alright but don't run all four.
    >
    >> 4xRaise the Alarm
    >
    >If you don't run Steelshaper, Daru Warchief, or Glorious Anthem your
    >wasting your time for these. If you need clamp fodder try to trade
    >for Moblization.

    Not just tokens, but you get to attack without tapping.

    >> 1xLeonin Sun Standard
    >
    >Glorius Anthem is better (You might just want to buy the 8th ed white
    >preconstruct for it) but a place to spend extra mana could be useful.
    >My equipment deck spends most of its mana though on moving equipment
    >around from attackers to blockers.
    >
    >> Roar of the Kha?
    >
    >No, not without Ischron scepter.

    What about Peity Charm?

    >Global pumping: Leoning Sun Standard, Glorious Anthem, Shared Triumph,
    >Auriok Steelshaper, Aven brigadier, Daru Warchief, Roar of the Kha

    Coat of Arms?

    Brigadier at 3WWW is pretty pricey without some serious acceleration.
    If you play Brigadier, you want some more Bird Soldiers in your deck,
    since Bird Soldiers would get the bonus twice.

    Warchief seems almost a requirement.

Video Games