Trying to make a playable White Weenie equipped

Last response: in Video Games
May 24, 2004 2:56:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, All!
I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

Here is what I have in mind right now:

Creatures:

1-drop:
4xAuriok Glaivemaster
4xSuntail Hawk
4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
two more)
4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

2-drop:
4xLeonin Den-Guard
4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

3-drop:
Skyhunter Cub?
4xRazor Golem

4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

Equipment:
4xBonesplitter
4xSkullclamp
4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
Gauntlets?)
?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

Land:
How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
Are 20 Lands enough?

Other:
4xRaise the Alarm
1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)
Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)
Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -
well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
Soldier Replica?
4xArrest?
?xWing Shards (I have 3)?

Regards,
Arkady.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:13:32 PM

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b20d61$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
> Hello, All!
> I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
> my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
> from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
> in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.
>
> Here is what I have in mind right now:
>
> Creatures:
>
> 1-drop:
> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
> 4xSuntail Hawk
> 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
> two more)
> 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)
>
> 2-drop:
> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
> 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
> ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
> ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)
>
> 3-drop:
> Skyhunter Cub?
> 4xRazor Golem
>
> 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
> I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?
>
> Equipment:
> 4xBonesplitter
> 4xSkullclamp
> 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
> those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
> Gauntlets?)
> ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)
>
> Land:
> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
> Are 20 Lands enough?
>
> Other:
> 4xRaise the Alarm
> 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
> concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
> Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)
> Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)
> Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
> Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -
> well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
> Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
> Soldier Replica?
> 4xArrest?
> ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?
>
> Regards,
> Arkady.

Greetings!

Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
reasonably well:

4x Raise the Alarm
4x Silver Knight
4x White Knight
4x Mobilization
4x Shared Triumph
4x Auriok Steelshaper
4x Bonesplitter
4x Leonin Scimitar
2x Vulshock Morningstar
2x Leonin Sun Standard
2x Deftblade Elite
22x Plains

Most of these are common or uncommon cards. Mobilization and Shared
Triumphs are rares that aren't played that much, so you should be able
to pick them up easily. The Sun Standards are a rather inferior
alternative to Glorious Anthem, so you should be able to get them
without much trouble, either. (Though if you can get Glorious Anthem,
go with them instead.) The Steelshapers are a pretty good card--they
go well with a solder or knight based deck, and are excellent if
you're running heavy equipment--so you might want to track those down.

Other than that, about the only thing I can tell you is to grab some
of the better equipment--Skullclamp, Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of
Light and Shadow, etc--if you can. I also haven't gotten around to
putting a sideboard together--this is mostly a deck I play for fun,
though it can be tournament worthy if I were to work on it a little
more.

Most deck run 24 lands, unless you have several low casting cost
spells. In a typical weenie deck, I run anywhere from 18-20 land.
The extra lands in this deck are there for pumping up the Mobilization
and Sun Standard.

I hope that helps.

Scott
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I forgot to add I have 2xPurge - should I look for more?
And another question (please don't laugh) - is Healing Salve any good?

AZ> Hello, All!
AZ> I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into
AZ> Magic to
AZ> my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White
AZ> Weeney deck
AZ> from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from
AZ> a pile
AZ> in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

AZ> Here is what I have in mind right now:

AZ> Creatures:

AZ> 1-drop:
AZ> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
AZ> 4xSuntail Hawk
AZ> 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able
AZ> to pick
AZ> two more)
AZ> 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

AZ> 2-drop:
AZ> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
AZ> 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
AZ> ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
AZ> ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

AZ> 3-drop:
AZ> Skyhunter Cub?
AZ> 4xRazor Golem

AZ> 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
AZ> I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

AZ> Equipment:
AZ> 4xBonesplitter
AZ> 4xSkullclamp
AZ> 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are
AZ> great with
AZ> those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up
AZ> using the
AZ> Gauntlets?)
AZ> ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

AZ> Land:
AZ> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
AZ> Are 20 Lands enough?

AZ> Other:
AZ> 4xRaise the Alarm
AZ> 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get
AZ> more or
AZ> concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)
AZ> Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at
AZ> all)
AZ> Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another
AZ> one)
AZ> Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)
AZ> Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too
AZ> scary -
AZ> well, facing Goblins with such a deck is scary anyway...)
AZ> Guilded Light? (I have none yet)
AZ> Soldier Replica?
AZ> 4xArrest?
AZ> ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:43:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b20d61$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
> Hello, All!
> I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
> my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
> from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
> in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.
>
> Here is what I have in mind right now:
>
> Creatures:
>
> 1-drop:
> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

Honestly, kind of bland. They just don't get _better enough_, you
know? Savannah Lions are just better, if you have them.

> 4xSuntail Hawk
> 4xDeftblade Elite (I currently have only 2, but should be able to pick
> two more)

Fantastic in this deck. One cute trick is to slap on Fireshrieker.
That way, they can deal damage during the first strike step, then you
can activate their ability so damage during the regular step is
prevented. Probably too mana-intensive here, though.

> 4xFoothill Guide - Sideboard (I have 2)

Strictly sideboard.

> 2-drop:
> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
> 4xSilver Knight (I have 3, adding one should not be THAT hard)
> ?xWhite Knight (I have 2) - Sideboard?
> ?xLeonin Skyhunter (I have 2)

Some mix of these. Probably not more than 12 2-drops. Den-Guard isn't
all that good. Remember, you want them to still be strong and
aggressive even when not equipped. Equipment can get destroyed, and
you won't generally have enough on the table to equip all you men. 1/3
with no chance at evasion is not nearly aggro enough for this deck.

> 3-drop:
> Skyhunter Cub?
> 4xRazor Golem

Golem is a must. Cub is an unfortunate necessity.

> 4-drop: (not exactly weenie, is it?)
> I have 3 Leonin Abunas - are all 3 needed? 2? None?

Nah. I'd skip 'em, myself. Maybe if they had higher power, but as it
is, they don't stop you creautres from getting killed, they don't
prevent Molder Slug...doesn't do enough for you.

> Equipment:
> 4xBonesplitter
> 4xSkullclamp

Yes to both.

> 4xVulshok Gauntlets (there are already 8 critters which are great with
> those on - maybe add Diving Griffins to the mix if I end up using the
> Gauntlets?)

Gauntlets are great when they get going, but really, really bad
otherwise. When not on a Golem, they slow down your assault, or are
extremely mana-intensive. I'd skip them, or at least drop to 1 or 2.

> ?xMask of Memory (I have a couple but are they really needed?)

Yes. Critical. This is why you play with evasion creatures. Hawk, Cub,
Skyhunter, pro-red or black. Mask is simply amazing.

If you have (or can get) Leonin Shikari, then you run Lightning
Greaves as well. Otherwise, not so much.

> Land:
> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
> Are 20 Lands enough?

I'd run 19 Plains, 3 Secluded Steppe. You don't want any in your
opening hand, certainly not more than one. Blinkmoth Nexus, if you
have them, replace Steppes, not Plains.

> Other:
> 4xRaise the Alarm

If you are playing with Auriok Steelshapers, then run Raise the Alarm.
Otherwise, I wouldn't.

> 1xLeonin Sun Standard (that's all I have - should I try to get more or
> concentrate on getting Glorious Anthem?)

Too intensive for the deck. Anthem is great.

> Roar of the Kha? (I have only 1 but not sure if I need it at all)

Again, Anthem provides a permanent boost that's better here that a
surprise.

> Blinding Beam? (I have 3, should have no problem adding another one)

Might be interesting in the sideboard as a way to get around decks
with better blockers. Tooth and Nail, for example.

> Hallow? (against Pyroclasm etc. - I have 2 so far)

Too narrow, I think. Again, Anthem does the same job.

> Sacred Ground? (I have none, but Goblins with Flashfires are too scary -

and RG Beast Land D. If it gets played, I'd run them.

> Guilded Light? (I have none yet)

Doesn't do much for you, really.

> Soldier Replica?

....maybe with Steelshaper...nah.

> 4xArrest?
> ?xWing Shards (I have 3)?

Arrest is better. You want to remove blockers, not attackers.

> Regards,
> Arkady.

Good luck!

--
Justin
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Scott!
You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:13:32 -0700:

SV> Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
SV> reasonably well:

SV> 4x Raise the Alarm
SV> 4x Silver Knight
SV> 4x White Knight
SV> 4x Mobilization
SV> 4x Shared Triumph
SV> 4x Auriok Steelshaper
SV> 4x Bonesplitter
SV> 4x Leonin Scimitar
SV> 2x Vulshock Morningstar
SV> 2x Leonin Sun Standard
SV> 2x Deftblade Elite
SV> 22x Plains

Well, you don't have that many 1-drops - only 2 Deftblade Elites. What
is your experience with that? Isn't the deck too slow?

Leonin Scimitar - too weak IMHO, although Deftblade Elite can benefit
from it before Leonin Sun Standard is out: killing Goblin
Warchiefs/Piledrivers while surviving itself is a good thing. Anyway,
I'll run my Skullclamps in that slot :)

You don't have any fliers - is it intentional or there are no weenie
fliers in your collection?

You have enough equipment but no Den-Guards - again, is that
intentional? It's a Soldier (although it doesn't benefit more from
Mobilization when equipped).

And why no Razor Golems? They are great in White!

4xAuriok Steelshaper is out of question for me right now - as I said, my
wife will not like the money I need to spend for them - unless I manage
to trade my other cards for it. If I do, I'll remove the Suntail Hawk
(a Bird, not a Soldier) and maybe Razor Golem (although it's amazing as
it is even not being a Soldier/Knight). But then my 2-drop slot becomes
too crowded - maybe relegate White Knights to the sideboard?

Grafter Headgear from the Fifth Dawn (cost: 3, equip: 0, +3/+2, destroy
equipped creature if ~ stops equipping it) looks like a nice enough
equipment for White Weenie - I'll consider adding it to the deck once it
becomes available.

Regards,
Arkady.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:25:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Justin!
You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:43:49 -0700:

>> 1-drop:
>> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

JS> Honestly, kind of bland. They just don't get _better enough_,
JS> you
JS> know? Savannah Lions are just better, if you have them.

Only one :(  Tundra Wolves in the meantime, maybe?

And thanks for the advice!

Regards,
Arkady.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:12:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All!
> I'm a family man and can't justify putting too much money into Magic to
> my wife. However, I'd like to create a non-autolosing White Weeney deck
> from my pool, maybe picking up a few commons and uncommons from a pile
> in a store and trading for inexpensive rares.

I'm working on a white weenie deck too. I've been looking at some Fifth
Dawn stuff that could make the cut... Leonin Squire is a decent weenie and
he can bring back Bonesplitters and Skullclamps if they get destroyed.
Stasis Cocoon looks great against affinity, it's basically a Disenchant for
artifacts. That 1/1 flying double-striker could be pretty cool with a
Bonesplitter slapped on, though Slith Ascendant might work just as well. If
you happen to have any, Exalted Angels and Akroma's Vengeances are pretty
nice though expensive to buy. Worship and Dawn Elemental are nice too, again
if you already have them. Pulse of the Fields is pretty nutty at times.
Story Circle and CoP: Artifacts are uncommons and would be good to have
around, maybe Story Circle maindeck, then sideboard them out for CoP:A
against artifact decks. And Loxodon Warhammers can be a nice thing to be
swinging with too. Sun Standards seem too mana-intensive to me but maybe
you'll have better luck. Might be worth using Karma in your sideboard if
you're expecting black players, though Story Circles should do the job too.
These are all cards I'm either using or considering using, my deck's in flux
right now. Good luck with it!
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:22:28 AM

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b24a14$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
> Hello, Scott!
> You wrote on 24 May 2004 11:13:32 -0700:
>
> SV> Here's a white weenie soldier/knight deck that I run that does
> SV> reasonably well:
>
> SV> 4x Raise the Alarm
> SV> 4x Silver Knight
> SV> 4x White Knight
> SV> 4x Mobilization
> SV> 4x Shared Triumph
> SV> 4x Auriok Steelshaper
> SV> 4x Bonesplitter
> SV> 4x Leonin Scimitar
> SV> 2x Vulshock Morningstar
> SV> 2x Leonin Sun Standard
> SV> 2x Deftblade Elite
> SV> 22x Plains
>
> Well, you don't have that many 1-drops - only 2 Deftblade Elites. What
> is your experience with that? Isn't the deck too slow?

Actually, it does reasonably well. I'm usually dropping an equipment
on the first turn. After that, though, the pace picks up quite a bit.

> Leonin Scimitar - too weak IMHO, although Deftblade Elite can benefit
> from it before Leonin Sun Standard is out: killing Goblin
> Warchiefs/Piledrivers while surviving itself is a good thing. Anyway,
> I'll run my Skullclamps in that slot :)

Good choice.

> You don't have any fliers - is it intentional or there are no weenie
> fliers in your collection?
>
> You have enough equipment but no Den-Guards - again, is that
> intentional? It's a Soldier (although it doesn't benefit more from
> Mobilization when equipped).

Like I said in a previous email, this is a fun deck--I threw together
in the course of about an hour for a casual game. I just haven't
gotten around to tweaking it.

> And why no Razor Golems? They are great in White!

Once again, not enough tweaking.

> 4xAuriok Steelshaper is out of question for me right now - as I said, my
> wife will not like the money I need to spend for them - unless I manage
> to trade my other cards for it. If I do, I'll remove the Suntail Hawk
> (a Bird, not a Soldier) and maybe Razor Golem (although it's amazing as
> it is even not being a Soldier/Knight). But then my 2-drop slot becomes
> too crowded - maybe relegate White Knights to the sideboard?
>
> Grafter Headgear from the Fifth Dawn (cost: 3, equip: 0, +3/+2, destroy
> equipped creature if ~ stops equipping it) looks like a nice enough
> equipment for White Weenie - I'll consider adding it to the deck once it
> becomes available.

I haven't seen that one yet. It might actually work out in my deck.

> Regards,
> Arkady.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:06:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Chris!
You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 00:12:49 GMT:

CW> Story Circle and CoP: Artifacts are uncommons and would be good
CW> to have
CW> around, maybe Story Circle maindeck, then sideboard them out for
CW> CoP:A
CW> against artifact decks. And Loxodon Warhammers can be a nice
CW> thing to be
CW> swinging with too.

Unfortunately, Story Circles are rare (at least in 8th Edition) - I'll
see what I can do about them. In the mean time I have a couple of
CoP:Red for my sideboard.

I do have 2 or 3 Loxodon Warhammers although they seem a little bit too
mana intensive for a weenie deck. Would it be right to include 2-3
Leonin Abunas along with 2-3 Warhammers?

About Slith Ascendant: I have one right now and getting a few more
should not be a problem, but I'm afraid it won't live long enough to
become that big and 1/1 flier for 3 isn't that attractive. Besides, I'm
thinking of using fliers primarily for Mask of Memory and Suntail
Hawk/Leonin Skyhunter/Skyhunter Cub (if I end up playing the latter)
seem to be enough to me.

I'll assemble what I can this week and start playtesting. I can post
the results here if anybody's interested...

Regards,
Arkady.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:36:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:28:44 -0400, "Arkady Zilberberg"
<arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I forgot to add I have 2xPurge - should I look for more?
>And another question (please don't laugh) - is Healing Salve any good?

I typically find one-shot lifegain spells to be not that helpful. It's
a delaying tactic. Recurring lifegain, though ... that rocks. :)

I have a pretty strong Soldier deck on Online It runs

Daru Warchief (pumper, reduces soldier costs)
Gustcloak Harrier (flier)
Longbow Archer (first strike, blocks as though flying)
Deftblade Elite (provoke!)
Intrepid Hero (rare, hard to find, tap to kill big critters)
Catapult Squad (tap two untapped soldiers: deal 2 dmg to attacking or
blocking creature. Works well with the Provoke ability)

It also splashes green to run some Mirari's Wake to power
Mobilization, but Wakes are not "budget" cards so you may not need
that. It also runs Aura Shards to pick off all the popular artifacts
of the day. :)

You run a LOT of equipment, which if you run into a creature removal
deck, will sit there with very little to attach to. I'd say whittle
that down some and add some useful instants like Pacifism or Arrest,
or Shelter. If you don't have Aura Shards, you need some way to get
rid of enchantments or artifacts.

Loxodon Warhammer is great to run with Soldiers, because with the
Warchiefs, your creatures typically have pretty good toughness ... all
the need is a power boost. Life gain and trample doesn't hurt. :)

Not sure that Skullclamp is going to the big winner in this deck,
since white prefers to keep creatures from going to the graveyard, not
finding ways to get them there.

Mobilization is a wonderful card for Soldiers if you can find them
(Your soldiers don't tap when attacking, and you can make 1/1 Soldier
tokens for 2W). Daru Encampments are nice too.

You might consider Soldier Replicas in the sideboard, to run against
decks that have pro-white.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Mark!
You wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 09:36:06 -0500:
ML> I have a pretty strong Soldier deck on Online It runs

ML> Daru Warchief (pumper, reduces soldier costs)
A little overcosted to my taste, although very strong in multiples.

ML> Gustcloak Harrier (flier)
ML> Longbow Archer (first strike, blocks as though flying)
I forgot to mention I wanted a Type 2 legal deck...

ML> Deftblade Elite (provoke!)
ML> Intrepid Hero (rare, hard to find, tap to kill big critters)
Precisely that - hard to find.

ML> You run a LOT of equipment, which if you run into a creature
ML> removal
ML> deck, will sit there with very little to attach to.
That's why Skullclamp is there - at least I'll draw a few cards to help
recover.

Regards,
Arkady.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 7:36:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Unfortunately, Story Circles are rare (at least in 8th Edition) - I'll
> see what I can do about them. In the mean time I have a couple of
> CoP:Red for my sideboard.

They were uncommon in Masques. A pretty popular uncommon, but it
shouldn't be too hard to get some.

> I do have 2 or 3 Loxodon Warhammers although they seem a little bit too
> mana intensive for a weenie deck. Would it be right to include 2-3
> Leonin Abunas along with 2-3 Warhammers?

I don't see how 3 mana would be too intensive since you don't mind
running other 3 mana cards like Skyhunter Cub. I know it's a weenie deck,
but come on, 3 lands isn't hard to arrange. :)  I think the Abunas doesn't
really do enough since artifact destruction won't stop your creatures
anyway, it'll just make them smaller by smashing their equipment. Up to you
though.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:02:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

White weenies, my favorite type of deck.

> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster

I personally like this one. With a bonesplitter or scimitar or
skullclamp in the early game and there is a chance for some serious
fun especially if your opponent doesn't pull his creature removal.

> 4xSuntail Hawk
> 4xDeftblade Elite

Both wonderful picks, the hawk for its evasion, the elite for the
provoke and it "gaseous form" ability to stop big attackers and pull
big blockers in the end game.

> 4xFoothill Guide

So not even worth it. This needs to be a cleric tribal deck for this
card even to be considered. If you have to have another one drop you
could sideboard the Leonin elder against affinity.

> 4xLeonin Den-Guard

I love this card. Maybe its just the fact he can be a 6/6 that
doesn't tap to attack with the Vulshok gauntlets. Major meat to put
up against rush decks and I'm still be able to attack with him.

> 4xSilver Knight
> ?xWhite Knight

I don't like these cards, but they are pretty good. Probably should
run two of each and side board the four others.

> ?xLeonin Skyhunter

Wonderful card, makes me smile, run Four please.

> Skyhunter Cub?

I like the cub but it is a little pricey sometimes. Run a few, maybe
four if you have plenty of equipment.

> 4xRazor Golem

Yes, no, maybe? It's a good card but it has drawbacks. It's an
artifact for one which means that its got a ton of removal effects
aimed at it. Second it's not a soldier or a knight. Third it doesn't
have any extra bonus from being equiped. I think this card is more
mediocre than people realize.

> 3 Leonin Abunas

This can be a great card in the right type of deck. If you do run the
golem consider this card to help protect it. Comboed with the Leonin
Shikari and Lightning greaves and you have a removal effect denial
system that is pretty sturdy plus an extra theme, I love themed
decks:)  Honestly not a bad pick for an equipment deck.

> 4xBonesplitter
> 4xSkullclamp

Almost absolute necessities, both good picks for obvious reasons.

> 4xVulshok Gauntlets

I like this card but it may be to pricey for Standard play. Keep it
or lose it for better equipment.

> ?xMask of Memory

Could be critical in some situations but honestly not my favorite
card. I wouldn't play it but you might ought to keep it.

> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
> Are 20 Lands enough?

18-22 lands are about right for a weenie deck, secluded steppes is
alright but don't run all four.

> 4xRaise the Alarm

If you don't run Steelshaper, Daru Warchief, or Glorious Anthem your
wasting your time for these. If you need clamp fodder try to trade
for Moblization.

> 1xLeonin Sun Standard

Glorius Anthem is better (You might just want to buy the 8th ed white
preconstruct for it) but a place to spend extra mana could be useful.
My equipment deck spends most of its mana though on moving equipment
around from attackers to blockers.

> Roar of the Kha?

No, not without Ischron scepter.

> Blinding Beam

Good but I would skip them for more creatures and equipment. Maybe
add some whipcorders or Leonin bolas.

> Hallow?

No, not maindecked at all. Maybe sideboarded against red
burn/control. Very pretty against a hard casted Slice and Dice though
:)

> Sacred Ground?

Sideboarded against LD only.

> Guilded Light?

Probably none, although very fun. Perhaps Ivory Mask instead?

> Soldier Replica?

No, If you are worried about pro-white go with the Razor Golem.

> 4xArrest?

Hit or Miss on this one. Especially with all the sacrifice mechanisms
today and the skullclamp it has pretty limited effectiveness. Against
the unprepared casual combo deck it can be deadly but here its almost
worthless.

> ?xWing Shards

This is a card, I Love to Hate when playing against it. If there was
one card That almost any white deck could benefit from it would be
this one would be it. You are going to be in the control position for
the first couple of turns whether you like it or not against goblins
and affinity usually. This card can easily put them back in place for
a while. Consider not putting blockers out if you draw this in your
opening hand to get a large card advantage by having them attack with
creatures that would ussualy set on the sideline.

Really a pure white weenie deck is probably not going to work.
Affinity, goblins, and even elves are just going to be better at
rushing with the skullclamp. The white "weenie" deck is really the
midrange creature deck, a lot of bear and elephant sized creatures
with a few larger ones sitting between the goblins and elves vs. the
dragons and beasts. Equipment and global pumping is supposed to give
the edge over other weenies while keeping the deck faster than the Big
creature decks. There are a couple of themes that you should
consider.

Global pumping: Leoning Sun Standard, Glorious Anthem, Shared Triumph,
Auriok Steelshaper, Aven brigadier, Daru Warchief, Roar of the Kha

Equipment: Loxodon Punisher, Auriok Steelshaper, Skyhunter cub,
Leoning Den-Guard, Steelshaper Apprentice, Auriok Glaivemaster, Golem
Skin Gauntlets

Cannot be targeted: Leonin Abunas, Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk
cloak, Leonin Shikari, Ivory Mask, Gilded Light

Double strike and combat damage abilities: Fire shrieker, Raksha
Golden Cub, Skyhunter Skirmisher, Slith Ascendant, Banshee blade,
Sword of light and Shadow, Sword of Fire and Ice, Loxodon Warhammer,
Specter's Shroud, Spirit Link

Soldier and Cleric tribal abilities/damage prevention/life
gain/attacker removal/tapping effects/pacifism effects/ pro-color
abilities

Other good cards to consider are Golden Myr (mana acceleration is
wonderful), Auriok Bladewarden, Blinding Angel, Test of Faith, Holy
day, Ischron Scepter, Surestrike Trident, Gustcloak savior, Catapult
Master, and Wrath of God (A reset button can be a powerful thing.)

I have built three recent white weenie decks recently. The one that
wins the most is a tribal soldier deck with global pumping and
catapult master. The one that is the most fun to play is an equipment
deck with a double strike theme and a whisper silk cloak to protect my
big creatures at the end. The last one has cannot be targeted abilies
and holy day and blinding angel and is the most involved. The thing
to remember is that you are not going to win a straight up "race" vs.
most other weenie decks. Your creatures either need to be bigger and
not tap to attack so they can repeatedly block or you need life gain,
damage prevention, pacifism or tapping effects to curb your life loss.
Use the themes of white protection to pull yourself out of the
control position to agressively dominating your opponent in the
midgame. White is about taking a "losing" board and coming back for
the win. I know a lot of these cards may seem out of your price range
but I bet you'll find some of them floating around the trading table.
I also having problems justifying purchases of magic cards so I ask
for them for Christmas and birthday presents.
I hope this all helps and I hope you dominate your local metagame.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 12:47:20 PM

On 26 May 2004 21:02:01 -0700, zelf_gale@yahoo.com (zelf gale) wrote:

>White weenies, my favorite type of deck.
>
>> 4xAuriok Glaivemaster
>
>I personally like this one. With a bonesplitter or scimitar or
>skullclamp in the early game and there is a chance for some serious
>fun especially if your opponent doesn't pull his creature removal.
>
>> 4xSuntail Hawk
>> 4xDeftblade Elite
>
>Both wonderful picks, the hawk for its evasion, the elite for the
>provoke and it "gaseous form" ability to stop big attackers and pull
>big blockers in the end game.
>
>> 4xFoothill Guide
>
>So not even worth it. This needs to be a cleric tribal deck for this
>card even to be considered. If you have to have another one drop you
>could sideboard the Leonin elder against affinity.
>
>> 4xLeonin Den-Guard
>
>I love this card. Maybe its just the fact he can be a 6/6 that
>doesn't tap to attack with the Vulshok gauntlets. Major meat to put
>up against rush decks and I'm still be able to attack with him.
>
>> 4xSilver Knight
>> ?xWhite Knight
>
>I don't like these cards, but they are pretty good. Probably should
>run two of each and side board the four others.
>
>> ?xLeonin Skyhunter
>
>Wonderful card, makes me smile, run Four please.
>
>> Skyhunter Cub?
>
>I like the cub but it is a little pricey sometimes. Run a few, maybe
>four if you have plenty of equipment.
>
>> 4xRazor Golem
>
>Yes, no, maybe? It's a good card but it has drawbacks. It's an
>artifact for one which means that its got a ton of removal effects
>aimed at it. Second it's not a soldier or a knight. Third it doesn't
>have any extra bonus from being equiped. I think this card is more
>mediocre than people realize.
>
>> 3 Leonin Abunas
>
>This can be a great card in the right type of deck. If you do run the
>golem consider this card to help protect it. Comboed with the Leonin
>Shikari and Lightning greaves and you have a removal effect denial
>system that is pretty sturdy plus an extra theme, I love themed
>decks:)  Honestly not a bad pick for an equipment deck.
>
>> 4xBonesplitter
>> 4xSkullclamp
>
>Almost absolute necessities, both good picks for obvious reasons.
>
>> 4xVulshok Gauntlets
>
>I like this card but it may be to pricey for Standard play. Keep it
>or lose it for better equipment.
>
>> ?xMask of Memory
>
>Could be critical in some situations but honestly not my favorite
>card. I wouldn't play it but you might ought to keep it.
>
>> How many Secluded Steppes (if any)?
>> Are 20 Lands enough?
>
>18-22 lands are about right for a weenie deck, secluded steppes is
>alright but don't run all four.
>
>> 4xRaise the Alarm
>
>If you don't run Steelshaper, Daru Warchief, or Glorious Anthem your
>wasting your time for these. If you need clamp fodder try to trade
>for Moblization.

Not just tokens, but you get to attack without tapping.

>> 1xLeonin Sun Standard
>
>Glorius Anthem is better (You might just want to buy the 8th ed white
>preconstruct for it) but a place to spend extra mana could be useful.
>My equipment deck spends most of its mana though on moving equipment
>around from attackers to blockers.
>
>> Roar of the Kha?
>
>No, not without Ischron scepter.

What about Peity Charm?

>Global pumping: Leoning Sun Standard, Glorious Anthem, Shared Triumph,
>Auriok Steelshaper, Aven brigadier, Daru Warchief, Roar of the Kha

Coat of Arms?

Brigadier at 3WWW is pretty pricey without some serious acceleration.
If you play Brigadier, you want some more Bird Soldiers in your deck,
since Bird Soldiers would get the bonus twice.

Warchief seems almost a requirement.
!