Discard deck - advice on creature to add

Last response: in Video Games
June 1, 2004 5:55:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hey all,

This is _NOT_ my original deck. I found it at essential magic website,
but thought it was a fun one to play. My concern is that creature-wise,
it sometimes seems hard to get the "Doomsday Specter" into play. Would
like some advice on what to do, if anything, to help this situation. Granted,
it appears the deck doesn't really desire many more creatures than
it has. My first thought would be to get rid of 2 of the Specters and
replace with some other creature that causes discards from hand, possibly
as a leaving or entering play ability. Other option to add a different
specter.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

13 x swamps
10 x islands
(note: would you rec. a nonbasic land or two to replace a couple of the
above?)
4 x recoil
4 x urza's guilt
4 x megrim
4 x obsessive search
4 x mind bomb
4 x ravenous rats
4 x recoil
4 x doomsday specter
4 x megrim
4 x duress
4 x ostracize
1 x memory jar
(note: original deck did not have the Memory Jar. I added it and removed
a swamp)
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:08:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> 13 x swamps
> 10 x islands
> (note: would you rec. a nonbasic land or two to replace a couple of the
> above?)
> 4 x recoil
> 4 x urza's guilt
> 4 x megrim
> 4 x obsessive search
> 4 x mind bomb
> 4 x ravenous rats
> 4 x recoil
> 4 x doomsday specter
> 4 x megrim
> 4 x duress
> 4 x ostracize
> 1 x memory jar
> (note: original deck did not have the Memory Jar. I added it and removed
> a swamp)

First, you've got recoil and megrem listed twice. That's not right.
You might want to go with Warped Devotion and Boomerangs.

Or, perhaps some sort of "Looter" (merfolk looter, cephalid looter, the new
one in 5th Dawn) who forces folks to draw and discard. These are blue and
with a Megrim out essentially become "Tap: Do 2 damage to target player".

As for spectres, there's a few. Abyssal Spectre was reprinted in 8 (I'm
pretty sure) and is a 2/3 flier that causes discard when it hits a player.
There's also an Onslaught morphing Spectre (Hollow?).

Also, I use Cabal Interrogators (Tap: Target player discards) which are
nice. It's only playable as a sorcery, but you can use it over and over.

Finally, I slipped a few Geth's Grimoires in my discard deck (when a player
discards, you draw). I haven't tried them out yet, and they are a little
pricey at {4}, but if they are doing a lot of discarding, they should help.

Peter
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:17:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:08:27 GMT, "Risser Family" <news@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> 13 x swamps
>> 10 x islands
>> (note: would you rec. a nonbasic land or two to replace a couple of the
>> above?)
>> 4 x recoil
>> 4 x urza's guilt
>> 4 x megrim
>> 4 x obsessive search
>> 4 x mind bomb
>> 4 x ravenous rats
>> 4 x recoil
>> 4 x doomsday specter
>> 4 x megrim
>> 4 x duress
>> 4 x ostracize
>> 1 x memory jar
>> (note: original deck did not have the Memory Jar. I added it and removed
>> a swamp)
>
>First, you've got recoil and megrem listed twice. That's not right.
>You might want to go with Warped Devotion and Boomerangs.
>
>Or, perhaps some sort of "Looter" (merfolk looter, cephalid looter, the new
>one in 5th Dawn) who forces folks to draw and discard. These are blue and
>with a Megrim out essentially become "Tap: Do 2 damage to target player".
>
>As for spectres, there's a few. Abyssal Spectre was reprinted in 8 (I'm
>pretty sure) and is a 2/3 flier that causes discard when it hits a player.
>There's also an Onslaught morphing Spectre (Hollow?).
>
>Also, I use Cabal Interrogators (Tap: Target player discards) which are
>nice. It's only playable as a sorcery, but you can use it over and over.
>
>Finally, I slipped a few Geth's Grimoires in my discard deck (when a player
>discards, you draw). I haven't tried them out yet, and they are a little
>pricey at {4}, but if they are doing a lot of discarding, they should help.
>
>Peter

This one of the first decks I built when I recently got back in to MTG
(from a 9 year break). It revolved around Isochron, Boomerang, Geth's
Grimoire and Warped devotion. I mixed it with red for creature
removal which allowed me to get that combo out. Once you get that
combo out, you've won the game.

Oh yes, the deck was red/black so the Boomerangs were a dead card
unless you imprinted it on the Isochron.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:53:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Oh yes, the deck was red/black so the Boomerangs were a dead card
> unless you imprinted it on the Isochron.

If you're playing red/black discard, may I recommend Lavaborn Muse? She
punishes the opponent with a hefty 3 damage per turn if they have less than
3 cards in their hand.

I've got her in a deck with Megrims, and I love the idea that the opponent
has to hold cards or get hit by the muse, but if they DO hold cards, you can
make them discard and get hit by the Megrim. It's neat.
Peter
!