Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP account starts then immediately shuts down

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:15:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?

I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
a problem.

Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
that)?

Thanks in advance.

More about : windows account starts immediately shuts

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Michael,
There's two ways around this.
1) When the system boots, press the F8 key (I might be wrong on the number)
to get windows to a boot menu. Once there, startup in Safe Mode.
or
2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure windows
IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
Mode.

Once in safe mode, run MSCONFIG from Start > Run...
Choose Diagnostic startup and restart your system.
Then go from there.

Good Luck!


"Michael Maher" wrote:

> Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?
>
> I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
> Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
> but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
> Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
> the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
> a problem.
>
> Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
> names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
> that)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Looks like you got virus/spyware.......

In singning on windows don't touch the mouse, hold ctrl/alt and press delete
fast twice, you will get the comp admin account on the screen try login in
with it.

You would need this free softwares

http://www.lavasoft.de
http://www.avast.com


"Black Wolf Standing" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> There's two ways around this.
> 1) When the system boots, press the F8 key (I might be wrong on the number)
> to get windows to a boot menu. Once there, startup in Safe Mode.
> or
> 2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
> if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
> Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure windows
> IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
> turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
> Mode.
>
> Once in safe mode, run MSCONFIG from Start > Run...
> Choose Diagnostic startup and restart your system.
> Then go from there.
>
> Good Luck!
>
>
> "Michael Maher" wrote:
>
> > Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?
> >
> > I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
> > Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
> > but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
> > Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
> > the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
> > a problem.
> >
> > Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
> > names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
> > that)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> >
Related resources
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:39:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Nicoliani,
Actually, there are a number of issues that could cause this to happen
without it being virus/spyware. A couple of examples include a critical
system file becoming corrupted or a program that loads at startup having the
wrong inialization parameters. While virus/spyware does come to mind, don't
over look other possibilities.

Good Luck Michael.

"Nicoliani" wrote:

> Looks like you got virus/spyware.......
>
> In singning on windows don't touch the mouse, hold ctrl/alt and press delete
> fast twice, you will get the comp admin account on the screen try login in
> with it.
>
> You would need this free softwares
>
> http://www.lavasoft.de
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
> "Black Wolf Standing" wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> > There's two ways around this.
> > 1) When the system boots, press the F8 key (I might be wrong on the number)
> > to get windows to a boot menu. Once there, startup in Safe Mode.
> > or
> > 2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
> > if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
> > Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure windows
> > IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
> > turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
> > Mode.
> >
> > Once in safe mode, run MSCONFIG from Start > Run...
> > Choose Diagnostic startup and restart your system.
> > Then go from there.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> >
> > "Michael Maher" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?
> > >
> > > I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
> > > Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
> > > but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
> > > Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
> > > the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
> > > a problem.
> > >
> > > Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
> > > names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
> > > that)?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > >
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:34:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Black Wolf Standing" <BlackWolfStanding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3ABF727A-2F0A-4C88-A365-EC452AF975D3@microsoft.com...

> 2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
> if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
> Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure
> windows
> IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
> turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
> Mode.

LOL.
You can boot into safe mode by doing this. Start>run and type

msconfig

Boot.ini>check "/SAFEBOOT"

This will boot Windows into Safe Mode on the next restart.

--
William
Anonymous
October 31, 2009 12:22:10 AM

My computer is doing this same thing. I have a Dell B110 running XP. The idea of going into safe mode does not work. As safe mode starts up it automaticly shuts down again. I can't format or reinstall XP. My system wont let me do anything onther than f8 or f12 menu's. I ran the diagnostic tests and it said everything passed. No memory or disk errors so I assume it must be a software issue but I am no teckie guy so I don't know where to go from here. I tested the DDR on another computer with no issues so I reinstalled it in the Dell (I was thinking for a moment that there may be an issue with the ram).

I feal like taking a hammer to this thing but I realy need the computer and can't afford a new one right now. Any new ideas would be great...
March 23, 2012 1:30:41 AM

Quote:
My computer is doing this same thing. I have a Dell B110 running XP. The idea of going into safe mode does not work. As safe mode starts up it automaticly shuts down again. I can't format or reinstall XP. My system wont let me do anything onther than f8 or f12 menu's. I ran the diagnostic tests and it said everything passed. No memory or disk errors so I assume it must be a software issue but I am no teckie guy so I don't know where to go from here. I tested the DDR on another computer with no issues so I reinstalled it in the Dell (I was thinking for a moment that there may be an issue with the ram).

I feal like taking a hammer to this thing but I realy need the computer and can't afford a new one right now. Any new ideas would be great...


It may be that the cpu is running to hot. I had a desktop computer doing the same thing. All modern motherboards come with a cpu temp threshold and you can set it to what limit you want. When the CPU reaches that tempreture or goes above it the computer will shutdown to protect itself form further hardware/CPU damage. if you have a spare cpu that is the same socket as the one you currently have eg LGA775. switch them out and try it again and leave it running in the bios for a while and see if that fixes.
!