Windows XP account starts then immediately shuts down

Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?

I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
a problem.

Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
that)?

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows account starts immediately shuts down

    Hi Michael,
    There's two ways around this.
    1) When the system boots, press the F8 key (I might be wrong on the number)
    to get windows to a boot menu. Once there, startup in Safe Mode.
    or
    2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
    if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
    Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure windows
    IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
    turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
    Mode.

    Once in safe mode, run MSCONFIG from Start > Run...
    Choose Diagnostic startup and restart your system.
    Then go from there.

    Good Luck!

    "Michael Maher" wrote:

    > Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?
    >
    > I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
    > Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
    > but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
    > Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
    > the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
    > a problem.
    >
    > Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
    > names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
    > that)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Looks like you got virus/spyware.......

    In singning on windows don't touch the mouse, hold ctrl/alt and press delete
    fast twice, you will get the comp admin account on the screen try login in
    with it.

    You would need this free softwares

    http://www.lavasoft.de

    "Black Wolf Standing" wrote:

    > Hi Michael,
    > There's two ways around this.
    > 1) When the system boots, press the F8 key (I might be wrong on the number)
    > to get windows to a boot menu. Once there, startup in Safe Mode.
    > or
    > 2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
    > if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
    > Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure windows
    > IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
    > turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
    > Mode.
    >
    > Once in safe mode, run MSCONFIG from Start > Run...
    > Choose Diagnostic startup and restart your system.
    > Then go from there.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >

    > "Michael Maher" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. Anybody out there ever have this one happen?
    > >
    > > I sign on to a user account (Administator, some other account, whomever).
    > > Windows starts up for the user, starts painting the desktop, the task bar,
    > > but NO shortcuts (not even the standard Windows XP stuff (Recycle Bin,
    > > Internet Explorer, etc.) - NONE of it), then goes right into shutting down
    > > the user. No stopping to give me a shot to Run something to start diagnosing
    > > a problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas, friends? Is there nothing left of the user accounts but their
    > > names (and maybe, the administrator password (oh, yes, it still asked for
    > > that)?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    Hi Nicoliani,
    Actually, there are a number of issues that could cause this to happen
    without it being virus/spyware. A couple of examples include a critical
    system file becoming corrupted or a program that loads at startup having the
    wrong inialization parameters. While virus/spyware does come to mind, don't
    over look other possibilities.

    Good Luck Michael.

    "Black Wolf Standing" <BlackWolfStanding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3ABF727A-2F0A-4C88-A365-EC452AF975D3@microsoft.com...

    > 2) When windows just starts to load, turn off your computer. Pull the plug
    > if you have to. Just get the computer off before windows can fully load.
    > Note: the eariler in the loading process, the better. Just make sure
    > windows
    > IS loading and not just bios information flashing on the screen before you
    > turn off your computer. On restart, you'll get to a boot menu. Choose Safe
    > Mode.

    LOL.
    You can boot into safe mode by doing this. Start>run and type

    msconfig

    Boot.ini>check "/SAFEBOOT"

    This will boot Windows into Safe Mode on the next restart.

    --
    William
  5. My computer is doing this same thing. I have a Dell B110 running XP. The idea of going into safe mode does not work. As safe mode starts up it automaticly shuts down again. I can't format or reinstall XP. My system wont let me do anything onther than f8 or f12 menu's. I ran the diagnostic tests and it said everything passed. No memory or disk errors so I assume it must be a software issue but I am no teckie guy so I don't know where to go from here. I tested the DDR on another computer with no issues so I reinstalled it in the Dell (I was thinking for a moment that there may be an issue with the ram).

    I feal like taking a hammer to this thing but I realy need the computer and can't afford a new one right now. Any new ideas would be great...
  6. Quote:
    My computer is doing this same thing. I have a Dell B110 running XP. The idea of going into safe mode does not work. As safe mode starts up it automaticly shuts down again. I can't format or reinstall XP. My system wont let me do anything onther than f8 or f12 menu's. I ran the diagnostic tests and it said everything passed. No memory or disk errors so I assume it must be a software issue but I am no teckie guy so I don't know where to go from here. I tested the DDR on another computer with no issues so I reinstalled it in the Dell (I was thinking for a moment that there may be an issue with the ram).

    I feal like taking a hammer to this thing but I realy need the computer and can't afford a new one right now. Any new ideas would be great...

    It may be that the cpu is running to hot. I had a desktop computer doing the same thing. All modern motherboards come with a cpu temp threshold and you can set it to what limit you want. When the CPU reaches that tempreture or goes above it the computer will shutdown to protect itself form further hardware/CPU damage. if you have a spare cpu that is the same socket as the one you currently have eg LGA775. switch them out and try it again and leave it running in the bios for a while and see if that fixes.

Windows XP