Wndows Firewall/ICS Service

I am running XP Pro service pack 2. When I try to start the firewall in the
control panel it will not start. When I try to start the service manually i
get the following error:

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service on local computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

I cannot tell what file it can't find or how to replace it. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about wndows firewall service

    "valcin" wrote:

    > I am running XP Pro service pack 2. When I try to start the firewall in the
    > control panel it will not start. When I try to start the service manually i
    > get the following error:
    >
    > Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > service on local computer.
    >
    > Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    > I cannot tell what file it can't find or how to replace it. Any help would
    > be greatly appreciated.

    Hi Valcin,

    See if the file ipnathlp.dll is present in the following folder:

    %SystemRoot%\System32\

    If missing, extract a new copy from source.
    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "valcin" <valcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Pro service pack 2. When I try to start the firewall in
    >the
    > control panel it will not start. When I try to start the service manually
    > get the following error:
    >
    > Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > service on local computer.
    >
    > Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    > I cannot tell what file it can't find or how to replace it. Any help
    > would
    > be greatly appreciated.

Firewalls Windows XP