NV40 to have 300 MILLION transistors!!!

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
inquirer;

"The report adds that the NV40 will have 300 million trannies and run at 600MHz, use special DDR-II memory and be produced at the IBM foundry at .13µ (micron) towards the end of the year."

my god, this should be amazing!!! thats over twice as many transistors as the nv35!! a palomino/tbred only has 35million if i remember correctly. it will also have a much higher clock, and will be made by IBM at end of year so isnt all that far off!!!

mind you, i cant help thinking how good the nv30 was meant to be.

also notes that ATI R500 will be 0.9 micron next year.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
interesting, thanks =)

<b>should</b> be quite a card

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
No it wont. That article just misconstrued a statement made in another article about transistor numbers. Anybody with common sense can tell you that is impossible

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i dont know if its impossible, but it is over twice as many transistors as the 5900 has, so it doesnt seem likely...did the inquier butcher info from the economic news article they mention? usually they provide a link to their info, they didnt this time, so i assume that article isnt posted anywhere on the net.

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
There was an article a while back commenting on the next gen gfx cores having "hundreds of millions of transistors". Well for some reason the inq seems to think that means 300 million instead of 200 million, which is the right number and is double the number of transistors on gfx cards right now. a 300 million transistor chip would be impossible to make on anything more than 0.09micron

eden

Champion
Your hype will also be your disappointment man!

What'd they do now, put in 50 TNT 2s? :lol:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
"What'd they do now, put in 50 TNT 2s? "

Eden!! dont tell them~~ that's top secret infomation, now people know what nVidia's up to

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
perfect is not when you can't add anything anymore. its when you cannot remove anything anymore.

more transistors does NOT mean bether hardware. it only means more energy consumation, bigger size, more expensive, and all. it does NOT mean good hardware at all..

with half the amount of transistors of an nv30 it would be easy to build a hw that beats out every nv30 in speed, features, and quality. most of the transistores there in are used for useless redundand old buggy features, or similar.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
If ATI is going to a .9µ...HOLY CRAP. The smaller it is = less heat which = higher clock speeds (since the heat shouldn't there with .9µ) which = faster processes = ungodly framerates (fingers crossed).

I'd probably guess that the clock speed would push in upwards of 600Mhz...and if ATI pushed their clock speeds that high on that .9µ Imagine the performance. I'd be awed if they attained a .9µ ...I'd literally have to wipe the drool from my mouth and staple my bottom jaw to the top one.

I mean, even if Nvidia doubles the transistors and pushes the clock to 600Mhz (assumably on a .13µ) one has to realize that it wasn't too far ago that they attained 550Mhz on their clock and that didn't do jack squat for framerates. Hopefully, they will get it on down to a .9µ as well so we can get some good old fashioned competition up in here.

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
a 300 million transistor chip would be impossible to make on anything more than 0.09micron
exactly, that's the reason why the nv40 won't have 300m transistors but probably only around 150m since it's based on 0.13 micron.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
That's what I was thinking. It will probably still be a great card. Unless, of course, if nVidia does something STUPID.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

eden

Champion
if nVidia does something STUPID.
Why did I just shrug reading this? :eek:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
"more transistors does NOT mean bether hardware. it only means more energy consumation, bigger size, more expensive, and all. it does NOT mean good hardware at all.."

thats wrong, well maybe it will be hotter and new cards are inherantly more expensive, but have you ever seen a table comparing performance and number of transistors through the generations? ever heard of moores law? more transistors are needed to make more complex chips to give us better graphics, do you think its some sort of conspiracy or something?, Nvidia/ATI would desperately try to keep down number of transistors to keep chips cheaper and easier to make = more profit.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
the nv30 is filled with useless transistors, they have a full gf4 backend on their hw, they have simply added the gfFX over it, and have NOT removed now useless oldway hw.

they have as well NOT designed their hw well, to only do what it needs to. instead, they filled it with tons of useless options, wich are oldstyle and not for use in any modern shader.

result is, the nv30 is much "more" than the r300, and still cannot do the same jobs as well.

adding transistors is bruteforce. higher clocking is bruteforce. smaller factrory method is bruteforce. they increase performance, but they don't solve the reasons for slow performance.

nvidia finally has to draw new hw right from the startup. no, it will not have that much transistors, but yes, it kicks everies gfFX's ass in features, speed, coolness, size, etc.

believe me, i know what i'm talking about. its the same as in software. adding and adding makes software slow, big, and clumsy, and instable. same for hardware.

their hw is NOT cleaned up. if you believe that, read up on the beyond3d forums about how the nv30 chip goes on..

and yes, after that clean up, you can start reusing all the yet used transistors, for more pipelines for example. bruteforce again:D bruteforce on an optimized system is good. bruteforcing to "optimize" a bad system is not.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Will someone PLEASE pass the Popcorn I can't wait to see Dave's reply to THIS. HEhe! :evil:

I'd answer you but I feel it's best (and more entertaining) that Dave do it.

I'll just add this about cost (supporting Dave of course [Never cross DaveP! :wink: ]), that right now they are costing nV more than their 0.15 procces due to poor fab, and longer respin times.

Now I'll sit back and watch the festivities.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Damn you Dave! Your timing couldn't have been worse! Argggh! :eek:

I spent too long looking for the article I read about the cost diff. between 0.13 and 0.15 for nV (couldn't find it so I was going to add later) Dang!

Oh well it was fun to read your post. HEhe!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
Adding to Dave, why would the Athlon then have much less transistors than the P4 yet it performs so much better per clock?

Adding SSE2 would not add that much anyways, so you'd still have a K7 with a smaller amount of transistors. Furthermore if they divided the K7 pipelines into 20 stages without even adding transistors, you would have both: a core that has less transistors AND can scale much better and perform better than the P4.

It's all about how you design your core first.
Itanium 2 has in fact less than 40 million IIRC, but the monster cache brings it to abnormally high levels like 400 million.

--

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I cant argue with you because i dont know exactly how gpus work, but i am still skeptical.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
This only means a GPU than will draw even more from your PSU and a louder cooller installed, bad enough the ones out are loud enough.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

I cant argue with you because i dont know exactly how gpus work, but i am still skeptical.
Hint, just take his word for it, and move on.

It's like phalluses, it's not the size that counts but what you do with it. :evil:

'We have a very small penis. So Small!' - South Park

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
It's like phalluses, it's not the size that counts but what you do with it.
Don't you mean phalli??? :smile: (plural of -us = -i, as in hippopotomi, octopi, or radii)

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

eden

Champion
Well you can figure that one out pretty easily mon cher ami!

Eh alors, pourras-tu trouver qqes photos pour l'album bientôt si possible?

--