Why can't I buy a Latitude without a company?

I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
robust machine.

I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
But it's a slightly more risky route.

More about latitude company

    "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    > company account etc.

    Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small business
    with or without a real company.

    --

    Rob

    I used company name of
    "<my last name> Consulting"
    Worked fine.
    Dave

    In article <BPadnQkyVNv_IEbcRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, Robert R Kircher, Jr.
    <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    > > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    > > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    > > company account etc.

    > Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small business
    > with or without a real company.

    But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
    and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
    made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
    rules. So...

    Tell me more, I'll remember it next time. :)

    > In article <BPadnQkyVNv_IEbcRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, Robert R Kircher, Jr.
    > <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    >> > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    >> > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    >> > company account etc.
    >
    >> Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small
    >> business
    >> with or without a real company.
    >
    > But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
    > and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
    > made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
    > rules. So...
    >
    > Tell me more, I'll remember it next time. :)

    Order online via the small business site. I think it ask for a company
    name. Make something up like My Friend Inc.

    Once you've ordered that way you'll just use the same customer number for
    any other orders that you may call in.

    BTW: I haven't called in a order in years. I usually email a PDF of what I
    configure on the web site to the sales agent I've been working with. Every
    so often that agent moves on and I get an email from the new agent. In any
    event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if you
    happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
    geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two different
    groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to the
    SB group.

    Good luck.

    --

    Rob

    "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <BPadnQkyVNv_IEbcRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, Robert R Kircher, Jr.
    > <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    >> > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    >> > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    >> > company account etc.
    >
    >> Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small
    >> business
    >> with or without a real company.
    >
    > But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
    > and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
    > made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
    > rules. So...
    >
    > Tell me more, I'll remember it next time. :)
    >
    > --

    "Whytoi Enterprises", with your usual home address and phone.

    Be sure you're calling the small business division ( I was told 400
    employees or less). You shouldn't have a problem.

    That should get you your Latitude.

    Stew

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:28:23 GMT, Whytoi <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
    >and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
    >made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
    >rules. So...
    >
    >Tell me more, I'll remember it next time. :)

    What about using your work address, or your wives, or you another relative?

    Like Ira says, just order online via the Small Business section of the
    website. Make up a company name if it's a required field - hell, make one
    up anyway just so nobody second-guesses the order. If the credit card is
    good, Dell will take your money.

    If you have a sales rep or did talk to someone on the phone, *never* enter
    the sales rep's code into the online order form.-- it will only stop the
    order cold in it's tracks and even though you think your order is happily
    speeding it's way through production, you'll get a call a day or two later
    from the human rep wanting to "handle" the order. I no longer put our Dell
    "account" number on my orders for this reason. Unfortunately their system
    works this way and is completely stupid. It pisses the customer off by
    delaying the order if you do want to do the "right" thing and give the
    person a commission. My (former) sales rep at Dell told me when you put
    these codes in, they have some sort of "exception" batch report that runs
    every night and an excel spreadsheet of these orders is passed around in the
    department for phone followup. Totally non-tech.

    I assume now every time I order a PC from them a new account number is
    created. So I have like 50 account numbers. Not a big deal, it's not like
    I get special treatment or discounts. Dell's byzantine "sale" pricing is
    hit or miss anyway.

    -- Paul

    "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    > company account etc.
    >
    > What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
    > I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
    > robust machine.
    >
    > I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
    > But it's a slightly more risky route.

    Hmmmm. I used Microsoft Corporation.

    In article <kO6dnVPw15ZbeEbcRVn-pg@giganews.com>, Robert R Kircher, Jr.
    <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > In any
    > event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if you
    > happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
    > geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two different
    > groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to the
    > SB group.

    Yes, I think that was the exact reason why an extra order was made on
    my account (see previous post). The unethical agent in the home user
    section rather than spending 2 mins on modifying my existing order
    (alteration to the delivery method + an extra charge), she just went
    ahead and added an identical order, at the same time lying to me on the
    phone to say that the only way to do it was to cancel the present order
    and generate a brand new one. The end result would have been further
    delays in the delivery date for a further $69 out of my pocket. Just as
    well I smelled fish and told her to do nothing and called back to
    another agent.

    Anyway, this kind of behaviour is so typical of those New York
    photographic mail order stores, one that is most unbecoming of Dell.
    The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off...

    "Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
    > their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
    > tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
    > company account etc.
    >
    > What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
    > I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
    > robust machine.
    >
    > I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
    > But it's a slightly more risky route.
    >
    > --

    Just order online from the small business website-- but be prepared to pay
    sales tax which they collect on orders there.

    > In article <kO6dnVPw15ZbeEbcRVn-pg@giganews.com>, Robert R Kircher, Jr.
    > <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In any
    >> event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if
    >> you
    >> happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
    >> geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two
    >> different
    >> groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to
    >> the
    >> SB group.
    >
    > Yes, I think that was the exact reason why an extra order was made on
    > my account (see previous post). The unethical agent in the home user
    > section rather than spending 2 mins on modifying my existing order
    > (alteration to the delivery method + an extra charge), she just went
    > ahead and added an identical order, at the same time lying to me on the
    > phone to say that the only way to do it was to cancel the present order
    > and generate a brand new one. The end result would have been further
    > delays in the delivery date for a further $69 out of my pocket. Just as
    > well I smelled fish and told her to do nothing and called back to
    > another agent.
    >
    > Anyway, this kind of behaviour is so typical of those New York
    > photographic mail order stores, one that is most unbecoming of Dell.
    > The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off...

    Not quite sure I'm following you completely but I can tell you that once an
    order has been submitted by the sales rep the only way to change it is by
    canceling it and recording. This may seem backwards but I'm sure it has to
    do with the dynamics of their order process system. Remember that every
    dell is made to order so once it's in the process virtually or physically
    they cant just pluck it off the line to make changes. I assume it's more
    efficient to simply cancel the order and start over.

    --

    Rob

    In article <DMGdnZ5JXNN--EHcRVn-jg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
    says...
    > Not quite sure I'm following you completely but I can tell you that once an
    > order has been submitted by the sales rep the only way to change it is by
    > canceling it and recording. This may seem backwards but I'm sure it has to
    > do with the dynamics of their order process system. Remember that every
    > dell is made to order so once it's in the process virtually or physically
    > they cant just pluck it off the line to make changes. I assume it's more
    > efficient to simply cancel the order and start over.

    That is true. And I should also mention that everything at Dell (order
    system, support system, etc.) is still running on old Tandem servers
    (not Dell servers) which break down a LOT. You would not believe how
    many times you enter something, the system crashes 20 minutes later and
    you have to enter it again because it was lost.

    It's possible the sales person cancelled the order. The servers crashed
    and the cancel request was lost but the new order was not.

    Quite honestly, I usually handle those situations through my credit card
    company by disputing the charge. Nothing gets a Customer Care rep on
    the case faster than a call from MasterCard or Visa that a customer is
    disputing a charge.

    In article <s1UCd.918$75.448@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, S.Lewis
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > "Whytoi Enterprises", with your usual home address and phone.
    >
    > Be sure you're calling the small business division ( I was told 400
    > employees or less). You shouldn't have a problem.
    >
    > That should get you your Latitude.

    Great domain name. I'll have to register that! Thanks! :)

    In article <10tobu7ob3b6o5e@corp.supernews.com>, joe_tide
    <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > Hmmmm. I used Microsoft Corporation.

    I might use Apple Computer Inc then. :)

    Seriously. Thanks to all who responded. I have reordered, found just
    the right model in their Outlet section. Big discount and hopefully can
    be fast tracked and have it delivered in time.

    Bad Bubba,
    Wow that bit about Dell using old servers that crash is interesting.
    Heck you'd think that they'd want to use their own equipment. Sort of like
    Bill Ford driving around in a Toyota, and an old one at that. Thanks for the
    insight.
    Paul

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message

    snipped
    > That is true. And I should also mention that everything at Dell (order
    > system, support system, etc.) is still running on old Tandem servers
    > (not Dell servers) which break down a LOT. You would not believe how
    > many times you enter something, the system crashes 20 minutes later and
    > you have to enter it again because it was lost.

    snipped

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:01:12 -0500, "Paul Schilter"
    <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote:

    >Bad Bubba,
    > Wow that bit about Dell using old servers that crash is interesting.
    >Heck you'd think that they'd want to use their own equipment. Sort of like
    >Bill Ford driving around in a Toyota, and an old one at that. Thanks for the
    >insight.
    >Paul
    >
    >"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message
    >
    >snipped
    >> That is true. And I should also mention that everything at Dell (order
    >> system, support system, etc.) is still running on old Tandem servers
    >> (not Dell servers) which break down a LOT. You would not believe how
    >> many times you enter something, the system crashes 20 minutes later and
    >> you have to enter it again because it was lost.
    >
    >snipped

    Yes that would be interested if true................Tandem was bought
    by Compaq in 1997..............Tandem makes/made a very nice bunch of
    mid-range / high end servers..........anything after 97 is more along
    Compaq line.

    In article <duoru09un1ns4daddttfl5j6719t865m92@4ax.com>,
    YouCantHandleTheTruth@nonya.net says...
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:01:12 -0500, "Paul Schilter"
    > <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote:
    >
    > >Bad Bubba,
    > > Wow that bit about Dell using old servers that crash is interesting.
    > >Heck you'd think that they'd want to use their own equipment. Sort of like
    > >Bill Ford driving around in a Toyota, and an old one at that. Thanks for the
    > >insight.
    > >Paul
    > >
    > >"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.dude> wrote in message
    > >
    > >snipped
    > >> That is true. And I should also mention that everything at Dell (order
    > >> system, support system, etc.) is still running on old Tandem servers
    > >> (not Dell servers) which break down a LOT. You would not believe how
    > >> many times you enter something, the system crashes 20 minutes later and
    > >> you have to enter it again because it was lost.
    > >
    > >snipped
    >
    > Yes that would be interested if true................Tandem was bought
    > by Compaq in 1997..............Tandem makes/made a very nice bunch of
    > mid-range / high end servers..........anything after 97 is more along
    > Compaq line.

    It is true... They are working on moving it all over to Dell servers,
    but it's a LOT of work rewriting all of the internal software to run on
    the Solaris platform. Supposedly it will be ready next year. In the
    meantime.... lots and lots of downtime.

Dell Latitude Computers