Sign in with
Your question

Yikes! Another blow to Nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2003 4:14:15 PM

The grave is dug another few feet down. I sure hope they bail themselves out soon. Nvidia has lost the Xbox contract accounting for 20% of their profits in the last 2 yrs. D'oh!

<A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5063661.html?tag=fd_top" target="_new">Check it out</A>

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

More about : yikes blow nvidia

August 14, 2003 4:24:43 PM

its gotta hurt. all my prev cards have been nvidia but my next card will be an ATI for sure.

<i>Mmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:
August 14, 2003 6:36:19 PM

So how many more hints does nVidia need to take before they realize they need to change?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.
Related resources
August 14, 2003 6:49:17 PM

just a few more ;) 

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
August 14, 2003 10:43:14 PM

Oh that only means mass layoffs and if you have stock there you better sell it now!!!! Microsoft is a bitch to deal with and maybe in the long run it was for the best for nvidia to have the chance to jump ship from the devil. Maybe now they could focus thier attention on making a GPU that is stable and will work with HL2 and DOOM 3.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 14, 2003 10:53:53 PM

Too late, ATI immediately increased on the news and nV immediately fell.
MS may be a pain, but they seem to pay their bills, and that equates to payed for R&D IMO. This was an opportunity for ALL makers, since the VPU/GPU makers dojn't take part in the loss-leading activites that are the risky part of the venture.
IF they make the Xbox have an upgradeable VPU/CPU similar to the board in Alienware's laptops, I think you'd have a winner for the consumer and likely a strong selling point for the X-Box, and like a strong tie-in for ATI. The thing would be to make it proprietary so ATI stay the ole supplie of the VPUs, otherwise nV could sell replacement boards. All in all I think it's just another knock on nV's door saying, wake-up. I hope they listen as that's what would be best for us all.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
August 14, 2003 10:56:35 PM

YAY!! now PS3 will PWN ALL!!!! i mean ATi is not bad~~ but think of it this way, Sony, Toshiba, IBM all pitch in 400 million US to develop Cell, that's enough money to buy 10 ATis lol~~~

PS3 and CELL WILL PWN ALL!!! OBEY THEM BEFORE UR CRUSHED!!!

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 14, 2003 10:58:32 PM

it would take billion $ to take ATi.
Micro$oft maybe able to do it.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 14, 2003 11:01:24 PM

urg, ATi is not worth a billion.......and their ain't close

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 14, 2003 11:33:02 PM

I agree with CoolSquirtle. I love all consoles, but I have a feeling that Sony is going to take the next vicory as they have with PS2, regardless of Microsoft's connections with ATi. The Cell is just too powerful and Sony knows just what to deliver to the masses. Besides, Sony may join up with another company to create a custom graphics chip based on the Cell. Just think, 2 Cells in one box. Holy sh*t, I'm scared.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>
August 14, 2003 11:38:05 PM

it's not just 2 cells, it's like millions of them running in a connection~~ the whole Cell project is just amazing, this clearly shows, it doesn't matter if ur the richest man or not, it's the stuff u can come up with that counts!!

PS3 WILL PWN ALL!! OBEY THEM OR U'LL BE CRUSHED!!!

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 14, 2003 11:44:45 PM

Right. What I mean is that they might have a separate network of parallel processors just for graphics. Hence: 2 cells.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>
August 15, 2003 12:05:51 AM

if nVidia joins SONY, nVidia will RULE ALL WAHAHHHAHAHAHAH

PS3 WILL PWN ALL JOIN NOW, OR BE CRUSHED!!!

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 15, 2003 12:33:52 AM

There is only one good game on PS2 (slight exageration but not too far off) and that is gran tourismo! I have a PS2 only for that game alone. I hate sony, they have all but destroyed quality gaming. The only reason it is such a success is due to the mindless chumps who know nothing about games. They take one look at a game cover and think "wow, that looks good" without knowing didly squat about it they buy all the sh!t. and the knobs whoo buy revision after revion of those damn ea games!!!

sorry to rant (no doubt someone will flame me for my opinion) I think it boils down to this: Sony gave us the "Casual Gamer" and withit single handedly killed console gaming and made it into, well, the tripe it is today really. PS3 will be huge simply due to the previous incarnations being successful. regardless of whether its a good machine or not expect ps3 to have the dominant market share next time round. and on the subject of this thread, Well done ATI - tough doogies NVidia. Lets just hope microsoft can sort out a decent looking machine next time and get the damn 3rd party support that it desperatley needs from Japan.

Nintendo rule!

PC Gaming Rules!

Peace out!

We Love you all!

Goodbye!

<i>Mmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:
August 15, 2003 12:35:27 AM

Quote:
The grave is dug another few feet down. I sure hope they bail themselves out soon. Nvidia has lost the Xbox contract accounting for 20% of their profits in the last 2 yrs. D'oh!

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOP|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i damn near fell outta my chair when i read this !!! HAHAHAHAHHAAAHHA OMG@!!!!

<b>wow!!</b>

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
August 15, 2003 12:35:55 AM

Re. Sony

From what I have read the problem with that type of parellism is not the hardware, its the software. As complicated as game development is these days it will be even more so on such a rig. They may have to develop graphics emulator programs to make it backward compatible with older games and developing newer games would be very very difficult to do at a reasonable price.

Re. ATI

Nvidia brought forth nforce MBs from the development of Xbox. ATI should experience a similar infusion of money from Microsoft and that should keep this Graphics market cooking.
August 15, 2003 12:46:32 AM

ATI is in teh motherboard market now with their 9100 IGP. its a northbridge as well

i think ATI will be a bigger player in teh next year , more so than even the biggest ATI fanatics thought! im so happy cause now i can laugh at all those Nvidiots who beat me down by the sheer scale of their numbers.

its hard to get a point across when 40 people are flaming your post (Nvnews... complete morons) . the tables will be turned muahahaha

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
August 15, 2003 1:20:02 AM

get something called Devils May Cry and Final Fantasy X-2 and Onimusha~~ Nintendo is the one falling apart here u GameCubist~~ PS2 PWNS ALL right now and PS3 WILL PWN ALL!!

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 15, 2003 1:21:21 AM

However it should still be noted that hyping about something which will appear in 2-3 year from now, well, isn't really smart, since nVidia can pull up anything in the next three years and screw aside Xbox profits!

By then who knows what will come up. Point being that ATi's profits or R&D WILL NOT get anything any soon, nor yank out anything for HL2 or Doom III!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
August 15, 2003 1:23:44 AM

Are you including the PSX in the list of bad Sony hardware?

If so, you'd be the most wrong person. PSX is by far better than N64's cheap 64-bit attempt of a hardware.

Gaming-wise, PSX has excellent Squaresoft games, such as Final Fantasy and PS2 holds that as well. How can you possibly think it's made for mindless chumps?!

Now I ain't no Sony fanboy, I don't even own a PSX or PS2, I own a GameCube. Love Nintendo for quality games, but I wish I had access to the PS2 to go through FF 10.

You're seriously not looking at the whole picture, regrettably.

--
August 15, 2003 1:30:06 AM

Hmmm quite high levels of froth and spittle in this thread. Need a towel! :smile:

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
August 15, 2003 1:34:38 AM

(pats Eden on the back)

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 15, 2003 4:06:06 AM

you need to sit in the corner.

-------
I been registered here for too long :-\
August 15, 2003 4:55:23 AM

dont tell me what to do (goes to the corner)

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 15, 2003 6:28:35 AM

What? Like Sony? Please show me any indication Sony is suddenly going to change it's mind and go with a 3rd party supplier for its console parts
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2003 6:39:17 AM

Actually, this puts ATI in nVidia sales territory, now nVidia will have much greater pressure to do something truely revolutionary with their cards.

I doubt they'll make the same mistakes 3DFX did when it was nVidia breathing down their necks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 15, 2003 7:38:02 AM

Ummmmm..... nvidia has no intel chipset.... they lost the xbox2 (xbox is 20% of the profits).... they lost a good amount of there 3rd party card makers.... there making the moves crash..... there getting a bad rep with some sites for there lil 3dmark and ut2k3 thing....

I hope Via-S3 releases there DX9 chip or SiS gets back in the 3d Card market. Maybe the Bitboys can make a comeback and be no. 1

-------
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2003 7:54:57 AM

I hope the VIA/S3 card performs great and crashes all the time, so I can keep flaming VIA fans. And if history is any indicator, it would require VIA 2 years to fix all the issues, and they'd never admit there were any issues.

One VIA fan even went so far as to ask me to provide documentation proving that VIA never documented their problems! w00t!

I'd like to see Matrox back in the gaming sceen.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 15, 2003 8:09:18 AM

Yea i'd would also. After the G200 they ran out of gas. How would think when 3dfx was falling ATi came out of no where releasing a card i think ahead of its time. Then 3dfx fell and nVidia become No1. They made some good cards GF2, GF3, GF3ti and GF4. During then they really didnt have that much of pressure or trouble. The Radeon 8500 was soppose to be the GF3 killer but nVidia released the GF3 Ti500 to counter it. Then the GF4 so ATi had nothing but, preping ther R300 as the GF4 killer. It came out and nVidia got rocked really bad GF4 Ti4600 looked Extremely out of date compared to the R9700 and its DX9 and FSAA proformace. Then they paniced they released an half ass card *FX 5800*. The the FX5900 came out looked like a good fast card then the community that made them to a powerhouse thought back with 3d Mark 2k3. Seems they dont need to use a magic mode of AF to give them high 3d Marks. Also the AF in Ut2k3 of which Kyle from [H] is complaining about now. Right now the only thing there selling is GF FX5200's. ATi still controls a big chunk of the highend DX9 market. Right now there R420 is on time and they got the GC2 and the Xbox2 so there going to have a lot more $$$ coming in for even more R&D. Im saying some 3rd party needs to come on and make it more interesting.

-------
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 15, 2003 11:57:56 AM

Quote:
nvidia has no intel chipset

hat may not be the case much longer as during a recent conference call they touched on the possibility of getting a licence with Intel. So don't rely on that, ATI still hasn't shipped their 9100IGP/RS300 yet, and nV is planning on DX9 (based on FX5600 not 5200) to be added to future Mobo's integrated graphics line-ups.
If nV enters the Intel ring, then ATI will have a tougher time than if they had exclusivity.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:  <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 08/16/03 07:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2003 11:59:57 AM

I'll have to agree and disagree. Sony will take the console crown. Xbox OWNS the online gaming crown. The news that ATI is now on with Xbox will invigorate some software manufacturers desire to produce games for Xbox and probably mostly those of the online variety. As most know, the only thing that was disappointing was that Xbox didn't have a ton of kick arse games like Sony does. Perhaps this will change.

Also, Sony doesn't really have alot of experience in the online gaming department. Microsoft rewrote their own software/protocol for Xbox online. They have the resources to OWN that part of the market for a very long time. I forsee that Sony will have a battle on their hands in the online console gaming department.

Another side note to think about. With the increasing number of people networking their systems and the increased popularity of firewalls...would you put money on Sony or Microsoft to be able to develop a way to communicate online console games through that jungle?

TKS
August 15, 2003 1:00:57 PM

Quote:
Hmmm quite high levels of froth and spittle in this thread. Need a towel! :smile:

MmmmmmMmMMmmMmm....froth.

TKS
August 15, 2003 1:21:22 PM

tis true, competition does that

next year should be just as interesting as this last year has been =)

-------

August 15, 2003 7:07:39 PM

I doubt we'll ever see a chipset from nVidia that works on Intel Platform. Right now where too busy pumping up on the x86-64 platform with AMD.

-------
August 15, 2003 8:18:14 PM

RCF don't take this personally but you keep doing a small error I thought I'd share with you:

Don't use "There" when you point at something owned by someone, use THEIR. Their products, their R420.

As well, don't use "THERE" when you mean "THEY ARE". They're doing, they're creating, etc. not "There doing".

I notice you replace a lot of homonymes with those that end with "ere", such as there, and where. Both have homonymes that are verb contractions and others.

Just some tips.

--
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 08/15/03 04:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2003 8:19:50 PM

I said what about Sony?!

--
August 15, 2003 10:12:51 PM

u wont say that once u see what CELL is capable of doing for online gaming. Basically when PS3 comes out, when u play a game, ur not just using the power of one CELL in ur PS3, ur using tons of CELLs. It's just crazy, and just imagine online gaming

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 15, 2003 10:43:27 PM

Fvck game consoles:) 

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.
August 15, 2003 10:58:18 PM

And?

That says NOTHING about the games it will have!

Besides, they are focusing so much on processors that GPUs are being ignored, it'll likely be wasted power, if not made for too many tasks putting aside the true purpose: gaming.

Sony and everyone aside Nintendo have to realize games are at the core, not the hardware.
That does it, I'm going back to my SNES and redo Mario World.

--
August 16, 2003 12:08:51 AM

GW UR BACK!! PEOPLE SAY UR DEAD!!

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 16, 2003 12:36:02 AM

Didn't you say that previously when he came back?

--
August 16, 2003 1:03:02 AM

i know lol

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 16, 2003 6:32:22 AM

XBOX2 will get raped hard in sales by PS3, same way PS2 oWns XBOX. Muhahahahaa. Isn't it good to see Microsoft getting their asses kicked for a change.

Also there is a rumor that Sony is coming out with a handheld game system to compete with the gameboy, looks like Nintendo is gonna get a another round of ass whoopin' from Sony as well.

P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 7220.7 80GB SATA
August 16, 2003 8:00:14 AM

Its not a rumor. Its gonna be kick ass, way frickin better than the Gameboy Advance, oh wait, I mean the Lameboy... not... advanced.. Lol.

And Coolsquirtle, stop getting a chubby at the idea of all these CELLS!!! Trust me, you wont have a thousand cells doing graphics calculations for your ps3. Graphics and most AI will occur within the ps3, other cells accross the network will contribute with *some AI, and with the game world/landscape in games like Evarckwesst Tooo, and... three? Only multiplayer games btw will use other cells for any calculations, even then like i said its mainly some ai and level stuff, and some other junk but not graphics.

BTW Matrox will be releasing another gaming card next year (i read a few sentences on it somewhere), most likely sometime after the r420 but before the 6 month refresh, called.. you guessed it, the Parhelia 2.

But like its predesessor I expect 'cool' sounding features, and lack-luster performance at its launch, but it will keep surround gaming which is looking quite attractive to many gamers (mainly rich gamers who can afford 3 monitors).

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2003 1:11:28 PM

Quote:
I doubt we'll ever see a chipset from nVidia that works on Intel Platform. Right now where too busy pumping up on the x86-64 platform with AMD.

Nah, I think they'll hae alot more time on their hands now they don't have to deal with MS. :tongue:

We shall see though. It woul be a good competitive move. They have built a rep. for Mobos now, and ATI still has none yet. So steal ATI's thunder before it starts sounds like a prety good strategy to me.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2003 1:13:28 PM

And you keep missing the 'You look good!' part. I mean c'mon! :tongue:

I told you he wasn't gone, just busy!

August 16, 2003 4:24:36 PM

Quote:
Besides, they are focusing so much on processors that GPUs are being ignored, it'll likely be wasted power, if not made for too many tasks putting aside the true purpose: gaming.

Exactly....

look at the original nes it was great because of games not becuase of graphics...

-=[ Addicted, Finally. ]=-
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2003 7:28:52 PM

The thing about surround-gaming is, with the advent of PCI-EX cards/boards will we be able to enable it if we simply have 2-3 PCI-EX cards on our system (2= 1 main + 1 for each side ; 3 = obvious [1 for all 3 gaming monitors + two to run pr0n and stock quotes/ticker on 2 additional monitors.] :evil:  )

I look forward to the next level, and really I still hold out hope for another great card from them, man imagine 16X AA running triple digit frames in modern games! WooHoo!

But we shall see, as always.

August 16, 2003 8:18:50 PM

Imagine that they had released new drivers lately that actually make the card go thrice as fast, but since no one pays attention to it anymore, only few will know about it, hehehee. :evil: 

--
    • 1 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!