Card modifications

CanyonMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Has anybody had experience with modifying graphics cards? I'm talking about upgrading components such as memory, processors, anything. I am looking at modifying my Radeon 9600 Pro (don't worry, If it burns I have replacements or I'll upgrade). I have resources at my work (software, hardware, mechanical, electrical engineers and all the tools that go with that).

What exactly are you trying to do?

I suggest you go the the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=49" target="_new">Overclocking 3D Chips</A> section of THGC. That's where most of the Graphics Card modding is talked about. But you may still not get an answer if you are trying to do something like turn the R9600P into a 256bit memory card as that takes some SERIOUS reworking (like new PCB).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
If you trying to do wat I think you want to do it would be pointless and better off getting the 9700 or 9800. That card can be oced like a mother but would have to increase the voltage in the process which means a bigger cooler. Ive put dragon orb cpu coolers on GPUs before to keep up with the high demand from voltage increase and you could try it for yourself. Could also up the ram a little without artifacting and maybe higher with copper heatsinks installed on them which you should be doing anyways since that 2.8ns ram burns extremely hot even in some underclocked settings. Anything more than that would be worthless even on a braggin level.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

I think he's more interested in tinkering than simply having a killer card.

Just the way I read it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

CanyonMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
You got it GreatGrapeApe! I am just looking to tinker more than anything. Overclocking is no big deal and I am building some custom heatsinks with leftover parts for my card also, just for the wow factor more than anything. I only ask because I saw that the Radeon 9500 Pros could be converted into 9700 Pros (older board versions apparently) and it got my creative (or destructive if you ask my girlfriend) juices going.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Well, I'd try tp pry off the GPU and replace it with a different one, just for the hell of it. :smile: :evil: (This being of course if I had lots of time and money)

Hey by the way; if you kill your 9600 can I have it? I already have one working 9600 Pro, but I've always wanted to try to revive a dead one!

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Try the Hardocp website.
They have some zesty mods like ramsinks, new gpu coolers, all water cooling and voltage mods.

I think wat you want is a bit beyond them though.

Soldering on new chips and stuff that regulate voltage and the like may be possible...
ram chips theoretically if you are good at micro-soldering.
But to put a new GPU on is pushing it.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 08/14/03 09:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually it was old 9500 NON-pro 128MB that was upgradable to a 9700 NON-pro, and some could be overclocked to 9700 Pro specs. This was a unique card in that it used the 9700 Pro PCB complete with it's 256-bit memory bus. The hack enabled the other 4 rendering piplines. Later cards are only modifiable to 9500 Pro spec, which has all 8 pipes but only a 128-bit memory bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CanyonMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Just reviving this post. Actually I want to expand it to almost any other cards. I now have in my collection of cards: GeForce FX 5200, TNT 2 32 MB, Herculeas 3D Prophet 4500 64MB, Voodoo 5 5500, Sapphire 9600 Pro 128 MB, other generic cards. I am looking to tinker for the hell of it. Don't care about burning up any of the cards except maybe my 9600 Pro, but that could even be sacrificed in the name of scientific research. :) Anybody out there got any ideas?

AMD XP 1500
512 MB DDR PC2100
MSI KT4VL
20GB HDD
Sapphire 9600 Pro 128MB
Windows XP HE
Lian-Li PC-60