when i log on i get this message

svchost.exe
run-time '5':
Invalid procedure or argument

help please. i tried ad-aware and my viruse programs, but its still there.

Go to Start/Run, and type MSCONFIG then look at the STARTUP TAB, to uncheck unwanted, checked items

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"alberto" <alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E0BF53A-B9D3-4096-B944-292B0ADBD6DE@microsoft.com...
> when i log on i get this message
>
> svchost.exe
> run-time '5':
> Invalid procedure or argument
>

> help please. i tried ad-aware and my viruse programs, but its still there.

i dont know what to uncheck it doesnt say anythign about svchost

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run, and type MSCONFIG then look at the STARTUP TAB, to uncheck unwanted, checked items
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "alberto" <alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E0BF53A-B9D3-4096-B944-292B0ADBD6DE@microsoft.com...
> > when i log on i get this message
> >
> > svchost.exe
> > run-time '5':
> > Invalid procedure or argument
> >

> > help please. i tried ad-aware and my viruse programs, but its still there.

i dont know what to uncheck. i unchecked a few but it still wont work.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run, and type MSCONFIG then look at the STARTUP TAB, to uncheck unwanted, checked items
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "alberto" <alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E0BF53A-B9D3-4096-B944-292B0ADBD6DE@microsoft.com...
> > when i log on i get this message
> >
> > svchost.exe
> > run-time '5':
> > Invalid procedure or argument
> >

> > help please. i tried ad-aware and my viruse programs, but its still there.

Unchecking everything will not stop the basic system from starting, and may indicate that it is something there.

From a command line, TASKLIST /SVC will give you a PID to compare with the results of NETSTAT /ANO.

This will show what is using svchost.

If it is a basic system error. To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW