Windows update broke browser? (SP2)

My dad's computer, which has had SP2 installed since it was released to
public will no longer browse the net with IE since a recent update.

I decided to reformat and reinstall XP for him. All was going well untill I
got to the point where I installed SP2.

After I installed SP2, the problem came back where he was no longer able to
browse the internet.

I uninstalled SP2 and the browsing is fine again.

He tells me this happened after the last Auto Update.

Anyone here of a similar problem happening to anyone else? I would like to
get SP2 installed again on his computer (This computer). Thanks for any
help.

*looks for edit button........."here" = "hear" although that is quite
impossible =P.

.....my computer was not affected badly by the latest update from Microsoft
Update .
Did you remember the PCI modem drivers and the Modem software . Usually
one or the other gets forgotten .
Reinstalled a hundred times in 1 year ....

"Roadster_034" wrote:

> My dad's computer, which has had SP2 installed since it was released to
> public will no longer browse the net with IE since a recent update.
>
> I decided to reformat and reinstall XP for him. All was going well untill I
> got to the point where I installed SP2.
>
> After I installed SP2, the problem came back where he was no longer able to
> browse the internet.
>
> I uninstalled SP2 and the browsing is fine again.
>
> He tells me this happened after the last Auto Update.
>
> Anyone here of a similar problem happening to anyone else? I would like to
> get SP2 installed again on his computer (This computer). Thanks for any
> help.

peter

No problems here at all. I assume you've checked for viruses and spyware.
Try resetting the winsock Start/Accessories/Command prompt type in "netsh
winsock reset" without the "" and enter. Reboot.
Should work fine with SP2.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"Roadster_034" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> My dad's computer, which has had SP2 installed since it was released to
> public will no longer browse the net with IE since a recent update.
>
> I decided to reformat and reinstall XP for him. All was going well untill
> got to the point where I installed SP2.
>
> After I installed SP2, the problem came back where he was no longer able
> browse the internet.
>
> I uninstalled SP2 and the browsing is fine again.
>
> He tells me this happened after the last Auto Update.
>
> Anyone here of a similar problem happening to anyone else? I would like
> get SP2 installed again on his computer (This computer). Thanks for any
> help.

(original poster posting from home now) - Roadster_034's son.

The strange part is that he connects to the internet. The browser just
won't browse.

I can open up a command prompt on his computer and ping his local IP and
ping google just fine.

He opens the browser and there is nothing.

This is working on a totally clean and fresh install of Windows XP Home. I
reformatted because of this problem to begin with.

His internet is a pppoe conneciton via a dsl modem (Earthlink).

Modem diagnostics all pass with flying colors. He is trained at 950k down
and 354k up.

I will have to keep SP2 uninstalled for now I guess. He has updated
antivirus/firewall/antispyware so it isn't so bad. Just a odd problem.

> No problems here at all. I assume you've checked for viruses and spyware.
> Try resetting the winsock Start/Accessories/Command prompt type in "netsh
> winsock reset" without the "" and enter. Reboot.
> Should work fine with SP2.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "Roadster_034" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> My dad's computer, which has had SP2 installed since it was released to
>> public will no longer browse the net with IE since a recent update.
>>
>> I decided to reformat and reinstall XP for him. All was going well
>> untill I
>> got to the point where I installed SP2.
>>
>> After I installed SP2, the problem came back where he was no longer able
>> browse the internet.
>>
>> I uninstalled SP2 and the browsing is fine again.
>>
>> He tells me this happened after the last Auto Update.
>>
>> Anyone here of a similar problem happening to anyone else? I would like
>> get SP2 installed again on his computer (This computer). Thanks for any
>> help.

Rodney

Lola Falona Burgerman wrote:
> (original poster posting from home now) - Roadster_034's son.
>
> The strange part is that he connects to the internet. The browser just
> won't browse.
>
> I can open up a command prompt on his computer and ping his local IP and
> ping google just fine.
>
> He opens the browser and there is nothing.

What is it that you expect to be there? By "there is nothing" do you
mean that the browser (IE?) has a home page set and it does not display?
Do you receive any error message? Have you checked the browser's
security settings to see if it is locked down too much to access the
page you want to visit? Have you tried browsing to other pages, for
example, manually to Windows Update?

Rodney

I reckon hes done what I do sometimes and that is forget to load the Moden
software .

"Rodney" wrote:

> Lola Falona Burgerman wrote:
> > (original poster posting from home now) - Roadster_034's son.
> >
> > The strange part is that he connects to the internet. The browser just
> > won't browse.
> >
> > I can open up a command prompt on his computer and ping his local IP and
> > ping google just fine.
> >
> > He opens the browser and there is nothing.
> >

> What is it that you expect to be there? By "there is nothing" do you
> mean that the browser (IE?) has a home page set and it does not display?
> Do you receive any error message? Have you checked the browser's
> security settings to see if it is locked down too much to access the
> page you want to visit? Have you tried browsing to other pages, for
> example, manually to Windows Update?
>
> Rodney

The DSL modem is fine. Diagnostics check out all clean.

It has something to do with the last critical update.

No web page will display at all. All he gets is "page cannot be displayed"
no matter where he tries to go. Windows Update included.

Uninstalled SP2 and all is good.

"Umwhat" <Umwhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reckon hes done what I do sometimes and that is forget to load the Moden
> software .
>
> "Rodney" wrote:
>
>> Lola Falona Burgerman wrote:
>> > (original poster posting from home now) - Roadster_034's son.
>> >
>> > The strange part is that he connects to the internet. The browser just
>> > won't browse.
>> >
>> > I can open up a command prompt on his computer and ping his local IP
>> > and
>> > ping google just fine.
>> >
>> > He opens the browser and there is nothing.
>> >

>> What is it that you expect to be there? By "there is nothing" do you
>> mean that the browser (IE?) has a home page set and it does not display?
>> Do you receive any error message? Have you checked the browser's
>> security settings to see if it is locked down too much to access the
>> page you want to visit? Have you tried browsing to other pages, for
>> example, manually to Windows Update?
>>
>> Rodney

Im experiencing same trouble. All pc is ok, adn just andonly after sp2 all
that uses tcp stops working (but not trace, dns or ping!)
Tried already a fix, without success
(http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html) nor the "hand" trick
(netsh winsock reset catalog).

Some one has an idea how to fix ?