Anti white equipment?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi all!

My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
weenie with a green or red deck?

clayton

"Douwe Bouma" <douwebouma@home.nl> wrote in message news:ce380v$kdt$1@news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
> Hi all!
>
> My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
> quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
> in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
> well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
> relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
> weenie with a green or red deck?

Well, depending on the equipment used, Pyroclasm and Flamebreak should clear
some weenies. Wing Snare would be efficient at killing any of the flying weenies.

Alternatively as most weenies have a converted mana cost of 3 or less,
Pyrostatic Pillar would probably hurt the deck too. She still has her weenies
and equipment, but she'll take 2 damage to play them.

On a less conventional scale, Magnetic Theft will let you borrow your girlfriend's
equipment for a bit. Glissa Sunseeker is a reusable artifact destroyer and she
comes in a 3/2 First Striking frame.

A Lure+Dead Iron Sledge combination would force all the weenies to block one
creature and die. Provoking creatures could do the same, only one creature at a time.

Anyways that's just some ideas.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
42

Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
> quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
> in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
> well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
> relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
> weenie with a green or red deck?

Burn is an efficient way to deal with the equipment threat. Respond to
the equipment activation by removing the target. Steely Resolve works
in the opposite way assuming that most of her creatures have a common
creature type.

If you don't want wasted cards versus non-artifact decks, then look
for creatures like Viridian Shaman or Goblin Replica that can hit
artifacts and participate in the attack phase.

Naturalize can do double duty, removing enchantments and artifacts.
Aura Shards makes each of your creatures come with a Naturalize built
in. Hull Breach can get either or both.

Other colors can work too. Equipment is no good if there are no
creatures carrying it. Black can kill white creatures easily - Terror,
Dark Banishing, Smother, Devour in Shadow, Mutilate, Pestilence. Wall
of Bone and regenerating blockers can gum up the ground. Icy
Manipulator can tap the creatures that survive your removal. Use Drain
Life and Consume Spirit to keep your life total up.

mypetrock

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Clayton!
You wrote on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:21:38 -0400:

C> A Lure+Dead Iron Sledge combination would force all the weenies
C> to block one
C> creature and die. Provoking creatures could do the same, only
C> one creature at a time.

I don't think it's that useful - white weenies are designed to attack,
not block :)
It does help against Leonin Den-Guard/Razor Golem, though...

Regards,
Arkady.

clayton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> C> A Lure+Dead Iron Sledge combination would force all the weenies
> C> to block one
> C> creature and die. Provoking creatures could do the same, only
> C> one creature at a time.
>
> I don't think it's that useful - white weenies are designed to attack,
> not block :)
> It does help against Leonin Den-Guard/Razor Golem, though...

True. My bad. Unless there's a way to mass untap creatures so that
they can block, but that seems to combo-like to be effective against
a weenie deck. It was an idea, just not a good one

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
He's Dead Jim.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Douwe Bouma sez:

<<
>My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
>quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
>in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
>well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
>relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
>weenie with a green or red deck?

Green doesn't usually deal with creatures well, except with other (bigger)
creatures. Artifact hate's about the best you can hope for with green.

For Red, four copies of Pyroclasm should do nicely. Plus stuff like Tremor,
Flamebreak, and Inferno (if you wanna get really expensive; please bring back
Earthquake for 9th, or at least put in Fault Line...)

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:37:25 +0200, "Douwe Bouma" <douwebouma@home.nl>
wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
>quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
>in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
>well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
>relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
>weenie with a green or red deck?

If you aren't limited to Standard, try Aura Shards from, I think,
Invasion block. It needs white and green, but really hoses artifact
and enchantment decks.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Wouldnt these Vandals help ? My experience with these kind of threats on
the table is that most opponents wont play something vulnerable to the
threat unless they've got an answer on hand or it doesnt matter anyways
due to overwhelming odds.

Ouphe Vandals
{2}{G}
Creature -- Ouphe
2/2
{G}, Sacrifice Ouphe Vandals: Counter target activated ability from an
artifact source and destroy that artifact if it's in play. (Mana
abilities can't be targeted.)

Douwe Bouma wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> My girlfriend is playing this white weenie/equipment deck which is actually
> quite good. Are there any standard cards in green or red that are effective
> in countering this? Filling my deck with artifactdestruction worked quite
> well ofcourse, but that made a deck that would be crushed by any deck not
> relying heavily on artifacts..... So is there another way to beat white
> weenie with a green or red deck?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

damping matrix, damping matrix kills it she won't be able to use the
equip ability or activated abilities needed to make the deck work.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I've had great success with an elf deck against most other decks, including
white/artifact equipment decks. Wirewood Hivemasters in the beginning of
the game help a lot when you start generating insect 1/1 tokens that you can
use as fodder while you give your deck time to give you more powerful cards.
Naturalize is very helpful along with Blaze, Fireball, and Detonate when
combined with a couple Wirewood Channelers. Tel-Jilad Archers are good at
neutralizing the threat of flying creatures that white decks tend to have.

Elves > *

That's why people hate elf decks and tend to refuse to play against people
who use elf decks. ;-)