geforce4ti and fx series cards

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
hi

whats the main differences between the gf4 ti series and the fx series of cards as the price between them is very small but the fx cards are newer.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
well the closest competetors to teh GF4TI series is the 5200ultra (HAS to be the ultra version. non-ultra is worthless and slower thatn GF4MXs in some cases. dont even consider it) and the 5600ultra

in terms of raw power, like fillrate (the ability to draw pixels fast on teh screen) and and geometry output , the GF4TI series is better. if your playing games like UT2003 and Command and Conquer Generals, Directx7-8 games, then the GF4Ti will serve you better.....

UNLESS

you turn on Ansiotropic Filtering and/or Full Screen Anti Aliasing. this will drop the performance of teh cards significantly , but sinse the GFFX cards are newer they tend to quite a bit more efficient at both of these enhancements

ifyou had of asked me last month i would have suddgested a GF4TI.

but i bought one. and its NOT what people all over the internet claim it to be. its fast if you use NO extra options like AF or AA... but as soon as you turn 4xAF on expect a 50% drop in frame rates. its sad but true

so if you can pick up a 5600ultra or 5200ultra for close to the same price, or less, then go for it..

you may not have the raw power of a GF4TI, but in the end you WILL be able to have much better visual quality (which you would EXPECt a GF4 to give you!) at playable framerates.

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Differences? Quite a bit.
The '4' series is based on the previous DirctX8 core.
The 'FX' is a directX9 core with lots of design improvements, especially in the area of FSAA implementation.

Though not all the FX cards are fantastic...

The FX5200 series are very budget. Think of them as geforce4mx with dirctX9. Its performance is bad enough that actually running any DX9 stuff on it pretty much cripples the card.
The FX5600 is your mainstream card.
THe FX5800 has been discontinued as it ran too hot, too loud and had crummy performance compared to the R9700/9800.
FX5900 top end cards (and expensive)

The question of if a '4' card is faster than a mid level 'FX' depends on if you are running with FSAA and Ansio.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes yor thinking along the same lines as me

but have you ever seen Battle Field 1942 without Ansio?

<b> YUCK </b>

it even hinders my snipering to an extent, because of teh fuzziness.

thats why im recommending the 5600GFFX over the GF4ti 4200

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
me have R9800pro with 4x AA and 16x ansio.

Fuzzyness? What fuzzyness? :smile:

My old Geforce2pro sucked though. AA and even simple Ansio took such a performance hit.

<b>Regards,

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
***envy***

i have GF4TI.. but enabling 4xAF drops my framerate alot

AA? out of teh question

***envy***

-------

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe
*basks in the envy*

AA drop on the R9800pro is very modest.
Partially due to insane framerates to begin with i must add :wink:
6xAA though sucks too much performance for my liking, with no noticable visual quality improvment.
Ansio sucks even less performance.

Gotta love the new generation of Graphics cards.

<b>Regards,

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
It seems we get one of these post about ever 5 days.I,ve had both the ATI9800 pro and the FX 5900 Ultra.I took them both back and I,m useing my GF 4 ti4600 untill the next batch comes out and if they don't show me anyting they go back as well.The AA is fine,but in a fast pace game as 1942 or RS3 (raven shield 3) you want know the diff after 5 mins about AA if you playing the game with a mind to win.Now if you playing everquest type games that is a diff story,but I can't see me ever playing such games to use the AA to smooth out the room funiture and stair bansters.My goal is to BUY a video card and play a game and get an average framerate constantly above 60 fps in all phases of the game,then and only then will I "BUY" a card that can use AA during game play or any other feature thay use with the Video card That includes flight sims which is more CPU dependent,alone with the gpu.I have not seen that perfromance yet in any cards I,ve used.So untill them I will stick with my GF4 TI 4600 BTW did you notice the price went up on the GF4 Ti4600 4X ans 8X,most disable 8x anyway it slows the card down even on the new ones LOL.I wish I had done a test of setting the 8X and 4x to see any diff.I,m only going on what I read in a review settup,can't remember where I read the review.If anyone has any info on this let me no.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS