Which is Better?

peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Let's say you're running a deck with enough artifacts that Thoughtcast
is generally {U}... Which is better: Thoughtcast or Serum Visions?

Sometimes Thoughtcast is more than {U} but Serum Visions is always
{U}, and you always get the Scry.

I haven't used SV yet, but I'm thinking of throwing some draw into one
of my artifact decks, and I was wondering which you guys prefered.

Oh, also, let's say there's no tech that takes special advantage of
hand-size (Maro or Maro-pants [Empyrial Armor], or
deck-stacking/knowing what your top card is (Future Sight,
Thoughtsifter, any of the top 4-tutors...). That is, except of
course, the obvious; that having more cards is good, and stacking your
deck can be good.

Oh, there's also the possibility of Fabricate, which is: forget
drawing, go get exactly the artifact you need.

What are your thoughts?

On 30 Jul 2004 07:04:10 -0700, knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote:

>Let's say you're running a deck with enough artifacts that Thoughtcast
>is generally {U}... Which is better: Thoughtcast or Serum Visions?
>
>Sometimes Thoughtcast is more than {U} but Serum Visions is always
>{U}, and you always get the Scry.

Visions. Scry is big benefit.

>Oh, also, let's say there's no tech that takes special advantage of
>hand-size (Maro or Maro-pants [Empyrial Armor], or
>deck-stacking/knowing what your top card is (Future Sight,
>Thoughtsifter, any of the top 4-tutors...). That is, except of
>course, the obvious; that having more cards is good, and stacking your
>deck can be good.
>
>Oh, there's also the possibility of Fabricate, which is: forget
>drawing, go get exactly the artifact you need.

Rush of Knowledge is good too if you are playing an affinity deck,
meaning you probably have some high CMC permanents out relatively
early.

Mark Landin <mark.landin@tdwilliamson.com> wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2004 07:04:10 -0700, knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote:
>
> >Let's say you're running a deck with enough artifacts that Thoughtcast
> >is generally {U}... Which is better: Thoughtcast or Serum Visions?
> >
> >Sometimes Thoughtcast is more than {U} but Serum Visions is always
> >{U}, and you always get the Scry.
>
> Visions. Scry is big benefit.

Although I do like the Scry mechanic I'd have to say that Thoughtcast is
a much better card in decks like Ravager Affinity.

These sorts of decks need the cards in their hand *now.* Being able to
change or see what you're about to draw is not as useful as getting
those cards in hand.

> >Oh, there's also the possibility of Fabricate, which is: forget
> >drawing, go get exactly the artifact you need.

I think Fabricate could be too expensive unless you're playing a combo
deck.

> Rush of Knowledge is good too if you are playing an affinity deck,
> meaning you probably have some high CMC permanents out relatively
> early.

It's possible that if you're casting Myr Enforcers for very little
you'll be able to finish the game quickly. Before you get to the point
where you can cast Rush of Knowledge. It's a great card for a 'bad'
affinity deck. But it's not much use in a tournament deck.

Garscow