Grognard

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I've seen Arc-Slogger turn up in a number of decks, but I can't figure out
why. It seems to have an awfully big drawback for a small effect. What
am I missing?

Arc-Slogger
{3}{R}{R}
Creature -- Beast
4/5
{R}, Remove the top ten cards of your library from the game: Arc-Slogger
deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Allen

--
G'Kar: With luck, they may never find you. But, if they do, you will
know pain. Na'Toth: And you will know fear. G'Kar: And then you will

"Grognard" <grognard@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> I've seen Arc-Slogger turn up in a number of decks, but I can't figure out
> why. It seems to have an awfully big drawback for a small effect. What
> am I missing?
>
> Arc-Slogger
> {3}{R}{R}
> Creature -- Beast
> 4/5
> {R}, Remove the top ten cards of your library from the game: Arc-Slogger
> deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Basically, it's reusable Shock. How many games have you played where there
are less than 10 cards in your library at the end of the game? Probably not
too many, I'd guess. Besides, in this format, a 4/5 creature is quite beefy,
and for 5 mana, he's not overcosted by any means. So, on top of being
efficient, he's got an ability (and a rather unique one, at that). This
drawback isn't as horrible as it seems, if used in moderation. Of course,
you wouldn't want to use it more than 4 times in a game, but 4 "extra"
(virtual) Shocks in your deck is a good thing, if your goal is to burn your
opponent out. Also, the "drawback" isn't so much of a drawback when used in
combination with Scry (usually Magma Jet).

Say you have 12-13-ish cards in your library during a long, drawn-out game.
Shoot a Magma Jet at something (say, your opponent's tapped Pristine Angel),
and you Scry into a Fireball and a Shrapnel Blast. You can Scry them both to
the bottom of the library, then activate your Slogger, targetting the Angel.
This will kill the Angel, and next turn, you're set up to draw into your
Fireball or Shrap Blast for some more much-needed damage to your opponent's
dome. I've seen this play quite a few times, although I've never managed to
set this up myself. It's entirely situational, but losing 10 cards in the
early game isn't as much a problem as you'd expect. Usually. ;)

--

KB

peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Grognard <grognard@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message news:<cfqs6o$l50$1@pcls4.std.com>...
> I've seen Arc-Slogger turn up in a number of decks, but I can't figure out
> why. It seems to have an awfully big drawback for a small effect. What
> am I missing?
>
> Arc-Slogger
> {3}{R}{R}
> Creature -- Beast
> 4/5
> {R}, Remove the top ten cards of your library from the game: Arc-Slogger
> deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Two things:
- It's a (generally) uncounterable Shock. Sure, somebody could
Stifle it, or drop an Arrest on it, but normally you'd get to deal the
damage without worrying about untapped Islands.
- It's extra burn. I was playing a burn deck just last night where I
had the guy down to 6, was out of cards, and he beat me to death with
a Pristine Angel. I easily had 30 cards in my deck, and could have
finished him off with a handy Arc-Slogger. So, in a sense, in a
twelve turn game, the card says "Your opponent begins the game with 14
life."

Speaking of which, I completely blew the game because I hammered a 4/4
of his with 2 Volcanic Hammers (he was at 10 at the time). If I had
thrown those at his head, he'd have been dead. I then proceeded to
throw not one, but TWO Volcanic Eruptions at the Angel. But I was
tired and not thinking well...
Peter

peter

> [...]

> deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Two things:
- It's a (generally) uncounterable Shock. Sure, somebody could
Stifle it, or drop an Arrest on it, but normally you'd get to deal the
damage without worrying about untapped Islands.
- It's extra burn. I was playing a burn deck just last night where I
had the guy down to 6, was out of cards, and he beat me to death with
a Pristine Angel. I easily had 30 cards in my deck, and could have
finished him off with a handy Arc-Slogger. So, in a sense, in a
twelve turn game, the card says "Your opponent begins the game with 14
life."

Speaking of which, I completely blew the game because I hammered a 4/4
of his with 2 Volcanic Hammers (he was at 10 at the time). If I had
thrown those at his head, he'd have been dead. I then proceeded to
throw not one, but TWO Volcanic Eruptions at the Angel, which he
quickly untapped with a lame-o instant. But I was tired and not
thinking well...
Peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Grognard <grognard@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message news:<cfqs6o$l50$1@pcls4.std.com>...
> I've seen Arc-Slogger turn up in a number of decks, but I can't figure out
> why. It seems to have an awfully big drawback for a small effect. What
> am I missing?
>
> Arc-Slogger
> {3}{R}{R}
> Creature -- Beast
> 4/5
> {R}, Remove the top ten cards of your library from the game: Arc-Slogger
> deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
>
> Allen

In addition to what's already been said, it's a 4/5 Beast for five
mana. That's already pretty good for red. His ability is _in addition
to_ a fairly efficient creature.

As for the ability? It is good for exactly the same reason that
Millstone is bad.

--
Justin

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I've also seen many occasions after a long game when you've got your
opponent down to say 8-10 life and you've still got good burn in your
deck... the Arc-Slogger's ability might be just what you need to change the
balance of the game.... dmg or even a triggered ability played at the right
time can make all the difference
"Justin Sexton" <jsextonproductions@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Grognard <grognard@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen Arc-Slogger turn up in a number of decks, but I can't figure
>> out
>> why. It seems to have an awfully big drawback for a small effect. What
>> am I missing?
>>
>> Arc-Slogger
>> {3}{R}{R}
>> Creature -- Beast
>> 4/5
>> {R}, Remove the top ten cards of your library from the game: Arc-Slogger
>> deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
>>
>> Allen
>
> In addition to what's already been said, it's a 4/5 Beast for five
> mana. That's already pretty good for red. His ability is _in addition
> to_ a fairly efficient creature.
>
> As for the ability? It is good for exactly the same reason that
> Millstone is bad.
>
> --
> Justin

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Lastly, to all that's already been said, with a few exceptions the
cards in your library don't matter. They have no effect on the
current game state and can not be (again with a few exceptions)
utilized to win the game.

Sean H.