Need ideas for an Apocalypse Deck

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Apocalypse (Tempest Rare)
2RRR
Sorcery
Remove all permanents from the game. Discard your hand.

I want to run 3-4 copies in a deck, but need some ideas. I have it in a
fast, weenie-type of deck, but would like to get something more fitting for
it. I can recover quicker than my opponents most of the time. I have some
trouble with mana, since I have to discard my hand and opponents get to keep
theirs.

I could run mono-red with Worldgorger Dragon, Petradon & Petravark. The
dragon would be the best, but I would have to cast both the dragon and
apocalypse on the same turn. Having trouble with consistency with mana to
be effective. Petradon & Petravark would not give much advantage after
apocalypse.

I could add blue for Parallax Tide(I would have to wait to draw into
something to get going again) and for Wormfang creatures.

Or I could add white for Parallax Wave. I think this is the best option I
have thought of so far. If I could get some big creatures out (with
evasion?), it would be harder for my opponent to find an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.
~Ryan
5 answers Last reply
More about need ideas apocalypse deck
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Griffyn 16 <rlcarper31@mchsi.com> wrote:
    > Apocalypse (Tempest Rare)
    > 2RRR
    > Sorcery
    > Remove all permanents from the game. Discard your hand.

    > I want to run 3-4 copies in a deck, but need some ideas. I have it in a
    > fast, weenie-type of deck, but would like to get something more fitting for
    > it. I can recover quicker than my opponents most of the time. I have some
    > trouble with mana, since I have to discard my hand and opponents get to keep
    > theirs.

    > I could run mono-red with Worldgorger Dragon, Petradon & Petravark. The
    > dragon would be the best, but I would have to cast both the dragon and
    > apocalypse on the same turn. Having trouble with consistency with mana to
    > be effective. Petradon & Petravark would not give much advantage after
    > apocalypse.

    > I could add blue for Parallax Tide(I would have to wait to draw into
    > something to get going again) and for Wormfang creatures.

    > Or I could add white for Parallax Wave. I think this is the best option I
    > have thought of so far. If I could get some big creatures out (with
    > evasion?), it would be harder for my opponent to find an answer.

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > ~Ryan

    Well, I had an Apocalypse deck of sorts for a little while, quite some
    time ago... (I say 'of sorts' because I only own two copies of Apocalypse
    myself.) Basically, it was a mono-red deck with primarily cheap burn
    spells and the occasional not-too-expensive creature with haste, the
    idea being to put my opponent on the defensive early, deal a goodly chunk
    of damage, and then play Apocalypse (ideally on an empty or near-empty
    hand) to clear the field and start over.

    Not terribly original, I'll admit, but I had some fun with it. :)

    Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
    ==
    #include <disclaimer.h>
    #include <fancysig.h>
    spam > /dev/null
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    That's a nifty idea. I'd go with Faceless Butcher, target your own
    guy, Apocalypse, then beat down with the guy you removed.

    If you're lucky.

    Another nifty thing would be Astral Slide. You could slide out a
    couple of dudes, preferably morphed fatties. Then at the end of your
    turn, they'd pop back into play, ready to kick your opponent's butt
    next turn.

    I'm not sure that would work, as the Slide would disappear too, but I
    think the delayed effect would return the guys no matter what.

    Anurid Brushhopper can disappear then reappear without help.

    Day of the Dragons removes all creatures from the game and replaces
    with 5/5 flying Dragons. Of course, that might be enough without the
    Apocalypse. BUT, if you Apocalypse, it goes away, you sac all dragons
    (which probably went away anyway) and you get all your removed
    creatures back.

    Liberate is like a one-shot Astral Slide.

    If you cast Apocalypse, sac Memory Jar, remove THAT hand from the
    game, then you'll get your old hand back at the end of the turn.

    Suppress allows you to "slide" your whole hand. That's not bad.

    Any of the Wurmfang creatures would help. Newt and Turtle remove
    lands, Drake removes a creature and Behemoth takes your whole hand.

    Mind's Desire allows you to sit cards aside, then play them for free,
    bu-u-ut you'd have to cast some spells, then cast it, THEN cast
    Apocalypse... unless you knew Apocalypse would be in the removed set
    of spells.

    So... that's some stuff. Me, I'd go with either a standard Rift/Slide
    deck with Apocalypses and surprise-morphing fatties,
    or with the Wurmfangs, Faceless Butcher and Supress.

    And remember (I'm not pimping anybody), if you don't have a particular
    card that would make your deck sing, you can generally order them
    online. I do that all the time, "build" a deck, test it with proxies,
    then order the cards I need to complete it. So don't be afraid of
    oddball cards.

    Peter

    "Griffyn 16" <rlcarper31@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<WwjUc.329488$XM6.205527@attbi_s53>...
    > Apocalypse (Tempest Rare)
    > 2RRR
    > Sorcery
    > Remove all permanents from the game. Discard your hand.
    >
    > I could run mono-red with Worldgorger Dragon, Petradon & Petravark. The
    > dragon would be the best, but I would have to cast both the dragon and
    > apocalypse on the same turn. Having trouble with consistency with mana to
    > be effective. Petradon & Petravark would not give much advantage after
    > apocalypse.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    On 17 Aug 2004 12:32:59 -0700, Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Another nifty thing would be Astral Slide. You could slide out a
    >couple of dudes, preferably morphed fatties. Then at the end of your
    >turn, they'd pop back into play, ready to kick your opponent's butt
    >next turn.
    >
    >I'm not sure that would work, as the Slide would disappear too, but I
    >think the delayed effect would return the guys no matter what.

    Yes; the Slide's triggered ability creates a delayed triggered ability when
    resolving, and that delayed triggered ability hangs around, in no particular
    place, waiting to trigger the next time an end-of-turn step starts.

    The guys won't come back if a) the game ends before the next time a turn ends
    or b) the delayed triggered ability has each of its instances Stifled after
    they trigger.

    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    what abouth days of the dragon, then you get your mosters back
    "Peter" <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > That's a nifty idea. I'd go with Faceless Butcher, target your own
    > guy, Apocalypse,
    then beat down with the guy you removed.

    > If you're lucky.
    >
    > Another nifty thing would be Astral Slide. You could slide out a
    > couple of dudes, preferably morphed fatties. Then at the end of your
    > turn, they'd pop back into play, ready to kick your opponent's butt
    > next turn.
    >
    > I'm not sure that would work, as the Slide would disappear too, but I
    > think the delayed effect would return the guys no matter what.
    >
    > Anurid Brushhopper can disappear then reappear without help.
    >
    > Day of the Dragons removes all creatures from the game and replaces
    > with 5/5 flying Dragons. Of course, that might be enough without the
    > Apocalypse. BUT, if you Apocalypse, it goes away, you sac all dragons
    > (which probably went away anyway) and you get all your removed
    > creatures back.
    >
    > Liberate is like a one-shot Astral Slide.
    >
    > If you cast Apocalypse, sac Memory Jar, remove THAT hand from the
    > game, then you'll get your old hand back at the end of the turn.
    >
    > Suppress allows you to "slide" your whole hand. That's not bad.
    >
    > Any of the Wurmfang creatures would help. Newt and Turtle remove
    > lands, Drake removes a creature and Behemoth takes your whole hand.
    >
    > Mind's Desire allows you to sit cards aside, then play them for free,
    > bu-u-ut you'd have to cast some spells, then cast it, THEN cast
    > Apocalypse... unless you knew Apocalypse would be in the removed set
    > of spells.
    >
    > So... that's some stuff. Me, I'd go with either a standard Rift/Slide
    > deck with Apocalypses and surprise-morphing fatties,
    > or with the Wurmfangs, Faceless Butcher and Supress.
    >
    > And remember (I'm not pimping anybody), if you don't have a particular
    > card that would make your deck sing, you can generally order them
    > online. I do that all the time, "build" a deck, test it with proxies,
    > then order the cards I need to complete it. So don't be afraid of
    > oddball cards.
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Griffyn 16" <rlcarper31@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > > Apocalypse (Tempest Rare)
    > > 2RRR
    > > Sorcery
    > > Remove all permanents from the game. Discard your hand.
    > >
    > > I could run mono-red with Worldgorger Dragon, Petradon & Petravark. The
    > > dragon would be the best, but I would have to cast both the dragon and
    > > apocalypse on the same turn. Having trouble with consistency with mana
    > > be effective. Petradon & Petravark would not give much advantage after
    > > apocalypse.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Griffyn 16" <rlcarper31@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<WwjUc.329488$XM6.205527@attbi_s53>...
    > Apocalypse (Tempest Rare)
    > 2RRR
    > Sorcery
    > Remove all permanents from the game. Discard your hand.

    <snipping deck ideas for space>

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > ~Ryan

    Ah... Back in the good old days of Tempest. Since you obviously
    aren't running a type II deck, one other thing you might want to
    consider is stuff with phasing--if you can stand the headaches, that
    is. I used to run a deck with this idea in mind. Basically, cast
    your phasers such that they are phasing out on the same upkeep, then
    cast apocalypse. It was only a casual deck, but it was fun!

    Some ideas:
    Teferi's Isle (for mana)
    Merfolk Raiders
    Teferi's Drake
    Reality Ripple (phases out anything)
    Sandbar Crocodile
    Frenetic Efreet
    Mist Dragon
    Shimmer (all your lands gain phasing)
    Teferi's Imp

    .... and I'm sure you get the idea. Another idea is to run stuff that
    you can recur from the graveyard--like hammer of bohgarden. (Yeah, I
    mispelled that.)

    Scott

Games Video Games