New to Magic

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello,
I'm new to magic, also i play only online can any of you give me tips on
how to build a good deck.
1 answer Last reply
More about magic
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Chris Page" <cap1384@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'm new to magic, also i play only online can any of you give me tips
    on
    > how to build a good deck.

    Clayton gave you some important rules to follow while building decks. Land
    ratio is one of the most important, and most people starting out do not put
    enough land in their deck. I was one of them. But don't just play a deck
    one time and then change something. You will learn what you need to adjust
    in your deck the more you play it.

    Try to keep a good mana curve in your deck (being able to use as much mana
    as possible, each turn). If you have all cheap creatures and
    spells(artifacts, enchantments, instants or soceries), you will need less
    land. If you have expensive creatures and spells, you will need more land.
    Do not build a deck will all expensive spells. Just because they are big
    creatures or a spell with a big effect does not mean anything if you are
    dead before you can play them. Use cards with different converted mana cost
    (total cost of color and colorless to cast). You will want to have more 1
    and 2 costed card, this will help with being able to cast something on your
    first couple of turns. Cards with mana costs of 5 or higher are a little
    harder to play, so don't put more in your deck than you will be able to
    cast. Learning the mana curve that works best for your style of play will
    come with more experience.

    Have fun with your decks!! Play as many different types of decks as
    possible. There are thousands of possibilities out there for making a deck.
    Don't get stuck playing the same deck all the time.

    Build decks with a theme and with a focus. Have a goal set for the decks
    that you make! It might be as simple as defeat your opponent. You could
    also build decks that do not win, that just do something fun but are not
    expected to win. Try building a deck around one card. Pick an interesting
    card, and put other cards in with it to compliment that card. But always
    keep the focus on that card! Use different color combinations, try just one
    or up to all five in one deck. You will find out what you like to play by
    doing this. You will also have fun in the process.

    Putting 4 copies of a card in your deck, and keeping it at 60 cards, will
    help it be more consistent. You will be able to achieve your deck's goal
    the more consistent you are, or at least determine what you need work on in
    the deck. Do not get frustrated if a deck does not do what you want it to
    do. Maybe your opponents deck was just the perfect counter-deck.

    Hope this helped a little bit. Have fun playing Magic!
    ~Ryan

Games Build Video Games