Just got back into Magic: Question (Multiplayer deck)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi. I just got back into Magic and have an idea about a multiplayer
'fromage' deck I'd like to try for tomorow night's game.

But before spending any $ on specific cards, could someone here tell
me if it would work, please? Thnx in advance.

The deck would revolve around:

4 Rite of passage
4 Urza's armor
4 Pestilence

1) While the armor is out, will it prevent each and every pestilence
damage?

2) If I have a 2/2 creature in play and pestilence of 3, they won't
die, right, since the counters come into effect each time a pestilence
damage is dealt?

Anywhow, *if* this works, what other cards should be in the deck?

I was thinking only/mostly black cards (to save mana for pestilence) +
artefacts like:

4 Dark Banishing

2-3 Chalice of the Void (with 2 counters on it to prevent disenchant,
counterspell and shatter I guess)

Drudge skeletons or something similar to stop anything non-flying
coming my way early in the game

4 Slagwurm Armors for defense early in the game.
And lots of 2/2+ creatures, preferably with Fear.

Maybe some Joiner Adepts? (and if so, if I tap 1 or more forests for
the added black mana/pestilence, will the mana-burn be prevented by
the Urza's Armor?)

Anyhow... any other cards or something I didn't think about?

Thnx.

On 27 Aug 2004 06:07:31 -0700, Ritalin-Kid <Jester_Dee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>But before spending any $ on specific cards, could someone here tell
>me if it would work, please? Thnx in advance.

Rules questions generally go on .rules ...

>4 Rite of passage
>4 Urza's armor
>4 Pestilence
>
>1) While the armor is out, will it prevent each and every pestilence
>damage?

To you, yes. Pestilence deals 1 (mass) damage at a time, and Urza's Armor
will prevent the 1 damage to you that's part of that.

>2) If I have a 2/2 creature in play and pestilence of 3, they won't
>die, right, since the counters come into effect each time a pestilence
>damage is dealt?

Depends. If you -wait for the +1/+1 counter to appear- before using the
Pestilence again, the 2/2 will be fine. If you stack the Pestilence uses
among the Rite triggered abilities so that the creature gets 2 damage before
it has any +1/+1 counters, or gets three damage before it has more than one
counter, the creature will die.

>Maybe some Joiner Adepts? (and if so, if I tap 1 or more forests for
>the added black mana/pestilence, will the mana-burn be prevented by
>the Urza's Armor?)

Manaburn is loss of life. It is not damage in any way, and can't be "prevented"
by anything.

Dave