Problems with SP2

Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
install SP2 (all other attempts corrupted the computer).

So, after removing the trackball, printer, etc. (so it was back to all
original equipment):

1) Complete disk recovery (including formatting) to return to only
factory programs and factory settings.

2) Deleted Weatherbug and Softex software using "add/remove programs"
(I know from experience that these will crash a Windows Update).

3) Used the set-up wizard for my dial-up.

4) Went to Windows Update and downloaded and installed the DirectX
update.

5) Went to HP website and downloaded and installed all hardware and
software updates.

6) Went to Windows Update and downloaded and installed all available
updates.

7) Repeated #6 (the first time through, it located 20 critical
updates, this time it located 9 more).

8) Checked that there are no BIOS updates.

9) Went to HP website and found no other updates (just double
checking).

10) Went to Window Update, checked and found no more updates.

11) Downloaded and installed SP2.

12) Used Windows Update to download and install another 6 updates that
weren't there before.

13) Checked Windows Update -- nothing new there.

Now up to this point, the _only_ things that I changed were deleting
two programs and setting up the dial-up -- _everything_ else was at
factory settings and as the updates changed it, and I had not opened
any e-mail or visited any site except HP and MS.

Problems:

A) I installed my word processor from the original CD. It seemed to
work fine until I ran the spell-check -- it ran, but crashed the
program when I tried to return to the document.

I tired every possible setting in the 'program compatibility wizard',
but they all had the same effect: the program will run fine until I do
a spell-check, at which time the program crashes (doing it _before_
the spell-check runs, while it crashes it _after_ when running
straight XP).

B) I installed my CAD program from the original CD. It seemed to work
fine until I went into 3-D mode. It imediately crashed the program.

Again, the 'program compatibility wizard' didn't help.

C) I installed my graphics program from the original CD. It seemed to
work fine until I went into the 'save file', at which time it crashed
(but it had been doing timed backups fine).

Again, the 'program compatibility wizard' didn't help.

NONE of these programs have any internet functions except a link to
their websites in the 'about' window (and the phone line is
disconnected whenever I'm not using it).

ALSO --

D) When the computer hibernates, the only way to get it out is to
unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in.

E) At boot, it has the 'password' window. I just hit 'enter', and it
goes away. I went into 'user accounts' in the 'control panel', set it
to use the welcome screen, and deleted a user account "ASD$$$" which
had come from nowhere.

At each reboot, it still wants a password, although one was never
entered, and no setting in 'user accounts' changes that.

F) .NET passport doesn't work, so I can't contact MS for tech support.

I've done the complete format drive to installing SP2 four times since
Tuesday (with slight variations in when I install the hardware updates
and optional updates from MS, and once from my original disks rather
than the recovery partition on the hard drive), and the results are
always exactly the same.

WHY?

Any help greatly appreciated!
23 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Hello wildepad,
    Sounds like you went by the book on this one. This may sound dumb
    but did you check ?Microsoft for the min, system requirments? Do you have
    enough RAM for XP, SP2, and, your programs? Hey it is a start. Users like
    you make it so much easier to trouble shoot. Best of luck to you'
    Ron J

    "Wildepad" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > ALSO --
    >
    > D) When the computer hibernates, the only way to get it out is to
    > unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in.
    >
    > E) At boot, it has the 'password' window. I just hit 'enter', and it
    > goes away. I went into 'user accounts' in the 'control panel', set it
    > to use the welcome screen, and deleted a user account "ASD$$$" which
    > had come from nowhere.
    >
    > At each reboot, it still wants a password, although one was never
    > entered, and no setting in 'user accounts' changes that.
    >
    > F) .NET passport doesn't work, so I can't contact MS for tech support.
    >

    > I've done the complete format drive to installing SP2 four times since
    > Tuesday (with slight variations in when I install the hardware updates
    > and optional updates from MS, and once from my original disks rather
    > than the recovery partition on the hard drive), and the results are

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:45:03 -0800, "Ron J"
    <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hello wildepad,
    > Sounds like you went by the book on this one. This may sound dumb
    >but did you check ?Microsoft for the min, system requirments? Do you have
    >enough RAM for XP, SP2, and, your programs? Hey it is a start. Users like
    >you make it so much easier to trouble shoot. Best of luck to you'
    > Ron J

    Yeah, I did that :) (it's often so easy to bungle the small stuff,
    which is what I figured I did here, but I did check that)

    The odd thing is that the major program problems all crop up when
    changing functions, times when the programs have to change the entire
    screen/window.

> [...]
    >>
    >> ALSO --
    >>
    >> D) When the computer hibernates, the only way to get it out is to
    >> unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in.
    >>
    >> E) At boot, it has the 'password' window. I just hit 'enter', and it
    >> goes away. I went into 'user accounts' in the 'control panel', set it
    >> to use the welcome screen, and deleted a user account "ASD$$$" which
    >> had come from nowhere.
    >>
    >> At each reboot, it still wants a password, although one was never
    >> entered, and no setting in 'user accounts' changes that.
    >>
    >> F) .NET passport doesn't work, so I can't contact MS for tech support.
    >>

    >> I've done the complete format drive to installing SP2 four times since
    >> Tuesday (with slight variations in when I install the hardware updates
    >> and optional updates from MS, and once from my original disks rather
    >> than the recovery partition on the hard drive), and the results are

    True, wildepad said it ['in B/W' in par 1] -
    " Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"

    Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps 1-5
    [Current Sense].
    (something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to do
    a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)

    --

    johnf

> [...]
    >>
    >> ALSO --
    >>
    >> D) When the computer hibernates, the only way to get it out is to
    >> unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in.
    >>
    >> E) At boot, it has the 'password' window. I just hit 'enter', and it
    >> goes away. I went into 'user accounts' in the 'control panel', set it
    >> to use the welcome screen, and deleted a user account "ASD$$$" which
    >> had come from nowhere.
    >>
    >> At each reboot, it still wants a password, although one was never
    >> entered, and no setting in 'user accounts' changes that.
    >>
    >> F) .NET passport doesn't work, so I can't contact MS for tech support.
    >>

    >> I've done the complete format drive to installing SP2 four times since
    >> Tuesday (with slight variations in when I install the hardware updates
    >> and optional updates from MS, and once from my original disks rather
    >> than the recovery partition on the hard drive), and the results are

    Hello Wild,
    I read your steps at least 12 times. The things you describe all point to
    spy\malware. I don't know how or where but it is the only thing that makes
    sense.
    Maybe some sort of code has ben placed in an update from HP or MS
    ..Microsoft will love me for that one. There is an epidemic of update problems
    now. i recieve e-mail from ITTool Box>windows XP Pro groups. These guys are
    not rookies and most of them know security like you know your way home from
    work. I installed 5 sets of sP2 yesterday with no trouble what so ever.
    Wild I have an idea, there is one thing you might try different. Install
    and go only to MS Update site. Don't go to HP or anywhere else. Havew you
    been getting the bits transfer OK? It is the very first update after you
    install.Thats how I do it but I work with software very different from yours.
    You could be having a hardware issue with XP or SP2. The great thing is your
    machine is still in good shape by now 50% of the users would have torn
    everything up so bad it is not worth it to try and help. Hang in there wild.
    Oh I almost forgot...... what dial-up provider are you using? When I used
    dial-up it was an 24 hour fight with spyware. Maybe if we started keeping
    a list of who is having problems\ the net. connect they use etc. we can stop
    some of this The bad guys don't want the good guys patched up. They loose!
    Ron J

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:53:45 +1100, "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a>
    wrote:

    >True, wildepad said it ['in B/W' in par 1] -
    >" Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    >install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"
    >
    >Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    >problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps 1-5
    >[Current Sense].
    >(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to do
    >a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)

    I install and remove software quite often, which leads to left-behind
    files, stray registry entries, etc. which no clean-up is going to
    completely eradicate.

    When I tried to install SP2 before, I just let the automatic updates
    handle it. It corrupted the computer beyond hope. I tried again by
    doing a complete system restore, installing all the updates except for
    SP2, installing and checking out all my apps, and then installing SP2.
    It again corrupted the computer beyond all hope.

    Since no one (not HP, MS, or anyone in this group) could/would lend
    assistance, in the interest of getting back to using the computer
    instead of fighting it, I simply did another complete system recovery
    and installed the normal updates and my apps, leaving SP2 for some
    later date.

    That later date is now, so I tried a different approach -- from
    absolutely clean slate, I installed SP2 _before_ installing any apps.

    If you are capable of being helpful, perhaps you would like to point
    out which step in the process was wrong . . .

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:33:02 -0800, "Ron J"
    <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hello Wild,
    > I read your steps at least 12 times. The things you describe all point to
    >spy\malware. I don't know how or where but it is the only thing that makes
    >sense.

    That's one reason I waited until I had a few days free to tackle this
    -- I suspected something on the computer that neither my virus scans
    nor spyware scans (I use three of each) were detecting, so thought it
    would be best if I started with a clean slate.

    > Maybe some sort of code has ben placed in an update from HP or MS
    >.Microsoft will love me for that one. There is an epidemic of update problems
    >now. i recieve e-mail from ITTool Box>windows XP Pro groups. These guys are
    >not rookies and most of them know security like you know your way home from
    >work. I installed 5 sets of sP2 yesterday with no trouble what so ever.
    > Wild I have an idea, there is one thing you might try different. Install
    >and go only to MS Update site. Don't go to HP or anywhere else.

    I did that during three of the four attempts since I had downloaded
    the updates from the HP website and put them on a CD (to save myself
    download time in the future). But I have to install those updates
    before the computer will work under SP2 (the keyboard isn't
    recognized, etc.).

    Last night, for lack of anything logical to do, I downloaded the
    updates again and checked them against what I had on CD (in case my
    copies were corrupted), but they're exact matches.

    Malicious code would have to be in the updates themselves, which I
    discount because I think that if someone went to the trouble to hack
    that deep, the problems would be obvious and immediate.

    > Havew you
    >been getting the bits transfer OK? It is the very first update after you
    >install.Thats how I do it but I work with software very different from yours.

    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I never pay attention to what it's
    downloading and installing -- I trust the Windows Update is picking
    and choosing correctly (even installing updates for Outlook which I
    never use).

    I just click to install all updates, and sit back and read a book
    until there's a screen that says the updates have been successfully
    installed. To be honest, while I was a fair programmer in my day, my
    day was pre-Windows, and I don't understand most of what it's doing.

    >You could be having a hardware issue with XP or SP2. The great thing is your
    >machine is still in good shape by now 50% of the users would have torn
    >everything up so bad it is not worth it to try and help.

    My way of tearing things up is to start over from scratch,
    reformatting drive C: and following the list again but doing some
    little things differently (for example, installing DirectX first, then
    the hardware updates one time, installing the hardware updates before
    the DirectX the next time, etc.)

    >Hang in there wild.

    Actually, I've given up. I have to get the computer running today, so
    did a complete system recovery and installed my apps. I'm just
    checking in here to see if someone had a revelation before I do the
    Windows Update again, without installing SP2.

    >Oh I almost forgot...... what dial-up provider are you using? When I used
    >dial-up it was an 24 hour fight with spyware. Maybe if we started keeping
    >a list of who is having problems\ the net. connect they use etc. we can stop
    >some of this The bad guys don't want the good guys patched up. They loose!

    I'm on newsguy right now, but I had many similar problems when I tried
    several months ago to install SP2 (I thought this time might be
    different because I was installing SP2, on a totally clean machine,
    _before_ installing my apps), and I had a different ISP then.

    I think that it's time to just concede that SP2 won't run on this
    hardware.

    Thanks many times over for your time and efforts!!

    >> > Hello wildepad,
    >> > Sounds like you went by the book on this one. This may sound dumb
    >> > but did you check ?Microsoft for the min, system requirments? Do you
    >> > have enough RAM for XP, SP2, and, your programs? Hey it is a start.
    >> > Users like you make it so much easier to trouble shoot. Best of luck
    >> > to you' Ron J

    Excuse me, wild but I thought I was helping you. Sometimes there are no
    quick fixes. I don't know what you are doing wrong. I had been trying to
    figure it out You say no clean up can clean up your disc? How bad is it? Have
    you used defrag ? Not clean up, defrag. I am sorry you felt no one helped
    you. Good luck.

    "Wildepad" wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:53:45 +1100, "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a>
    > wrote:
    > > >True, wildepad said it ['in B/W' in par 1] -
    > >" Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    > >install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"
    > >
    > >Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    > >problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps 1-5
    > >[Current Sense].
    > >(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to do
    > >a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)
    >
    > I install and remove software quite often, which leads to left-behind
    > files, stray registry entries, etc. which no clean-up is going to
    > completely eradicate.
    >
    > When I tried to install SP2 before, I just let the automatic updates
    > handle it. It corrupted the computer beyond hope. I tried again by
    > doing a complete system restore, installing all the updates except for
    > SP2, installing and checking out all my apps, and then installing SP2.
    > It again corrupted the computer beyond all hope.
    >
    > Since no one (not HP, MS, or anyone in this group) could/would lend
    > assistance, in the interest of getting back to using the computer
    > instead of fighting it, I simply did another complete system recovery
    > and installed the normal updates and my apps, leaving SP2 for some
    > later date.
    >
    > That later date is now, so I tried a different approach -- from
    > absolutely clean slate, I installed SP2 _before_ installing any apps.
    >

    > If you are capable of being helpful, perhaps you would like to point
    > out which step in the process was wrong . . .

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:35:01 -0800, "Ron J"
    <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Excuse me, wild but I thought I was helping you. Sometimes there are no
    >quick fixes. I don't know what you are doing wrong. I had been trying to
    >figure it out You say no clean up can clean up your disc? How bad is it? Have
    >you used defrag ? Not clean up, defrag. I am sorry you felt no one helped
    >you. Good luck.

    That response was to "johnf", not to you -- you've been great.

    As far as clean up and defrag -- I'll often use them, set a restore
    point, and read how many bytes are on the hard disk before I install a
    program. After using the program for a short while (usually 2-3
    hours), I'll uninstall it, manually delete any folders it leaves
    behind, run clean up and defrag, and run the restore point. Sometimes
    there is still more on the disk that I started with. I know it ain't
    supposed to be that way, but it occasionally is.

    You multiply that by an average of five programs a week for several
    months, and any system is going to have extraneous stuff lurking in
    various niches.

    I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding about who I was responding
    too -- it was "johnf" who was making snide remarks instead of trying
    to help.

    You, on the other hand, were as helpful as possible, and I do
    appreciate it.

    Thanks again!

    >"Wildepad" wrote:

    >> >" Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    >> >install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"
    >> >
    >> >Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    >> >problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps 1-5
    >> >[Current Sense].
    >> >(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to do
    >> >a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)
    >>
    >> I install and remove software quite often, which leads to left-behind
    >> files, stray registry entries, etc. which no clean-up is going to
    >> completely eradicate.
    >>
    >> When I tried to install SP2 before, I just let the automatic updates
    >> handle it. It corrupted the computer beyond hope. I tried again by
    >> doing a complete system restore, installing all the updates except for
    >> SP2, installing and checking out all my apps, and then installing SP2.
    >> It again corrupted the computer beyond all hope.
    >>
    >> Since no one (not HP, MS, or anyone in this group) could/would lend
    >> assistance, in the interest of getting back to using the computer
    >> instead of fighting it, I simply did another complete system recovery
    >> and installed the normal updates and my apps, leaving SP2 for some
    >> later date.
    >>
    >> That later date is now, so I tried a different approach -- from
    >> absolutely clean slate, I installed SP2 _before_ installing any apps.
    >>

    >> If you are capable of being helpful, perhaps you would like to point
    >> out which step in the process was wrong . . .

    Ron

    Try not to take it to heart.. not all people are ungrateful..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Excuse me, wild but I thought I was helping you. Sometimes there are no
    > quick fixes. I don't know what you are doing wrong. I had been trying to
    > figure it out You say no clean up can clean up your disc? How bad is it?
    > Have
    > you used defrag ? Not clean up, defrag. I am sorry you felt no one
    > helped
    > you. Good luck.
    >
    > "Wildepad" wrote:

    >> >" Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    >> >install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"
    >> >
    >> >Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    >> >problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps
    >> >1-5
    >> >[Current Sense].
    >> >(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how
    >> >to do
    >> >a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)
    >>
    >> I install and remove software quite often, which leads to left-behind
    >> files, stray registry entries, etc. which no clean-up is going to
    >> completely eradicate.
    >>
    >> When I tried to install SP2 before, I just let the automatic updates
    >> handle it. It corrupted the computer beyond hope. I tried again by
    >> doing a complete system restore, installing all the updates except for
    >> SP2, installing and checking out all my apps, and then installing SP2.
    >> It again corrupted the computer beyond all hope.
    >>
    >> Since no one (not HP, MS, or anyone in this group) could/would lend
    >> assistance, in the interest of getting back to using the computer
    >> instead of fighting it, I simply did another complete system recovery
    >> and installed the normal updates and my apps, leaving SP2 for some
    >> later date.
    >>
    >> That later date is now, so I tried a different approach -- from
    >> absolutely clean slate, I installed SP2 _before_ installing any apps.
    >>

    >> If you are capable of being helpful, perhaps you would like to point
    >> out which step in the process was wrong . . .

    Wild

    If you want to be careless about what you do with a machine 'in production',
    then that is your call.. but when somebody tries to help you out of the mess
    for which YOU are responsible, at least show courtesy and respect..

    Re. your problem.. some makes of computer require patches available from the
    manufacturer before SP2 can be installed.. regardless of any previous
    contact you have had with HP, try them again for a patch..

    Then go to this website.. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm ..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Wildepad" <wildepad@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:53:45 +1100, "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>True, wildepad said it ['in B/W' in par 1] -
    >>" Since it was time for a good disk cleaning, I figured I might as well
    >>install SP2 - "all other attempts [Past tense] corrupted the computer"
    >>
    >>Surely back then that would have been a warning signal that there was a
    >>problem in the OS somewhere, rather than waffling on later with steps 1-5
    >>[Current Sense].
    >>(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to
    >>do
    >>a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)
    >
    > I install and remove software quite often, which leads to left-behind
    > files, stray registry entries, etc. which no clean-up is going to
    > completely eradicate.
    >
    > When I tried to install SP2 before, I just let the automatic updates
    > handle it. It corrupted the computer beyond hope. I tried again by
    > doing a complete system restore, installing all the updates except for
    > SP2, installing and checking out all my apps, and then installing SP2.
    > It again corrupted the computer beyond all hope.
    >
    > Since no one (not HP, MS, or anyone in this group) could/would lend
    > assistance, in the interest of getting back to using the computer
    > instead of fighting it, I simply did another complete system recovery
    > and installed the normal updates and my apps, leaving SP2 for some
    > later date.
    >
    > That later date is now, so I tried a different approach -- from
    > absolutely clean slate, I installed SP2 _before_ installing any apps.
    >

    > If you are capable of being helpful, perhaps you would like to point
    > out which step in the process was wrong . . .

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:05:17 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Wild
    >
    >If you want to be careless about what you do with a machine 'in production',
    >then that is your call..

    Careless? I've installed the updates from HP and MS according to the
    best available information from each on how to install updates, and
    the computer doesn't work -- what's 'careless' about that?

    >but when somebody tries to help you out of the mess
    >for which YOU are responsible, at least show courtesy and respect..

    Somehow the wires got crossed -- if you look at the thread, I
    responded appropriately to the snide remarks of "johnf", and I
    expressed appreciation to "Ron J" because, although there doesn't seem
    to be a cure, he at least suggested some things and tried to help.

    >Re. your problem.. some makes of computer require patches available from the
    >manufacturer before SP2 can be installed.. regardless of any previous
    >contact you have had with HP, try them again for a patch..

    There are several such updates, and I installed them (as noted in the
    original post: points 5 and 9).

    >Then go to this website.. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm ..

    Except for the things that were unnecessary because I did a complete
    system restore (format drive C: and return to factory installation), I
    did all of that. in that order, except that I am forced by necessity
    to download and install the SP2 through Windows Update.

    I found four such checklists, some more complete than that
    (specifically saying the order to install software and hardware
    updates), and tried them all (I did a complete system recovery each
    time, so absolutely nothing could carry through from one to the next).

    Still no joy, and I have deadlines to meet, so can't play with it
    anymore. I'll just have to live without SP2 until someone comes up
    with a version that actually works on all HP computers that come with
    WinXP (yeah, like that's going to happen).

    Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the misunderstanding about who
    I replied to re: "johnf" and "Ron J".
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:54:09 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Ron
    >
    >Try not to take it to heart.. not all people are ungrateful..

    If you look at the thread, I was grateful to "Ron J" -- it was "johnf"
    that I responded to as his post warranted.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    What exctly do you mean by "changing functions"?
    Does that fall somehere between 1)-13), or (A) - (F)?

    --

    johnf

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> ALSO --
    >>>
    >>> D) When the computer hibernates, the only way to get it out is to
    >>> unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in.
    >>>
    >>> E) At boot, it has the 'password' window. I just hit 'enter', and it
    >>> goes away. I went into 'user accounts' in the 'control panel', set it
    >>> to use the welcome screen, and deleted a user account "ASD$$$" which
    >>> had come from nowhere.
    >>>
    >>> At each reboot, it still wants a password, although one was never
    >>> entered, and no setting in 'user accounts' changes that.
    >>>
    >>> F) .NET passport doesn't work, so I can't contact MS for tech support.
    >>>

    >>> I've done the complete format drive to installing SP2 four times since
    >>> Tuesday (with slight variations in when I install the hardware updates
    >>> and optional updates from MS, and once from my original disks rather
    >>> than the recovery partition on the hard drive), and the results are

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:24:29 +1100, "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a>
    wrote:

    >What exctly do you mean by "changing functions"?
    >Does that fall somehere between 1)-13), or (A) - (F)?

    A-C

    For example -- in WordPerfect, I can enter and delete text, open and
    close files, etc., but doing the spell-check brings up a new function,
    an overlay which is configured separately from the main program.

    Oh, I just realized I'd forgotten some details:
    WinXP Home Edition
    266 MHz Front Bus
    512 MB Ram

    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:45:03 -0800, "Ron J"
    >> <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello wildepad,
    >>> Sounds like you went by the book on this one. This may sound
    >>>dumb but did you check ?Microsoft for the min, system requirments? Do
    >>>you have enough RAM for XP, SP2, and, your programs? Hey it is a
    >>>start. Users like you make it so much easier to trouble shoot. Best
    >>> of luck to you' Ron J
    >>
    >> Yeah, I did that :) (it's often so easy to bungle the small stuff,
    >> which is what I figured I did here, but I did check that)
    >>
    >> The odd thing is that the major program problems all crop up when
    >> changing functions, times when the programs have to change the entire
    >> screen/window.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wild

    I saw your retraction post to Ron J.. your original remark was just
    unfortunately placed..

    Re. HP and SP2, Dell and Compaq also had issues with SP2 that required
    patches from both manufacturers.. I really don't know what they do to an OEM
    install or any hardware that would require 'fixing' (shakes head)..

    I wish you well, and hope that HP can get their act together for you..

    --

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:05:17 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Wild
    >>
    >>If you want to be careless about what you do with a machine 'in
    >>production',
    >>then that is your call..
    >
    > Careless? I've installed the updates from HP and MS according to the
    > best available information from each on how to install updates, and
    > the computer doesn't work -- what's 'careless' about that?
    >

    >>but when somebody tries to help you out of the mess
    >>for which YOU are responsible, at least show courtesy and respect..
    >
    > Somehow the wires got crossed -- if you look at the thread, I
    > responded appropriately to the snide remarks of "johnf", and I
    > expressed appreciation to "Ron J" because, although there doesn't seem
    > to be a cure, he at least suggested some things and tried to help.
    >

    >>Re. your problem.. some makes of computer require patches available from
    >>the
    >>manufacturer before SP2 can be installed.. regardless of any previous
    >>contact you have had with HP, try them again for a patch..
    >
    > There are several such updates, and I installed them (as noted in the
    > original post: points 5 and 9).
    >
    >>Then go to this website.. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm ..
    >
    > Except for the things that were unnecessary because I did a complete
    > system restore (format drive C: and return to factory installation), I
    > did all of that. in that order, except that I am forced by necessity
    > to download and install the SP2 through Windows Update.
    >
    > I found four such checklists, some more complete than that
    > (specifically saying the order to install software and hardware
    > updates), and tried them all (I did a complete system recovery each
    > time, so absolutely nothing could carry through from one to the next).
    >
    > Still no joy, and I have deadlines to meet, so can't play with it
    > anymore. I'll just have to live without SP2 until someone comes up
    > with a version that actually works on all HP computers that come with
    > WinXP (yeah, like that's going to happen).
    >
    > Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the misunderstanding about who
    > I replied to re: "johnf" and "Ron J".
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:10:25 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Wild
    >
    >I saw your retraction post to Ron J.. your original remark was just
    >unfortunately placed..

    Um, quibble, but it wasn't a retraction -- it was a clarification. If
    you had looked at the attributes, you would have seen that there was a
    regrettable misperception on Ron J's part.

    >Re. HP and SP2, Dell and Compaq also had issues with SP2 that required
    >patches from both manufacturers.. I really don't know what they do to an OEM
    >install or any hardware that would require 'fixing' (shakes head)..

    Oh? You mean that everything MS puts out never needs a fix?

    >I wish you well, and hope that HP can get their act together for you..

    It's on MS's end to produce something that can cross-platform.

    I find it perversely amusing that when talking to someone else about
    this, they mentioned that they've been unable to e-mail MS about their
    own problems with SP2 because their .NET passport, which MS requires,
    failed, just as mine did, leaving us out in the cold.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:10:25 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    > regrettable misperception on Ron J's part.

    You mean "regrettable perception", no such word that you used, nor is it
    proper usage.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wild

    Microsoft supply XP OS as OEM on the basis that the vendor fully supports
    it.. if the vendor does not, then why is that the responsibility of
    Microsoft?.. the major name manufacturers and vendors commission
    motherboards that are slightly off standard specification, a kind of company
    signature.. they then add whatever to the OEM installation to make it work..
    why is that the responsibility of Microsoft?

    It seems to me that you could probably be using older programs that are
    borderline in XP.. do you think that Microsoft are responsible for what you
    choose to run?.. have you considered questioning the program authors re.
    fixes such that the programs might work in XP SP2?..

    Microsoft do their best to provide a stable and safe OS in the interests of
    computing generally.. third party software authors are acutely aware of the
    problems, yet in some cases choose to do NOTHING re. compatibility with the
    latest and safest OS.. well, actually they do.. they produce new versions
    for which they demand large amounts of money.. and this is the
    responsibility of Microsoft?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Wildepad" <wildepad@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:10:25 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Wild
    >>
    >>I saw your retraction post to Ron J.. your original remark was just
    >>unfortunately placed..
    >
    > Um, quibble, but it wasn't a retraction -- it was a clarification. If
    > you had looked at the attributes, you would have seen that there was a
    > regrettable misperception on Ron J's part.
    >

    >>Re. HP and SP2, Dell and Compaq also had issues with SP2 that required
    >>patches from both manufacturers.. I really don't know what they do to an
    >>OEM
    >>install or any hardware that would require 'fixing' (shakes head)..
    >
    > Oh? You mean that everything MS puts out never needs a fix?
    >
    >>I wish you well, and hope that HP can get their act together for you..
    >
    > It's on MS's end to produce something that can cross-platform.
    >
    > I find it perversely amusing that when talking to someone else about
    > this, they mentioned that they've been unable to e-mail MS about their
    > own problems with SP2 because their .NET passport, which MS requires,
    > failed, just as mine did, leaving us out in the cold.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sorry, but I can't see any snide remarks that I've posted - they were
    supposed to be helpful ones.
    Basic rules (as far as I'm concerned), if you have a 'brandname' PC, never
    try to do a major upgrade without completely checking their upgrades first.
    When XP2 was first released (check back through the NGs) there were so many
    problems with HP owners, as HP didn't bother to publicly release pre-fixes;
    that eventually came weeks later.
    That's why I said (in other words), thoroughly peruse the HP website & make
    sure you are completely up to date.
    What many people do not realise is that SP2 is not a patch or Hotfix - it's
    a complete reconstruction of XP!

    --

    johnf

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:05:17 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Wild
    >>
    >>If you want to be careless about what you do with a machine 'in
    >>production', then that is your call..
    >
    > Careless? I've installed the updates from HP and MS according to the
    > best available information from each on how to install updates, and
    > the computer doesn't work -- what's 'careless' about that?
    >

    >>but when somebody tries to help you out of the mess
    >>for which YOU are responsible, at least show courtesy and respect..
    >
    > Somehow the wires got crossed -- if you look at the thread, I
    > responded appropriately to the snide remarks of "johnf", and I
    > expressed appreciation to "Ron J" because, although there doesn't seem
    > to be a cure, he at least suggested some things and tried to help.
    >

    >>Re. your problem.. some makes of computer require patches available
    >>from the manufacturer before SP2 can be installed.. regardless of any
    >>previous contact you have had with HP, try them again for a patch..
    >
    > There are several such updates, and I installed them (as noted in the
    > original post: points 5 and 9).
    >
    >>Then go to this website.. http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm ..
    >
    > Except for the things that were unnecessary because I did a complete
    > system restore (format drive C: and return to factory installation), I
    > did all of that. in that order, except that I am forced by necessity
    > to download and install the SP2 through Windows Update.
    >
    > I found four such checklists, some more complete than that
    > (specifically saying the order to install software and hardware
    > updates), and tried them all (I did a complete system recovery each
    > time, so absolutely nothing could carry through from one to the next).
    >
    > Still no joy, and I have deadlines to meet, so can't play with it
    > anymore. I'll just have to live without SP2 until someone comes up
    > with a version that actually works on all HP computers that come with
    > WinXP (yeah, like that's going to happen).
    >
    > Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the misunderstanding about who
    > I replied to re: "johnf" and "Ron J".
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:07:52 +1100, "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, but I can't see any snide remarks that I've posted - they were
    >supposed to be helpful ones.

    How can saying something like:
    >>(something about shutting the barn door....? - & probably learning how to do
    >>a system clean-up first & homework on installing SP2?)
    be considered anything but snide?

    If you had taken the time to look at my original post, you would have
    seen the steps I took to install it, which means I had to have
    researched it carefully to know the process which is recommended by
    HP, MS, and several widely accepted checklists.

    System clean-ups don't always remove everything, and anyone who thinks
    otherwise is living in a dream world. Doing a complete system purge,
    formatting the drive and reinstalling the factory disks is the _only_
    way to guarantee that a system is completely cleaned.

    >Basic rules (as far as I'm concerned), if you have a 'brandname' PC, never
    >try to do a major upgrade without completely checking their upgrades first.
    >When XP2 was first released (check back through the NGs) there were so many
    >problems with HP owners, as HP didn't bother to publicly release pre-fixes;
    >that eventually came weeks later.

    If you had taken the time to look at my original post, you would have
    seen that I installed the HP upgrades, and even checked for an updated
    BIOS.

    >That's why I said (in other words), thoroughly peruse the HP website & make
    >sure you are completely up to date.

    If you had taken the time to look at my original post, you would have
    seen that I checked the HP website several times to ensure that all
    upgrades had been installed.

    >What many people do not realise is that SP2 is not a patch or Hotfix - it's
    >a complete reconstruction of XP!

    So? It should still be able to be downloaded and installed, especially
    at this late date, without corrupting the system.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:59:58 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >It seems to me that you could probably be using older programs that are
    >borderline in XP.. do you think that Microsoft are responsible for what you
    >choose to run?..

    Yes, they are, in the fact that they are claiming that it is still
    Windows, which implies that Windows programs run on it.

    If Buick were to change their products so that they have one wheel and
    can only be used on concrete paving, that's fine, but they shouldn't
    call it an automobile and claim that it fills the same purpose as a
    four-wheel, go-anywhere car.

    IF MS were to maintain true compatibility, find a new name for a
    product line that does not function in critical ways like the previous
    product, or otherwise assure that the public will not be duped into
    believing that they won't have to buy a completely new set of software
    every time they buy a computer with Windows, your argument would be
    valid.

    As it is, however, MS is doing none of those.

    EOMI
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:38:54 -0800, "Ron J"
    <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hello Mike, Jhon & wild,
    > I kenw all to well what wild meant. Being a strong "Ride For The Brand"
    >man, to me, when you insult one you insult all . Wilde is most likely using
    >programs not compat. with SP2.

    That is looking like the real problem. What irks is that they're from
    different manufacturers, and all worked fine under SP1 (I always lose
    some programs when changing from one version of Windows to another,
    but to lose my top four all at once is very disconcerting).

    >You can cry about or you can fix it. Wild,

    Actually, there's a third option. :) I just went back to the original
    (with all updates other than SP2), and everything works fine. If I
    just ignore SP2, there won't be a problem.

    I didn't want to go that route and was hoping that there was some
    stupid little thing that I overlooked in installing SP2, but (alas!)
    it looks like SP2 just isn't an option.

    > you will have to go deeper into programs thagt are compat.
    >with SP2 or drop SP2 altoghter. Ms has the info it takes work to find it.

    It simply isn't economic for me to replace what I have with programs
    that are SP2 compatible -- if I'm going to spend over $2000 for new
    programs, ones that might not work on the next item in the MS product
    line, it makes far more sense to switch over to Linux which will
    maintain compatibility (or at least is open-source enough that I can
    go in and make alterations ((I knew there was a reason I kept my
    manual for C programming under Unix!!! ;-) )) ).

    > Best of luck to all,. Ron J

    Thanks for all your time and effort -- pointing out that I didn't make
    any obvious mistakes saved me from many hours of head-meet-brick-wall.

    Much appreciated.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Good luck if you won't even debate any advice given.

    --

    johnf

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:10:25 -0500, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Wild
    >>
    >>I saw your retraction post to Ron J.. your original remark was just
    >>unfortunately placed..
    >
    > Um, quibble, but it wasn't a retraction -- it was a clarification. If
    > you had looked at the attributes, you would have seen that there was a
    > regrettable misperception on Ron J's part.
    >

    >>Re. HP and SP2, Dell and Compaq also had issues with SP2 that required
    >>patches from both manufacturers.. I really don't know what they do to
    >>an OEM install or any hardware that would require 'fixing' (shakes
    >>head)..
    >
    > Oh? You mean that everything MS puts out never needs a fix?
    >
    >>I wish you well, and hope that HP can get their act together for you..
    >
    > It's on MS's end to produce something that can cross-platform.
    >
    > I find it perversely amusing that when talking to someone else about
    > this, they mentioned that they've been unable to e-mail MS about their
    > own problems with SP2 because their .NET passport, which MS requires,
    > failed, just as mine did, leaving us out in the cold.

Windows Update Windows XP