Darksteel Colossus - Turn 2?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
second turn?

"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
> second turn?

Hmm... I can do it turn 3...

Turn 1: island
Turn 2: island, mana myr
Turn 3: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
Colossus into play

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:22:15 GMT, "Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net>
wrote:

>"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
>> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
>> second turn?
>
> Hmm... I can do it turn 3...
>
>Turn 1: island
>Turn 2: island, mana myr
>Turn 3: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
>Colossus into play

Very close.

peter

Lophophora <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:<glb2k0tghnua2fkae7jc5pk168no5ts3nb@4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:22:15 GMT, "Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> >> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
> >> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
> >> second turn?
> >
> > Hmm... I can do it turn 3...
> >
> >Turn 1: island
> >Turn 2: island, mana myr
> >Turn 3: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
> >Colossus into play
> >

> Very close.

In that case, what about:

Turn 1: island, Chrome Mox (w/ blue card), mana myr/talisman
Turn 2: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it,
put Colossus.

Actually if you had the perfect hand, you could do it turn one, I
think:
1 Island, 1 random land, 1 zero-cc-card, 1 Fold, 1 Colossus, 2 blue
cards, 2 Chrome Moxen. No, that's 9 cards and requires two land-drops
on turn 1. Hmmm.

But the turn 2 drop still takes 8 cards, so you need the perfect hand,
plus a good draw.

It'd be nice to see though.
Peter

On 10 Sep 2004 06:49:59 -0700, knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote:

>Lophophora <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:<glb2k0tghnua2fkae7jc5pk168no5ts3nb@4ax.com>...
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:22:15 GMT, "Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hmm... I can do it turn 3...
>> >
>> >Turn 1: island
>> >Turn 2: island, mana myr
>> >Turn 3: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
>> >Colossus into play
>> >

>> Very close.
>
>In that case, what about:
>
>Turn 1: island, Chrome Mox (w/ blue card), mana myr/talisman
>Turn 2: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it,
>put Colossus.
>
>Actually if you had the perfect hand, you could do it turn one, I
>think:
>1 Island, 1 random land, 1 zero-cc-card, 1 Fold, 1 Colossus, 2 blue
>cards, 2 Chrome Moxen. No, that's 9 cards and requires two land-drops
>on turn 1. Hmmm.
>
>But the turn 2 drop still takes 8 cards, so you need the perfect hand,
>plus a good draw.
>
>It'd be nice to see though.
>Peter

Yep, that's it. I ues the Talisman so that I may tap it immediately
for mana and it doesn't get burned. Ideally, on turn 1 I would like
to play a Island, a Chrome Mox, then a Talisman. If I don't have the
combo, but I did have a Serum Vision, I would use the Talisman to draw
a card and scry...all this in turn 1. I have built a deck around this
that has been doing surprising well. It goes something like this:

24x Islands
4x Chrome Mox
4x Darksteel Colussus
4x Fabricate
4x Ornithopter
4x Spire Golem
4x Merchant Scroll
4x Serum Visions
4x Talisman of Progress
4x Fold into AEther
2x Sculpting Steel
2x Condescend

Total = 64

I get a Darksteel out ~50% of the time I play this deck on turn 4.

I could stand to lose 1x Fabricate and 1x Merchant Scroll because I
pull them way too often. The Serum Vision is nice on the turn 1 for
the scry ability. I was think of adding 1x counter spell and 1x
Sculpting Steel.

The Spire Golems maybe can change as well, but I don't know what I
would replace them with. Right now they're cheap flying blockers and
also cheap creatures to counter with the Fold into AEther.

I orignally had Wayfayer's Baubles, but they are just too damn slow
and don't make sense in a single color deck (for the most part).

Any suggestions to make this deck stronger are welcome.

-Phil

bs

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Add a chrome mox to the mix and on turn two you have your colossus

turn 1: island, chrome mox (any colored card), cast Blue mana mir.
turn 2: island, cast ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
Colossus into play

"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> schreef in bericht
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:22:15 GMT, "Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Lophophora" <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> >> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
> >> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
> >> second turn?
> >
> > Hmm... I can do it turn 3...
> >
> >Turn 1: island
> >Turn 2: island, mana myr
> >Turn 3: random land, cast Ornithopter, cast Fold into Aether on it, put
> >Colossus into play
> >

> Very close.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Lophophora <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:<qg92k01d0hkjtdi99lde8n4mbt00bogn2u@4ax.com>...
> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
> second turn?

I see at least 4 basic ways to do this (without using Skullclamp,
which would add many more).

A) 8 cards
1) Island, Chrome Mox (imprint red card), Veldalken Engineer
2) Land, Krark-Clan Shaman, Summoner's Egg (imprinting Colossus), &
sac Egg to KCS.

B) 8 cards
1) Island, Chrome Mox (imprint blue card), Talisman/Myr
2) Land, Cast Ornithopter, Fold into Aether (countering Ornithopter
and put Colossus into play)

C) 7 cards, but first creature (or only creature) in library must be
Colossus
1) Blinkmoth Nexus, Chrome Mox (imprint something), Chrome Mox
(imprint something), Proteus Staff.
2) Land, turn BN to creature, activate PS (targetting BN -- get
Colossus).

D) 8 cards -- *Hard Casting Colossus*
1) Artifact Land, Chrome Mox (imprint something), Talisman, Myr Moon
2) Artifact Land, Krark-Clan Ironworks, sac Myr Moon + 4 artifacts for
11 mana and cast Colossus.

Ken

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> 24x Islands
> 4x Chrome Mox
> 4x Darksteel Colussus
> 4x Fabricate
> 4x Ornithopter
> 4x Spire Golem
> 4x Merchant Scroll
> 4x Serum Visions
> 4x Talisman of Progress
> 4x Fold into AEther
> 2x Sculpting Steel
> 2x Condescend
>
> Total = 64
>
> I orignally had Wayfayer's Baubles, but they are just too damn slow
> and don't make sense in a single color deck (for the most part).

You could use Conjurer's Bauble if you want a 1 cast artifact back in the
deck. You can use it turn one to draw a card. ("Tap; Sacrifice Conjurer's
Bauble: Put UP TO one target card from your graveyard on the bottom of your
library. Draw a card.") Just choose zero targets to put on the bottom and
draw your card. It is also nice if you want to get another use out of Serum
Vision or another card.
~Ryan

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote in message news:<s1a3k0hh4g5cgmhrlq7so0e3mllbvd3j78@4ax.com>...
> I have built a deck around this
> that has been doing surprising well. It goes something like this:
>
> 24x Islands
> 4x Chrome Mox
> 4x Darksteel Colussus
> 4x Fabricate
> 4x Ornithopter
> 4x Spire Golem
> 4x Merchant Scroll
> 4x Serum Visions
> 4x Talisman of Progress
> 4x Fold into AEther
> 2x Sculpting Steel
> 2x Condescend
>
> Total = 64
>
> I get a Darksteel out ~50% of the time I play this deck on turn 4.
>
> I could stand to lose 1x Fabricate and 1x Merchant Scroll because I
> pull them way too often. The Serum Vision is nice on the turn 1 for
> the scry ability. I was think of adding 1x counter spell and 1x
> Sculpting Steel.
>
> The Spire Golems maybe can change as well, but I don't know what I
> would replace them with. Right now they're cheap flying blockers and
> also cheap creatures to counter with the Fold into AEther.
>
> I orignally had Wayfayer's Baubles, but they are just too damn slow
> and don't make sense in a single color deck (for the most part).
>
> Any suggestions to make this deck stronger are welcome.
>
> -Phil

This is a very interesting deck idea! Just for fun, I tried building
and tweaking it. A couple comments/suggestions:
1) I believe Merchant Scroll is in 8th Ed (not Mirrodin Block).
2) I often found Sculpting Steel a dead card -- too expensive to copy
Mox or Talisman, and there is no reason to copy Ornithopter or
Colussus (already winning).
3) Chrome Mox is dead if you don't have a blue card (no mana if you
don't imprint a card). (Unless you have Krark-Clan Ironworks --
below)
4) There are other combos to get Colossus out (see my other post)
which have a lot of synergy.

Therefore, I tried the following:
12x Island
4x Seat of the Synod
4x Blinkmoth Nexus
4x Darksteel Citadel (any artifact land -- could be replaced with
islands)
4x Chrome Mox
4x Darksteel Colossus -- the only creature in the deck
4x Fabricate
4x Serum Visions
4x Talisman of Progress
4x Fold into Aether
4x Proteus Staff
4x Krark-Clan Ironworks
4x Conjurer's Bauble (or Ornithopter, which hurts the Proteus Staff
combo)
2x Condescend (can easily be removed)
-----------
Total: 62 cards

Typical 4 turn hands would be:
- Blinkmoth Nexus, Proteus Staff (+ 3 other lands/mana by turn 4)
- Fold into Aether, 4 lands (by turn 4), + 2 of Fabricate, Chrome Mox,
or Darksteel Colussus
- Krark-Clan Ironworks, Darksteel Colussus, Mox or Talisman, + 4 lands
(including 1 artifact land) by turn 4.

A quick goldfish test of 33 games showed that Colossus came out:
10% on turn 3, 60% on turn 4, 25% on turn 5, and 5% on turn 6.
I'm sure there are a lot of improvements that could be made to this,
but this is a start.

Some pointers (probably obvious, but...):
1) Things you can sac to Krark-Clan Ironworks: Chrome Mox w/o
imprint, Blinkmoth Nexus (for net 1 mana), itself
2) Fabricate for artifact land (if need land or to sac to KCI for net
3 mana)
3) Of course, Fold into Aether on Chrome Mox could be done with no
other cards in hand.
4) I tend to not to cast Chrome Mox until I'm pretty sure which method
I'll use to bring out the Colossus.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Again, this is a neat deck
idea. Good luck!
Ken

On 11 Sep 2004 15:58:37 -0700, kfutamura@comcast.net (Ken) wrote:

>Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote in message news:<s1a3k0hh4g5cgmhrlq7so0e3mllbvd3j78@4ax.com>...
>> I have built a deck around this
>> that has been doing surprising well. It goes something like this:
>>
>> 24x Islands
>> 4x Chrome Mox
>> 4x Darksteel Colussus
>> 4x Fabricate
>> 4x Ornithopter
>> 4x Spire Golem
>> 4x Merchant Scroll
>> 4x Serum Visions
>> 4x Talisman of Progress
>> 4x Fold into AEther
>> 2x Sculpting Steel
>> 2x Condescend
>>
>> Total = 64
>>
>> I get a Darksteel out ~50% of the time I play this deck on turn 4.
>>
>> I could stand to lose 1x Fabricate and 1x Merchant Scroll because I
>> pull them way too often. The Serum Vision is nice on the turn 1 for
>> the scry ability. I was think of adding 1x counter spell and 1x
>> Sculpting Steel.
>>
>> The Spire Golems maybe can change as well, but I don't know what I
>> would replace them with. Right now they're cheap flying blockers and
>> also cheap creatures to counter with the Fold into AEther.
>>
>> I orignally had Wayfayer's Baubles, but they are just too damn slow
>> and don't make sense in a single color deck (for the most part).
>>
>> Any suggestions to make this deck stronger are welcome.
>>
>> -Phil
>
>This is a very interesting deck idea! Just for fun, I tried building
>and tweaking it. A couple comments/suggestions:
>1) I believe Merchant Scroll is in 8th Ed (not Mirrodin Block).

Yes, that is correct (forgot to add that to my initial post).

>2) I often found Sculpting Steel a dead card -- too expensive to copy
>Mox or Talisman, and there is no reason to copy Ornithopter or
>Colussus (already winning).

Good point. If I decide to keep the Sculpting Steel it will only be
one per deck. I added it mainly to contend with the Tooth and Nail
decks.

>3) Chrome Mox is dead if you don't have a blue card (no mana if you
>don't imprint a card). (Unless you have Krark-Clan Ironworks --
>below)

I like the Chrome Mox for early accelleration and for the zero casting
cost card to Fold into Aether on.

>4) There are other combos to get Colossus out (see my other post)
>which have a lot of synergy.

Saw them! A Lot of options there.

>Therefore, I tried the following:
>12x Island
>4x Seat of the Synod
>4x Blinkmoth Nexus
>4x Darksteel Citadel (any artifact land -- could be replaced with
>islands)
>4x Chrome Mox
>4x Darksteel Colossus -- the only creature in the deck
>4x Fabricate
>4x Serum Visions
>4x Talisman of Progress
>4x Fold into Aether
>4x Proteus Staff
>4x Krark-Clan Ironworks
>4x Conjurer's Bauble (or Ornithopter, which hurts the Proteus Staff
>combo)
>2x Condescend (can easily be removed)
>-----------
>Total: 62 cards

I too thought about going artifact lands just so that I may search for
one should I have a fabricate in my hand that and I am holding a DSC.
The other reason I like having the Sculpting Steels, is basically, the
more the better... i.e. On Darksteel Colossus has an Inertia Bubble on
it I'll have the second ready to go. I've already ditched the Spire
Golems.

My main problem with leaning more on artifacts is that there are too
many anti-artifact decks right now. Tooth and Nail is a perfect
example. The way I've set my deck up, is my opponent has to sit back
and watch as play a turn 4 Darksteel Colossus and there's really
nothing that they can do about it (unless they counter it).

>Typical 4 turn hands would be:
>- Blinkmoth Nexus, Proteus Staff (+ 3 other lands/mana by turn 4)
>- Fold into Aether, 4 lands (by turn 4), + 2 of Fabricate, Chrome Mox,
>or Darksteel Colussus
>- Krark-Clan Ironworks, Darksteel Colussus, Mox or Talisman, + 4 lands
>(including 1 artifact land) by turn 4.
>
>A quick goldfish test of 33 games showed that Colossus came out:
>10% on turn 3, 60% on turn 4, 25% on turn 5, and 5% on turn 6.
>I'm sure there are a lot of improvements that could be made to this,
>but this is a start.

I'm at about 50% turn 4 dropping the Darksteel Colossus, but after
turn 4 the percentages increase each turn.

>Some pointers (probably obvious, but...):
>1) Things you can sac to Krark-Clan Ironworks: Chrome Mox w/o
>imprint, Blinkmoth Nexus (for net 1 mana), itself
>2) Fabricate for artifact land (if need land or to sac to KCI for net
>3 mana)

I like this idea.

>3) Of course, Fold into Aether on Chrome Mox could be done with no
>other cards in hand.

Yes, I have 8 in my deck (4x Chrome Mox, 4x Ornithopter).

>4) I tend to not to cast Chrome Mox until I'm pretty sure which method
>I'll use to bring out the Colossus.

Same, unless I have a Talisman.

>Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Again, this is a neat deck
>idea. Good luck!
>Ken

Very helpful, thanks!

-Phil

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:59:46 GMT, "Griffyn 16" <rlcarper31@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>> 24x Islands
>> 4x Chrome Mox
>> 4x Darksteel Colussus
>> 4x Fabricate
>> 4x Ornithopter
>> 4x Spire Golem
>> 4x Merchant Scroll
>> 4x Serum Visions
>> 4x Talisman of Progress
>> 4x Fold into AEther
>> 2x Sculpting Steel
>> 2x Condescend
>>
>> Total = 64
>>
>> I orignally had Wayfayer's Baubles, but they are just too damn slow
>> and don't make sense in a single color deck (for the most part).
>>

>You could use Conjurer's Bauble if you want a 1 cast artifact back in the
>deck. You can use it turn one to draw a card. ("Tap; Sacrifice Conjurer's
>Bauble: Put UP TO one target card from your graveyard on the bottom of your
>library. Draw a card.") Just choose zero targets to put on the bottom and
>draw your card. It is also nice if you want to get another use out of Serum
>Vision or another card.
>~Ryan

Yes, I made add these instead of the Spire Golems. I may drop 1x
Island and 1x Sculpting Steel so this will give some additional room.
:)

-Phil

On 10 Sep 2004 15:18:34 -0700, kfutamura@comcast.net (Ken) wrote:

>Lophophora <phz@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:<qg92k01d0hkjtdi99lde8n4mbt00bogn2u@4ax.com>...
>> Using only the Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn) and
>> taking the first turn, how does one play a Darksteel Colossus on their
>> second turn?
>
>I see at least 4 basic ways to do this (without using Skullclamp,
>which would add many more).
>
>A) 8 cards
>1) Island, Chrome Mox (imprint red card), Veldalken Engineer
>2) Land, Krark-Clan Shaman, Summoner's Egg (imprinting Colossus), &
>sac Egg to KCS.

That's pretty good. You could even do something with green and
oxidize the Summoner's Egg.

>B) 8 cards
>1) Island, Chrome Mox (imprint blue card), Talisman/Myr
>2) Land, Cast Ornithopter, Fold into Aether (countering Ornithopter
>and put Colossus into play)

This is my current set-up.

>C) 7 cards, but first creature (or only creature) in library must be
>Colossus
>1) Blinkmoth Nexus, Chrome Mox (imprint something), Chrome Mox
>(imprint something), Proteus Staff.
>2) Land, turn BN to creature, activate PS (targetting BN -- get
>Colossus).

Very clever. :)

>D) 8 cards -- *Hard Casting Colossus*
>1) Artifact Land, Chrome Mox (imprint something), Talisman, Myr Moon
>2) Artifact Land, Krark-Clan Ironworks, sac Myr Moon + 4 artifacts for
>11 mana and cast Colossus.

Only problem here is that you will be screwed if they get rid of your
Colossus.