Deck Idea -- Stop and Go

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 12, 2004 6:37:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I was thinking about a way to abuse the previewed card Time Stop. My first thought, while
comedic, wouldn't work as by directly using Panoptic Mirror, my turns would end without
doing anything. That could be abused if I really tried I suppose, but then it hit me. I could
use the Mirror to recurse Cuning Wish to keep pulling out Time Stop and reusing it on my
opponent's turn.

"Stop and Go"
Land
20 Island
4 Lonely Sandbar

4 Fog Bank
4 Man-o'-War
4 Dreamborn Muse
2 Silver Myr

4 Panoptic Mirror
4 Time Stop
4 Cunning Wish
4 Boomerang
4 Unsummon
2 Wheel and Deal

Sideboard:
4 Echoing Truth
???
???
???

The idea is to eventally Time Stop your opponent every turn by retrieving it with
the Cunning Wish on the Panoptic Mirror. Since I've been trying to exploit
Dreamborn Muse, that's what I've tried to do. If I have my rules right then there
should be a way to let the Muse's milling trigger resolve, then Time Stop them,
all before they can draw their card.

The Wheel and Deal is for a second Mirror, make them draw 7 cards a turn and
if you have the Muse out, more goodly fun.

I figure that the idea's already been thought of many times. And the best part is
that for a defense against milling yourself is to put a Time Stop on the Mirror and
Stop yourself.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion on how to make the dek more evil and prone
to getting one lynched, beaten or killed? The whole milling idea could probably go
but I kind of liked the thought of your opponent watchingn helplessly as his library
disappeared ... that and I already have 4 copies of the Muse.

All constructive help is very welcome

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
There's a combo in them thar cards!

More about : deck idea stop

September 13, 2004 10:23:29 AM

"Clayton" <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<B_01d.3186$0h7.131974@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I was thinking about a way to abuse the previewed card Time Stop. My first thought, while
> comedic, wouldn't work as by directly using Panoptic Mirror, my turns would end without
> doing anything. That could be abused if I really tried I suppose, but then it hit me. I could
> use the Mirror to recurse Cuning Wish to keep pulling out Time Stop and reusing it on my
> opponent's turn.

I see. So you're imprinting Time Stop onto the Mirror, then pulling
it out with the Wish? Interesting. That's a pricy imprint though.
You gonna need a lot of mana.
Peter
September 13, 2004 10:23:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

"Clayton" <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<B_01d.3186$0h7.131974@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I was thinking about a way to abuse the previewed card Time Stop. My first thought, while
> comedic, wouldn't work as by directly using Panoptic Mirror, my turns would end without
> doing anything. That could be abused if I really tried I suppose, but then it hit me. I could
> use the Mirror to recurse Cuning Wish to keep pulling out Time Stop and reusing it on my
> opponent's turn.

I see. So you're imprinting Time Stop onto the Mirror, then pulling
it out with the Wish? Interesting. That's a pricy imprint though.
You gonna need a lot of mana.
Peter
Related resources
September 13, 2004 3:06:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > I was thinking about a way to abuse the previewed card Time Stop. My
first thought, while
> > comedic, wouldn't work as by directly using Panoptic Mirror, my turns
would end without
> > doing anything. That could be abused if I really tried I suppose, but
then it hit me. I could
> > use the Mirror to recurse Cuning Wish to keep pulling out Time Stop and
reusing it on my
> > opponent's turn.
>
> I see. So you're imprinting Time Stop onto the Mirror, then pulling
> it out with the Wish? Interesting. That's a pricy imprint though.
> You gonna need a lot of mana.

Actually I would be imprinting the Wish on the Mirror and using it to fetch
the
Time Stop repeatedly. If I were to put Time Stop on the Mirror, I'd lose
out on all of my turns (Though it's a good way not to lose by decking)

Plus, I can do the imprinting when I want, freeing up my mana to actually
cast the retrieved Time Stop.

The idea is that I've already played one Time Stop. Then I imprint the Wish
on
the Mirror. Wit the Wish, I get the Stop that I've already played, and when
his turn comes around, I play it, denying his turn, then I can go on with
mine where I can use the Wish on the Mirror again to get back the Time Stop
I just played ... well you get the idea.

Though I guess with the Stop out, I could abuse things that skip my turns a
bit
easier since my opponent won't have his extra turn essentially. Where's
that
Waterspout Elemental I've got lying about here somewhere ... Or Chronotog.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
When you wish upon a mirror ...
September 13, 2004 4:09:45 PM

knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<9591b0f0.0409130523.2c3c7904@posting.google.com>...
> "Clayton" <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<B_01d.3186$0h7.131974@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> > I was thinking about a way to abuse the previewed card Time Stop. My first thought, while
> > comedic, wouldn't work as by directly using Panoptic Mirror, my turns would end without
> > doing anything. That could be abused if I really tried I suppose, but then it hit me. I could
> > use the Mirror to recurse Cuning Wish to keep pulling out Time Stop and reusing it on my
> > opponent's turn.
>
> I see. So you're imprinting Time Stop onto the Mirror, then pulling
> it out with the Wish? Interesting. That's a pricy imprint though.
> You gonna need a lot of mana.
> Peter

I don't think this would work, because you'd have to cast it on your
opponent's step, THEN imprint it. But at that point it's already
gone.

And even then, you'd have to spend 16 (?) to cast AND imprint on the
same turn, not to mention the mana for the wish.

I dunno. Maybe if you imprinted Early Harvest or something.
Peter
September 13, 2004 9:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> > I see. So you're imprinting Time Stop onto the Mirror, then pulling
> > it out with the Wish? Interesting. That's a pricy imprint though.
> > You gonna need a lot of mana.
> > Peter
>
> I don't think this would work, because you'd have to cast it on your
> opponent's step, THEN imprint it. But at that point it's already
> gone.
>
> And even then, you'd have to spend 16 (?) to cast AND imprint on the
> same turn, not to mention the mana for the wish.
>
> I dunno. Maybe if you imprinted Early Harvest or something.

Why not? The Mirror's 5 and playable when I can. You only have to imprint something
on it when you're going to use it. Time Stop's 6 mana (4UU) and to imprint the Cunning Wish
is 3. And the copy is free every turn, so long as the Mirror stays around.

So barring mana acceleration, it would go something like this:
My Turn 5 -> 9: Play Panoptic Mirror.
My Turn 6 -> 9: Play First Time Stop
My Turn 10: During Upkeep, Imprint cunning Wish. Use copy of Cunning Wish to pull Time Stop
Opponent's Turn 10: Play Time Stop
Repeat ad nauseam so long as they don't have an answer for it.

Of course, that's just to start and run the engine in one turn. There's other timings that an speed
it
up, but leave the combination more vulnerable.

And if I go for a more utility-based sideboard, then I can imprint the Wish sooner, pulling
other useful stuff. until I cast the Time Stop to pull back.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
What do you mean it's not random?
September 14, 2004 11:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Why not? The Mirror's 5 and playable when I can. You only have to imprint something
> on it when you're going to use it. Time Stop's 6 mana (4UU) and to imprint the Cunning Wish
> is 3. And the copy is free every turn, so long as the Mirror stays around.

Well, for one, I thought Time Stop was 8cc.

> So barring mana acceleration, it would go something like this:
> My Turn 5 -> 9: Play Panoptic Mirror.
> My Turn 6 -> 9: Play First Time Stop
> My Turn 10: During Upkeep, Imprint cunning Wish. Use copy of Cunning Wish to pull Time Stop
> Opponent's Turn 10: Play Time Stop
> Repeat ad nauseam so long as they don't have an answer for it.

Pull Time Stop from where? You can only have 4 in your sideboard, and
once it's played, it goes to the graveyard, doesn't it?

I guess what I'm asking is, how do you keep getting the Time Stop with
the imprinted Wish?
Peter
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:21:05 PM

"Peter" <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why not? The Mirror's 5 and playable when I can. You only have to
imprint something
> > on it when you're going to use it. Time Stop's 6 mana (4UU) and to
imprint the Cunning Wish
> > is 3. And the copy is free every turn, so long as the Mirror stays
around.

> Well, for one, I thought Time Stop was 8cc.
>

> > So barring mana acceleration, it would go something like this:
> > My Turn 5 -> 9: Play Panoptic Mirror.
> > My Turn 6 -> 9: Play First Time Stop
> > My Turn 10: During Upkeep, Imprint cunning Wish. Use copy of Cunning
Wish to pull Time Stop
> > Opponent's Turn 10: Play Time Stop
> > Repeat ad nauseam so long as they don't have an answer for it.
>
> Pull Time Stop from where? You can only have 4 in your sideboard, and
> once it's played, it goes to the graveyard, doesn't it?
>
> I guess what I'm asking is, how do you keep getting the Time Stop with
> the imprinted Wish?

Time Stop, as part of its resolution, is removed from the game (along with
any spells that are on the stack). Once it's removed from the game, Cunning
Wish can retreive it.

--

KB

first initial last name AT gmail DOT com
September 15, 2004 12:33:03 PM

"Ken Briscoe" <youcant@sendmespam.com> wrote in message news:<2qogigF10ppedU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "Peter" <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Why not? The Mirror's 5 and playable when I can. You only have to
> imprint something
> > > on it when you're going to use it. Time Stop's 6 mana (4UU) and to
> imprint the Cunning Wish
> > > is 3. And the copy is free every turn, so long as the Mirror stays
> around.
> >
> > Well, for one, I thought Time Stop was 8cc.
> >

> > > So barring mana acceleration, it would go something like this:
> > > My Turn 5 -> 9: Play Panoptic Mirror.
> > > My Turn 6 -> 9: Play First Time Stop
> > > My Turn 10: During Upkeep, Imprint cunning Wish. Use copy of Cunning
> Wish to pull Time Stop
> > > Opponent's Turn 10: Play Time Stop
> > > Repeat ad nauseam so long as they don't have an answer for it.
> >
> > Pull Time Stop from where? You can only have 4 in your sideboard, and
> > once it's played, it goes to the graveyard, doesn't it?
> >
> > I guess what I'm asking is, how do you keep getting the Time Stop with
> > the imprinted Wish?
>
> Time Stop, as part of its resolution, is removed from the game (along with
> any spells that are on the stack). Once it's removed from the game, Cunning
> Wish can retreive it.

Gotcha. See, that's the problem with not being able to see the card.
In that case, sounds great!

Peter
!