Computer freezes in XP Pro

I upgraded my old 900 mhz windows me computer to xp pro. After an apparently
successful install, the computer would freeze randomly. There is no error
message. Whatever colours are on the screen at the time of the crash are
combined into vertical stripes. At this point the only option is to reboot.

I have done the following:
upgraded the bios
changed the power supply to one with same specicifications
reinstalled Windows XP Pro
reinstalled Windows ME (when booted to Windows ME the symptom does not occur)
checked the event viewer

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes

    Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for XP (eg enough memory)?

    Jim

    "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I upgraded my old 900 mhz windows me computer to xp pro. After an
    apparently
    > successful install, the computer would freeze randomly. There is no error
    > message. Whatever colours are on the screen at the time of the crash are
    > combined into vertical stripes. At this point the only option is to
    reboot.

    > I have done the following:
    > upgraded the bios
    > changed the power supply to one with same specicifications
    > reinstalled Windows XP Pro
    > reinstalled Windows ME (when booted to Windows ME the symptom does not
    occur)
    > checked the event viewer
    >
    > Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

    Good question. Yes I believe it does.

    I have 512 MB of memory
    I have installed on two different hard drives one 40 MB and one 200 MB with
    the same results.

    "Jim Robin" wrote:

    > Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for XP (eg enough memory)?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I upgraded my old 900 mhz windows me computer to xp pro. After an
    > apparently
    > > successful install, the computer would freeze randomly. There is no error
    > > message. Whatever colours are on the screen at the time of the crash are
    > > combined into vertical stripes. At this point the only option is to
    > reboot.
    > >
    > > I have done the following:
    > > upgraded the bios
    > > changed the power supply to one with same specicifications
    > > reinstalled Windows XP Pro
    > > reinstalled Windows ME (when booted to Windows ME the symptom does not
    > occur)
    > > checked the event viewer
    > >
    > > Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

    Hi Jules,

    Just to clarify - do you mean 40 Giga-byte and 200 Giga-byte hard drives?

    > Good question. Yes I believe it does.
    >
    > I have 512 MB of memory
    > I have installed on two different hard drives one 40 MB and one 200 MB
    with
    > the same results.
    >
    > "Jim Robin" wrote:
    >
    > > Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for XP (eg enough
    memory)?

    > > Jim
    > >
    > > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I upgraded my old 900 mhz windows me computer to xp pro. After an
    > > apparently
    > > > successful install, the computer would freeze randomly. There is no
    error
    > > > message. Whatever colours are on the screen at the time of the crash
    are
    > > > combined into vertical stripes. At this point the only option is to
    > > reboot.
    > > >
    > > > I have done the following:
    > > > upgraded the bios
    > > > changed the power supply to one with same specicifications
    > > > reinstalled Windows XP Pro
    > > > reinstalled Windows ME (when booted to Windows ME the symptom does not
    > > occur)
    > > > checked the event viewer
    > > >
    > > > Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

    ahh Yes
    I do. 40 GB and 200 GB drives
    I must have been sleeping when I wrote that last post

    "Jim Robin" wrote:

    > Hi Jules,
    >
    > Just to clarify - do you mean 40 Giga-byte and 200 Giga-byte hard drives?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Good question. Yes I believe it does.
    > >
    > > I have 512 MB of memory
    > > I have installed on two different hard drives one 40 MB and one 200 MB
    > with
    > > the same results.
    > >
    > > "Jim Robin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for XP (eg enough
    > memory)?
    > > >
    > > > Jim
    > > >
    > > > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > apparently