Your question

Messenger Sevice pop-up Ads

Tags:
  • Messenger
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
May 11, 2003 5:09:46 PM

Hello;
I've been trying to find a way to get rid of these 'Messenger Sevice' pop-up ads that are appearing on my computer and haven't had much luck. I assume that some Adware has been installed onto my 'shared' computer and was hoping to find a way to get rid of it. The ads are popping up in a overlay format similar to the 'netsend' messages and when I click on the 'Go To Process' in the Applications section of the Windows Task Manager, it highlights a file called 'csrss.exe'. I know that this file is used for the console (text) windows and process management.
All said, is there any way to remove these annoying ad pop-ups??? It's quite frustrating to lose your Hardcore character in Diablo 2 because some stupid ad is advertising me "Another 2 inches to your penis in 3 hours!!!" as it mimizes my game to the Desktop and my character gets wiped out.

Specs:
Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
Virus Checker: Norton's
Other applications usually running: MSN Messenger, QuickTime, Epson Printer stuff

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

More about : messenger sevice pop ads

May 11, 2003 5:16:48 PM

Open Control Panel<Administrative Tools<Component Services
Then Right click the service called messenger (in the right pane) and disable it.

This is not MSN Messenger but windows messenger. It was meant to be able to send messages between computers on a lan but spammers have used it for pop ups.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
May 11, 2003 5:28:57 PM

Thanks! Greatly appreciated.
!