Yet another deck idea...

Last response: in Video Games
September 17, 2004 3:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Greetings, All--

My latest idea (T2):

"Little Red"
4x Electrostatic Bolt
4x Shock
4x Magma Jet
4x Shrapnel Blast
2x Pulse of the Forge
4x Slith Firewalker
2x War Elemental
3x Furnace Whelp
2x Solemn Simulacrum
3x Isochron Scepter
4x Wayfarer's Bauble
4x Pyrite Spellbomb

16x Mountain
4x Great Furnace

SB:
3x Shatter
3x Shunt
3x Blood Moon
3x Pyroclasm
3x Flashfires

This should be an easy deck to understand. Come down fast, hard, and
heavy. It does pretty well, but of course, I'd like to make it
better. The Baubles are there for the mana acceleration, as well as
Shrapnel Blast fodder. Ditto for the Simulacrums (of which I only
have two right now; I'll be getting one more this week.)

My biggest debate is about the War Elementals. They work pretty well
in the deck. But it was suggested that I replace them (or the Whelps)
with Fireballs, which I'm unsure about.

Any suggestions?

Scott

More about : deck idea

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 9:03:13 PM

sfvajdos@hotmail.com (Scott Vajdos) wrote in message news:<42d15bb3.0409171035.776747e2@posting.google.com>...
> Greetings, All--
>
> My latest idea (T2):
>
> "Little Red"
> 4x Electrostatic Bolt
> 4x Shock
> 4x Magma Jet
> 4x Shrapnel Blast
> 2x Pulse of the Forge
> 4x Slith Firewalker
> 2x War Elemental
> 3x Furnace Whelp
> 2x Solemn Simulacrum
> 3x Isochron Scepter
> 4x Wayfarer's Bauble
> 4x Pyrite Spellbomb
>
> 16x Mountain
> 4x Great Furnace
>
> SB:
> 3x Shatter
> 3x Shunt
> 3x Blood Moon
> 3x Pyroclasm
> 3x Flashfires
>
> This should be an easy deck to understand. Come down fast, hard, and
> heavy. It does pretty well, but of course, I'd like to make it
> better. The Baubles are there for the mana acceleration, as well as
> Shrapnel Blast fodder. Ditto for the Simulacrums (of which I only
> have two right now; I'll be getting one more this week.)
>
> My biggest debate is about the War Elementals. They work pretty well
> in the deck. But it was suggested that I replace them (or the Whelps)
> with Fireballs, which I'm unsure about.

War Elementals are very mana intensive, since ideally you want to cast
one, put the trigger on the stack, then burn your opponent. That's a
minimum of four mana for esentially a 3/3 Hasted dude. Sure, he grows,
but with 20 lands, that may be too little too late.

Oxidda Golem should hit for 3 on turn 3 every time, plus be another
Shrap Blast source for the finishing touch. Non-red sources of damage
should also be nice to have.

--
Justin
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

To summon a deamon called Scott Vajdos you must know the following
incantation:

> "Little Red"
> 4x Electrostatic Bolt
> 4x Shock
> 4x Magma Jet
> 4x Shrapnel Blast
> 2x Pulse of the Forge
> 4x Slith Firewalker
> 2x War Elemental
> 3x Furnace Whelp
> 2x Solemn Simulacrum
> 3x Isochron Scepter
> 4x Wayfarer's Bauble
> 4x Pyrite Spellbomb
> 16x Mountain
> 4x Great Furnace
> SB:
> 3x Shatter
> 3x Shunt
> 3x Blood Moon
> 3x Pyroclasm
> 3x Flashfires
>
> This should be an easy deck to understand. Come down fast, hard, and
> heavy. It does pretty well, but of course, I'd like to make it
> better. The Baubles are there for the mana acceleration, as well as
> Shrapnel Blast fodder. Ditto for the Simulacrums (of which I only
> have two right now; I'll be getting one more this week.)

i don't really like baubles and simulacrums in this kind of deck...
ditto war elementals... i'd put in 4 moxen (i know, can be tough to get
;/ ) and 4 oxxida golems - they fit perfectly! and one more whelp -
these are fine i guess ;]

> My biggest debate is about the War Elementals. They work pretty well
> in the deck. But it was suggested that I replace them (or the Whelps)
> with Fireballs, which I'm unsure about.
> Any suggestions?

i played two shatters maindeck (instead of the pulses) three nexi
(instead of the scepters) and with fireballs in place of shocks, with
the sideboard changed a bit on my first mirbc tourney (and if i recall
corectly i had 4 maindeck detonates instead of magma jets, 'cause there
was no 5d then) and i lost to regular big red only - the 'old' versions
of affinity, with broodstars and so on were too slow for me, and only
one person had ravagers then :p  later on i went for big red, as 'lil one
tended to lose to ravffinity...

watman
--
Mateusz "Watman" Wata | Blackcrowned Forevermore!
watman<at>interia.pl | watman<at>gmail.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

sfvajdos@hotmail.com (Scott Vajdos) wrote in message news:<42d15bb3.0409171035.776747e2@posting.google.com>...
> Greetings, All--
>
> My latest idea (T2):
>
> "Little Red"
> 4x Electrostatic Bolt
> 4x Shock
> 4x Magma Jet
> 4x Shrapnel Blast
> 2x Pulse of the Forge
> 4x Slith Firewalker
> 2x War Elemental
> 3x Furnace Whelp
> 2x Solemn Simulacrum
> 3x Isochron Scepter
> 4x Wayfarer's Bauble
> 4x Pyrite Spellbomb
>
> 16x Mountain
> 4x Great Furnace
>
> SB:
> 3x Shatter
> 3x Shunt
> 3x Blood Moon
> 3x Pyroclasm
> 3x Flashfires
>
> Any suggestions?

My only concerns with decks like this is tempo. I think the Scepters
help because then you're redrawing the same card each turn, but these
can die quickly to artifact hate, esp in the Mirrodin environment.

So, after you play out your hand on turn 4 or 5, how do you keep the
pressure on? Spellbombs help, but that'd still be my concern.

Sorry, I got no answers because I'm still trying to figure it out
myself. I use flashback spells in my all red War Elemental deck,
which helps, but that gets out of Mirrodin block.

Peter
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 7:12:56 AM

On 20 Sep 2004 07:07:54 -0700, knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote:

>sfvajdos@hotmail.com (Scott Vajdos) wrote in message news:<42d15bb3.0409171035.776747e2@posting.google.com>...
>> Greetings, All--
>>
>> My latest idea (T2):
>>
>> "Little Red"
>> 4x Electrostatic Bolt
>> 4x Shock
>> 4x Magma Jet
>> 4x Shrapnel Blast
>> 2x Pulse of the Forge
>> 4x Slith Firewalker
>> 2x War Elemental
>> 3x Furnace Whelp
>> 2x Solemn Simulacrum
>> 3x Isochron Scepter
>> 4x Wayfarer's Bauble
>> 4x Pyrite Spellbomb
>>
>> 16x Mountain
>> 4x Great Furnace
>>
>> SB:
>> 3x Shatter
>> 3x Shunt
>> 3x Blood Moon
>> 3x Pyroclasm
>> 3x Flashfires
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>My only concerns with decks like this is tempo. I think the Scepters
>help because then you're redrawing the same card each turn, but these
>can die quickly to artifact hate, esp in the Mirrodin environment.
>
>So, after you play out your hand on turn 4 or 5, how do you keep the
>pressure on? Spellbombs help, but that'd still be my concern.

I'm out of touch on the cards, so this is pure theory; I'm also
assuming the deck is a modern MCB incarnation (or attempt thereof.)

So on that note... IF the deck is working right, he's either dead or
well within easy burn range at that point. You're not looking so much
at keeping up the pressure, but in finishing the job. What you want,
then, is to be grabbing that finisher every turn (or as close to it as
possible.)

No specific solutions or advice, because (as I said) I'm out of touch
with the cards. But the first thing I'd look at is whether the
Isochrons (and anything else that can't damage the opponent on it's
own) are doing enough before they get countered.

--
You can't claim the moral highground
By sinking to your enemy's level.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hello, Peter!
You wrote on 20 Sep 2004 07:07:54 -0700:

P> So, after you play out your hand on turn 4 or 5, how do you keep
P> the
P> pressure on? Spellbombs help, but that'd still be my concern.

Personally, I'm now exploring the idea of answering such questions with
Mindstorm Crown (also with a red deck). It might be painful if you draw
two lands, though, so repeatable ways of discarding unneeded cards would
be nice. A good example of such solution is using a Fleshgrafter in
Affinity deck - suggested in an article called "Cranial Affinity" on
www.playordraw.com a couple of months ago...

Regards,
Arkady.
!