Post-Champions Extended Deck

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Here's an idea I had for a deck for post-Champions Extended. It may be
more casual than competitive, but the idea is there.

3 x Uyo, Silent Prophet
4 x Harrow
4 x Explosive Vegetation
3 x Crucible of the Worlds
2 x Asuza, Lost but Searching
4 x Exploration
1 x Constant Mists
3 x Cunning Wish
4 x Moment of Peace
4 x Roar of the Wurm
4 x Grizzly Fate

14 x Forest
6 x Island
4 x Yavimaya Coast

Use Uyo and Harrow/Explosive Vegetation to thaw all of the land out of
your library. With Crucible and Asuza you'll be able to get them all
into play. And from there on out, everything you draw is useful.

mypetrock
1 answer Last reply
More about post champions extended deck
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Doyle" <mypetrock@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Here's an idea I had for a deck for post-Champions Extended. It may be
    > more casual than competitive, but the idea is there.

    I know its just an idea, but I made a lot of comments. I'm not trying to be
    critical - I'm trying to drive this deck forward from the concept stage.

    > 3 x Uyo, Silent Prophet
    > 4 x Harrow
    > 4 x Explosive Vegetation
    > 3 x Crucible of the Worlds

    So far the deck has only Harrow and Constant Mists putting land in the
    graveyard, so 3 lands would be better than 3 Crucible of Worlds. Is CoW
    meant to protect against your opponent's land destruction? In that case,
    they shouldn't be in the main deck unless all of your opponents play LD.

    > 2 x Asuza, Lost but Searching
    > 4 x Exploration
    > 1 x Constant Mists
    > 3 x Cunning Wish
    > 4 x Moment of Peace
    > 4 x Roar of the Wurm

    I don't see a way to discard Roar, which makes it a dead card in the early
    game. I think Call of the Hunt (or almost anything else) would be better.
    When playing a combo deck, the key is surviving long enough to pull of the
    mega-combo.

    > 4 x Grizzly Fate
    >
    > 14 x Forest
    > 6 x Island
    > 4 x Yavimaya Coast
    >
    > Use Uyo and Harrow/Explosive Vegetation to thaw all of the land out of
    > your library. With Crucible and Asuza you'll be able to get them all
    > into play. And from there on out, everything you draw is useful.

    It is an interesting land engine, which could do some even more interesting
    things depending on which offensive cards you paired it with.

    The only win condition I currently see in this deck is to attack with a
    swarm of tokens. So you would want some insurance against your opponent
    playing Upheaval (a very popular extended card, to say the least) after you
    create your swarm.

    With 3 Cunning Wish and the ability to copy them, you could potentially
    bring your entire sideboard into the game, making the choice of 15 instants
    for your sideboard particularly critical to this deck. I think you should
    have an alternate win condition, perhaps a sideboard "mill" card
    (Brain Freeze, Vision Charm). You can fetch it with Cunning Wish when you
    have the ability to make enough copies to deck your opponent.

    IMHO Constant Mists (and some more one-ofs) belong in the sideboard, where
    you are more likely to get it when you need it (and not get it when you
    don't need it).

    Another win condition is to use copies of a bounce spell like Boomerang to
    lock the opponent with no permanents, in which case you could win by
    attacking with Azusa:-)

    here some of the sideboard candidates I choose from when making a CW deck
    (note - some are not extended-legal; if someone has a better list, or one
    tailored to extended, please post it):

    Green: Tranquil Domain, Serene Heart, Oxidize + Emerald Charm (or
    Naturalize), Crop Rotation
    Blue: (flavors of Counterspell:) Disrupt, Force Void, Annul, Abjure, Remove
    Soul, Flash Counter, Arcane Denial, Dissipate, Prohibit, Spell Blast, Daze,
    Power Sink, Hindering Touch, Memory Lapse
    Hydroblast
    (flavors of Boomerang:) Capsize, etc.
    (flavors of Deflection) Meddle, Rebound
    (non-counter:)
    Ensnare, Shadow Rift, Siren's Call, Ether Well, Unsummon, Boomerang, Reality
    Ripple
    (anti-creature:) Ray of Command, Tidal Wave
    Infuse
    (versatile:) Vision Charm (mill 4, art phase, lands become 1 type), Sapphire
    Charm (draw, creature phase, fly) Trickery Charm (look@4, fly, creature
    type)
    carddrawing: Brainstorm, Three Wishes, Read the Runes
    Mind Games
    Foreshadow (vs. decktop tutors)
    Sleight of Mind, Magical Hack (vs. color-hosers)

    At worst, you could use Gatherer to list the extended-legal green and blue
    instants.

Games Video Games