Lost All But 3 of WinXP Fonts. HELP!

ganymede

Earlier this evening I was using a program called System Mechanic which is
supposed to clean up your system, remove unnecessary files, fix broken short
cuts, etc. Well, after running this program, all the fonts on my desktop
disappeared and was replaced by symbols and gibberish. Nothing on the
desktop is readable. The same is true of all dislog boxes, windows, and
menus. I checked the Windows Fonts directory and it appears still intack but
obviously the OS doesn't seem to know that. I did a registry restore but
that didn't solve the problem. What do I do now short of reinstalling XP?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:EECB9C8F-7FEA-4F86-99F2-72E38B0DC580@microsoft.com,
ganymede <ganymede@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Earlier this evening I was using a program called System Mechanic
> which is supposed to clean up your system, remove unnecessary files,
> fix broken short cuts, etc. Well, after running this program, all
> the fonts on my desktop disappeared and was replaced by symbols and
> gibberish. Nothing on the desktop is readable. The same is true of
> all dislog boxes, windows, and menus. I checked the Windows Fonts
> directory and it appears still intack but obviously the OS doesn't
> seem to know that. I did a registry restore but that didn't solve
> the problem. What do I do now short of reinstalling XP?

Try using the full restore capability with Windows. Start > Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > Restore

Or just start > run > and copy/paste this in:
%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Don't use System Mechanic to find and remove duplicate files unless you're
very careful.

Galen

As Galen has told you how you might recover, I will just add that the font
you are seeing is called 'Martlett'.. cool, eh :)

Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ganymede" <ganymede@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Earlier this evening I was using a program called System Mechanic which is
> supposed to clean up your system, remove unnecessary files, fix broken
> short
> cuts, etc. Well, after running this program, all the fonts on my desktop
> disappeared and was replaced by symbols and gibberish. Nothing on the
> desktop is readable. The same is true of all dislog boxes, windows, and
> menus. I checked the Windows Fonts directory and it appears still intack
> but
> obviously the OS doesn't seem to know that. I did a registry restore but
> that didn't solve the problem. What do I do now short of reinstalling XP?

I'm having the same problem. I can reinstall fonts but as soon as I close the
font folder the fonts vanish. System Restore reports that there "Have been no
changes to your computer" so that didn't work. Please help :(