WinXP_SP2 Quick Launch Bar size problem

March 13, 2005 2:04:31 PM

My Quick Launch Bar settings are somehow corrupted when I exit WinXP. I have
7 icons in the Quick Launch Bar, placed in a certain order. Sometimes (NOT
always!) after rebooting or shutting down - restarting the PC, I find the
Quick Launch Bar reduced to the default size (to fit 5 icons only) and the
order of the icons is the one in which the corresponding programs have been
installed (not the one I previously set).

I had this problem with WinXP SP1 too, but my sysem got "healed" after I
installed SP2. I couldn't spot the program after whose installation the
problem re-occured. I do think my settings are messed with when I exit
WinXP, as some time ago, under SP1, I used to hear an alert sound like the
one when an error occures while the system was saving whatever it saves
after Start-TurnOffComputer-TurnOff/Restart. No error message was displayed,
no error event was logged. Each time I heard this sound I knew the Quick
Launch Bar will have to be set again after restarting the computer. The
audible alert mentioned does NOT appear any longer, but still the Quick
Launch Bar is corrupted from time to time.

As this is a pretty annoying problem, any advice about solving it would be
greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:04:32 PM

Rightclick the taskbar, and use the option to 'lock the taskbar'

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Teodor Leonte" <leontet@xnet.ro> wrote in message news:o RzLuu6JFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> My Quick Launch Bar settings are somehow corrupted when I exit WinXP. I have 7 icons in the Quick Launch Bar, placed in a certain
> order. Sometimes (NOT always!) after rebooting or shutting down - restarting the PC, I find the Quick Launch Bar reduced to the
> default size (to fit 5 icons only) and the order of the icons is the one in which the corresponding programs have been installed
> (not the one I previously set).
>
> I had this problem with WinXP SP1 too, but my sysem got "healed" after I installed SP2. I couldn't spot the program after whose
> installation the problem re-occured. I do think my settings are messed with when I exit WinXP, as some time ago, under SP1, I used
> to hear an alert sound like the one when an error occures while the system was saving whatever it saves after
> Start-TurnOffComputer-TurnOff/Restart. No error message was displayed, no error event was logged. Each time I heard this sound I
> knew the Quick Launch Bar will have to be set again after restarting the computer. The audible alert mentioned does NOT appear any
> longer, but still the Quick Launch Bar is corrupted from time to time.
>
> As this is a pretty annoying problem, any advice about solving it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:11:53 AM

The taskbar IS locked all the time! Every time the described problem occurs,
I use to unlock the taskbar, resize the Quick Launch Bar, rearrange the
contained icons, lock the taskbar, open the Preferences window and save the
settings.

BTW, if there is no solution for my problem, I would be satisfied it I could
automatize the above mentioned steps. I suppose the Quick Launch Bar
Settings are saved somewhere in the registry. If someone could teach me
where these settings are saved, I could try to create a .REG file to
automatically correct the problem.

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rightclick the taskbar, and use the option to 'lock the taskbar'
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Teodor Leonte" <leontet@xnet.ro> wrote in message
> news:o RzLuu6JFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> My Quick Launch Bar settings are somehow corrupted when I exit WinXP. I
>> have 7 icons in the Quick Launch Bar, placed in a certain order.
>> Sometimes (NOT always!) after rebooting or shutting down - restarting the
>> PC, I find the Quick Launch Bar reduced to the default size (to fit 5
>> icons only) and the order of the icons is the one in which the
>> corresponding programs have been installed (not the one I previously
>> set).
>>
>> I had this problem with WinXP SP1 too, but my sysem got "healed" after I
>> installed SP2. I couldn't spot the program after whose installation the
>> problem re-occured. I do think my settings are messed with when I exit
>> WinXP, as some time ago, under SP1, I used to hear an alert sound like
>> the one when an error occures while the system was saving whatever it
>> saves after Start-TurnOffComputer-TurnOff/Restart. No error message was
>> displayed, no error event was logged. Each time I heard this sound I knew
>> the Quick Launch Bar will have to be set again after restarting the
>> computer. The audible alert mentioned does NOT appear any longer, but
>> still the Quick Launch Bar is corrupted from time to time.
>>
>> As this is a pretty annoying problem, any advice about solving it would
>> be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

March 14, 2005 12:11:54 AM

I would try a new profile (user id) and copy the data if that one works well.

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

--

"Teodor Leonte" <leontet@xnet.ro> wrote in message news:%23soeUCAKFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The taskbar IS locked all the time! Every time the described problem occurs, I use to unlock the taskbar, resize the Quick Launch
> Bar, rearrange the contained icons, lock the taskbar, open the Preferences window and save the settings.
>
> BTW, if there is no solution for my problem, I would be satisfied it I could automatize the above mentioned steps. I suppose the
> Quick Launch Bar Settings are saved somewhere in the registry. If someone could teach me where these settings are saved, I could
> try to create a .REG file to automatically correct the problem.
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eh4DA99JFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Rightclick the taskbar, and use the option to 'lock the taskbar'
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Teodor Leonte" <leontet@xnet.ro> wrote in message news:o RzLuu6JFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> My Quick Launch Bar settings are somehow corrupted when I exit WinXP. I have 7 icons in the Quick Launch Bar, placed in a
>>> certain order. Sometimes (NOT always!) after rebooting or shutting down - restarting the PC, I find the Quick Launch Bar reduced
>>> to the default size (to fit 5 icons only) and the order of the icons is the one in which the corresponding programs have been
>>> installed (not the one I previously set).
>>>
>>> I had this problem with WinXP SP1 too, but my sysem got "healed" after I installed SP2. I couldn't spot the program after whose
>>> installation the problem re-occured. I do think my settings are messed with when I exit WinXP, as some time ago, under SP1, I
>>> used to hear an alert sound like the one when an error occures while the system was saving whatever it saves after
>>> Start-TurnOffComputer-TurnOff/Restart. No error message was displayed, no error event was logged. Each time I heard this sound I
>>> knew the Quick Launch Bar will have to be set again after restarting the computer. The audible alert mentioned does NOT appear
>>> any longer, but still the Quick Launch Bar is corrupted from time to time.
>>>
>>> As this is a pretty annoying problem, any advice about solving it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:18:56 AM

The taskbar IS locked all the time! Every time the described problem occurs,
I use to unlock the taskbar, resize the Quick Launch Bar, rearrange the
contained icons, lock the taskbar, open the Preferences window and save the
settings.

BTW, if there is no solution for my problem, I would be satisfied it I could
automatize the above mentioned steps. I suppose the Quick Launch Bar
Settings are saved somewhere in the registry. If someone could teach me
where these settings are saved, I could try to create a .REG file to
automatically correct the problem.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:31:56 AM

Sorry for re-posting my last message...

I shall try creating a new profile and copy my actual profile data into it.
But in the meantime, can't you by any chance indicate the places in the
Windows Registry where the Quick Launch Bar settings are stored? Even if I
won't get any reply to this question, thank you very much for the already
supplied assistance!
!