That went better (was: Little bit of frustration playing a..

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Don't think I posted my previous message correctly, so here it is again...
And an addition: think I will also add Blaze and/or Flamebreak.

Hi,

Yesterday's battle was a lot better.
In the first two battles I played with a little bit modified deck. Added
some blue, removed some green. Added three whispersilk cloaks. Worked
somewhat better but still lost both times. My deck consisted of 65 cards.
Then I decided to concentrate even more on the cards you mentioned (and I
have). Removed 6 cards (mostly green) and added one extra Vex (blue: counter
target spell).
That immediately showed that less cards can be a lot better (or I was having
more luck).

This is my new deck:

green:
1x Vine Trellis
1x Fyndhorn Elder
1x Nantuko Disciple
1x Canopy Spider
2x Giant Spider
2x Spitting Spider
1x Rhox
2x Thorn Elemental
1x Tanglewalker
2x Giant Growth works well in combination with spiders or as preparation
before casting Inferno
2x Rampant Growth
4x Naturalize - he hates them, so that good too (grin)
1x Lure - nice for when my biggies are in the game
1x Wing Snare
2x Nourish (very cheap life gaining: GG: you gain 6 life)

white:
2x Aven Cloudchaser (for the 'whenever .. comes into play, destroy target
enchantment')
1x Circle of Protection: White
1x Pulse of the Fields - he hates this one too.
1x Beacon of Immortality (double total life and shuffle back into library)

blue:
1x Puppeteer (B,tap: tap or untap target creature). Worked VERY good in the
beginning of the thirth game.
1x Flash Counter (nice, but very restrictive, only good for instants)
2x Remove Soul
2x Vex (target spell controller may draw card, but at least not expensive
and not for one specific type)
1x Condescend

red:
1x Flashfires
1x Inferno

other:
3x Whispersilk Cloak
6x forest
2x plain
2x mountain
3x island
1x great furnace (for the fun)
1x ancient den (for when I wanne cast the flashfires)
ALL the dualcolor lands I have:
2x Elfhame Palace
1x Shivan Oasis
1x Costal Tower

The Nantuko Disciple worked very good when my opponent didn't had/use so
much creatures with abilities, now it seems almost useless.
Tanglewalker was an experiment, didn't draw it in any of the three games we
played. Maybe change this for another blue counter or maybe something like
Rampant Growth.
I could enhance it more by swapping some cards for more blue counter spells
and maybe another cloak.
Also a Isochron Scepter could give interesting results.
And I am not sure about the nourish.. ok, it's a cheap life saver but could
use better cards.. don't know yet if I should keep them...
And, yes, I am still puzzling about a combination with black... need more
dual/multicolor lands I guess :)

Regards,
Marcel

Doyle

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> green:
> 1x Vine Trellis G1
> 1x Fyndhorn Elder G2
> 1x Nantuko Disciple G3
> 1x Canopy Spider G1
> 2x Giant Spider G3
> 2x Spitting Spider GG3
> 1x Rhox GG4
> 2x Thorn Elemental GG5
> 1x Tanglewalker G2
12
> 2x Giant Growth G
> 2x Rampant Growth G1
> 4x Naturalize G1
> 1x Lure GG1
> 1x Wing Snare G2
> 2x Nourish GG
10

2
3
1
6

2

3

> 6x forest
> 2x plain
> 2x mountain
> 3x island
> 1x great furnace
> 1x ancient den
> 2x Elfhame Palace
> 1x Shivan Oasis
> 1x Costal Tower
12+2+1 = 15 creatures
10+3+6+2+3 = 24 non-creatures
19 Land

There are a lot of things that I would do to improve your deck. I
realize that you don't have a lot of cards, but I'll make most of my
suggestions in the form of common and some uncommon cards that you
should be able to pick up.

1) Add more land.
19 land is much to few to play in a 60 card deck. At the barest
minimum you should be playing 22 land. In this deck where you have
four colors (we'll get to that in a second), you need a lot more.
Ideally you'll play 24 or more lands. In some ways you can count
things like Rampant growth and Vine Trellis as lands, but not that
much.
I would recommend 24 land.

2) Strip one or more colors.
As you may have noticed when cutting your deck down from its original
size, the smaller your deck is (while still being legal), the more
likely it is to do what you want it to do. The same principle applies
to colors. A single color deck is more consistent than a two color
deck; a two color deck is more consistent than a three; a three than a
four. It may mean that your deck can't do everything, but the things
that it will do will happen more often and more reliably.
In this particular case, I would recommend cutting blue and red.

3) Play more creatures.
Creatures are your most efficient source of damage. And they can block
too. Plus they are frequently the target (7/24 in your deck) of your
non-creature spells. So play more of them.

Cutting blue and red leaves:

> green:
> 1x Vine Trellis G1
> 1x Fyndhorn Elder G2
> 1x Nantuko Disciple G3
> 1x Canopy Spider G1
> 2x Giant Spider G3
> 2x Spitting Spider GG3
> 1x Rhox GG4
> 2x Thorn Elemental GG5
> 1x Tanglewalker G2
12
> 2x Giant Growth G
> 2x Rampant Growth G1
> 4x Naturalize G1
> 1x Lure GG1
> 1x Wing Snare G2
> 2x Nourish GG
10

3
3

> 6x forest
> 2x plain
> 1x ancient den
> 2x Elfhame Palace

14 creatures + 16 non-creatures + 11 land = 41 cards.

Assuming that you want 24 land,
14 creatures + 16 non-creatures + 24 land = 54 cards.

So we can add six more creatures. Master decoy is good. Glory Seeker
is cheap. Leonin Skyhunter is good. That gives us:

> green:
> 1x Vine Trellis G1
> 1x Fyndhorn Elder G2
> 1x Nantuko Disciple G3
> 1x Canopy Spider G1
> 2x Giant Spider G3
> 2x Spitting Spider GG3
> 1x Rhox GG4
> 2x Thorn Elemental GG5
> 1x Tanglewalker G2
12
> 2x Giant Growth G
> 2x Rampant Growth G1
> 4x Naturalize G1
> 1x Lure GG1
> 1x Wing Snare G2
> 2x Nourish GG
10

> white:
> 2x Aven Cloudchaser W3
1 x Leonin Skyhunter WW (FD-U)
2 x Glory Seeker W1 (8E-C)
3 x Master Decoy W1 (8E-C)
8
3
3

> 14 x forest
> 7x plain
> 1x ancient den
> 2x Elfhame Palace
24

This version should be more consistent than your previous version.
There are still a number of issues to be addressed (how much life can
you expect to have before you cast your Beacon? Who is it that you
wanted to Lure in the first place?), but give this version a whirl.

mypetrock