• After the first service pack!
  • 3 %
a c 401 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2009 10:54:30 PM

Will you make the switch to windows 7!

More about : make switch

a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2009 11:51:31 PM

No, there's simply no compelling reason for me to upgrade from either Vista or XP on my 7 desk- and lap-tops.

But I like it, and will enthusiastically use it whenever a fresh install is in order.
August 23, 2009 11:54:31 PM

I did yesterday, I'm never looking back.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2009 12:01:17 AM

What upgrade?!?!? Already running RTM.
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2009 4:22:24 AM

I didn't think there was a compelling reason to upgrade either... until I saw the preorder discounts. So I've got Home coming for the laptop and Pro for the desktop. Fifty percent off on Windows was just too good to pass up.
August 24, 2009 4:34:43 AM

Already running it, love it.

Fully recommended to anyone not running Linux or OSX...

Google Enhancemyse7en for a free program to tweak Windows 7 :) 

Although to be honest if you know your way around the services snap in or the registry you probably know half the tweaks anyway :)  (still faster to do it with this tool thing)
August 24, 2009 4:41:27 AM

I got Professional for $16, I have little reason not to switch.
August 24, 2009 5:19:25 AM

randomizer said:
I got Professional for $16, I have little reason not to switch.

Now THATS a good price.... How many copies did you say you could buy ?.... lol
August 24, 2009 8:38:55 AM

Only one. Got it through MSDNAA. I used to wait for my university to get MSDNAA keys but they're too slow and always end up giving me the EU-adjusted software. So I subscribed to IEEE during the 50% off period (for $16) and within a week or so I had direct access to MSDNAA myself.
August 24, 2009 11:03:30 AM

I am a Technet subscriber so I have already made the switch.
a c 401 $ Windows 7
August 30, 2009 2:27:06 PM

my rtm from technet/ windows 7 ultimate/is running flawless/games and all apps,my nero 9 is shaky but the nero 9 windows 7 release is coming mid october!
August 30, 2009 8:33:43 PM

I use Roxio 9 with no problems on W7. For a RC its as good as they come.

I bought Vista Ultimate OEM with no upgrade coupon and didn't open it. After I bought it I was like "shoot! W7 is free!!" lol

Good thing for eBay! Only lost $5
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2009 9:11:22 PM

Already running Win 7 on 3 of my PCs, and office 2007:) 

"FREE Technet" subscription. What on earth will I ever do with all these Product kes for all of MS software.
August 30, 2009 11:38:29 PM

I already am. Using the RC1 since it got free. Some glithces byt never looking back. x64 ofc.
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2009 12:14:24 AM

I had quite a few glitches on rc, but since i got RTM retail, not one problem. Seems quite a bit faster then RC as well, cant wait to get SSD.
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2009 12:28:47 AM

been running since the first beta came out when the RC came out i switched that
a c 401 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2009 2:12:41 AM

yes the rtm is quicker and more stable i agree!
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2009 2:23:44 AM

I ran the RC on my backup / test system for a month, and had no troubles, so I switched my primary to the RC also. No problems so far. I only had one compatibility issue with an old image management program (Firehand Ember), now an orphan, so I ditched it for Picasa3.
August 31, 2009 4:59:33 PM

I am switching because XP will be EOL soon and vista is too bulky at the moment. I run win7 at work and at home without any issues.

They made up for their mistakes with vista.
August 31, 2009 6:03:56 PM

Been running Win7 for several months now works great with everything even office 2010.
September 1, 2009 4:12:29 PM

Absolutely. Win7 has made media sharing through my HTPC to the rest of my house terribly easy, and that means a lot to me.
September 1, 2009 7:56:29 PM

i just installed 7 (RC 7100) yesterday on my notebook, its a few years old, compairing it to my gfs laptop, im running a core duo 1.6 with 1 gig of ram, shes running a brand new sony vio with c2d 2ghz and 4gb ram, my notebook flys by hers without a doubt, will diffently buy it when the full retail version comes out cause other then a few querks here and there, its amazing
September 1, 2009 8:00:44 PM

soundefx said:
I am switching because XP will be EOL soon and vista is too bulky at the moment. I run win7 at work and at home without any issues.

They made up for their mistakes with vista.

they have a habbit of doing that, windows ME sucked then xp was awesome, now vista sucks, and 7 will be there best yet
September 1, 2009 11:45:55 PM

Vista doesn't suck if you put it in the same sentence as Me. In fact, it's almost perfect.
September 3, 2009 1:40:14 AM

windows ME, as in Millennim Edition......

you really havent been around that long have you, lol
September 3, 2009 1:44:35 AM

I knew exactly what you were talking about. I used Windows Me (it's actually a lower-case 'e') for at least 2 years and anyone who has used it for that long knows that Vista can not be compared to the abomination that was Me.
September 3, 2009 4:26:33 AM

im not compairing, i just noticed the trend from bad os to good, me-bad xp-good vista-bad 7-good, on my current notebook i am running xp home, vista home premium and 7 ultimate rc, all 32bit os on a partitioned drive, vista sucks compaired to the other 2, hence almost everyone downgrading back to xp, i also ran me when it first came out like 6-7 years ago, i ran it for about 2 months and went back to 98.

but not to get off topic......

i love 7, ill be using the rc untill it expires then buy the final release on ebay or something, the first service pack should be available by then (june 2010)
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2009 6:52:06 AM

Honestly, having used Vista since pre-SP1, it isn't bad. You could make a case that XP was better in certain limited cases, but on the whole, I definitely prefer Vista to Xp. To compare it to millenium edition in any way is clear evidence that either you've never used ME, or you were about the luckiest person on the planet to have it work as well as Vista. 7 is great, and I'll be switching over pretty much as soon as it comes out.
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2009 3:42:37 PM

When I've had to deal with Vista on someone else's PC, it has been an irritant. Windows 7 has had only one or two anomalies, like some old folder names that don't "really" exist (why you get "access denied" even as an Administrator).

I must have been lucky with Me; loading it fixed a problem I'd been having with 98.
September 3, 2009 3:58:22 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't upgrade to 7 if you're running Vista, especially if you're using a laptop. Latest Tom's article suggests running Windows 7 can increase battery life by over 1 hour. It might look like Vista, but it really is a much different OS.
September 3, 2009 11:23:42 PM

Onus said:

I must have been lucky with Me; loading it fixed a problem I'd been having with 98.

To be honest I ran Windows Me until XP leaked.... I never looked back though.

Me was ok but you really had to know your hardware and having a Dos boot disk around for emergencies... also a CD with as many files as you could cram on it lol

Loved the System Restore feature and for that I will always remember it as being slightly better then the plague lol

Looking at my holographic Me disk right now, someday I may sell it on eBay lol

Edit: By holographic I mean the disk is all crazy looking not that I time traveled back from the future to 1999 with a holographic disk version of Me lol
September 4, 2009 3:27:02 AM

i have the original Me disk as well. Definitely pretty cool-looking. The only thing I liked about Me was that it had Mass Storage Drivers installed by default. System Restore never worked for me. Also, I used vanilla Me as the PC had no Internet access to get updates.
September 4, 2009 12:34:57 PM

randomizer said:
i have the original Me disk as well. Definitely pretty cool-looking. The only thing I liked about Me was that it had Mass Storage Drivers installed by default. System Restore never worked for me. Also, I used vanilla Me as the PC had no Internet access to get updates.

Holy crap system restore would not work for you ? (well to be honest if it was a driver issue including ye olde vxd's I do not think system restore would work on them) System restore on Me was at best a 50/50 shot but it was kick ass when it worked, saved me a bunch of time in Dos.... but it showed the potential and now we have system restore that works like 80% of the time ? I have not had to use it in so long.

I wonder what all is covered by it, I know program files are mostly untouched but how much of the core system is able to be rolled back ?

Especially in 7 I have not even seen what it looks like, I doubt its any different though.
September 4, 2009 1:31:50 PM

Programs and registry are both backed up I think. I know that it saved me when on Vista x64 I had an old unsigned StarForce DRM driver install itself that prevented Vista booting in all modes except Last Known Good Configuration. I then rolled back a day or two and the problem disappeared. It is not a feature to be underestimated, even though so many people disable it.
September 4, 2009 6:24:36 PM

Already have! I use W7 as my main OS and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Finally, a real successor to XP.
September 4, 2009 6:30:41 PM

randomizer said:
Programs and registry are both backed up I think. I know that it saved me when on Vista x64 I had an old unsigned StarForce DRM driver install itself that prevented Vista booting in all modes except Last Known Good Configuration. I then rolled back a day or two and the problem disappeared. It is not a feature to be underestimated, even though so many people disable it.

I just tried out Windows 7 back up, I did not know that 7 comes with a full back up software solution...

Not sure how good it works but it backed up my whole hard drive in like 5 minutes.
It also made a rescue boot CD/DVD for me so I could access the drive.

I used a blank DVD but after looking at it the files only take up like 160 MB's so if a DVD is cheaper use that but if a CD is cheaper use one of those... lol

So combined with system restore and my whole HD backed up, I honestly feel pretty secure :) 

I have to say if people are even thinking about switching to 7 I would recommend it with out hesitation, Microsoft hit this one out of the park.

Edit: One thing to note it took me 5 minutes to back up my hard drive but I have 3 drives installed and this was a back up from one SATA drive to another SATA so to everyone else your back up time may vary !

It also gives you the option to back up your hard drive to multiple DVD's or CD's (I think it said CD's)
September 5, 2009 12:10:35 AM

Backup your HDD to optical disk? That would take forever!
September 5, 2009 3:36:48 AM

randomizer said:
Backup your HDD to optical disk? That would take forever!

I used to pull it off on XP but I think Vista and 7 make that too much pain even when compressed. I think XP I was at like 4 DVD's and that did take a long time (no it was not just XP it was also a collection of what I considered essential tools and programs but all freshly installed)

These days I use either an external hard drive or my personal favorite a spare internal hard drive :) 
September 5, 2009 3:52:11 PM

Best thing since xp sp1, actually even better than osx(havent tried sno leopard yet, so dont quote me on this)
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2009 11:17:58 PM

Anything is better than being beholden to Apple's whims.
!