Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Alternate-win Champions block deck

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 4:14:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I'm working on a Campions-block deck to win by forcing my opponent to run out
of his library. It seems there are a couple decent cards to do this, although
I don't know if this could be a feasible deck what with all the fast
commons and uncommons in this block, but there are a couple cards I thought
might be fun to put together.

Any idea for improvements would be greatly appreciated


//Creatures
2 Lantern Kami
4 Kabuto Moth
4 River Kaijin
4 Kami of Old Stone
4 Teller of Tales

//Spells
4 Dampen Thoughts
2 Call to Glory
3 Psychic Puppetry
3 Consuming Vortex
4 Reach Through Mists
//Artifacts
3 Hair-Strung Koto
3 Long-Forgotten Gohei

//Land
13 Island
7 Plain

Basically, deplete your opponent's library. The key is to get a couple Teller
of Tales out so you can tap w/ the Koto, and then untap creatures by playing
something like a Vortex with a Dampen Thoughts spliced onto it. Even playing
something like a simple Lantern Kami will allow you to untap some more cards,
to fuel the koto, which is the goal.

Seems like this deck could really benefit from either some tokens, or some
faster drawing, but I'm not sure how to get that going. The Reach Through
Mists are meant to try to drive that aspect, but it seems that more blocking
(the Kami and River are supposed to fill this purpose) is needed for
protection while you deplete the opponent's library.

thanks,
K

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:27:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Kevin <Kevin@astroturfgarden.com> wrote in message

> //Creatures
> 2 Lantern Kami
> 4 Kabuto Moth
> 4 River Kaijin
> 4 Kami of Old Stone
> 4 Teller of Tales
>
> //Spells
> 4 Dampen Thoughts
> 2 Call to Glory
> 3 Psychic Puppetry
> 3 Consuming Vortex
> 4 Reach Through Mists
> //Artifacts
> 3 Hair-Strung Koto
> 3 Long-Forgotten Gohei
>
> //Land
> 13 Island
> 7 Plain
>
> Basically, deplete your opponent's library. The key is to get a couple Teller
> of Tales out so you can tap w/ the Koto, and then untap creatures by playing
> something like a Vortex with a Dampen Thoughts spliced onto it. Even playing
> something like a simple Lantern Kami will allow you to untap some more cards,
> to fuel the koto, which is the goal.


Add green to your deck to provide lots of spirit tokens to tap to the
Koto using the Zubera and the Honden, use the white and blue zuberas
and hondens to amplify this effect. Use ghostly prison to slow down
your opponent. Put Hikari, Twilight Guardian in for more defense and
an extra untap. Put Sakura Tribe elder , and Komoda's Reach in for
mana acceleration. Use Hana Kami to pull Call to Glory out of the
graveyard to use again.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:54:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of zelf gale, volume 23:

> Add green to your deck to provide lots of spirit tokens to tap to the
> Koto using the Zubera and the Honden, use the white and blue zuberas
> and hondens to amplify this effect.

Better yet, add Intruder Alarm and ditch the clunky Teller. Milling goes a
lot faster when the Fender Kotocaster has "Whenever you put a creature into
play, target opponent puts X cards from the top of his library into his
graveyard, where X is the number of creatures you control" written on it.

Incidentally, when activating Hair-Strung Koto it is compulsory to do an
air-guitar power chord (complete with BWAANG! sound effect).

--
Who the f--k are you calling insolent?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 1:03:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On 2004-11-02, David Chapman <jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Better yet, add Intruder Alarm and ditch the clunky Teller. Milling goes a

I was trying to keep the deck block, just to see what I could do with it, and
because I don't have many cards from the last few groups of sets and am just
getting back into Magic. Intruder Alarm, however, is an awesome ideas.
Teller was working pretty well if I could get 2 or so out, but I'll start
looking outside the block for some cards and will definitely put my Intruders
from Stronghold into the deck. With that, the low-cost creatures will have an
even better effect on the deck.

> Incidentally, when activating Hair-Strung Koto it is compulsory to do an
> air-guitar power chord (complete with BWAANG! sound effect).

Nice, sounds like it should have been in the unglued or the new unbound set.
If you do the power riff, your opponent should have to move an additional
card.

Intruder Alarm
{2}{U}
Enchantment
Creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.
Whenever a creature comes into play, untap all creatures.

BWANG!
K

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net
!