9500 and agp bus speeds

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I just got my 9500np the other day..

I am running it on a 440bx board...it seems that this gpu just cannot take agp bus speeds caused by overclocking...i am sure it is the card...at 133 mhz fsb (89mhz agp) the card will not post...or sometimes it does with extremely weird graphic anomalies (such as blue and purple, instead of grey letters durring post)...then i put my rage pro in...and i can post at 155mhz fsb (103mhz agp bus) just fine...

Is there anything i could do to help this problem?

I have tried increasing the agp bus voltage with no avail..

i disabled fast writes...same problem...

I am about ready to dump this card...i am really suprised that my old card could take such high bus speeds and this one cannot!

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 08/16/03 06:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Doh! My GeForce2 GTS and my Radeon DDR ran fine with AGP up to 100MHz! But I've heard of newer cards not doing so well!

I'll take that card off your hands for $20. I'd give you more, but I'd already have to do some pretty undersirable things just to get that much money.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
my exact words...

I installed the card...had the overclocked pII in it at the time (140mhz fsb) connected everything turned it on...no post...First thing i thought was....DOH!...forgot to look around and see if it could cope with a high bus speed....

Anyhow...i am in the process or researching a pll mod so that maybe i could lock the bus speed?

I have all the materials...i have a dead 440bx that i could pawn all the parts off of...and i am pretty good at soldering...i just gotta know...

On a 440bx board...is the agp bus taken from the fsb or the pci bus?

I am thinking it is from the fsb...

if you have any info or ideas about such a mod...i would be glad to hear your input...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
also do you think doing a volt mod to the vpu would help?

I don't really think so...and i am running out of ideas...but i want to clock my cpu to 146fsb while using this vpu...i will find a way!

I got a pretty good chip actually...it will post at 155 fsb with 1.75 volts...but freezes during the windows splash screen (this is with the rage pro)

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
im assuming you cant change the AGP/FSB ratio?

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The chipset only supports 1/1 and 2/3 AGP ratios, I don't know of any workarounds, even Abit failed to provide a workaround on their BX133-RAID, which was the most modern BX board.

The PCI divider support is 1/2, 1/3, 1/4. I believe the 1/4 divider was intended to allow for older 25MHz PCI cards, but it's used by most BX'ers as the proper ratio for the 133MHz FSB.

Both ratios are taken from the FSB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it was my idea to use a second pll and quartz crystal to affix the pci bus...but looks like that will not effect the fsb...

Seems to me like the divider is off of the fsb and probably intigrated into the bx chipset...i remember reading about a way some japanese overclocker had found a way to lock the bus...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah it seems to be a trend, with geforce2 and 3 series cards able to handle insane agp speeds, but latter cards being more picky.

Not suprising really given the increased speeds and higher complexity of the cards.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you could find any info like that, you would be an overclocking gawd, and even I would pay homage.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
damn that sucks

same problem im running into.. my O'C is limited to 147 fsb because my damn AGP is locked ... i have no 1/5 multiplier on this KT333 board.

what REALLY sucks is most other KT333 boards DO have it, like the Epox version .. mine is Aopen. Damn Aopen sucks arse

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mwooo haa haa haa
*gets the opportunity to tease Phial again*

mesa got a nice epoxy 8k3a+ (KT333) and i allways run at 167fsb :tongue:

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I wonder if fredi could make my title...

Official overclocking god of THGC...oo that would be sweet...

Ok time to research...gotta find a workaround...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I think i have found a workaround...it can be implimented in many ways...

ok here goes...

There are 3 pins of importance...

GCLKO (agp clock out, on 440bx chipst)
GCLKI (AGP clock in, also on 440bx chipset)

CLK (pin B7 on AGP slot)

Ok what i am thinking is...getting a 66mhz xtal oscilator and modding either one of these pins to run at 66mhz...

I think the best 1 to mod would be the GCLKI...however it is almost impossible as the 440bx chip is surface mount and i have no way of accessing it...

So i was thinking of...insulating the CLK pin of the agp card...and soldering a xtal oscillator into that circut...thus it should put my AGP bus at 66mhz (or whatever i make the oscilator's frequency)...

But there could be problems that i have to research...

Will the host AGP bus still be running X mhz and the agp card think that it is running 66mhz...could this cause a malfunction...

Also...to the best of my knowledge these are the only pins that have to do with agp timmings...i am wondering if i manually alter 1 of these pins if the rest of the I/O pins will follow this timming?

I would really like to find a way to mod the GCLKI however i think it is just going to be too hard to get to...

Anyone have any input? Anyone think i have totally lost my mind?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
also if anyone on these forums knows anything about and/or where to get crystal oscilators (or other simple timming chips) i would like to hear your input...

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
mesa got a nice epoxy 8k3a+ (KT333) and i allways run at 167fsb

thats the one i was talking about!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!!

you have the same chipset as me. but i cant run taht high because of the agp multiplier lock...

*jumps on lhgpoobaa and pulls his hair out*

-------

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe.
167fsb is very stable too. which is good cauz ive allways had stability issues when pushing my PCI bus speeds.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Stop fighting over your petty equiptment. Nforce 2 is teh roxor!

I can run 215 fsb on my a7n8x, with slightly relaxed memory timings (and a lowered cpu multiplier).

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd