Strange wallpaper problem

I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
preview or the desktop itself.

I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
is screwed somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
11 answers Last reply
More about strange wallpaper problem

    Hi Marjay,

    Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    > preview or the desktop itself.
    >
    > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
    > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
    > is screwed somehow.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks for your reply, but that did not solve the problem. I also note
    that when I point my mouse at the menu bar, the items highlight, but
    stay highlighted after the mouse leaves them... probably not related
    but there is definately something going on.

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:03:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Marjay,
    >
    >Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

    I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    preview or the desktop itself.

    I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
    have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
    is screwed somehow.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
    to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing a
    new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
    restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.

    The commands listed do not work.

    Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
    Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.

    I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
    this is relevant.

    --
    Neil

    Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

    | Hi Marjay,
    |
    | Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    | http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    |
    | --
    | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP Shell/User
    | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    |

    | "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    | > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    | > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    | > preview or the desktop itself.
    | >
    | > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    | > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and
    | > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    | > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
    entry
    | > is screwed somehow.
    | >
    | > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    marjay,

    Have you tried the command from Administrator login?

    --

    > Thanks for your reply, but that did not solve the problem. I also note
    > that when I point my mouse at the menu bar, the items highlight, but
    > stay highlighted after the mouse leaves them... probably not related
    > but there is definately something going on.
    >

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:03:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Marjay,
    >>
    >>Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >>http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >

    > I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    > preview or the desktop itself.
    >
    > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
    > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
    > is screwed somehow.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:

    Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to Windows
    Fax and Picture Viewer.
    Right click on the image.
    Select Set as Windows background.

    --

    "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    |I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
    | to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing
    | new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
    | restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
    |
    | The commands listed do not work.
    |
    | Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
    | Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
    |
    | I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
    | this is relevant.
    |
    | --
    | Neil
    |
    | Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    dot)

    | "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    || Hi Marjay,
    || Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    || http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    || --
    || Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    || Windows XP Shell/User
    || http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    || "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    || >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    || > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    || > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    || > preview or the desktop itself.
    || >
    || > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    || > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and
    and
    || > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    || > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
    | entry
    || > is screwed somehow.
    || >
    || > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Neil,
    Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    \Software
    \Microsoft
    \Windows
    \CurrentVersion
    \Policies
    \Explorer

    Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
    right-pane
    Close Registry Editor

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    >I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
    > to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing a
    > new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
    > restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
    >
    > The commands listed do not work.
    >
    > Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
    > Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
    >
    > I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
    > this is relevant.
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    >
    > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

    > | Hi Marjay,
    > |
    > | Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    > | http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    > |
    > | --
    > | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > | Windows XP Shell/User
    > | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > |

    > | "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
    > | > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
    > | > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
    > | > preview or the desktop itself.
    > | >
    > | > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
    > | > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and
    > | > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
    > | > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
    > entry
    > | > is screwed somehow.
    > | >
    > | > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    ramesh:

    well, that worked for me... NoActiveDesktopChanges was not there
    though. Any idea how this happened??? Do you need Active Desktop on to
    allow .jpg wallpaper to view and how do you set it on??

    thanks again
    Rich Philips

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:40:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Neil,
    >Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    >Navigate to the following key:
    >
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > \Software
    > \Microsoft
    > \Windows
    > \CurrentVersion
    > \Policies
    > \Explorer
    >
    >Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
    >right-pane
    >Close Registry Editor

    You're welcome. Yes, that's one of the causes marjay.

    --

    > ramesh:
    >
    > well, that worked for me... NoActiveDesktopChanges was not there
    > though. Any idea how this happened??? Do you need Active Desktop on to
    > allow .jpg wallpaper to view and how do you set it on??
    >

    > thanks again
    > Rich Philips
    >
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:40:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Neil,
    >>Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    >>Navigate to the following key:
    >>
    >>HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    >> \Software
    >> \Microsoft
    >> \Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion
    >> \Policies
    >> \Explorer
    >>
    >>Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
    >>right-pane
    >>Close Registry Editor

    Neil,

    If I understand correctly, none of the JPG files are listed in the
    Background tab?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:
    >
    > Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to Windows
    > Fax and Picture Viewer.
    > Right click on the image.
    > Select Set as Windows background.
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    >
    > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)
    >

    > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    > |I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
    > | to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing
    > | new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
    > | restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
    > |
    > | The commands listed do not work.
    > |
    > | Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
    > | Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
    > |
    > | I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
    > | this is relevant.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Neil
    > |
    > | Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    > dot)
    > |

    > | "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > || Hi Marjay,
    > || Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    > || http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    > || --
    > || Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > || Windows XP Shell/User
    > || http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > || "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > and
    > | entry

    They weren't. They are now having deleted the NoActiveDesktop key.

    Yet I was able to reset to a jpeg background before I deleted the key by
    right-clicking the opened image.

    Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

    Neil

    --

    | Neil,
    |
    | If I understand correctly, none of the JPG files are listed in the
    | Background tab?
    |
    | --
    | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP Shell/User
    | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    |

    | "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    | > Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:
    | >
    | > Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to
    Windows
    | > Fax and Picture Viewer.
    | > Right click on the image.
    | > Select Set as Windows background.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Neil
    | >
    | > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    dot)

    | > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    | > |I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the
    image
    | > | to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was
    preparing
    | > | new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I
    cannot
    | > | restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
    | > |
    | > | The commands listed do not work.
    | > |
    | > | Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
    | > | Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
    | > |
    | > | I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2.
    Maybe
    | > | this is relevant.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Neil
    | > |
    | > | Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    | > dot)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > ||
    | > ||
    | > ||
    | > ||

    | > and
    | > | entry

    | > ||
    | > |
    | > |

    You're welcome Neil.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > They weren't. They are now having deleted the NoActiveDesktop key.
    >
    > Yet I was able to reset to a jpeg background before I deleted the key by
    > right-clicking the opened image.
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.
    >
    > Neil
    >

    > --
    > Neil
    >
    > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

    > | Neil,
    > |
    > | If I understand correctly, none of the JPG files are listed in the
    > | Background tab?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > | Windows XP Shell/User
    > | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > |

    > | "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    > | > Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:
    > | >
    > | > Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to
    > Windows
    > | > Fax and Picture Viewer.
    > | > Right click on the image.
    > | > Select Set as Windows background.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Neil
    > | >
    > | > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    > dot)
    > | >

    > | > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    > image
    > preparing