Strange wallpaper problem

March 13, 2005 12:11:16 PM

I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
preview or the desktop itself.

I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
is screwed somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:03:08 PM

Hi Marjay,

Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
> everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
> allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
> preview or the desktop itself.
>
> I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
> lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
> have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
> SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
> is screwed somehow.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:03:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, but that did not solve the problem. I also note
that when I point my mouse at the menu bar, the items highlight, but
stay highlighted after the mouse leaves them... probably not related
but there is definately something going on.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:03:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Marjay,
>
>Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
>http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
preview or the desktop itself.

I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
is screwed somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
March 14, 2005 12:52:48 PM

I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing a
new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.

The commands listed do not work.

Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.

I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
this is relevant.

--
Neil

Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

| Hi Marjay,
|
| Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
| http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
| http://windowsxp.mvps.org
|

| "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
| > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
| > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
| > preview or the desktop itself.
| >
| > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
| > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and
| > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
| > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
entry
| > is screwed somehow.
| >
| > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:14:31 PM

marjay,

Have you tried the command from Administrator login?

--

news:p 6j9311qfmmvabt9dff3bnbkuo1t9ric20@4ax.com...
> Thanks for your reply, but that did not solve the problem. I also note
> that when I point my mouse at the menu bar, the items highlight, but
> stay highlighted after the mouse leaves them... probably not related
> but there is definately something going on.
>

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:03:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi Marjay,
>>
>>Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
>>http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
>

> I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
> everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
> allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
> preview or the desktop itself.
>
> I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
> lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and I
> have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
> SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry entry
> is screwed somehow.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:21:01 PM

Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:

Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to Windows
Fax and Picture Viewer.
Right click on the image.
Select Set as Windows background.

--

"Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
|I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
| to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing
| new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
| restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
|
| The commands listed do not work.
|
| Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
| Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
|
| I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
| this is relevant.
|
| --
| Neil
|
| Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
dot)

| "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
|| Hi Marjay,
|| Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
|| http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
|| --
|| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
|| Windows XP Shell/User
|| http://windowsxp.mvps.org
|| "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|| >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
|| > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
|| > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
|| > preview or the desktop itself.
|| >
|| > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
|| > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and
and
|| > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
|| > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
| entry
|| > is screwed somehow.
|| >
|| > Any help would be greatly appreciated

March 14, 2005 6:40:55 PM

Neil,
Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Policies
\Explorer

Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
right-pane
Close Registry Editor

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
>I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
> to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing a
> new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
> restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
>
> The commands listed do not work.
>
> Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
> Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
>
> I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
> this is relevant.
>
> --
> Neil
>
> Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

> | Hi Marjay,
> |
> | Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
> | http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
> |
> | --
> | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> | Windows XP Shell/User
> | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> |

> | "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | >I went to change my desktop wall paper to a .bmp picture and
> | > everything worked fine. When I went to change it back to a .jpg it
> | > allows me to select the file, but does not display it in either the
> | > preview or the desktop itself.
> | >
> | > I'm running SP2 and I haven't run anything weird on my computer
> | > lately. I'm running Microsoft AntiSpyware, Norton Anti-Virus and and
> | > have also run Ad-Aware and Spybot to check for problems. I also ran
> | > SFC/SCANNOW as per a previous suggestion. My guess is a registry
> entry
> | > is screwed somehow.
> | >
> | > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:40:56 PM

ramesh:

well, that worked for me... NoActiveDesktopChanges was not there
though. Any idea how this happened??? Do you need Active Desktop on to
allow .jpg wallpaper to view and how do you set it on??

thanks again
Rich Philips

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:40:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Neil,
>Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
>Navigate to the following key:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> \Software
> \Microsoft
> \Windows
> \CurrentVersion
> \Policies
> \Explorer
>
>Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
>right-pane
>Close Registry Editor
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:31:28 PM

You're welcome. Yes, that's one of the causes marjay.

--

> ramesh:
>
> well, that worked for me... NoActiveDesktopChanges was not there
> though. Any idea how this happened??? Do you need Active Desktop on to
> allow .jpg wallpaper to view and how do you set it on??
>

> thanks again
> Rich Philips
>
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:40:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Neil,
>>Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
>>Navigate to the following key:
>>
>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>> \Software
>> \Microsoft
>> \Windows
>> \CurrentVersion
>> \Policies
>> \Explorer
>>
>>Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the
>>right-pane
>>Close Registry Editor

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:34:58 PM

Neil,

If I understand correctly, none of the JPG files are listed in the
Background tab?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
news:o H3fwfIKFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:
>
> Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to Windows
> Fax and Picture Viewer.
> Right click on the image.
> Select Set as Windows background.
>
> --
> Neil
>
> Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)
>

> "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
> |I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the image
> | to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was preparing
> | new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I cannot
> | restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
> |
> | The commands listed do not work.
> |
> | Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
> | Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
> |
> | I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2. Maybe
> | this is relevant.
> |
> | --
> | Neil
> |
> | Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
> dot)
> |

> | "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> || Hi Marjay,
> || Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
> || http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
> || --
> || Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> || Windows XP Shell/User
> || http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> || "marjay" <billwill50@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> and
> | entry

March 14, 2005 8:34:59 PM

They weren't. They are now having deleted the NoActiveDesktop key.

Yet I was able to reset to a jpeg background before I deleted the key by
right-clicking the opened image.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

Neil

--

| Neil,
|
| If I understand correctly, none of the JPG files are listed in the
| Background tab?
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
| http://windowsxp.mvps.org
|

| "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
| news:o H3fwfIKFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > Even though the commands didn't work, the following does:
| >
| > Open the jpeg image you want for your display - mine defaults to
Windows
| > Fax and Picture Viewer.
| > Right click on the image.
| > Select Set as Windows background.
| >
| > --
| > Neil
| >
| > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
dot)

| > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
| > |I also have this problem. When I got this computer, I changed the
image
| > | to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\crystal.jpg. Two days ago, I was
preparing
| > | new wallpaper in .bmp format for a client and tested it. Now I
cannot
| > | restore crystal nor any other jpeg files to the desktop.
| > |
| > | The commands listed do not work.
| > |
| > | Searching help for "Active desktop" says that Display
| > | Properties>Customize" should have a Web tab. This is missing.
| > |
| > | I recently upgraded the laptop from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2.
Maybe
| > | this is relevant.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Neil
| > |
| > | Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
| > dot)
| > |
| > |
| > | "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message