Type 1 Deck idea..

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Howdy folks.. I haven't posted in here in a loooooooooooooong time.. man I
remember when I'd ramble incessantly on here and .rules and .misc.. ahhh oh
well. On with the show.

So.. I was talking to some guys in #themanadrain on EFnet a couple days ago,
and wanted to build something that nobody plays in Type 1 but may very well
stand a chance, and do it from scratch as opposed to Netdecking. So, someone
suggested a Stasis deck, and I thought of trying a transformational
sideboard - perhaps to Fish. The first question is, do I play mono-blue or
U/x, and if U/x, what to play as the second colour? Stasis typically plays
best as U/w or UG, whereas Fish is either usually mono or Ur. If someone can
help me with this part, maybe I can toss up a basic starting decklist.. I'm
better at that when I have an idea to go with.

Erich

"Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
> Howdy folks.. I haven't posted in here in a loooooooooooooong time.. man I
> remember when I'd ramble incessantly on here and .rules and .misc.. ahhh
> oh well. On with the show.
>
> So.. I was talking to some guys in #themanadrain on EFnet a couple days
> ago, and wanted to build something that nobody plays in Type 1 but may
> very well stand a chance, and do it from scratch as opposed to Netdecking.
> So, someone suggested a Stasis deck, and I thought of trying a
> transformational sideboard - perhaps to Fish. The first question is, do I
> play mono-blue or U/x, and if U/x, what to play as the second colour?
> Stasis typically plays best as U/w or UG, whereas Fish is either usually
> mono or Ur. If someone can help me with this part, maybe I can toss up a
> basic starting decklist.. I'm better at that when I have an idea to go
> with.

Well, since nobody's responded, I think I might try a different .strategy
here.. Those that know me know I also like building odd decks.. I saw this
one deck list and apparently it T8'ed in a tourney in Hadley last year, so I
thot I'd give it a shot.. altho it'll need tweaking for current Type 1.
Here's the deck list:

4 Force of Will
3 Counterspell
1 Mana Drain
1 Misdirection
4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Intuition
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Future Sight
1 Zur's Weirding
1 Balance
3 Swords To Plowshares
3 Replenish
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Humility
1 Moat
1 Words of Worship
2 Duress
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
3 Underground Sea
2 Island
2 City of Brass
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Plains
1 Black Lotus
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
SIDEBOARD:
2 Exalted Angel
2 Morphling
3 Ophidian
4 Meddling Mage
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Celestial Dawn
1 Sacred Boon

Again, it's predominantly blue with a transformational sideboard. Anyone
think this style of deck will hold up in a current Type 1 environment? What
alterations would you make? (And no, scrapping the whole plan doesn't count
as an "alteration", and neither does a major transformation a la "take this
third of the deck out and put these in instead".)

Erich

Justin Sexton <justin.sexton@gmail.com> wrote:
>Indeed. usenet is a dinosaur. This is gonna be long, so I'll be
>snipping heavily.

Not that there's anything _wrong_ with dinosaurs...

Dave "hint: there's an easter egg in the Doctor Strangewombat article" DeLaney

dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in message news:<slrncpqiej.lmp.dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com>...
> Justin Sexton <justin.sexton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Indeed. usenet is a dinosaur. This is gonna be long, so I'll be
> >snipping heavily.
>
> Not that there's anything _wrong_ with dinosaurs...
>
> Dave "hint: there's an easter egg in the Doctor Strangewombat article" DeLaney

Are you self-identifying as an old fogey, Dave?

--
Justin

"Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message news:<JWnnd.33181$rc.1920075@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Justin Sexton" <justin.sexton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Too expensive. Brainstorms are possibly the best unrestricted card in
> > Vintage. If we're going budget (no proxies, even?) then we need to
> > make up for the lack of Lotus and Mox spee. Cut Future Sight, FoF, and
> > Recall for Brainstorms.
>
> Well, I have FoF.. still cut it for Brainstorm?

Probably. FoF's power drops when you can't reliably cast it until turn
five or six.

> And as for proxies.. given where I live and I don't drive.. I've not heard
> of any proxy tourneys in my area. And even ones I've heard of elsewhere - I
> think I'd be proxying more than ten, realistically, and the most I've heard
> of for a proxy tourney is ten.

5 is standard. 10 is unusual. 13 is the other possiblity, allowing for
P9 + plus one set of Drain/Bazaar/Workshop/Mask.

> (Force of Will under Trinisphere means you still have to pay 3 even if you
> pitch, right?)

Correct.

> > Yikes. Not much. City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, and
> > Chrome Mox all offer speed at the loss of a card. Ancient Tomb, Mana
> > Crypt and Mana Vault are fast, but painful. Better if you run Tinker.
> >
> > Type 1 is all about speed. You can attain it by lowering your mana
> > curve, or by accelerating your mana. But you _cannot_ be competitive
> > if you do neither.
>
> Tinker in this deck? What would you nuke, and what would you fetch?

Oh, right. I forgot about the lack of Moxen. Forget I said that.
Still, an opening of Island, Mana Crypt, Tinker for Colossus is pretty
nice.

> And I agree with the statement "Type 1 is all about speed", especially
> nowadays. Considering that if you run black, you have umpteen dozen ways to
> bring Phyrexian Dreadnaught into play turn 1, and then there's Dragon
> comboing out first turn, and the Storm decks.. A "broken" one-sided game
> doesn't last beyond turn 3, and often is over the turn it starts.

Yes. Although when I talk about speed in T1, it doesn't necessarily
refer to the length of the entire game. There comes a point of
inevitability where the chances for a deck to win approach zero. There
may still be many turns left to actually play, however. Consider a
Keeper deck at five life with Isochron Scepter set to Fire/Ice and
five cards in hand versus a Sligh deck at 20 life with an enpty hand
and no threats. The game is essentially over, even though there are
probably ten+ turns left before the Sligh player's life actually hits
0.

The deck we're discussing doesn't hope to win on turn 5, but it hopes
to reach that point of inevitability before then. In order to do that,
it needs to take more turns than the other deck. I don't mean acutal
Time Walks, but rather portions of turns. Extra draws (Ancestral,
Brainstorm). Extra land drops (Mana Crypt, Moxen, Lotus, Wasteland).
All these cards increase the disparity between the turn the control
deck is on and the turn the beatdown deck is on.

> > So, you need offbeat ideas that would work well on a budget...
> >
> > OK, you could try Weirding in UW aggro-control. Meddling Mage, Lions,
> > Rishadan Cutpurse, Voidmage Prodigy and such backed up by Daze, Force,
> > Swords, and Seals. Top off the curve with Exalted Angel for the lock
> > with Weirding.
>
> That sounds like fun.. maybe you can help me come up with an actual deck
> list? I guess the first question is how much actual control spells.
> (Incidentally, it sounds a lil like another deck idea I had - Suicide Blue.
> I'll email you the deck lists if you want - two different versions came up.)

Do that. Keep in mind the eck above is completely off the top of mt
head, and has no experience or testing behind it.

> > Or try a Tog deck. No, not Psychatog. Break Lithatog or one of the
> > others. Lithatog+Fastbond+Crucible of Worlds, perhaps.
>
> Actually, I was more thinking Thaumatog. Thaum with Fastbond, Crucible, and
> Rancor. Rancor + Thaumatog alone is pretty nasty. Adding Fastbond and
> Crucible to the mix means you can do obscene amounts of trample damage that
> even a Phyrexian Dreadnaught or Darksteel Colossus would have trouble
> handling (although ideally, you'd have to do all the saccing before your
> combat phase).

Interesting. It creates an alternate ill, and you still get to play
with some broken cards as part of the combo. That, I think, has
potential.

> "Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
>> "Justin Sexton" <justin.sexton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Yikes. Not much. City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, and
>> > Chrome Mox all offer speed at the loss of a card. Ancient Tomb, Mana
>> > Crypt and Mana Vault are fast, but painful. Better if you run Tinker.
>> >
>> > Type 1 is all about speed. You can attain it by lowering your mana
>> > curve, or by accelerating your mana. But you _cannot_ be competitive
>> > if you do neither.
>>
>> Tinker in this deck? What would you nuke, and what would you fetch?
>
> Oh, right. I forgot about the lack of Moxen. Forget I said that.
> Still, an opening of Island, Mana Crypt, Tinker for Colossus is pretty
> nice.

LOL.. The only place I've seen a Mana Crypt outside a deck list is on
Shandalar - you know, the old MTG computer game that was based on 4E.. :)

>> And I agree with the statement "Type 1 is all about speed", especially
>> nowadays. Considering that if you run black, you have umpteen dozen ways
>> bring Phyrexian Dreadnaught into play turn 1, and then there's Dragon
>> comboing out first turn, and the Storm decks.. A "broken" one-sided game
>> doesn't last beyond turn 3, and often is over the turn it starts.
>
> Yes. Although when I talk about speed in T1, it doesn't necessarily
> refer to the length of the entire game. There comes a point of
> inevitability where the chances for a deck to win approach zero. There
> may still be many turns left to actually play, however. Consider a
> Keeper deck at five life with Isochron Scepter set to Fire/Ice and
> five cards in hand versus a Sligh deck at 20 life with an enpty hand
> and no threats. The game is essentially over, even though there are
> probably ten+ turns left before the Sligh player's life actually hits
> 0.
>
> The deck we're discussing doesn't hope to win on turn 5, but it hopes
> to reach that point of inevitability before then. In order to do that,
> it needs to take more turns than the other deck. I don't mean acutal
> Time Walks, but rather portions of turns. Extra draws (Ancestral,
> Brainstorm). Extra land drops (Mana Crypt, Moxen, Lotus, Wasteland).
> All these cards increase the disparity between the turn the control
> deck is on and the turn the beatdown deck is on.
>
>> > So, you need offbeat ideas that would work well on a budget...
>> >
>> > OK, you could try Weirding in UW aggro-control. Meddling Mage, Lions,
>> > Rishadan Cutpurse, Voidmage Prodigy and such backed up by Daze, Force,
>> > Swords, and Seals. Top off the curve with Exalted Angel for the lock
>> > with Weirding.
>>
>> That sounds like fun.. maybe you can help me come up with an actual deck
>> list? I guess the first question is how much actual control spells.
>> (Incidentally, it sounds a lil like another deck idea I had - Suicide
>> Blue.
>> I'll email you the deck lists if you want - two different versions came
>> up.)
>
> Do that. Keep in mind the eck above is completely off the top of mt
> head, and has no experience or testing behind it.

Well, let's put this up as a list..

Draft #1

3 Meddling Mage
4 Savannah Lions
3 Rishadan Cutpurse
3 Voidmage Prodigy
2 Exalted Angel

3 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Seal of Cleansing
2 Zur's Weirding
3 Replenish

1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
1 Sol Ring
1 Lotus Petal
1 Chrome Mox
5 Island
5 Plains

>> > Or try a Tog deck. No, not Psychatog. Break Lithatog or one of the
>> > others. Lithatog+Fastbond+Crucible of Worlds, perhaps.

Well, I ran Tog in Type 2 - nobody else was running it, if you can believe
that, until I brought it in - and I saw how nasty it could be.

>> Actually, I was more thinking Thaumatog. Thaum with Fastbond, Crucible,
>> and
>> Rancor. Rancor + Thaumatog alone is pretty nasty. Adding Fastbond and
>> Crucible to the mix means you can do obscene amounts of trample damage
>> that
>> even a Phyrexian Dreadnaught or Darksteel Colossus would have trouble
>> handling (although ideally, you'd have to do all the saccing before your
>> combat phase).
>
> Interesting. It creates an alternate ill, and you still get to play
> with some broken cards as part of the combo. That, I think, has
> potential.

I think it's the only other Tog that's realistically playable.. unless you
use red in there to sac artifacts to re-fetch with Welder.. but why not just
pitch them to begin with?

Erich

"Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message news:<03wod.18042$Le1.479268@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Justin Sexton" <justin.sexton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Well, let's put this up as a list..
>
> Draft #1
>
> 3 Meddling Mage
> 4 Savannah Lions
> 3 Rishadan Cutpurse
> 3 Voidmage Prodigy
> 2 Exalted Angel
>
> 3 Daze
> 4 Force of Will
> 4 Swords to Plowshares
> 3 Seal of Cleansing
> 2 Zur's Weirding
> 3 Replenish
>
> 1 Strip Mine
> 4 Wasteland
> 4 Tundra
> 4 Flooded Strand
> 1 Sol Ring
> 1 Lotus Petal
> 1 Chrome Mox
> 5 Island
> 5 Plains

I don't think Replenish is necessary here. You've only got 5 main deck
enchantments. Run Brainstorms instead. Pitchable to Force, and very
good with Fetchlands. Speaking of lands, let's cut 'em down. 26 is too
much for aggrocontrol. 24 should be enough with this mana curve. I
also wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Mishra's Factories to up our
threat density.

Hmm. Jut had another idea. Since you like the Replenish idea, we could
also run some saccable enchantments like Seal of Removal and
Standstill and then run Auramancer. He plays well with the Prodigy,
giving us an interesting Wizard sub-theme.

I'd like to see some kind of reusable lifegain other than Angel to
help with the Weirding lock, but I don't know what yet.

Something like:

3 Meddling Mage
4 Savannah Lions
3 Voidmage Prodigy
3 Auramancer
2 Exalted Angel

3 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Seal of Cleansing
2 Zur's Weirding
3 Standstill
2 Seal of Removal

1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
1 Sol Ring
1 Lotus Petal
1 Chrome Mox
3 Island
3 Plains
2 Mishra's Factory

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi there everyone,

I'm trying to build a deck that will over power my friends who use a variety
of tournemant illeagal cards in their deacks, which make their decks
insanely powerful. Now we just play for fun, so no real harm is done. Though
I'd like to have a legal deck that could be used in tournaments just so I
can let them know I am playing fair, yet I also kind of want a strong deck.

The problem, lack of life. Since they use powerful cards, some that are
illeagal my life drops like a brick with the first few rounds (they all beat
on me so I have 3 against me at any one time, rather than one on one. So I
want a life gaining deck, but they threaten me by saying they'll use False
Cure on me.

So the favor I'd like to ask is if anyone can help me build my deck, and
find
a way to counteract False Cure. Beacon of Immortality is the only one I can
think of.

Here are stats for False Cure, and Becon of Immortality.

False Cure - Instant 2 Black : Until end of turn, whenever a player gains
life, that
player loses 2 life for each 1 life he or she gained.

Beacon of Immortality / Fifth Dawn -Instant (5) 1 White
Double target player's life total. Shuffle Beacon of Immortality
into its owner's library.

My idea was to use zubera's as cheap creatures to block with and gain life
via the silent zubera's ability when they die from blocking. Then to use
Deathaspect to weed out the spirits from my library to my graveyeard, then
use life aspect to add them to my hand, then to use Myojin of lie's web to
remove it's counter in order to add all the spirits to play. All I need
are some Artifacts to beef up one or two poer spirits to beat on opponents'
creatures. I need one powerful spirit with a divinity counter, and buff it
up so it can survive an 11/11 or stronger creature.

Any help would be appreciated. Please email me at Voice_Guy2@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Tim

Here is what I have so far.

Ghostly Prison x4 (2) 1 White : Opponents can't attack you unless they
pay 2 colorless for each creature attacking.

TIME OF NEED x4 Search your library for a Legendary creature and put
into your hand.

Azusa, lost but seeking x1 (2) 1 green: You may play two adtional lands on
each turn.

Rewnewed Faith x 4 (1) 1 White: Gain 6 Life.

Fertile Ground x 4 (1) 1 Green: Whenever enchanted land is
tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color to his or her
mana pool.

Ember-Fist Zubera x 4 (1) 1 Red: When Ember-Fist Zubera is put into
a graveyard from
play,it deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of
Zubera put into all
graveyards from play this turn.

Silent-Chant Zubera x 4 (1) 1 White : Gain +2 life for each zeubra put
into graveyard this play.

Ashen-Skin Zubera x 4 (1) 1 Black : Target opponent discards a card for
each zeubra put into graveyeard from play.

Iname, Life Aspect x4 (4) 2 Green When Iname, Life Aspect is put into a
graveyard from
play, you may remove Iname, Life Aspect from the game. If you do, return any
number of
target Spirit cards from your graveyard to your hand.

Iname, Death Aspect x4 (4) 2 Black: When iname Death aspect comes into
play, you may search
your library for any number of spirit cards and add them to your grave yard.

Myojin of Life's Web x 1 (6) 3 Green: Myojin of Life's Web comes into play
with a divinity
counter on it if you played it from your hand. Myojin of Life's Web is
indestructible as long
as it has a divinity counter on it. Remove a divinity counter from Myojin of
Life's
Web: Put any number of creature cards from your hand into play.

Kokusho, the Evening Star x 1 (4) 2 Black : When Kokusho, the Eveneing
Star
is put into graveyeard from play each opponent loses 5 life, you gain life
equal to life lost this way.

(Lands preferably 10 or more of both Black and Green, as for the rest I'll
ask all of you for advice on how much I'll need of Blue, White, and Red.)

This one will be added just for the fun of it for when playing against my
friends.
Unhinged/Granny's payback x 4 (7) 1 green : You gain life equel to your
own age.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

To know more about your opponents deck would be helpful.
First I would concentrate your deck on 2 or 3 colors.
Green/Black/... I suggest Blue, but another is good

Add some Barther and Blood (can be good against Darsteel Colossus),
and work well with zeburas. Meloku the Clouded Mirror with is very
good with Azusa, lost but seeking.

Card that you gain benefit with arcane or spirit like
Sire of the Storm or Teller of Tales, Soil Shaper, ...
Creatures with Soulshift.

Counter spells, Icy Manipulator, Dark Banishing

Try to keep your deck between 60-70 cards the closer you are to 60
the better the chance to get the card you need.

Maybe some equipment like the Loxodon Warhammer
or Sword of Light and Shadow.

I hope that I gave you some ideas.
Check for some magic sites like
essentialmagic.com or the message board of Wizards.

Carl

Tim Tilley wrote:
> [...]
> indestructible as long
> as it has a divinity counter on it. Remove a divinity counter from Myojin of
> Life's
> Web: Put any number of creature cards from your hand into play.
>
> Kokusho, the Evening Star x 1 (4) 2 Black : When Kokusho, the Eveneing
> Star
> is put into graveyeard from play each opponent loses 5 life, you gain life
> equal to life lost this way.
>
> (Lands preferably 10 or more of both Black and Green, as for the rest I'll
> ask all of you for advice on how much I'll need of Blue, White, and Red.)
>
> This one will be added just for the fun of it for when playing against my
> friends.
> Unhinged/Granny's payback x 4 (7) 1 green : You gain life equel to your
> own age.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

1. Gain a whole bunch of life and subsequently loose twice as much.

2. Reverse the sands.

3. Laugh. (if they try and counter. Time Stop.)

Tim Tilley wrote:
> [...]
| indestructible as long
| as it has a divinity counter on it. Remove a divinity counter from
Myojin of
| Life's
| Web: Put any number of creature cards from your hand into play.
|
| Kokusho, the Evening Star x 1 (4) 2 Black : When Kokusho, the Eveneing
| Star
| is put into graveyeard from play each opponent loses 5 life, you gain life
| equal to life lost this way.
|
| (Lands preferably 10 or more of both Black and Green, as for the rest
I'll
| ask all of you for advice on how much I'll need of Blue, White, and Red.)
|
| This one will be added just for the fun of it for when playing against my
| friends.
| Unhinged/Granny's payback x 4 (7) 1 green : You gain life equel to your

- --
Nathan DeGruchy

~ "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing
~ sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams