Warning: Screwball deck ahead....

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Greetings, All--

I had a couple of deck ideas involving some cards from Champions.
Here's the first reiteration. It started off as a block deck, but I
wanted to see if I could make it (relatively) good in type II. As
always, critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Type II Zubera/Legends deck

4x Sakura Tribe Elder
4x Kodama's Reach
4x Reap & Sow
4x Dripping-Tongue Zubera
4x Ember-Fist Zubera
4x Oxidize
4x Time of Need
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
1x Myojin of Infinite Rage
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Jugan, the Rising Star
4x ????

10x Mountain
11x Forest
1x Untaidake, the Cloudkeeper
1x Okina, Temple to the Fathers

Concept:
Basically, mana accelerate, cast Time of Need, get whatever legend
seems most useful at the time. Alternatively, win by zuberas.

Question #1: What should ???? be? Some fireballs for an alternative
win condition? Solemn Simulacrum/Eternal Witness/something I can
abuse with Kiki-Jiki? Commune with Nature, to help ensure the
creatures keep coming? Glimpse of Nature, for card draw? Some more
legends? Or something I'm not even thinking about?

Question #2: What about the mana acceleration? Sakura Tribe Elder
can be abused with Kiki-Jiki, in addition to being a chump blocker, so
I like that. Reap & Sow can not only fetch my legendary lands, it's
also land destruction, so it's never a useless card. Kodama's Reach
I'm not sure about. Should I swap out the Reaches with something
else, like wood elves, or Birds, or Vine Trellis?

Question #3: What about the lands? Should I stay with what I have,
or should I run cloudposts or something? I really don't want to turn
this into a bastardized Tooth & Nail deck, though.

Thanks!

Scott

On 2004-11-12, Scott Vajdos <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Type II Zubera/Legends deck
>
> 4x Sakura Tribe Elder
> 4x Kodama's Reach
> 4x Reap & Sow
> 4x Dripping-Tongue Zubera
> 4x Ember-Fist Zubera
> 4x Oxidize
> 4x Time of Need
> 1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
> 1x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
> 1x Myojin of Infinite Rage
> 1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
> 1x Jugan, the Rising Star
> 4x ????
>
> 10x Mountain
> 11x Forest
> 1x Untaidake, the Cloudkeeper
> 1x Okina, Temple to the Fathers
>
> Concept:
> Basically, mana accelerate, cast Time of Need, get whatever legend
> seems most useful at the time. Alternatively, win by zuberas.
>
> Question #1: What should ???? be? Some fireballs for an alternative

Not sure what ???? should be, but Witness + Kiki-Jiki sounds good to me.
One thing I would add to the side would be some Wear Away or the green
disenchant (name escapes me at the moment) to protect from things like Night
of Soul's Betrayal + Nine-Ringed Bo, which has a good possibility of negating
the benefits of Spirit-based decks.

> Question #2: What about the mana acceleration? Sakura Tribe Elder

I love the Elder, as well as Reach. The Wood Elves are good, since you don't
have to wait for sac'ing the Elder, but you're limited to a forest. I do find
myself sac'ing the Elder at the end of my oppoenent's turn even if they
haven't attacked, just so I can have that land next turn. With the Wood
Elves, you get to chump block whenever you want. With more than two colors,
the Elder is a no-brainer, but with only two, and 4x Reach in there, it's a
toss-up, imho.

> Question #3: What about the lands? Should I stay with what I have,

With the legends, 1 each of the Blood-soaked Keep and the green legendary land
from Champions wouldn't be a bad idea. Oh, wait, I think you have that one,
Okina, right?

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net