Replacing 8300 PSU with standard ATX PSU??

Hi,

The power supply unit in my Dell Dimension 8300 is dying. Every 9 out of 10
times, the machine won't start at all when I press the power button. I can
hear the fans for about half a second, then the whole thing just dies.

I have swapped the PSU with another Dell 250W PSU and then the system works
like a charm.

So, I guess I need a new PSU. Do I have to order one from Dell or can I just
get a standard ATX one? (like an Enermax with a little bit more power for
instance)
I have heard that some Dell PSU's are wired differently, but that the 8300
can take a normally wired PSU. Is this true?

I could call Dell Tech Support, but after my experiences with them about a
year ago, I'm afraid they'll say it's impossible to install a different
brand, just so they can sell me one of their own units.

Has anyone done this before? If so, what brand of PSU did you use?

Thanks,

Dennis

It's wired as a standard ATX.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The power supply unit in my Dell Dimension 8300 is dying. Every 9 out
> of 10
> times, the machine won't start at all when I press the power button. I
> can
> hear the fans for about half a second, then the whole thing just dies.
>
> I have swapped the PSU with another Dell 250W PSU and then the system
> works
> like a charm.
>
> So, I guess I need a new PSU. Do I have to order one from Dell or can
> I just
> get a standard ATX one? (like an Enermax with a little bit more power
> for
> instance)
> I have heard that some Dell PSU's are wired differently, but that the
> 8300
> can take a normally wired PSU. Is this true?
>
> I could call Dell Tech Support, but after my experiences with them
> about a
> year ago, I'm afraid they'll say it's impossible to install a
> different
> brand, just so they can sell me one of their own units.
>
> Has anyone done this before? If so, what brand of PSU did you use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The power supply unit in my Dell Dimension 8300 is dying. Every 9 out of
> 10
> times, the machine won't start at all when I press the power button. I can
> hear the fans for about half a second, then the whole thing just dies.
>
> I have swapped the PSU with another Dell 250W PSU and then the system
> works
> like a charm.
>
> So, I guess I need a new PSU. Do I have to order one from Dell or can I
> just
> get a standard ATX one? (like an Enermax with a little bit more power for
> instance)
> I have heard that some Dell PSU's are wired differently, but that the 8300
> can take a normally wired PSU. Is this true?
>
> I could call Dell Tech Support, but after my experiences with them about a
> year ago, I'm afraid they'll say it's impossible to install a different
> brand, just so they can sell me one of their own units.
>
> Has anyone done this before? If so, what brand of PSU did you use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

I don't know the answer, but the Dell power supplies are cheap and
underrated (more than 250W), so I'd go that route.

Tom

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schreef in bericht
> I don't know the answer, but the Dell power supplies are cheap and
> underrated (more than 250W), so I'd go that route.

Yeah, I know, but this is the second one dying on me in 1,5 years. So I'd
like to try something else for a change, if possible. And it seems to be
possible as for the wiring, however I see that most new power supplies come
with a main switch on the rear for which the Dell case has no hole. And I
don't fancy drilling an extra hole in the case.

Ah well, I'll just think about it some more, maybe go with Dell after
all....

Thanks,

Dennis

> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schreef in bericht
>> I don't know the answer, but the Dell power supplies are cheap and
>> underrated (more than 250W), so I'd go that route.
>>

> Yeah, I know, but this is the second one dying on me in 1,5 years. So I'd
> like to try something else for a change, if possible. And it seems to be
> possible as for the wiring, however I see that most new power supplies
> come
> with a main switch on the rear for which the Dell case has no hole. And I
> don't fancy drilling an extra hole in the case.
>
> Ah well, I'll just think about it some more, maybe go with Dell after
> all....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

If you've lost two in two years, I'd begin to suspect the quality of the
power. Do you run it through a UPS or at least a good surge protector?

Craig

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The power supply unit in my Dell Dimension 8300 is dying. Every 9 out of
> 10
> times, the machine won't start at all when I press the power button. I can
> hear the fans for about half a second, then the whole thing just dies.
>
> I have swapped the PSU with another Dell 250W PSU and then the system
> works
> like a charm.
>
> So, I guess I need a new PSU. Do I have to order one from Dell or can I
> just
> get a standard ATX one? (like an Enermax with a little bit more power for
> instance)
> I have heard that some Dell PSU's are wired differently, but that the 8300
> can take a normally wired PSU. Is this true?
>
> I could call Dell Tech Support, but after my experiences with them about a
> year ago, I'm afraid they'll say it's impossible to install a different
> brand, just so they can sell me one of their own units.
>
> Has anyone done this before? If so, what brand of PSU did you use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

Try here http://store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/m0148.html or Dell.

Craig

> If you've lost two in two years, I'd begin to suspect the quality of the
> power. Do you run it through a UPS or at least a good surge protector?

I'm currently using a surge protector.
It's only happening to this Dimension system, I've got another custom built
system which has not given me any power troubles so far.

Today I have been to all shops in this region, and none of them have a PSU
without a mains switch on the back panel. I've tried an AOpen PSU but it
wouldn't fit because of that mains switch. One of the other stores had a
no-name PSU but that one was DOA, 11V on the 12V rail :)

I think this will lead to calling Dell Support after all.

Thanks,

Dennis

Unfortunately, an adjacent surge protector provided nothing
useful (but does enrich its manufacturer). If those $0.10
parts inside the plug-in protector were so effective, then
they would be inside all power supplies. Power supplies
contain (as even required by industry standards) protection
that can work adjacent to appliance. So that such protection
is not overwhelmed, we must install a 'whole house' protectors
with the all so necessary 'less than 10 foot' connection to
earth ground. The 'whole house' protector would cost maybe
less than $1 per protected appliance. How much for the
plug-in protector that is not even effective?

Those who recommend plug-in surge protectors or UPSes don't
know what those devices really accomplish or how they work.
IOW they assume surge protector = surge protection. Reality:
protector and protection are two different devices. An
effective protector connects 'less than 10 feet' to the
protection.

Why are power supplies failing? Best evidence is inside the
dead body. That assumes the PSU has really died. The power
supply 'system' is composed of three 'system' components.
Which one is defective? A replaced power supply could (for
example) mask a defective power supply controller. Better is
but a few minutes to first learn what has failed before wildly
replacing anything. Previously posted are "Computer doesnt
start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9
Better to locate a problem before 'fixing' anything. Just
because the second power supply temporarily solved a problem
does not say power supplies are the problem.

But moreso, a surge protector recommendation could even
contribute to future computer damage. The recommendation is
based mostly upon word association rather than science. Based
upon a false assumptions that surge protector and surge
protection are same.