newbie requests some excellent defenses against artifacts ..

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi,

Noob here, What are some excellent defenses against artifacts in
general and affinity for artifact cards? Thanks a lot.

jackthedonutguy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Noob here, What are some excellent defenses against artifacts in
> general and affinity for artifact cards? Thanks a lot.

Well, red and green are the colors for artifact hate; you'll find
a lot of cards in those colors that have interesting variations on
"destroy target artifact". There's also the Tel-Jilad creatures,
who have protection from artifacts, and Infested Roothold.
Are you limited to Standard? Shatterstorm is still legal in
Extended...
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Chris Mattern <matternc@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<IvudnWzM-_hcPwjcRVn-qw@comcast.com>...
> jackthedonutguy wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Noob here, What are some excellent defenses against artifacts in
> > general and affinity for artifact cards? Thanks a lot.
>
> Well, red and green are the colors for artifact hate; you'll find
> a lot of cards in those colors that have interesting variations on
> "destroy target artifact". There's also the Tel-Jilad creatures,
> who have protection from artifacts, and Infested Roothold.
> Are you limited to Standard? Shatterstorm is still legal in
> Extended...

Great. Thanks a lot. A few questions if you don't mind, I am
collecting almost all 8th edition cards (I like the design plus the
fact that it is the latest edition (for me I almost always want the
latest stuff in anything)(to me the 8th edition is more clean in image
than previous editions) for my deck: my deck consists of around 20-24
land cards of mountains and plains. I have plains and mountains
creatures, spells, etc. I don't have more than 4 of any card except
for basic lands, etc. Please provide any suggestions that can build or
help me better construct my deck. I don't intend to battle in
tournaments just mainly between friends and family but I still follow
the magic rules. Please provide if you are able to a list of cards
and/or strategies (mountains/plains creatures, spells, artifacts,
etc.) that are or can be essential to my deck. I have roughly some 70
odd cards in my deck (again made of mountain/plain lands, creatures,
spells, a few artifacts, etc. Does obliterate destory all creatures,
artifacts, lands including mine as well as all other players? What if
they have a "You can't be the target of spells or abilities" card?
Does obliterate still affect them? Also, does wrath of god work the
same way obliterate does? I have heard that the power nine cards are
the most desired to not mention the most expensive cards in magic, my
question is why? what makes the power nine so potent or most wanted?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

> Noob here, What are some excellent defenses against artifacts in
> general and affinity for artifact cards? Thanks a lot.

Shatterstorm, Shatter, Shattering Pulse, Gorilla Shaman, Oxidize,
Disenchant, Naturalize, Viridian Shaman, Uktabi Orangutan, Viashino Heretic,
Tel-Jilad Justice, Detonate, Granulate, Seal of Cleansing, Aura of
Silence...

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

>Does obliterate destory all creatures, artifacts, lands including mine as
well as all other players?

Yes. "All" really means ALL.

> What if they have a "You can't be the target of spells or abilities" card?

Obliterate doesn't use the word "target", so it's not targetted. It will
still affect those cards.

> Also, does wrath of god work the same way obliterate does?

Yup. No word "target", not targetted.

> I have heard that the power nine cards are the most desired to not mention
the most expensive cards in magic,
> my question is why? what makes the power nine so potent or most wanted?

The 5 Moxes are like basic lands without the restriction of being able
to play only one per turn. This lets you dump out a lot of mana early on and
play your spells faster. Black Lotus is much the same... you can only use it
once, but it gives you a lot of mana quickly. Ancestral Recall lets you draw
3 cards for a measly one mana, which is an incredible deal. The most recent
card that lets you draw 3 cards (Concentrate) costs four mana, which is
considered a fair price, so Ancestral is crazy good. Time Walk lets you take
another turn for two mana. The "fixed" version of it (Time Warp) costs five
mana, so Time Walk is obviously a lot better. Timetwister is not so obvious,
but it's possible to play out all your cards on your first turn if you build
a super deck... at that point you can cast Timetwister and basically draw
another 7 cards while your opponent still has the 7 cards he drew to start,
so he doesn't really benefit from it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

sectorcacat@hotmail.com (jackthedonutguy) wrote in message news:<871407e9.0411131817.22fe4714@posting.google.com>...

<snip>

> Please provide any suggestions that can build or
> help me better construct my deck. I don't intend to battle in
> tournaments just mainly between friends and family but I still follow
> the magic rules. Please provide if you are able to a list of cards
> and/or strategies (mountains/plains creatures, spells, artifacts,
> etc.) that are or can be essential to my deck.

An old favorite Red-White deck of mine is Fruity Pebbles. It's core
cards are:

4 Enduring Renewal (Ice Age)
4 Goblin Bombardment (Tempest, I think)

These two enchantments and a bunch of zero casting cost artifact
creatures (pebbles) will kill a whole table of opponents at once, if
no one can stop you when you go off. Here's a possible list of other
cards for the deck.

4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Academy Rector (Better than Enlightened Tutor but more expensive)
4 Shield Sphere
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 (creature removal like Pyroclasm, Swords to Plowshares, Wrath of
God, etc.)
4 (artifact/enchantment removal - perhaps Disenchant)

24 land.

Its always helpful to have at least 4 land that will produce mana of
either of your decks colors. Dual lands like Plateau are fantastic,
but pircey. Battlefield forge, or Gemstone mine or even Thran Quarry
or some combination of these choices will work fine.

This is not meant to be a re-creation of the famous old tourney deck,
but works well all the same. Some alternate cards migh include Atog
and Spirit Link just for fun. In place of creature kill, I used to
run Humility, but my play group threatened to string me up! ;-)

Mike McC