dfloyd70

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
hi all. just made the jump from nvidia to ati. im having a problem which makes me think that the card is defective. after uninstalling nvidia driver running driver cleaner and reg cleaner i installed new card and drivers per manual. i had a bear of a time installind ati cat 3.6. at first i would get a black screen at the welcome screen (xp). something about a gart driver for non intel chipsets would cause the black screen. problem is mine is an intel chipset (530). so i go into safe mode to install the drivers. after playing around i finally get the drivers installed correctly. ( never had this problem with nvidia drivers before click click and bam i was up and running). never the less i am getting faint yellow vertical banding top to bottom in 2d apps. also a smal vertical line to the left of my mouse. so i try to run 3d mark 2001 and the graphics were badly corrupted. after several tries i decided to reformat... same problem. what are the chances that you buy a new card and it is defective? dont they do some kind of testing on them before they release it. it could very well be user error. i dont know, as ive never had an ati card before. i kept getting an error about an inf file missing and then it would tell me that my ati driver was causing my system instability. im at my wits end. i have an rma # and am prepared to send it back (allstarshop.com)they were nice and appologized for the problem i was having. i just want to know if anyone has any answers as i dont want to unnecissarily pay for shipping back and forth if it is some thing that i am doing wrong.. sorry this post is so long i just wanted to let everyone know what i have tried so far. her are my system specs....p4 2.4b...512mb pc 1066...480 watts true blue power supply.. sound laster audigy...60 gig hd 160 gig hd..dvd player and cd burner.. tried hooking up the power cable to the card in many different configs.. wore grounding strap while working on it.. whew.. thanks in advance for any help ..oh sorry gigabyte ga- 8hixp mb

Just a thought could the driver and registry cleaner you used have also removed your M/Bs AGP slot driver, because you have got to have that AGP slot driver to run that card. When you said you installed some drivers in safe mode did you install the AGP slot driver?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Go into the Add/Remove programs and look for any references to nvidia display drivers, if you find them don't do anything, post what you find.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

dfloyd70

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
im going to try to reinstall chipset drivers. this is only thing i can think of. went to motherboard website and down loaded drivers and inf files. i just hope its this and not the card

dfloyd70

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
im sorry, my msi is running just fine. so i dont know if its the agp slot drivers. its just frustrating cause like i said it doesnt take long to install the nvidia drivers. click click and im in business

Is the M/B # you posted correct I couldn't find a reference to GA-8hixp. Remove the old chipset drivers first using the feature in the driver loader, it sounds like a driver issue you're dealing with here. I can possibly walk you through this thing, I'm running an ATI 9800Pro and also switched from nvidia, but a reinstallation of WinXp is what you're facing if you're not careful from this point

The ATI drivers are not hard to install, unless something is left behind from Nvidia, and WinXP tries to reinstall it. WinXPs automatically trying to rectify the problem for you and sometimes creates problems.

dfloyd70

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
i downloaded the chipset drivers from gigabyte web page. i was going to try to uninstall nvidia drivers, then card. reinstall the 9800 pro, then chipset drivers which has inf files. then install the ctalyst drivers and the wdm drivers or vice versa

Use the Chipset driver program to also uninstall and reinstall the chipset and AGP slot driver, after uninstalling the Nvidia card look in Add/Remove programs and remove the Nvidia display drivers, before you restart the machine, or WinXP will automatically try to reload them, at least thats what it did to me.

I see a new M/B in your near future, since you're installing an 8x AGP capable video card, in a 4x AGP max M/B, the video card will run OK, but not at its Maximum capability, but thats not something to really be bothered with right now.

dfloyd70

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
hey, i want to thank you for all of your help.. i tried evrything i could think of to get it to work and im now convinced it is the card. i already have an rma #. i will be taking it to fedex tomorrow. hopefully i will have better luck with the next one as i can only exchange for same item..

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Wrong Ryan. Not that a motherboard upgrade wouldnt be a bad option, since the 850E is a bit outdated, but 4x/8x is not the issue. That will make a performance difference of about, oh, ZERO percent 99% of the time, except in certain unlikely, and avoidable instances (Who runs at 1600x1200 with 4 or 6x AA and aniso on? Noone, because 10 fps is not better than 7 fps).

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Unit01

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
This might be a little late of saying, but have you thought about heat?
The high end graphics cards of today run HOT.
Heat issue can cause the issues you mentioned

Wooba Wooba

I don't agree with you but I'm not going to argue with you, heres where I got my information from.

<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/vortal/r350/flash/9800educational/index.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/vortal/r350/flash/9800educational/index.html</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
actually my R9800pro runs at quite acceptable temps. IF you overclock though the ramchips could do with some heatsinks though.

In some cases too a complete windows reinstall is the only way. As what i had to do.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Of course the MAKER of the graphics card is going to flaunt its 8x capabilities fool!! They want to sell their cards!

Why don't you try some third parties, or possibly, experience it for yourself. (I have tried 8x and 4x for kicks, makes no tangible difference, few points less in 3dmark 2001 but thats just a benchmark, in games it makes close to no difference.)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah.
8X is like the 256Mb R9800pro or ATA133.
Looks impressive on paper, but really does nothing.

Ive only got 4x on my Epoxy 8K3A+ but im still experiencing crystal clear images and creamy smooth framerates.

Regards,

I may have trusted something they posted at their website, but that doesn't make me a fool.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Alright. Sorry I called you a fool, and I'm sorry you misinterpreted me. As long as you understand the point we're trying to accept.

(If I was Mormon, that'd score me 10 Planet Points!)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oooo. Does that put you on cloud nine then? :)

Regards,

Well let me make sure I understand you, you're basically saying that myself, and everyone thats purchased an ATI 9800 Pro graphics card, is now on solid legal ground to sue ATI for false advertisement, and false claims of product performance, that they've posted for the world to see at their website, just to sell their graphics cards, which by the way 8x support was the least of the reasons I bought my 9800 Pro, and saw no claims at the ATI website of FPS boost because of the 8X AGP interface, then there is absolutely <b>No truth at all in their performance claims. Right?</b> Thanks for clearing that issue up for me.

With all due respect, FPS is not the true advancement that the 8x slot allows, but the detail that can be crammed into those FPS, you know, realistic detail the thing most of us love in our new games. Let me simplify for you, its the quality of the frames per second performance increase, the crisp detail we see at high frame rates, which FPS wise will increase as the GPU speeds increase. This article well exposes the point you're trying to make and the point I'm trying to make.

<A HREF="http://www.ocaddiction.com/articles/video/agp8x/" target="_new">http://www.ocaddiction.com/articles/video/agp8x/</A>