Lost personal settings and everything in Outlook Express

Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low of
security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his Outlook
Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.

What do I do?
5 answers Last reply
More about lost personal settings outlook express

    Hi Gayla,

    This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
    preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
    profile to the current user profile.

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    OE - Importing the messages:
    http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
    > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
    > of
    > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
    > Outlook
    > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
    >
    > What do I do?

    Ramesh, Thank you for replying.... When I click on tools, there is no "folder
    options" option.... what do I do now?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Gayla,
    >
    > This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
    > preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
    > profile to the current user profile.
    >
    > How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
    >
    > OE - Importing the messages:
    > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
    > > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
    > > of
    > > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
    > > Outlook
    > > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
    > >
    > > What do I do?

    Me again.... I found the folder option in the control panel... but now I'm
    not sure how to import the email information (if possible). How do I find
    out if the backup files did or did not include "folders.dbx"? I'm not real
    savvy at doing this so I need it in laymen's terms please... Thanks,

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Gayla,
    >
    > This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
    > preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
    > profile to the current user profile.
    >
    > How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
    >
    > OE - Importing the messages:
    > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
    > > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
    > > of
    > > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
    > > Outlook
    > > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
    > >
    > > What do I do?

    Hi Gayla,

    If the Folder Options sub-menu is missing under Tools menu in Windows
    Explorer, read below:

    NoFolderOptions policy hides the "Folder Options" applet in the Control
    Panel, and the "Folder Options" sub-menu under Tools menu in Windows
    Explorer. To get the option back, (For stand-alone systems) follow this:

    Start Regedit.exe and navigate to:

    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    and
    [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    Backup the keys, and delete the "NoFolderOptions" value in the right pane.

    Ref:
    Subject: Can't find "Folder Options"
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23gjPhzzHFHA.2740%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

    Backup the registry:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

    --

    > Ramesh, Thank you for replying.... When I click on tools, there is no
    > "folder
    > options" option.... what do I do now?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gayla,
    >>
    >> This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
    >> preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
    >> profile to the current user profile.
    >>
    >> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
    >>
    >> OE - Importing the messages:
    >> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night
    >> > and
    >> > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too
    >> > low
    >> > of
    >> > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
    >> > Outlook
    >> > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
    >> >
    >> > What do I do?

    Gayla,

    This KB explains how to import OE mails/address book etc.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055

    --

    > Me again.... I found the folder option in the control panel... but now I'm
    > not sure how to import the email information (if possible). How do I find
    > out if the backup files did or did not include "folders.dbx"? I'm not
    > real
    > savvy at doing this so I need it in laymen's terms please... Thanks,
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gayla,
    >>
    >> This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
    >> preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
    >> profile to the current user profile.
    >>
    >> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
    >>
    >> OE - Importing the messages:
    >> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night
    >> > and
    >> > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too
    >> > low
    >> > of
    >> > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
    >> > Outlook
    >> > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
    >> >
    >> > What do I do?

Outlook Express Windows XP