Lost personal settings and everything in Outlook Express

March 13, 2005 12:25:01 PM

Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low of
security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his Outlook
Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.

What do I do?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:38:09 AM

Hi Gayla,

This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
profile to the current user profile.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

OE - Importing the messages:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
> received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
> of
> security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
> Outlook
> Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
>
> What do I do?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:38:10 AM

Ramesh, Thank you for replying.... When I click on tools, there is no "folder
options" option.... what do I do now?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Gayla,
>
> This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
> preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
> profile to the current user profile.
>
> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
>
> OE - Importing the messages:
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
> > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
> > of
> > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
> > Outlook
> > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
> >
> > What do I do?

March 14, 2005 2:38:10 AM

Me again.... I found the folder option in the control panel... but now I'm
not sure how to import the email information (if possible). How do I find
out if the backup files did or did not include "folders.dbx"? I'm not real
savvy at doing this so I need it in laymen's terms please... Thanks,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Gayla,
>
> This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
> preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
> profile to the current user profile.
>
> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
>
> OE - Importing the messages:
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night and
> > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too low
> > of
> > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
> > Outlook
> > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
> >
> > What do I do?

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:04:24 AM

Hi Gayla,

If the Folder Options sub-menu is missing under Tools menu in Windows
Explorer, read below:

NoFolderOptions policy hides the "Folder Options" applet in the Control
Panel, and the "Folder Options" sub-menu under Tools menu in Windows
Explorer. To get the option back, (For stand-alone systems) follow this:

Start Regedit.exe and navigate to:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
and
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Backup the keys, and delete the "NoFolderOptions" value in the right pane.

Ref:
Subject: Can't find "Folder Options"
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23gjPhzzHFHA.27...

Backup the registry:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

--

> Ramesh, Thank you for replying.... When I click on tools, there is no
> "folder
> options" option.... what do I do now?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Gayla,
>>
>> This happens if the user profile is corrupt, and unfortunately the user
>> preferences are lost. However, you can copy the files from the old user
>> profile to the current user profile.
>>
>> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
>>
>> OE - Importing the messages:
>> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Gayla J" <GaylaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please help. My husband tried to log onto his XP settings last night
>> > and
>> > received error message saying that he could not logon because of too
>> > low
>> > of
>> > security settings or corrupt profile. He also lost everything in his
>> > Outlook
>> > Express. He tried system restore but it said it was unable to restore.
>> >
>> > What do I do?

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:13:56 PM

Gayla,

This KB explains how to import OE mails/address book etc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055

--

!