Red Deck

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

It's one of the oldest and easiest types of decks to make, but other than U or
U/x control, it is still one of my favorites to play. Wondering if you had
any ideas for this deck, it's meant to be standard.
One thing I'm thinking of is adding the Stone Rains in the main board and
adding zo-zu the punisher. If figure with enough land destruction and him,
that it might really hurt the oppoenent, no matter what he's playing.

comments and ideas welcome

// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands 21
20 Mountain
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
// Creatures 15
3 Arc-Slogger
4 Furnace Whelp
4 Slith Firewalker
2 Kumano, Master Yamabushi
3 War Elemental
// Spells 23
4 Electrostatic Bolt
4 Glacial Ray
4 Barbed Lightning
4 Seething Song
4 Lava Spike
4 Molten Rain
// Sideboard
SB: 2 Boil
SB: 4 Echoing Ruin
SB: 3 Flashfires
SB: 3 Granulate
SB: 3 ???

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

"Mateusz "Watman" Wata" <watman@SPAMFIGHTERinteria.pl> wrote in message
> To summon a deamon called Kevin you must know the following incantation:
>>> zo-zu's fit well here :)
>> Definitely, and they might go up and replace the War Elementals in the
>> main.
>> Luckily, 3 is exactly what I have of Zo-zu, so I'm good to go there.
>> I'm wondering, how much LD is too much? Would 4 Moltens + 2 stone rains
>> sound
>> about right? Ahh, where's Pillage when I need it?
>
> yup, but if you run zo-zu's main, you shoul up the number of land-d
> spells - i'd run 8-10 of them - 8 rains and possibly 2 demolishes...

For comparison, the following is a black-red LD deck from about three years
ago (I think Judgment was the most recent set looked at) for type 1:

Black/Red Nether Void LD Deck

4 Swamp
2 Mountain
1 Barbarian Ring
1 Tainted Peak
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Badlands
1 Sol Ring
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
2 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Choking Sands
4 Stone Rain
4 Pillage
4 Sinkhole
2 Nether Void
1 Dwarven Miner
2 Army Ants
3 Gorilla Shaman
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Ankh of Mishra
1 Black Vice
4 Incinerate
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning

Sideboard

1 Icequake
1 Wasteland
1 Choking Sands
2 Gloom
2 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
2 Price of Glory
2 Pyroclasm
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Planar Void

While LD has been out of vogue for a few years now in Type 1, in other
formats such as Type 2 it can be pretty nasty. In Invasion/Odyssey/7E
Standard I ran an approximation to this, running about a dozen burn, 16 LD
(4 were Befoul so they could also count as creature removal) and a pair of
Braids as my Nether Void equivalent. Sengir was used as my main win
condition, and I did quite well locally.

If you plan on running LD as a deck style, you will need at least four each
Stone Rain and Molten Rain, and I'd suggest either Shatter, Heart Kami,
and/or Demolish for artifact removal. (The Kami is good because it's still a
2-power creature for two mana even if your opponent runs no artifacts.) Add
about a dozen removal spells - burn is a good option if it's efficient and
can be tossed at the dome as well as a creature. Ankh of Mishra is always
good, and Zo-Zu might not be a bad substitute.

Since we're on the topic of lands.. a typical Standard deck (and this seems
to be true in Vintage as well) runs around 24 mana slots. If you run a more
control-oriented deck (such as the deck above - Nether Void isn't an
aggressive card, for sure), then you will want to increase your mana count
to compensate, as being able to play spells on your opponent's turn is often
just as important as on your own. Assume you get a Chrome Mox on the board
on your first turn. That means killing land turn 2, and again on turn 3 with
a card like Shock or Orcish Spy to back it. Even if you don't have the
Chrome Mox, a turn 1 Spark Elemental followed by a turn 2 Akki Avalanchers
with Shock in your hand for your opponent's creature will defintely slow
their development, and then turn 3 LD.. well, your opponent is now under a
lot of pressure to develop his or her position fast. Just remember to try
and save your spell- and ability-based answers for THEIR turn instead of
yours - which means you want to drop more land than they do so you can
respond easier. And this is also part of where Wayfarer's Bauble fits in
nicely. More land in play so you can play more answers and threats of your
own - and bigger ones too - and more chance of drawing the answer you need
when you need it.

Part of the problem I think with War Elemental is you get a 1/1 body for
RRR, and you have to hit your opponent's life somehow first. Sure, Red can
put counters on it fast, but when it dies to a simple Tim ability like
Vulshok Sorcerer or Orcish Artillery (both the same converted mana cost) or
any of Red's burn spells.. well, for RRR it's too fragile. Chlorophant was
better than this (yes, I know it's a different colour), and even so I don't
recall it ever seeing much play - and it could be accelerated out turn 2
consistently with Elves and Birds and whatnot.

(Incidentally, I see one major problem for the above deck - Oath of Druids
running Darksteel Colossus - and I'm considering running Paralyze in the
sideboard to deal with it. Maybe even maindeck. Obviously this is a slow,
patient deck compared to most of the Type 1 decks out there, but I think it
still has a chance apart from the Oath-Colossus combo as is.)

One last thing. Adding a second colour is often a good idea. While it may
disrupt a consistent mana base somewhat, it doubles your list of options and
allows you to run answers to problems you might otherwise encounter. Green
and Black both are the most common additions. Green allows you cards like
Naturalize and Oxidize, additional mana acceleration, and quite often
bigger/better bodies for beatsticks. Black, on the other hand, has more
out-and-out creature removal, discard, and search/draw as tempting options,
as well as being able to bring out fat creatures sooner - at a cost, of
course (think of hardcasting Grinning Demon, or Wretched Anurid as
examples). If you decide to stick with a single colour, your mana base is
more stable, but you have less options available. Black can find a way to
deal with Darksteel Colossus (Barter in Blood, followed by Cranial
Extraction if necessary); mono-red runs into difficulty covering the same
issue.

Boy I ramble a lot :) But I hope it's given you something to think over. In
formats outside Standard, LD often is relegated to being a supplementary
disruption strategy (in Vintage, Strip Mine + 4 Wastelands + 4 Sinkhole can
be enough to stop one or more colours in an opponent's deck), but in
Standard I often find that it's worth considering in a more prominent role.

Best of luck!
Erich

On 2004-12-20, Mateusz "Watman" Wata <watman@SPAMFIGHTERinteria.pl> wrote:
> To summon a deamon called Kevin you must know the following incantation:

>>> i'd exchange the amounts of sloggers and whelps
>> Noted. I had taken out one slogger to make room for the additional Kumano.
>> Since I can only use the slogger's ability so many times before I'm out of
>> cards, I was really only looking for one per game, which I've been getting
>> pretty consistently.
>
> so you have 3 of each slogger, whelp and kumano now? i can't really see
> running more than two kumanos, especially while getting rid of a slogger
> - just see - slogger is bigger for the same mana cost and isn't

No, just 2 of Kumano. I removed the 4th Slogger to make room for the 2nd
Kumano. I guess the real reason I want to get Kumano out is the removed from
game mechanic. That really helps against these silly modular and spirit cards
that seem to be everywhere :) and might be a reason to put a 3rd Kumano in the
sideboard, but I think running 2 main should be enough.

>>> drop the lightnings - add the stone rains instead :)
>>> well - powering a slogger on turn three can be really good, but i've had
>>> bad experience with the songs... i prefer simulacrums or wayfarer's
>>> baubles, but the chrome moxen are very good, too...
>> Ahh.. solemns and moxen. If only... I just don't have any, and not sure
>> Santa is going to bring me any this year, either. The seething has been
>> pretty goood in this deck, as I have at least 9 things that cost 5 mana. The
>> Lightning, Kumano, and the slogger. This way, I always have something to use
>> them for, and the three to the head as well as getting rid of a threat has
>> been pretty nice.
>
> well - i don't like the lightnings, but they were played in the block...

What about magma jets instead of the barbed lightnings? Would that + 4
glacial rays be too many 2 damage cards?

> i like the baubles, because they allow third turn whelp and really help
> in the late game - drawing a land where there should be your kumano or
> slogger is a bad thing ;)

That's a good point. I'll give them a try, I think. On their face, they just
look too slow to me, but sometimes playing a card can really surprise you.

> ah, that's it... bo you find splicing that often to justify running a
> card that is a one-shot only-player burn?

Well, again, they're in there partly for the splice and partly for the cheap
damage to power a war elemental. If (more likely when) I take those out, the
spikes will go out, as well. The glacials can splice onto themselves, as
well, which is still nice. I do like having an opponent know that I have a
glacial ray in my hand; it slows them down.

>>> zo-zu's fit well here :)
>> Definitely, and they might go up and replace the War Elementals in the main.
>> Luckily, 3 is exactly what I have of Zo-zu, so I'm good to go there.
>> I'm wondering, how much LD is too much? Would 4 Moltens + 2 stone rains
>> sound about right? Ahh, where's Pillage when I need it?
>
> yup, but if you run zo-zu's main, you shoul up the number of land-d
> spells - i'd run 8-10 of them - 8 rains and possibly 2 demolishes...

That's a good idea; I hadn't thought of using demolish. I still long for the
pillages. :( Also, in this environment, shatters can double as land
destruction against many decks. That's where my running echoing ruin mostly
stemmed from. I love the idea of destroying 2 of an opponent's lands for 2
mana.

I think I might try the Zo-Zu main for a bit. It should really up the tempo
of the deck against most opponents, I think.

thanks again!

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net