Black Rat Discard Deck

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Looking for ideas to make this deck better. Does well in casual games
at my old local card shop, but want to try it out against others.

// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands 21
20 Swamp
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
// Creatures 15
2 Nezumi Bone Reader
2 Marrow Gnawer
1 Nezumi Shortfang
4 Nezumi Cutthroat
4 Chittering Rats
1 Nezumi Grave Robber
1 Ravenous Rats
// Spells 18
1 Fill With Fright
1 Raise Dead
1 Consume Spirit
1 Swallowing Plague
2 Rend Flesh
4 Terror
2 Wrench Mind
1 Night's Whisper
2 Pulse of The Dross
3 Distress
// Artifacts 6
2 Darksteel Pendant
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Skullcage
1 Coat of Arms

// Sideboard
TBD

Arcane Nitehawk
Christmas is coming weather we like it or not.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Here ya go, I hope the comments are helpful. They are not from any formal
play-testing. I have built one extremely casual rat deck, right as
Champions was coming out, so it didn't have any of the good new rats in it
(and still runs plague rats, which I think are funny).
So these comments are based on only looking at your decklist.
I am, however, interested in making a rat deck, at least for casual play, so I
hope this thread can expand and improve upon this deck. I also hope it
doesn't go in the "20 Relentless Rats" direction ;)

On 2004-12-21, Brent Williams <arcaner-nospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> // Creatures 15
> 2 Nezumi Bone Reader
> 2 Marrow Gnawer
> 1 Nezumi Shortfang
> 4 Nezumi Cutthroat
> 4 Chittering Rats
> 1 Nezumi Grave Robber
> 1 Ravenous Rats

I think here, as well as in other places, you have too many 1 and 2-ofs.
That's usually a bad idea. I'd drop the cutthroats, as I don't think they're
that good. Sure, they have fear, but better to up the number of
marrow-gnawers and let *all* your rats have fear. The Ronin are better than
the cutthroat, IMHO, although they're both vulnerable to the same types of
removal spells. I think more grave robbers and shortfangs, their synergy
appears to go well with this deck, as you can keep forcing the discard.
Getting the grave robber out first would be best, as it's incredibly easy to
flip him in the early game. Once he's flipped, all your directed discard and
removal spells help you, since you can take the creatures out of their
graveyard. I'd run 4 of them probably. You can put a second (or third, or
fourth) just as long as you don't continue to use their ability, they're
basically a cutthroat which can block. Especially when you get the
gnawer out.
I'd also go with more shortfangs. He's pretty powerful once flipped, and
again, with the ganwer out, he's probably doing 3+ 2 0r 3 damage per turn, all
by himself.

Also, I think in general you need more creatures.

> // Spells 18
> 1 Fill With Fright
> 1 Raise Dead
> 1 Consume Spirit
> 1 Swallowing Plague
> 2 Rend Flesh
> 4 Terror
> 2 Wrench Mind
> 1 Night's Whisper
> 2 Pulse of The Dross
> 3 Distress

The pulse is neat, but when you cast it, do your opponents ever really have
more cards than you so that you can return it to your hand? Run 4 distress.
I think the ability to target a specific card is really helpful in the early
game, as opposed to two random cards from Wrench Mind. Scry is nice, but a 4
mana Wrench Mind, and only one of them? Drop the plague and run more consume
spirits. The spirit can target either creatures or players, and since you're
running only black mana, there's no reason to run the plague, although it has
great flavor. I'd probably run four of these, and drop the terrors (or, at
least two of them) as they will be useless against the many artifacts and
black creatures you run across.

> // Artifacts 6
> 2 Darksteel Pendant
> 1 Sensei's Divining Top

I'd drop both of these for more creatures, although, if you're having
troubles, the top can smooth them out. Running more than one is better, so
you can do tricks with it, however, I don't think you have any way to shuffle
your library, which is yucky. Instead of these, I'd go for card drawing like
Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost. If you're having trouble finding the
cards you need, you could add some tutors.

> 1 Sword of Light and Shadow

I'd drop the sword for the reanimator rat. With fear, you'll probably be
hitting them, but will you need the life & creature at that point? I suspect
the game will be won or lost by that point, although I could be wrong. Also,
if you give your rat protection from black, he loses abililities gained from
the other rats, like fear. I like the sword, but not sure how well it works
here. Fire and Ice might be better, which would protect your rat from removal
spells.

> // Sideboard
> TBD

Cranial Extraction, definitely. I know getting them is hard, but I've lost
games to a distress followed by a cranial which essentially wiped out my hand,
and took my kokushos to boot.

hope this helps, and look forward to seeing an updated decklist,

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Kevin,

Thank you for your comments. Here is the newest version of this deck
with notes. More comments would be appriciated. Let's breathe some
life into this newsgroup.

// FORMAT: Standard
// Lands 21
20 Swamp
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse [mainly for Horrabi<sp>]
// Creatures 18
4 Chittering Rats
4 Nezumi Cutthroat[Place holder for Nezumi Ronin]
3 Ravenous Rats [looking to get another]
3 Nezumi Bone-reader
2 Marrow Gnawer
1 Nezumi Grave Robber
1 Nezumi Shortfang
// Spells 18
3 Swallowing Plague [place holder for Consume Spirit]
1 Consume Spirit
4 Raise Dead [may toss]
2 Terror
2 Rend Flesh [spot creature removal]
3 Distress [looking for another]
1 Night's Whiwsper [may toss]
2 Wrench Mind
// Artifacts 3
1 Geth's Grimoire (want more)
1 Coat of Arms (want more)
1 Skull Cage (want more)
// Sideboard
3 Rend Spirit [need a fourth, -> terror & rend flesh]
4 Gibbering Kami [Flyers -> cutthroat]
8 Junk

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi Brent,

nice to see that someone else is bringing up this topic.

OK, let's see what my two cents are ;D ...

For the record, we(a friend and me) are playing similiar mono black
aggro rats.

// FORMAT: Standard
Okkie, np

// Lands 21
20 Swamp

1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse [mainly for Horrabi<sp>]

Do you think one Shizo is enough? We go by the count of two, one SB

// Creatures 18
4 Chittering Rats
4 Nezumi Cutthroat[Place holder for Nezumi Ronin]
3 Ravenous Rats [looking to get another]
3 Nezumi Bone-reader
2 Marrow Gnawer
1 Nezumi Grave Robber
1 Nezumi Shortfang

Generally a good creature count, but I cannot agree with the choice of
rats.
e.g. Bone-reader: OK, the guy is amusing and if you have the
marrow-gnawer engine
revved, he kicks ass. But the Shortfang is more effective around here.
Also the Graverobber is your only option vs. Green-Blue Control and
Witness recursion.

// Spells 18
3 Swallowing Plague [place holder for Consume Spirit]
1 Consume Spirit
4 Raise Dead [may toss]
2 Terror
2 Rend Flesh [spot creature removal]
3 Distress [looking for another]
1 Night's Whisper [may toss]
2 Wrench Mind
Spells... hmm there my friend and I parted ways.
He goes the discard lane, using 4 distress, 4 wrench mind, 2 waking
nightmares
and wreaks havoc on control. Me, I went the board control way, using
rend flesh and echoing decays, backed up by two consume spirit.

// Artifacts 3
1 Geth's Grimoire (want more)
1 Coat of Arms (want more)
1 Skull Cage (want more)

several nice cards, but you should decide which one to use.
Me, I liked -->>your<<-- idea of skullcage to give it a shot.
I removed 2 cutthroats for those skullcages. Let's see if it works 8).
I used to play 2 coats main, but found mostly I played it vs Ponza, so
I moved it to the SB.

// Sideboard

3 Rend Spirit [need a fourth, -> terror & rend flesh]

4 Gibbering Kami [Flyers -> cutthroat]

8 Junk

..... SB depends on your local meta, a few choices woulb be nice here.

OK, after talking so much gibberish, here my current list of my
deck.

//NAME: Skaven Army.dec, version 1.3

//Creatures
2 Marrow-Gnawer
-> Non-rat deck uses Kokusho
4 Chittering Rats
-> You use Ronin, Both are ok
4 Nezumi Shortfang--Stabwhisker the Odious -> The
deadest rat of all
2 Nezumi Graverobber--Nighteyes the Desecrator -> If he
discards, thanks!
4 Ravenous Rats
-> more hand destruction

//Spells
4 Rend Flesh
-> Creature elemination
2 Death Cloud
-> Board control
4 Distress
-> hand destruction
4 Lose Hope
-> Creature Elimination+Speed

//Enchantments
4 Phyrexian Arena
-> Card drawing engine

//Artifacts
2 Oblivion Stones
-> Board control
2 Skullcage
-> Testing, should work nicely
4 Chrome Mox
-> Mana Accel

//Lands
17 Swamp
-> Mana, what else ;D
2 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
-> Anti-Horobi

// Sideboard:
SB: 3 Waking Nightmare
-> Got no Cranials
SB: 2 Death Cloud
-> vs control and ww
SB: 2 Consume Spirit
-> vs aggro/affinity/control
SB: 3 Echoing Decay
-> vs creature swarms
SB: 2 Coat of Arms
-> vs mass destruction (pyro?)
SB: 2 Nezumi Graverobber--Nighteyes the Desecrator -> vs graveyard
recursion

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Without comments the decklist of my friend....

//NAME: T2_-_MonoBlackRats.mwDeck

// Lands
18 Swamp
2 Shizo, Death's Storehouse

// Creatures
4 Nezumi Shortfang--Stabwhisker the Odious
2 Marrow-Gnawer
1 Nezumi Bone-Reader
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Chittering Rats
2 Nezumi Cutthroat
4 Nezumi Graverobber--Nighteyes the Desecrator

//Spells
4 Distress
2 Waking Nightmare
4 Rend Flesh
2 Death Cloud
4 Night's Whisper
4 Wrench Mind

// Sideboard:
SB: 2 Nezumi Graverobber--Nighteyes the Desecrator
SB: 2 Death Cloud
SB: 4 Hideous Laughter
SB: 3 Cranial Extraction
SB: 4 Befoul