Canon S520 printhead

edwin

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004

Hi,

I am trying to find what printhead is in the Canon S520. It's confusing as
sometimes they mention the 33e and sometimes it's the 34e. Is there someone
who know's the answere?

Best regards,
Edwin

According to Canon's Service Manual for the S520, the printhead is the
QY6-0034.

Blitzko

"Edwin" <ednasmoen@demon.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find what printhead is in the Canon S520. It's confusing as
> sometimes they mention the 33e and sometimes it's the 34e. Is there
someone
> who know's the answere?
>
> Best regards,
> Edwin

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:08:06 -0400, "Blitzko"
<blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>According to Canon's Service Manual for the S520, the printhead is the
>QY6-0034.
>
>Blitzko

I have exactly this model printer, and I suspect the print head is
clogged for lack of use. How do I go about getting one of these? Any
idea on the price?

Phil

"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:08:06 -0400, "Blitzko"
> <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >According to Canon's Service Manual for the S520, the printhead is the
> >QY6-0034.
> >
> >Blitzko
>
> I have exactly this model printer, and I suspect the print head is
> clogged for lack of use. How do I go about getting one of these? Any
> idea on the price?
>
> Phil

You need to contact your in-country Canon service people (I don't know what
country you reside in) to get a price. The price might be as much as 60% of
the cost of a new printer. I've seen them for about $60US for the S520.

Have you tried to clean the head? These sites have some good instructions on
cleaning clogged Canon printheads.
http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/index.html and
http://www.inkjetsaver.com/clean.html

Good luck.

Blitzko

--
============================
A persons life is not measured by its

"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:08:06 -0400, "Blitzko"
> <blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >According to Canon's Service Manual for the S520, the printhead is the
> >QY6-0034.
> >
> >Blitzko
>
> I have exactly this model printer, and I suspect the print head is
> clogged for lack of use. How do I go about getting one of these? Any
> idea on the price?
>
> Phil
>

> >"Edwin" <ednasmoen@demon.nl> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to find what printhead is in the Canon S520. It's confusing
as
> >> sometimes they mention the 33e and sometimes it's the 34e. Is there
> >someone
> >> who know's the answere?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Edwin

I just paid Canon parts $92.21 including shipping this morning for a
QY6-0043 that fits an i950.

We're in the wrong business...

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:53:05 -0400, "Blitzko"
<blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Have you tried to clean the head? These sites have some good instructions on
>cleaning clogged Canon printheads.
>http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/index.html and
>http://www.inkjetsaver.com/clean.html

I agree that these sites have good instructions, although I think that
I like the "weink" instructions better because of their "reverse
purging approach."
http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/tsg02.htm

However ... neither of these sites provides instructions on exactly
HOW to remove the print head. I tried it myself, by pulling up on the
print head, but it didn't budge, and I didn't want to force anything.

Nothing on the Canon web site, of course.

>Good luck.
>
>Blitzko

--W--

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:47:07 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:53:05 -0400, "Blitzko"
><blitzkoNO_SPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Have you tried to clean the head? These sites have some good instructions on
>>cleaning clogged Canon printheads.
>>http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/index.html and
>>http://www.inkjetsaver.com/clean.html
>
>I agree that these sites have good instructions, although I think that
>I like the "weink" instructions better because of their "reverse
>purging approach."
>http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/tsg02.htm
>
>However ... neither of these sites provides instructions on exactly
>HOW to remove the print head. I tried it myself, by pulling up on the
>print head, but it didn't budge, and I didn't want to force anything.
>
>Nothing on the Canon web site, of course.
>

>>Good luck.
>>
>>Blitzko
>

>--W--

I assume it came with the printhead installed then? If not, then look
in your manual and reverse the steps of installing it

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:26:15 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>>However ... neither of these sites provides instructions on exactly
>>HOW to remove the print head. I tried it myself, by pulling up on the
>>print head, but it didn't budge, and I didn't want to force anything.

>I assume it came with the printhead installed then? If not, then look
>in your manual and reverse the steps of installing it

The printhead was already installed. The manual covered the steps
necessary to remove the orange "shipping protection" pieces as well as
the usual installation items. Otherwise, silent.

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:26:15 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
>

> >>However ... neither of these sites provides instructions on exactly
> >>HOW to remove the print head. I tried it myself, by pulling up on the
> >>print head, but it didn't budge, and I didn't want to force anything.
>

> >I assume it came with the printhead installed then? If not, then look
> >in your manual and reverse the steps of installing it
>
> The printhead was already installed. The manual covered the steps
> necessary to remove the orange "shipping protection" pieces as well as
> the usual installation items. Otherwise, silent.

If the printhead was already installed in your S520 then you bought an
'Open-Box' unit as the printhead should have been in a sealed foil pouch. To
remove it lift the lever on the side of the carriage and it simply lifts
out.

As for the cleaning instructions on the mentioned sites, not something I
would recommend.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:57:42 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

>> >I assume it came with the printhead installed then? If not, then look
>> >in your manual and reverse the steps of installing it
>>
>> The printhead was already installed. The manual covered the steps
>> necessary to remove the orange "shipping protection" pieces as well as
>> the usual installation items. Otherwise, silent.
>>

>If the printhead was already installed in your S520 then you bought an
>'Open-Box' unit as the printhead should have been in a sealed foil pouch. To
>remove it lift the lever on the side of the carriage and it simply lifts
>out.

Well, it was the lever that "closes over" the printhead from above,
but still the printhead + cartridges came out so easily, I could kick
myself for not noticing this before. Cheez, and you would have to
assume that I was some kind of noob, which I certainly am not.

>As for the cleaning instructions on the mentioned sites, not something I
>would recommend.

I still have the problem of a clogged printhead. If the instructions
on these sites, particularly the back-flushing, aren't recommended,
that what IS recommended? I would much prefer not to buy a new
printhead. For me, the color printer is secondary to my speedy new
Samsung 2152, so it gets infrequent use. Thus, I know that I will
certainly have this problem again, and i can't solve the problem by
buying a new printer each time I need to do some maps or photos!

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:02:35 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
wrote:

>I still have the problem of a clogged printhead. If the instructions
>on these sites, particularly the back-flushing, aren't recommended,
>that what IS recommended?

Do the back flushing as recommended by many and proven to work.
Overall, its cheaper than buying a new printhead.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:50:50 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:02:35 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I still have the problem of a clogged printhead. If the instructions
>>on these sites, particularly the back-flushing, aren't recommended,
>>that what IS recommended?
>

>Do the back flushing as recommended by many and proven to work.
>Overall, its cheaper than buying a new printhead.

Thanks. Intuitively back flushing should work.

--W--

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:26:24 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
wrote:

>Thanks. Intuitively back flushing should work.
>
>--W--

It does work. Someone just posted a thank you to everyone that helped
and recommended the same cleaning method.