Sign in with
Your question

Is nVidia "cheating" again?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2003 7:09:45 PM

<A HREF="http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030818/detonato..." target="_new">http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030818/detonato...;/A>

I was a little bit confused when I saw this benchmark...

Because in the first page of this article, they talked a lot about the NEW nVidia policy about code optimisation. whatdo you think about that?

And the worst in this neverending story is for FutureMark. They makes money over a benchmark that now gives so much confusing results depending on drivers release and hardware maker claims.

In the long run, the only REAL looser is FutureMark. They lost credibility because of other company. They can't control this!

Well, I still believe that someday, we will have a TRUE neutral benchmark... I'm so optimistic! This will kill me!!!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

More about : nvidia cheating

August 18, 2003 8:02:58 PM

Yup, that is suspicious all right. No one knows just what nVidia did yet. We can only hope ExtremeTech or another tech website with the dev kit can explore the test.

I've yet to hear about the 3dMark Aniso filtering filename cheat.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.
August 18, 2003 8:03:02 PM

dude, you still owe me one of those soap bars.....

It's not about good or bad, it's about which gets you rich and laid faster.
Related resources
August 18, 2003 8:08:36 PM

I wish we will learn soon!

Because it's suspicious that ONLY 3DMark get improvements in performance... Will see!

--
August 18, 2003 8:12:02 PM

That is very true, and it does worry me. I don't know anymore how to base 3DMark's performance.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
August 18, 2003 8:12:24 PM

And you claimed you come here to hang around and contribute?

--
August 18, 2003 8:31:40 PM

Yup.. Now, 3DMark results are useful for comparison between GPU of the same manufacturer only...

--
August 18, 2003 9:14:08 PM

Quote:
Futuremark deactivated with the Patch v330, are active once again in the new driver

Sound like a good ol' cat and mouse game again!
August 18, 2003 10:50:14 PM

More Hog Slop.
Did you read they them selves couldn't make a sure statment about the test.So why they even put that comment in is beyond me.Bad review and on top of it do a under the table kick.Hell don't add a test result if you have doughts about that part of the test if you can't back it up with proof.Wait untill you have the facts befor rushing out the swinging door they can hit you in the butt.

BTW A BIG FAT "NO" on cheating.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS
August 18, 2003 11:30:00 PM

Lars Weinand did make one error saying that you can't force full Tri-linear in anisotropic filtering with ATI series (R300 and above chips) unless the game has AF setting in it. Two ways in forcing full trilinear with AF with ATI cards (R300 series and up).

If you are a reg hacker, then go into ATI drivers and set:
<b>AnisoType</b> to <b>0</b>
This will give you full forced Tri-linear filtering using AF in any game.

AnisoType set to 1 is the Control Panel Bilinear setting or Performance setting
Ansiotype set to 2 is the Control Panel Quality setting, a mixture of Tri and Bi-linear filtered samples for anisotropic filtering.

The other method is to use <b>rTool</b> which pretty much does the same thing as above but more convenient to use from your desktop. Plus <b>rTool</b> can set AA as well.

<A HREF="http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/rtool.php" target="_new">http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/rtool.php&lt;/A>
August 18, 2003 11:35:24 PM

id cry if nvidia screwed up again, cry

ATI hate you
August 18, 2003 11:39:16 PM

Given that we are speculating right now, you're inputing as much as I am- nothing. I was trying to lighten up the situation, but I suppose then that a nvidia possibly cheating <i>is</i> life threatening.

August 19, 2003 12:38:03 AM

Really Eden, lighten up. You think you're God's gift to this forum? It's a community, some comments have what you would consider 'input' or relavence, and others don't.

I know you'll come up with some remark bashing me but guess what. Who cares.

I've flamed some people, so what. At least I'm not a complete dumbass like Sharkmeat (and some others), and know when to use spaces.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd
August 19, 2003 12:53:09 AM

they better not this time~~

nonono, lemme rephase

they better not get caught this time

lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
August 19, 2003 12:55:22 AM

That's really good info. What about forcing it on Nvidia cards?

August 19, 2003 1:19:19 AM

Quote:
At least I'm not a complete dumbass like Sharkmeat

Hahaha I don't think that dude has ever had something interesting to say.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>
August 19, 2003 1:21:47 AM

Something fishy is going on. If they find out nVidia is cheating again, I'm off nVidia forever. How pathetic...

August 19, 2003 1:28:20 AM

he made fun of the FAQ, guy let's pinch him then show him "stuff" lol

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 19, 2003 2:28:59 AM

Quote:
You think you're God's gift to this forum?

No, do you?

Quote:
It's a community, some comments have what you would consider 'input' or relavence, and others don't.

As a user who has been here for a very longer time than you and knows this place much more than you ever will, I know that.
Flame targetted us in another thread claiming how we need to go out, what with how much we care about this. He deserves every bit of criticism, as he is only acting stupid.
Quote:
I know you'll come up with some remark bashing me

That's your job.

Quote:
I've flamed some people, so what.

One of these days we'll go aboard that subject, but not for now.

Quote:
and know when to use spaces.

Great! Now we have a thing in common!

--
August 19, 2003 2:30:38 AM

Yes I am also giving nVidia a lifeline here. If they screw it up, god knows what most of us here will do.

Trust me, there is only one person who will continue supporting them even if they screw up again and that is Flamethrower. Since he does not "care" about what is going on, hey, nVidia can screw him for all he wants! :eek: 

--
August 19, 2003 2:36:23 AM

What is your input on nVidia's cheating, PS?

--
August 19, 2003 3:00:20 AM

Another misconception brought to you by Eden.

August 19, 2003 3:00:50 AM

Hmm, seems ya took the need to get out remark a tad seriously. Bravo.

August 19, 2003 4:27:15 AM

Willamette_Sucks you have never said anything that made sense.Far as space,you have it all between your ears that leave me with none to use.
As for you daddywaggs214 seem you follow Willamette_Sucks so you be like a good boy and follow his lead,Beside either one of you couldn't make a good scab on my behind.Most all the post you do is either calling people names or just jiveing.you really trying to make people think you are smart with your wise cracks,what a joke you are.What you really need is a life.

This is the last time I will honor you with a reply because you are not worth the effort.No matter what names you call me or how much space ¿.........¿ you deside to let go between your ears.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ref Willamette_Sucks "quote"
I've flamed some people, so what. At least I'm not a complete dumbass like Sharkmeat (and some others), and know when to use spaces.
-----------------------------------------------------------
TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SharkMeat on 08/19/03 01:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 19, 2003 4:29:24 AM

Haven't met you before. You seem like a nice guy, what's your stance on this whole thing?

August 19, 2003 5:02:40 AM

Flamethrower Are you talking about this thread!! far as my input goes ?.If so I have a post on the first page of this thread with my view on the subject.
Thx,s: I try to be nice toward people that care,and I try to help others when I know what I,m talking about.

August 19, 2003 5:17:51 AM

Funny, I don't see anything wrong with your pov on the first page. In fact it makes sense.

PS: If NV didn't cheat, I fear Eden and others would actually die.

August 19, 2003 5:18:49 AM

Quote:
That's really good info. What about forcing it on Nvidia cards?

ive investigated this at Nvnews.net and all the people there say there is NO registry entry to change the filtering mode. just doesnt exist... very little options to tweak nv cards thru the registry in fact

so yes ive wondered about this too

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
August 19, 2003 5:20:47 AM

O shiznit! Thanks man, I just remembered, I gotta do a hex compare on the driver revisions for a few hacks.

August 19, 2003 5:28:18 AM

Ok then, so just mod the drivers. Perhaps a rivetuner type hack?

August 19, 2003 5:31:33 AM

Quote:
Really Eden, lighten up. You think you're God's gift to this forum? It's a community, some comments have what you would consider 'input' or relavence, and others don't.

well he does alot more for this place than you do.

you just flame the occasional noob who doesnt know that much about graphics cards...

well i agree with him because the input your talking about is

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
August 19, 2003 5:36:19 AM

The title of this thread is a little off....
Nvidia cant be cheating <b>again</b>, because they've never stopped cheating. The new drivers are encrypted, thats why no one know's if the 3DMark cheats are still there. Alexey Rivatuner guy cant run his anti-detect scripts, Futuremark beta partners like Beyond 3D are only left speculating about why the drivers do this or that...
We know for sure that Nvidia is cheating in the UT2003 benchmarks by hacking trilinear filtering out of the game options. That has alot of people arguing and debating.
It's easy to get all miffed about what Nvidia is doing, or isnt doing. Lord know's it's given me hours of on line fun going around in circles. I just dont think it's ever going to end. Soon we'll have more IHV's in the mix, and that should release some pressure off of poor Nvidia:) .....

Eden, Willamette and Flamethrower.....you guy's never used to fight this bad. What the [-peep-] is going on around here?

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.
August 19, 2003 5:54:12 AM

gw, it a love triangle thing, they'll sort it out ;) 

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 19, 2003 5:56:22 AM

You best include Phial too.

August 19, 2003 5:57:35 AM

Well eden wanted to use the beads, but I said no. The Phial came in and he forgot to get the lube, which really ticked off williamette cause last time he had trouble sitting down after everything was done. So we got into a big fight.

August 19, 2003 5:58:46 AM

GW, see?

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 19, 2003 6:04:39 AM

Oh no!
My boys are growing up to be sicker then I am!<shock>

August 19, 2003 6:07:00 AM

hello geneticweapon
First off Nvidia is not poor from along shot,far as cheating how do you take something out that is made to run in the game,and not show a decrease in performance.In my view if the game runs fine and plays fine what is the big deal about the drivers.If ATI finds away to make there games run faster I beleave they would do it.As for the bench make scores get more than one or two do a review or hell have ever one do a review on the drivers.Maybe TOM left some renants of the old drivers install lol joken of course.To me it is all about nothing.I love the 45.23 drivers work great for me.
OH and BTW geneticweapon glad to meet you.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SharkMeat on 08/19/03 02:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 19, 2003 6:17:44 AM

GW, that because u been away so long, all the gay ones misses u and start fighting over ur picutres lol

120% nVidia Fanboy
August 19, 2003 6:31:27 AM

Quote:
hello geneticweapon
First off Nvidia is not poor from along shot

Really?
Thanks for taking me seriously[not]...do you know who I am?
Quote:
far as cheating how do you take something out that is made to run in the game,and not show a decrease in performance.

I'm not sure, but I think your talking about the trilinear issues in UT2003. If that is the case, then all I can tell you is that if you turn on tri filtering, either in game, or via the NV driver control panel, you will not get tri filtering in the UT game or benchmark. This is on the FX boards we're talking about here. Nvidia is doing this so that when the game benchmark is used, the FX cards will score higher then they should.
Quote:
In my view if the game runs fine and plays fine what is the big deal about the drivers.

In your case, the games probably <b>do</b> look fine and play fine. Your a guy that is just getting into all this graphics BS, and hasnt had your eyes and mind opened yet:) ~
Quote:
If ATI finds away to make there games run faster I beleave they would do it

To a certain extent. ATi boards make games run really fast without a discernable loss of IQ, which can hardly be said about Nvidia these days.
Quote:
As for the bench make scores get more than one or two do a review or hell have ever one do a review on the drivers.

Your english is breaking up here, but I believe your saying that reviewers should run benchmarks more than once, and even do a review of the drivers.
To this I say....that todays reviewers must do that tenfold....and then some.
Even then, most reviews still suck.
Quote:
To me it is all about nothing.I love the 45.23 drivers work great for me.

In my hand I have two pills. A blue one, and a red one.....which do you choose.......:) 

August 19, 2003 6:32:59 AM

Quote:
GW, that because u been away so long, all the gay ones misses u and start fighting over ur picutres lol

Awwww....thats sweet:) 

August 19, 2003 7:11:36 AM

Yeah there is fighting. But hey, you won't see me cuss at 'em, I'm Eden, an innocent garden! :wink:

Good to have you back into this bud.

--
August 19, 2003 7:14:02 AM

If you do your research right, your conclusion will likely converge into ours, which is that nVidia cheated a lot, and might be improving now.

GW's statements say otherwise, however, so that furthers the situation.

--
August 19, 2003 8:20:54 AM

LOL I had all the new high end cards that come out FX5900ultra pny and the ATI 9800 pro ATI model and neither one showed me that much with the games they have out,I use a GF4 ti4600 and I will use it till the newer cards stand up and be counted now don't get me wrong they are great cards ,but not the dollar value diff to play the games of today with.As you said they have to change things to make the cards look good.Don't you think they would have lean by now the rules of the game,and if they get caught it will be hell to pay.Could it be someone trying to shoot nvidia in the foot.If it is as easy as you say then,they should be hung out to dry if they are that stupid.I been into graphic,s awhile and I,m not blind at what goes on.But I don't think a revier should throw in stuff (comments) that puts things into peoples mind that something is not right ,but never haven the real proof of the flaw they found befor posting the review.PS Plz forgive my grammer I'm not very good.In collage I got a D-,but that was the best looking D-I ever saw.
BTW:You ask do I know who you are,to me it dosen't matter who you are.I do not know you,but you could be god and I still would say hello.I come here to share info,and also and try and help people if I can.
PS:when I have more time I will tell you about a test I did with 5 video cards to 5 diff people.What a laugh to see then try and guess.

August 19, 2003 12:11:39 PM

What kind of performance hit will I get from the forced tri trick?
August 19, 2003 12:13:51 PM

Also NVIDIA cheats in DOOM 3 as they work with id software... nVidia cheating with drivers for game (i mean they know structure of game and make theyr drivers work faster) THEY CHEAT!

p.s. nvidia burn in hellcheaters
August 19, 2003 12:45:23 PM

Quote:
As for you daddywaggs214 seem you follow Willamette_Sucks so you be like a good boy and follow his lead,Beside either one of you couldn't make a good scab on my behind.

First of all, I'll follow anyone with whom I agree, be it Will, Eden, or Grape. I don't always "follow his lead" because half the time I'm telling Will to be nicer to the poor noobs. In this particular scenario, Willamette was right. Nothing that you had said up to that point was meaningful to me, so I agreed. The only reason that Will gets away with what he does is because he can mix his namecalling with actual facts. And I'm not looking to make scabs on anyone's behinds, so don't worry about that. And since when have I been a namecaller?

!