Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

My deck:
total (40)cards
3 Mother of Runes
2 Peach Garden Oath
4 Soltari Foot Soldier
4 Soltari Trooper
1 Soltari Priest (looking for 2 more)
1 Soltari Monk (looking for 2 more)
4 Pacifism
4 Congregate
4 Kitar's Desire
1 Remote Farm (looking for 2 more)
12 Plains

wins 90% of the time, attributed to horrible hands or anti-white
opponents

Thoughts?

On 28 Dec 2004 22:26:20 -0800, skysoul@gmail.com wrote:

>My deck:
>total (40)cards
>3 Mother of Runes
>2 Peach Garden Oath
>4 Soltari Foot Soldier
>4 Soltari Trooper
>1 Soltari Priest (looking for 2 more)
>1 Soltari Monk (looking for 2 more)
>4 Pacifism
>4 Congregate
>4 Kitar's Desire
>1 Remote Farm (looking for 2 more)
>12 Plains
>

>wins 90% of the time, attributed to horrible hands or anti-white
>opponents
>

>Thoughts?

My first thought was that it shouldn't win 90% of the time against
opponents with comparable collections. This was my first thought
because I skipped past the decklist.
My second thought is that it isn't legal in any sanctioned tournament
format. Decks need to be 60 cards, minimum.

Further thoughts include:
Is this for multiplayer? The Congregates really shine there, and the
Peach Garden Oaths are good for a longer game, too. I wouldn't think
you'd need too much lifegain as your deck should be pretty aggresive
with Shadow... I suppose you might not be killing as fast as you'd
like, and that may explain the lifegain and the creature castration
(Pacifism and Desire). I think that you'd be better off making your
kill faster...
-- pseudosoldier

<skysoul@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My deck:
> total (40)cards
> 3 Mother of Runes
> 2 Peach Garden Oath
> 4 Soltari Foot Soldier
> 4 Soltari Trooper
> 1 Soltari Priest (looking for 2 more)
> 1 Soltari Monk (looking for 2 more)
> 4 Pacifism
> 4 Congregate
> 4 Kitar's Desire
> 1 Remote Farm (looking for 2 more)
> 12 Plains
>
> wins 90% of the time, attributed to horrible hands or anti-white
> opponents
>
> Thoughts?

1. Upgrade to 60 cards. If you plan on using this in any kind of Constructed
tournament format, 60 cards is the minimum (as well as the suggested maximum
for 99+ % of decks.

2. You're playing with Shadow, which is Tempest Block. Soo.. looks like
Extended to me. If you're trying for Type 1 or 1.5, you'll need Swords to
Plowshares instead of Kirtar's Desire for sure, and Disenchant is rarely a
dead card in any format it's legal in. Do you plan on playing this in some
sort of tournament? If so, tell us the format and we'll have a better idea
what to suggest.

3. Most decks I've seen generally run somewhere around 40% mana slots in
their decks. Type 1 does this because of the prevalence of Strip Mine,
Wasteland vs nonbasic lands, Sinkhole, Pillage, and especially now because
of Crucible of the Worlds. I'm not so familiar with Extended, so I can't
really comment there unfortunately, but from every deck list I've seen over
the last couple years, 24 mana slots (I count ESG's, Land Grant, fetchies,
and the like as "mana slots") seems do be a typical base, with quick aggro
running a little less (rarely less than 18) and control a lil more (as high
as 26-28 in some cases).

So.. Tell us more about what you want out of this deck, and we'll see what
we can do to help. :) Keep in mind that however you decide to do it,
everyone in the same group of people generally builds by the same rules, so
tell us what rules you're using. :)

Erich