2.66 to 3.06 upgrade

I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.

Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and it seems like there are
two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in the $200 range.

Not willing to pay that.

BUT.

Isn't there always a but?

There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478 pin
(according to the auctions).

Will these work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    Mobile processors are for laptops. Upgrading a CPU is not a cost effective
    upgrade. Instead, save your money and consider this:

    Dimension 4700 P4-2.8Ghz Desktop $449 shipped Includes Latest Tech: DDR2,
    PCI Express, Serial ATA HD
    Dimension 4700 P4 520 2.8Ghz/800Mhz Bus Desktop Free 512MB DDR2-400/40GB
    Serial ATA HD, Free 48x CDRW, Ethernet, 6 months ISP, Word Perfect, XP Home
    SP2, 2yr warranty $449 after $150 rebate, shipped free.

    Ted Zieglar

    >I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
    >the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
    >
    > Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and it seems like there
    > are two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in the $200
    > range.
    >
    > Not willing to pay that.
    >
    > BUT.
    >
    > Isn't there always a but?
    >
    > There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478 pin
    > (according to the auctions).
    >
    > Will these work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tom

    Oh I know all that. I've got a 1/2 dozen Dells in the house including a
    nice, new 8400. If I could get a CPU cheap, then .....

    What prevents a Mobile CPU from working?

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Oh I know all that. I've got a 1/2 dozen Dells in the house
    > including a nice, new 8400. If I could get a CPU cheap, then .....
    >
    > What prevents a Mobile CPU from working?
    >
    > Tom
    >> Mobile processors are for laptops. Upgrading a CPU is not a cost
    >> effective upgrade. Instead, save your money and consider this:
    >>
    >> Dimension 4700 P4-2.8Ghz Desktop $449 shipped Includes Latest Tech:
    >> DDR2, PCI Express, Serial ATA HD
    >> Dimension 4700 P4 520 2.8Ghz/800Mhz Bus Desktop Free 512MB
    >> DDR2-400/40GB Serial ATA HD, Free 48x CDRW, Ethernet, 6 months ISP,
    >> Word Perfect, XP Home SP2, 2yr warranty $449 after $150 rebate,
    >> shipped free. Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor.
    >>> According to the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes
    >>> sense, so far. Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and
    >>> it seems like
    >>> there are two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in
    >>> the $200 range.
    >>>
    >>> Not willing to pay that.
    >>>
    >>> BUT.
    >>>
    >>> Isn't there always a but?
    >>>
    >>> There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478
    >>> pin (according to the auctions).
    >>>
    >>> Will these work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
    Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

    > Tom Scales wrote:

    > The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
    > Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

    That's what I suspected.

    >> Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >> The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
    >> Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

    > That's what I suspected.

    The mobile chip (SL77P) runs from somewhere around 1.2v up to 1.55 and has
    speed step - and there's another mobile 3.06 (SL7DT) that runs 1.25 to 1.4v
    (http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Mobile%20Pentium%204.html) , whereas the *3*
    desktop chips default at slightly different volatages. (
    http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Pentium%204.html ).

    All the desktop chips are 0.13nm Northwoods, so I'm not quite sure why the
    differences....

    Stew

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
    >the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.

    You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
    the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
    running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
    up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
    gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
    year. 8*)

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
    >>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
    >
    > You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
    > the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
    > running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
    > up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
    > gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
    > year. 8*)

    I'm actually waiting for the dual core as well, as the LGA775 leaves me void
    of enthusiasm.....

    Stew

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
    >>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
    >
    > You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
    > the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
    > running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
    > up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
    > gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
    > year. 8*)

    Or build your own and switch to AMD Athlon 64 CPU with dual SLI
    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe&langs=09

    Craig

    The voltage is different, the pin assignments are also different, and
    the support logic (chipset) needed is different. The mobile P4, mobile
    P4-m, desktop P4 and Pentium M all use the same socket, and are all
    mutually incompatible with each other.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > The voltage is different, the pin assignments are also different, and the
    > support logic (chipset) needed is different. The mobile P4, mobile P4-m,
    > desktop P4 and Pentium M all use the same socket, and are all mutually
    > incompatible with each other.

    Which brings up the confusing model/labeling of chips used in Intel mobile
    chipsets.

    - mobile P4

    - P4-m

    - Pentium M

    What is the distinction other than one of them is actually desktop chip that
    runs in notebook systems?

    Stew

Dell Dimension Processors Computers