Type II deck idea 1: Land Destruction

hawkwind

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

It's a very slow day at work, so I've been playing around with some
more off-the-wall ideas for type II decks. Please critique away, but
please keep in mind that these exist solely as ideas, at lease right
now. I haven't built them, much less tested them.

Main Deck
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Sakura Tribe Elder
4x Viridian Shaman
4x Kodama's Reach
4x Stone Rain
4x Molten Rain
4x Reap & Sow
3x Panoptic Mirror
3x Fireball
4x Magma Jet
1x Kodama of the North Tree
1x Jugan, the Rising Star
8x Forest
8x Mountain
4x Cloudpost

Sideboard
2x Furnace Dragon
4x Naturalize
1x Duplicant
1x Triskelion
3x Granulate
4x ????

Back in the day, this was one of the most annoying decks I ever played
against. The idea is simple: if your opponent has no mana base, he
can't win. Hit the ground running with the land destruction, and once
you have enough mana, either pound away with your fatties or fireball
for the win. I don't know if it will work, especially with as fast as
the standard environment is right now, but I think it has a chance.
Let me know what you think I can do to improve it....

Scott

On 2005-01-11, Hawkwind <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It's a very slow day at work, so I've been playing around with some
> more off-the-wall ideas for type II decks. Please critique away, but

> 4x Viridian Shaman

Instead of the Shamans, I'm wondering Shatters or Echoing Ruin. These can be
used for both artifact destruction, and -more thematically- artifact land
destruction. Paying two to wipe out two or three land can be nice. Depends
on your metagame, I suppose.

> 4x Reap & Sow

you definitely want these to find your cloudposts.

> 1x Kodama of the North Tree

I'm not sure about the North Tree in this deck. Sure, he's powerful, but a
steep cost for only 8 forests.

> 1x Jugan, the Rising Star

I'm wondering if Ryusei would be better here. Usually, Jugan would be
superior, but you don't look like you're relying on ground creatures, so the
effect could be good for you. Plus, if Jugan falls, you have to put his
counters somewhere, and they couldn't go on a north tree. I suppose winning
with a 5/6 birds of paradise would be pretty funny, though.

In my current land destruction deck, I'm running Zo-Zu, the Punisher. I'm not
entirely convinced of his worth yet, but causing them to lose life everytime
they try to replenish their mana supply is pretty decent. Also, I'm running
Seismic Assault (also a steep mana cost for you with RRR) but he allows those
mid-game land draws to become free shocks, which is nice. Also, if you went
this route, I'd think about replacing the Reach with the Journey of
Discovery. With that, you can search out some lands early, but later (with
Zo-Zu and Seismic in play) you can just put them in your hand and discard them
for 4 damage. With this route, I think you'd want to take out the fireballs,
as you're no longer getting all the land into play, so that kind of changes a
good part of it.

> 8x Forest
> 8x Mountain
> 4x Cloudpost

Has this been enough mana in play-testing? You have a lot of ways to get
land, so I suppose it is. 20 seems low, but you'll definitely be ahead of
your opponent later on. I just worry about not enough in the first couple
rounds, if you're not drawing a forest and bird or tribe elder.
Since you do rely upon forests so much, I'd think another one or two would
really help.

Also, I think Erich recently posted a good post concerning an LD deck. Might
have been in the thread I started about a red deck in december. Not sure,
though.

Let me know what you do, though. I've had it in mind to change my all-red LD
deck to R/G but have not had the time yet.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

One other creature I forgot to mention is Rootrunner. Might be nicer if he
were cheaper and a 2/2, but it could be a good addition to the deck, if you're
looking for creatures. putting his ability on the stack is nice if you're
going to lose him anyway.

Rootrunner
{2}{G}{G}
Creature -- Spirit
3/3
{G}{G}, Sacrifice ~this~: Put target land on the top of its owner's
library. Soulshift 3 (When this is put into a graveyard from play, you may
return target Spirit card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your
graveyard to your hand.)

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net